Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the statement regarding cookies does not apply to you, feel free to ignore it.

Regarding the rest of it, I think I made it very clear (others seem to have understood it just fine) that it is an issue that I am working on.

We understand your frustrations. A lot of ours have been accelerated because we haven’t been hearing back from anyone on multiple points so it has not been clear at all to us up until you posted that earlier today.

That’s generally out of the ordinary in our experience here, and it has provoked valid member inquiry. Please realize that none of us wish to be whiners or complainers and have been clear in expressing that multiple times. We feel bad for asking more than once and that also adds to our frustrations.

Fyi to be clear, everything that has been mentioned thus far for troubleshooting has been tried by 99.9% here. From Cookies to flat screen, to blockers, VPN, caches, Apple, Chrome, night to evening, busy threads, etc. We have been sharing amongst ourselves what we have tried and are always trying to help each other.

It’s been 9 weeks. Can you please let us know if your estimated time of possibly more weeks to months mentioned upthread is from this point forward? Ongoing Communication and Clarity is vital for us.

Your hard work and efforts are much appreciated.

This does not mean you will not see slow downs. Heck, pageviews are up 29% just since yesterday.

This also does not mean I am done making adjustments. There is a lot to do, it will take at least a couple of weeks.

Just timed out (503) again. At 1:25 EDT.

I guess we can still expect time outs at various times until Dave is done.

OT: Maybe I can get some needed tasks done. :) I’m off to refresh our outdated emergency “go bags.” We are dealing with multiple fires here in Southern Oregon/far Northern CA (a fire just blew up near Redding) and several friends had to evacuate temporarily last week. One careless person, arsonist or lightning strike and we could be next. Ugh.

I hope my information sharing isn't perceived as complaining. I'm assuming the tech guy wants to know when the site isn't working.

Having spent more years than I'll admit around tech support staff, this situation must be driving them crazy. It seems to be so transient.

In my day, the worst situations were stalemates between hardware and software support staff. "It isn't our problem." "Well, it certainly isn't ours." Could go back and forth for days.

I hope my information sharing isn't perceived as complaining. I'm assuming the tech guy wants to know when the site isn't working.

Having spent more years than I'll admit around tech support staff, this situation must be driving them crazy. It seems to be so transient.

In my day, the worst situations were stalemates between hardware and software support staff. "It isn't our problem." "Well, it certainly isn't ours." Could go back and forth for days.

Not perceived as complaining at all. :) I was just quoting Dave’s reply to me, which seemed to indicate we can continue to expect slowdowns. So I assumed he didn’t need our continued reports and was trying to save us all the time and trouble to report. But maybe he does need them.

Do you want us to report, Dave?

Thanks Dave. But I never had any of this happen on the old platform and I’ve always used an iPad (I’ve had this one since before the switch). So I really do think there must be something else going on causing the keyboard to cover the reply box and the jerking/refusal to scroll. But fixing the slow site should clearly take priority over researching this annoyance. :)

Lillibet, I have this a lot. Sometimes pressing return takes me to the correct place to reply and prevents the messed up quote ( if I remember to do it that is.)

Dear Jax49,

Unless Dave says he doesn't need any more information on the problem like he just posted we welcome sharing and help and suggestions. What gets to me on a personal level is when people are snarky and just being jerks. We offer a free service and we do the best we can. Dave works literally night and day, mods work their behinds off, we are a very busy, active, and at times, understaffed group but we love what we do because we want to help others. So when someone makes a sarcastic remark or complains because we are not working fast enough to fix a problem I feel that is just rude. Tell us the problems you are having, if you have a suggestion please offer it but don't be rude. Imagine if you invited a bunch of people to your house for a big party. You work hard to try and make the party and everything about it a successful event. Imagine someone, who is there for free, complaining because you are not getting their food fast enough, or you are not asking them often enough to refill their drinks and they make snarky comments. That's how I look at Websleuths.

I know how hard our group works to keep Websleuths running. That's why I take those remakes so personally.

Thanks,
Tricia

Lillibet, I have this a lot. Sometimes pressing return takes me to the correct place to reply and prevents the messed up quote ( if I remember to do it that is.)

Thanks! I’ll try that. :)

Here’s another issue to throw into the mix. Perhaps it’s been addressed and I haven’t seen it.

I use an standard size iPad. When my reply to a quoted post gets past a certain length, my keyboard covers my typing. Turning my iPad to a vertical position gives me a little more room, but not much. Typing blind isn’t easy. o_O This limitation on space never happened on the old platform.

Another thing that happens even before that point is that I can’t scroll back very far to see the quoted comment or what I’ve written without the screen having convulsions, jerking and refusing to scroll. In fact, the length of this post prevents me from scrolling up or down and the screen jerks when I try.

Is there a line or word limit now imposed that causes this? It forces me to be more concise, but sometimes that isn’t possible. :p
Lilibet, you could try spliting up your keyboard when your posts get too long and you can no longer see what you type. I don't know if it will help much, but maybe it is worth the try.
I do it like this: I simultaneously tap the F key with my left thumb, the H key with the right one, and while holding, I move them horizontally towards the exterior of the screen, like literally trying to split the screen in two. The keyboard splits into two parts, each quite a bit smaller, but the typing area becomes more visible. When you are done, you do the opposite motion and it comes back to full size. HTH.

I'll just chime in again. I havent had any issue except a little slow mid day today because so many where on the mollie tibbetts page (imo). If blocking the content is what worked then isn't safe to assume its the ads messing it up? I have never had to do that for any other site. Other sites run smoothly w more people without having to block content. I understand you're needing/wanting the ad revenue, maybe find ads that dont mess so much w the site. Idk. Facebook & reddit are free as well no issues viewing them is all im saying. Im pretty clueless w this stuff, im just saying what im seeing.

Thank you dave for trying to reply & explain.

Im glad the issues are being addressed.
I dont do facebook (only to look at case stuff) or tweet or reddit. I need this site like i need morning coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x