Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on a thread the other day (don't recall which one, sorry) but it did have a delete button! I said - Oh Boy & I went to another thread to let them know there was a delete button now, but that thread didn't have one - ??

I tried posting this 3 times. Opened another tab - and it was still in the Reply box and hit Post. And then it worked....

updating the database Dave? No error messages, just the black little square (top right) swirling around....

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but for the last week or so, when it’s get to around 12pm UK time, websleuths loads very slow and I can’t like any posts and struggle to load threads :/

I was on a thread the other day (don't recall which one, sorry) but it did have a delete button! I said - Oh Boy & I went to another thread to let them know there was a delete button now, but that thread didn't have one - ??

I tried posting this 3 times. Opened another tab - and it was still in the Reply box and hit Post. And then it worked....

updating the database Dave? No error messages, just the black little square (top right) swirling around....

Private forums have a delete button, public forums do not. That is the way it has been since the change and the way the admins have decided it should be.

@WS Admin
Deleted

Forget this one, Dave. Apparently what I questioned only shows for me on my prifile page. All is good.​

Last edited:
@WS Admin
Privacy can be important to many, but I don't know if these settings are working correctly for everyone. I would prefer my current status and online presence is not shown, and I did not check the boxes in settings for it to appear. Yet it seems they are still available for everyone to see.

Does this setting work, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Spells, I follow you so you would usually show up under "Members Online Now: People You Follow:" But, you do not. So, I cannot see your online status. I don't think anyone else can either.

Was Websleuths hacked? I was on the Mollie Tibbetts thread when my screen automatically refreshed, and some bot *advertiser censored* stuff showed up. I had to download a bot killer software and use immunization on my browser.

Was Websleuths hacked? I was on the Mollie Tibbetts thread when my screen automatically refreshed, and some bot *advertiser censored* stuff showed up. I had to download a bot killer software and use immunization on my browser.
Sorry for o/t but your post combined with your profile picture/avatar made me break out in giggles.

Question for all:

We have established that we don’t have issues with any other sites including other sites powered by XenF that some members have expressed.

Does anyone notice a slight difference on any device in speed overall when not logged into WS? I noticed when I log out of WS, clear caches, cookies, etc that my devices run at optimum. It’s not a huge variation but nonetheless it is still a concern as to why this would be happening at all?

Dave@WS Admin, I’d like to hear your thoughts on this, can you please comment.
FYI: I also didn’t get a response on how long the work you are doing to make the necessary changes will take.

Returning dialogue is greatly appreciated.

Question for all:

We have established that we don’t have issues with any other sites including other sites powered by XenF that some members have expressed.

Does anyone notice a slight difference on any device in speed overall when not logged into WS? I noticed when I log out of WS, clear caches, cookies, etc that my devices run at optimum. It’s not a huge variation but nonetheless it is still a concern as to why this would be happening at all?

FYI: I also didn’t get a response on how long the work you are doing to make the necessary changes will take.

You have to separate Dave from @WSAdmin - otherwise, I don't think he'll see it.

@WS Admin , @Tricia or anyone else - how can I search by prefix? I like to keep up on cases in my state, but when I try to search by KS it tells me my search term is too short or too common. I did find the ability to search by prefix in the advanced search option, but still had to use a keyword, and when I used KS for the keyword I was given the same result of too short/common. Is a search by prefix without keyword something that is possible?

Thanks!

Question for all:

Re your "question for all" - I only get problems on this site and haven't experienced improvement yet.

After reading others' issues, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth.

I work on an old desktop and laptop (I'm old & old fashioned, I guess). When WS first moved, this site would just lock up the desktop. I'd have to open Task Mgr, wait while the little circle went around and around til the TM window came up and end Firefox just to make the desktop usable again. It didn't lock up the laptop .... until recently, say in the past week or so. I had one topic I was trying to open in a new window and at the bottom of the screen it kept saying TLS Handshake. Well, it kept shaking hands and didn't go any further. Task Mgr - end FF and try again. I eventually just got off the site and came back later.

What I did notice is that when the site has ads at the bottom of the page, that's when the trouble begins. Right now, on the laptop, there are no ads at the bottom and I've got no problems. The ads at the top and side don't seem to affect performance at all. I've got WS open on the desktop - no ads on the bottom and it seems to be working fine.

I'm not exactly tech savvy but, for me anyway, I think it's the location of those bottom ads that are slowing things down.

I don't experience these issues with other sites.

I have a lot of problems with the 'like' button. Sometimes it sends me to a new page where it just says "are you sure you want to like this post". I'm curious what causes that to happen and if the process could be causing server-side issues that slow down the taking of a 'like'?

When a page loads here it loads fine, especially given that my current connection is slow. The problem is more that I hit the page number for the next page and it hangs for ages instead of moving there straight away. Then the 'like' button hangs and doesn't want to take. And the 'post reply' button has the same problem. Is that purely down to server load, or are there possible issues in those particular places when they communicate with the server?

I'm glad to know the loading issues aren't all at my end and that it's being worked on. Thanks to WSadmin and others who are helping to troubleshoot and fix the issues. I like to use the 'like' button a lot, so I am looking forward to it all being fixed and being able to hit 'like' to my heart's content :) But in the meantime I'll try to just give up if it doesn't work first time in order to try to reduce the loads on that part of the server communication...I hope *everyone* knows their posts are much appreciated, but it's always nice to show gratitude for a kind or well thought out post, or agreement with a post, with a 'like'.

I have a lot of problems with the 'like' button. Sometimes it sends me to a new page where it just says "are you sure you want to like this post". I'm curious what causes that to happen and if the process could be causing server-side issues that slow down the taking of a 'like'?

That is a JavaScript problem. I have gotten so fed up with the bad JavaScripts here that I just keep JavaScript turned off for this site. It breaks a lot of the functionality of the forum, and it gives me that "are you sure you want to like this post" all the time, but it's still a lot faster than having JavaScript turned on. I was just trying to reply to a post on my desktop computer which has JavaScript turned on, and it wouldn't even let me post the reply. I would just hang when I tried. So I got back on my laptop with JavaScript turned off and I was able to post without any problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member