What would YOU do kept on plane;stranded on Hwy,zero and snow

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
eve said:
My boss told me I had to take a day without pay one time when I called in and said that all the schools were closed in the area surrounding my residence so I wouldn't be in even though the school I taught in was open. Conditions were white-out. Hardly any students came and all my workmates wanted me to stay put. I stayed put and still resent the no-pay. I figure I put my life on the line as it is teaching at-risk teens in this day and age. If I just would have lied and said "I am sick," no problem. Brother.

Eve

This is why employees are no longer loyal to the companies they work for. We are business owners, and things happen. You need to treat people like you'd like to be treated. I know it's probably not right...but if in a situation like this (in the future), I'd just say I was sick.

When bad weather is in the forecast, we always have our employees take work home with them so they can stay home and work from home (if they want). But some of the employees can't do that...so they just miss a day. I don't want to put my life at risk, why would I want others to do the same?

I've never been delayed while actually in the plane but If i was, I would probably have freaked out a bit---Claustrophobia would be apparent to me after about only an hour, let alone 8 hours---One woman said it happened to her in Texas once and the toilets overflowed--the whole plane then smelled like a port-o-potty yikes--

Peter Hamilton said:
I've never been delayed while actually in the plane but If i was, I would probably have freaked out a bit---Claustrophobia would be apparent to me after about only an hour, let alone 8 hours---One woman said it happened to her in Texas once and the toilets overflowed--the whole plane then smelled like a port-o-potty yikes--
Ewww that's bad. But Peter, if one can be on a plane for let's say, 8 hours flying, then why not 8 hours sitting on the tarmac (provided they get food/drinks etc.)? Yes I know an 8 hour flight is getting you (general you) somewhere, and sitting there isn't. ;) What I'm really trying to ask is would you only be claustrofobic if the plane is sitting there, or also while flying? Just curious. :)

Oh my God.. now that would of just made me even more mad...lol

Peter Hamilton said:

JanetElaine said:
Ewww that's bad. But Peter, if one can be on a plane for let's say, 8 hours flying, then why not 8 hours sitting on the tarmac (provided they get food/drinks etc.)? Yes I know an 8 hour flight is getting you (general you) somewhere, and sitting there isn't. ;) What I'm really trying to ask is would you only be claustrofobic if the plane is sitting there, or also while flying? Just curious. :)

In my case, the plane was just sitting, so no fresh air was circulating, making it hotter and hotter. Then people were up and moving around, standing in the aisles making the plane feel even smaller.

When I fly I can get over the claustrophobia feeling by having the air blow in my face and and then reading, or listening to music with my eyes closed, etc. There also aren't too many people wandering the aisles when the plane is in flight. When there is a problem with the plane being delayed for takeoff, I can't concentrate on reading or listening to music and too mervous.

2luvmy said:
In my case, the plane was just sitting, so no fresh air was circulating, making it hotter and hotter.
See that's what I thought strange about that 8 hour stuck flight I mentioned earlier too. We were just sitting there too, for 6 hours in the scorching heat, and we did have fresh air.

I think the airlines should be OBLIGATED to tell passengers if they expect a delay in the departure of over an hour. There should be a law, and the passengers should be allowed to decide if they want to stay on the plane or take another flight. This is legal kidnaping, and it is an outrage! :furious:

What if a diabetic was takening a 2 hr. flight, and held hostage on the tarmac for 10 hrs.? It could result in the diabetic going into insulin shock for lack of food. Also, there might be helpless animals or infants traveling who need food and water.

This happened to me once when the plane backed out of the gate then announced we would be sitting on the tarmac for 2-3 hrs. I missed my connecting flight and had to be rerouted. I arrived at my destination 10 hrs. late, and ruined my plans for the day. I am VERY sympathetic to anyone caught in this outrageous situation.

JanetElaine said:

I'm with Peter on this one - I do fine in the air for a 2 or 3 hour flight, but to sit there for 8, 10, 12 hours, without the damn thing moving would make my claustrophobia set in.

Kinda like I can go up and down in an elevator, no problem, but if that damn thing stops - you better get me out QUICK!

Thanks, Poco. That's very interesting. Thank goodness I don't have experience with claustrophobia, that's why I'm so curious.... We're always in our own world when we're on an airplane anyway, so what other people do doesn't bother me (walking around etc.).

Pepper, I agree there should be a law or rules or whatever, I am starting to see we were lucky on that flight when we got stuck... I'm trying to remember which airline it was, we flew so many, always get the cheapest LOL..... They did all they could to keep us informed and comfortable (drinks, fresh air etc.) and even said if anyone wanted to get off the plane they'd make sure we could go back to the terminal.

curious1 said:
Hee, exiting would not be a problem for me, I would probably be thrown off.
Yes, LOL......I just had this conversation with my daughter. I told her I'd know as soon as I figured it was HER plane that ......I'd be lining up a bail bondsman. She is very much into being lawfull.......but, would in no way or form.....stay on that enclosed plane for hours. As soon as she gets into that spot......I'll have to have a lawyer and whatever else it takes.
Because tonight they said there was "no air" in the plane.........so she'd hit the exit door. I am for law and order......rules.....etc. But, I wouldn't blame her one bit. Sometimes rules have to be broken.....especially if they are "Nuts" :silenced:
( actually, myself......I'd be thrown off too.....giggggggggglllllllesssssss/
One more lawyer pleeeeeeease)

Pepper said:
IWhat if a diabetic was takening a 2 hr. flight, and held hostage on the tarmac for 10 hrs.? It could result in the diabetic going into insulin shock for lack of food.
[/

An you know what Pepper, someone was diabetic on the plane......but a very sweet passenger gave some of her snacks to him.......
It always takes "special" people to help the World run smooth............

JanetElaine said:
Thanks, Poco. That's very interesting. Thank goodness I don't have experience with claustrophobia, that's why I'm so curious.... We're always in our own world when we're on an airplane anyway, so what other people do doesn't bother me (walking around etc.).

Pepper, I agree there should be a law or rules or whatever, I am starting to see we were lucky on that flight when we got stuck... I'm trying to remember which airline it was, we flew so many, always get the cheapest LOL..... They did all they could to keep us informed and comfortable (drinks, fresh air etc.) and even said if anyone wanted to get off the plane they'd make sure we could go back to the terminal.
You know what JanetE......I have been in a plane for 11/12 hours and have been just fine. Its the "being on the tarmac"....with "no air".....knowing your not going anywhere...., tight space. Overflowing toliets.......Just plain stuck......and feeling quite trapped. ( because right now, there is nothing we could do about it).......I'd rather go to jail I guess.....might be a tad bit more space and some AC..:D :behindbar JetBlue...let me out......Thank you

Sundayrain said:
You know what JanetE......I have been in a plane for 11/12 hours and have been just fine. Its the "being on the tarmac"....with "no air".....knowing your not going anywhere...., tight space. Overflowing toliets.......Just plain stuck......and feeling quite trapped. ( because right now, there is nothing we could do about it).......I'd rather go to jail I guess.....might be a tad bit more space and some AC..:D :behindbar JetBlue...let me out......Thank you

I'm with you. I can't imagine being stuck on a plane for that length of time.

JanetElaine said:
---No, I'm not claustrophobic while flying and I've flown across the country several times--but just sitting there not moving, like poco said, would grate on me--I find flying is fun once you level off, I happen to like seeing the clouds from up there at 30,000 feet:)

JanetElaine said:
See that's what I thought strange about that 8 hour stuck flight I mentioned earlier too. We were just sitting there too, for 6 hours in the scorching heat, and we did have fresh air.
I am a severe asthmatic, they better have the plane running and air circulating if they expect me to sit there more then an hour. I would not be able to breathe in the heat and stale air. If I didn't get off the plane under my own power (which I probably would :D)they would be wheeling my *advertiser censored* off on a stretcher.

FlowerChild said:
My sympathies are with all of you in the frozen part of the US. It's even cold here, but sunny and no precip.
In N Texas they close EVERYTHING if 3 flakes fall and stick. There are no plows, just some sand and de-ice for bridges. DH's company closes if the schools are closed - which they are if there is ANY frozen precip. of any variety. Here, we just don't "do" snow. I used to live in OK and KS and I DO know how to drive in snow and ice but most Texans do not. I stay home out of fear of :crazy: THEM, not the weather.
Hang in guys, spring IS coming - hope all of you stay safe and warm and that you thaw out soon!
Flowerchild-where are you? I am North of Frisco about 30 min.

Peter Hamilton said:
---No, I'm not claustrophobic while flying and I've flown across the country several times--but just sitting there not moving, like poco said, would grate on me--I find flying is fun once you level off, I happen to like seeing the clouds from up there at 30,000 feet:)
I was stuck on one for about 5 hours once-It was a charter and didn't have permission to use one of the gates. I was pregnant and feeling really crappy just sitting there. No food was available after the initial cookies were all handed out. Someone was feeling charitable for me and the baby and gave me a muffin. It is not something I ever want to repeat. That plane was starting to smell really bad.

Well, I think only this morning ....Friday.....that the cars and trucks are finally getting to move off of 78 in Pa. I was listening to the Fox channel ...and they said there is mention that the SP knew the highway was not going to be travelable......They ( I guess the stuck people) are asking why the exits were not opened up so people would be lead off of the highway rather then Westward. It took an awful long time for the National Guard to arrive.
I am betting some heartfelt stories will come out of this.......People helping people......Overnight in that blizzard with kids would be the worst.
Truckers......they would be use to it, I'm sure.

I have never heard of this happening before.....except for an accident..and that would be for a brief time.
Route 80......in Stroudsburg.....at the Delaware Water Gap is "closed."
This is the main route from East to West. Travels all the way to California.
They are towing trucks off of 80 and route 81.
This stops completely any New Jersey/NY traffic heading westward......unreal.
There is only one small one lane way around this and that is to take route 611.
I understand that is packed full of traffic. It is a winding road that hugs a mountain and is above the Delaware River area.....not made for big time traffic.
Usually traffic from NJ and NY would then try to go west on 78.....but, as we know that is barely moving. So........at this point.......it is a good time to park it....put the fireplace on, and read a good book. Sounds good...:p

Nova said:
And of course you would immediately be arrested and charged with creating a disturbance on an airplane.

Since there is almost no way the passengers can act for themselves without breaking a law, I think there should be strict laws as to how long an airline can hold passengers hostage.

My thought exactly Nova.

I was also thinking could probably crash a door, get arrested, and at least be in a jail cell instead of trapped on a runway for 10 hours in an airline seat.

Jail cell is bigger than airline seat anyway.
With a good attorney, could probably be OUT of jail on bond within 10 hours.

I agree those laws need to go both ways. They need to deplane people if there is a delay of a certain time period.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back