Where will the jury come from?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MacDill AFB is in Tampa, 101 miles from Orlando. I don't see any jury selection coming from there though. Although the base would fulfill the "restricted" criteria, I'm not aware of jury selections conducted on any military bases or posts. Their military justice system is completely separate and apart from civilians.

Most military keep their licenses from their home state, too. Unless they own property and plan on staying in Florida they would not show up on the juror selection listings. jmo

Haven't read this whole thread yet, but wanted to bring up that the Gary Michael Hilton trial in Tallahassee was seated in just three days. This was also purported to be a huge trial.

The problems associated with seating the jury and discussion are on the first two pages of the thread listed below. Very interesting to compare the two.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120979"]Gary Hilton - Cheryl Dunlap murder TRIAL - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

MacDill AFB is in Tampa, 101 miles from Orlando. I don't see any jury selection coming from there though. Although the base would fulfill the "restricted" criteria, I'm not aware of jury selections conducted on any military bases or posts. Their military justice system is completely separate and apart from civilians.

I agree - I don't think they would select a jury of military personnel or their families. 1) Active military can be deployed at any time 2) If one parent is deployed and the other gets jury duty that requires months of sequestration then there would most likely be child care issues.

I know a guy who was deployed one month after his wife had their second child. It was his second tour and he had two weeks notice. Most military folks don't have family close to help with childcare because they move around so much.

Haven't read this whole thread yet, but wanted to bring up that the Gary Michael Hilton trial in Tallahassee was seated in just three days. This was also purported to be a huge trial.

The problems associated with seating the jury and discussion are on the first two pages of the thread listed below. Very interesting to compare the two.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120979&page=17

And that jury was found in the same place as the trial.

I checked my link on my message up above (#342) and it comes up on the wrong page. I couldn't go back and edit, but if you click on it, go to page 1 at the link. Thanks.

I'm not too familiar with Florida but I have a feeling the jury may get called from a military base area, based on HHJP's remarks about restricted media, etc. Is there a base near, but not too near Orlando? JMO

Patrick Air Force Base is in Brevard County and approximately 66 miles from Orlando. Then you have Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at about the same distance.

I agree if they have their residence in another state, they won't be called. But alot of them are from Florida (at PAFB).

Patrick Air Force Base is in Brevard County and approximately 66 miles from Orlando. Then you have Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at about the same distance.

I agree if they have their residence in another state, they won't be called. But alot of them are from Florida (at PAFB).

I also believe that on all jury questionnaires it asks if you are an active member of the military forces.

I hope it is Tallahasse too, I hope you get picked JDzWife!!

Justice for Caylee

The coverage of this case is widespread in Florida. I live on the east coast near Cape Canaveral and this entire area is covered by the Orlando stations. I would think that places such as Cape Canaveral, DeLand and Daytona, would definitely be excluded. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Tampa area in the past two years. The coverage isn't as intense as it is here, but the case is well known.
I think the most likely place is the Panhandle area. I also think that the young working category of potential jurors will have little knowledge of this case. Of course, I would suspect that this category will have a lot of parents of young children also and I kind of think that is not the juror the DT wants.

One of the biggest obstacles in the jury selection will be the hardship factor. A trial beginning in May is at the tail end of the school year for families with children and college students.

While an ideal juror may not be a conventional parent, there will be many of them called for jury selection. I suspect that one of the VERY FIRST questions will address children and summer vacation as a possible hardship.

While I do agree that sequestration is a must in this case.....I am also cognizant of the stress it will create for the jurors and their families.

I can only hope that adequate provisions are made for supervised family visits that allow for more than a group setting.

A well balanced juror is a benefit to each side. Their mental health and well being must be a priority. Access to a therapist during trial is just as important as movies, games, and activities.

A while back, Baez was whining about the camera and people looking at the computer, etc. Judge Perry gave them the option of moving their position to the side of the room.

Anyone hear if Baez is going to do that for the trial? (in which case they would be facing the jury directly across the room) The pictures posted of the courtroom show that this is possible (there are desks facing the jury)

You know what I don't understand? If all they can leave Orlando at 8am and be at the designated place to begin jury selection on time, then why do they need hotel/motel accommodations if it's that close? (Our report time for jury selection is 8:30am ~ I imagine that's pretty normal.) :waitasec:

That's exactly what I thought when I heard him say that! I kept thinking I must have heard him wrong but watched it again and it sure seemed that's what he was saying to me - leave by 8am that morning and be fine???? if that is what he was saying, why didn't the lawyers pick up on it? if it wasn't what he was saying then what DID he mean?

I must go read the rest of the thread now to see if anyone has already answered this - but was so glad someone else had asked about it that I just had to comment.

The traffic in Orlando is horrific at that time of day, with people going to work. I wouldn't suspect that they are going to get very far in 1/2 hour.

What about video conferencing? I'm sure JB wouldn't like that, but seems like it could be done. But JB isn't going to like anything anyway.

A while back, Baez was whining about the camera and people looking at the computer, etc. Judge Perry gave them the option of moving their position to the side of the room.

Anyone hear if Baez is going to do that for the trial? (in which case they would be facing the jury directly across the room) The pictures posted of the courtroom show that this is possible (there are desks facing the jury)

Yes, I believe they mentioned that the other day in court.

What about video conferencing? I'm sure JB wouldn't like that, but seems like it could be done. But JB isn't going to like anything anyway.

Hey maybe you are on to something.

Remember the last week HHJP said they all needed to get familar or asked if they were familar(something like that) with how all that equipment worked.

I need to go back and rewatch that part again. Wasn't it towards the very end on Friday?

I'm having some concerns about who will be able to be jurors.How many moms can leave their kids for a minimum of 8 weeks,sequestered?

I'm having some concerns about who will be able to be jurors.How many moms can leave their kids for a minimum of 8 weeks,sequestered?

I would think that it would be no different then the Mom's that serve our country for months on end. JMO

I'm not too familiar with Florida but I have a feeling the jury may get called from a military base area, based on HHJP's remarks about restricted media, etc. Is there a base near, but not too near Orlando? JMO

Yes, Patrick Air Force Base is south of Cocoa Beach in Brevard county..
that is apart from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back