Whose gotten burned on e-bay?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BirdieBoo,
I thought that exact same thing but when I tried to dispute something with my credit card company that I bought with paypal I was told I can not do it because paypal was the 3rd party involved. The credit card company would not do anything. They stated paypal had handle it. They would not get involved because paypal was a 3rd party just collecting the $$$.

alpharee said:
BirdieBoo,
I thought that exact same thing but when I tried to dispute something with my credit card company that I bought with paypal I was told I can not do it because paypal was the 3rd party involved. The credit card company would not do anything. They stated paypal had handle it. They would not get involved because paypal was a 3rd party just collecting the $$$.
I guess you need to have a credit card with "purchase protection"...I have done this with my credit card and they said the same thing, that paypal was the 3rd party but they did it anyway and paypal paid up and took the money back from the seller. I had to file written documents with them as well.

I bought a used computer monitor that was all blurry! When I tried to send it back, the guy had disappeared.

I would never buy off ebay something that I can get locally. Never been burned. I am picky about what type of stuff I would buy off ebay. Many people I know of bought their close to new BMWs cars off ebay. I am tempted to get another car off ebay.(I don't need anymore cars!)

gardenmom said:
I won a coat for my daughter 10/19, and just got it 11/17. I had e-mailed this woman twice asking her where the coat was. The first time she took awhile ansering me back, finally on 11/5 saying that paypal was messed up and she wasn't able to see my info.I thought this was strange since I had just paid for my transcripts and had no problem. So I said no problem, just get it mailed out. So after I got it I saw that she hadn't even mailed it out until 11/12. As if that wasn't bad enough the coat had little tears in the sleeves and wrists. The description said "no tears, rips, etc, excellent condition. So I e-mailed her again, telling her I was upset that it took almost a month to get, and was not as described. I told her I wanted a refund, including shipping. I gave her 48 hours to respond (since in the past she took her time), or I would leave negative feedback. Then the next day I got an e-mail from paypal saying she had refunded the shipping only! No e-mail from her, no message on pay pal.So, I left bad feedback. I hated doing that, but I think it was justified, what do you guys think? I will have to eat the cost of the coat, which was only like $12. I figure I will just donate the coat to coats for kids. I might not have minded the tears if I had gotten it at a yardsale for a couple bucks, at least I would have known what I bought. I don't normally buy on e-bay, so I could kick myself. It was a nice looking Gap coat, and my daughter needed one, so I figured what the heck.
Hi Gardenmom! I'm an ebay seller and have been for five years. I've also done quite a bit of buying ;), gotta love those Longaberger baskets! The majority of the experiences I have had are great! Just like anything else though, I've had a bad one here and there. Don't let this one get you down! As a seller, I do what I can to make the buyer happy...I've refunded payments in full plus shipping and told the buyer to keep the item. As a buyer, I expect my item to be as described and arrive in a timely fashion. I do check others feedback before bidding. Did you check into getting a complete refund through PayPal? If the item wasn't as described, you should be able to. I hate leaving negatives too but have done so! If you ever need any ebay help, just pm me!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to WS, but couldn't resist replying to this Ebay thread.

I've bought things on Ebay for several years and have been generally happy with what I purchased, but I was surprised about a year ago when I got an email from an unhappy customer who wanted to know why I hadn't shipped the cappuccino maker he bought (for $300+ dollars) from me.

One problem.

I don't sell things on Ebay. I only use it for purchases.

Someone had somehow hacked my Ebay username and used it to sell a product fraudulently. When he (or she) didn't deliver, the angry customer came looking for me. I had the unhappy task of writing this unfortunate guy and telling him that we both had been ripped off. Someone had stolen my good name and then used it to steal his money.

Fortunately, he believed me and was very gracious. I don't know if he ever got his money back. Probably not, as he apparently paid with a money order. I changed my UN and PW and do not take online security for granted anymore.

I've never figured out how they managed to get into my account.

Anyway, that's my Ebay story.

JimPence

Hi JimPence. The main way they do this is through spoof emails. They (The criminal) send an email that looks as if it is officially from ebay, asking you to click on a link to log in. When you click that link, you are taken to a site that looks like the ebay login site. But it's really not, its a page where they are getting your Username & password. So if you EVER get an email from ebay, do not log in through the link in the email. Real ebay emails do not ask you to log in through a link. You should send that email to spoof@ebay.com if you should get one, and never click on any links because it can do much worse than just your ebay info, it can install a trojan that will log your keystrokes and get ALL your passwords, including bank info, etc.

Thanks, BirdieBoo.

I don't remember doing that, but these old gray cells are getting grayer all the time. ;)

I know that a phony email from PayPal almost snagged me one time. I was merrily filling out the form to "update" my information when the form asked me for my ATM card number and PIN. Hey, I may be dull, but I'm not THAT dull. I immediately stopped filling out the form and closed the window.

I'd be tempted to think that perhaps this was the way they got my Ebay info, but there's a problem with that. My Ebay and PayPal logins are different, and so are the passwords. However, it's possible that they put a trojan on my computer through that site. The problem with that is that none of my other numbers appear to have been compromised, and this was more than a year ago that it happened.

Tis a mystery. I'm just thankful that the damage wasn't any worse.

JimPence

BirdieBoo said:
Hi JimPence. The main way they do this is through spoof emails. They (The criminal) send an email that looks as if it is officially from ebay, asking you to click on a link to log in. When you click that link, you are taken to a site that looks like the ebay login site. But it's really not, its a page where they are getting your Username & password. So if you EVER get an email from ebay, do not log in through the link in the email. Real ebay emails do not ask you to log in through a link. You should send that email to spoof@ebay.com if you should get one, and never click on any links because it can do much worse than just your ebay info, it can install a trojan that will log your keystrokes and get ALL your passwords, including bank info, etc.

Actually I think you meant that e-bay will not send out an e-mail to ask you to verify your account, right?

I just purchased a Tepco gravy boat (my newest obsession, white ironstone) and e-bay sent me a very real e-mail letting me know I had been outbid with links so I could up my bid if I still wanted it. They also sent me a confirmation e-mail with links so I could either offer more, or whatever.

This is the bottom of an e-mail I just got from e-bay. I hope this helps clear this up.

Trading guidelines

Your bid is a binding contract with the seller. Click here for more information.

If you are contacted about buying a similar item outside of eBay, please do not respond. Off-eBay transactions are against eBay policy; they are not covered by eBay services such as feedback, $200 buyer protection program, and dispute resolution.

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in an email. Learn how to protect your account.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

My advice: NEVER click a link on an email purporting to be from Ebay. It's just good sense. Go to Ebay and log in the regular way. Takes a little longer, but much safer. Yes, Ebay sends very real emails, but spoofers send very real looking emails, and if you log in from a link that is from a spoofer, you're hosed.

I have gotten spoof emails with the exact same wording that Ebay uses on the bottom, but they go to bogus sites (and the URL looks real-ish, if you don't know what to look for)

gardenmom said:
I won a coat for my daughter 10/19, and just got it 11/17. I had e-mailed this woman twice asking her where the coat was. The first time she took awhile ansering me back, finally on 11/5 saying that paypal was messed up and she wasn't able to see my info.I thought this was strange since I had just paid for my transcripts and had no problem. So I said no problem, just get it mailed out. So after I got it I saw that she hadn't even mailed it out until 11/12. As if that wasn't bad enough the coat had little tears in the sleeves and wrists. The description said "no tears, rips, etc, excellent condition. So I e-mailed her again, telling her I was upset that it took almost a month to get, and was not as described. I told her I wanted a refund, including shipping. I gave her 48 hours to respond (since in the past she took her time), or I would leave negative feedback. Then the next day I got an e-mail from paypal saying she had refunded the shipping only! No e-mail from her, no message on pay pal.So, I left bad feedback. I hated doing that, but I think it was justified, what do you guys think? I will have to eat the cost of the coat, which was only like $12. I figure I will just donate the coat to coats for kids. I might not have minded the tears if I had gotten it at a yardsale for a couple bucks, at least I would have known what I bought. I don't normally buy on e-bay, so I could kick myself. It was a nice looking Gap coat, and my daughter needed one, so I figured what the heck.

I think she needs to refund you for the cost of the coat. The add was misleading. I had a friend who bought a skate board and it came all scratched up and missing the wheels.

Hi, I haven't been back to this thread in awhile, so here is my update. I tried to get the refund via paypal but they said too much time had gone by (anything over 30 from the time you win the auction, which is hokey if your item comes after that, which mine basically did within a couple days). So, I got no money back other than shipping. She finally left me feedback, all it said was "Sheesh", but it was positive. Bad experience. Good thing that came out of it was I donated to coat, like I said and got $1 off at Jamba Juice for donating it at their store, so all was not lost! :dance: I'll never order clothes anymore. I had ordered kids clothes when they were little and I was happy, but once burned is enough for me.

Happy Holidays, ya'all, or should I say MERRY CHRISTMAS! (Evidently that saying is quite the controversy these days!)

boy, do i feel dumb, here ive been telling people not to buy from ebay, disaster witing to happen, but like a dumbass, i went on ebay..i have no idea why i didnt listen to my own advice!!! doh!! i got a bracelet, looked a kid pulled out of cracker jack box.i won it for a penny +SH,it was also supposed to be 5 bracelete, ( close out 'lot') but only one showed up.i am STILL waiting on a few other braceletes ( different seller/tranaction), i just filed a complaint with ebay today.. we'll see. theone i usually goto is bidz.com but they are still owig me about 4 items too.im giving them benifit of doubt because of holidays, but none of my xmas gifts for others have shown up, and its almost xmas!! GGRRR!!!

i hate when you get the item and it is NOT what was described or pictured. when you email the seller to return the item - you hear nothing. then you leave negative feedback and the seller BLASTS YOU. really pisses me off. i no longer buy from ebay.

I get the feeling I have been scammed. I purchased a BowFlex off of ebay on January 6th..made payment of $1600.00 the same day. I then recieved an email from the seller saying it would be shipped the following day, and they would email me tracking numbers. The next day, I received no tracking numbers. I have been emailing 3 times a day everyday, and get no response from the seller. I know they got the money, because I have checked my account and the funds were transferred.

Get ahold of your paypal account and tell them the problem. Was this put on a credit card? Also get ahold of ebay... Tell us the name of the seller and I can ask lots of questions to the moron.... Check and see if he is a seller still.

Timex said:
I get the feeling I have been scammed. I purchased a BowFlex off of ebay on January 6th..made payment of $1600.00 the same day. I then recieved an email from the seller saying it would be shipped the following day, and they would email me tracking numbers. The next day, I received no tracking numbers. I have been emailing 3 times a day everyday, and get no response from the seller. I know they got the money, because I have checked my account and the funds were transferred.
Phone the seller immediately. To get the number, use the automated response system directly from eBay, it's instant. First click on the “Advanced Search” link under the “Search” button in the eBay header. Next, click on the “Find Contact Information” link in the left navigational panel. Enter your seller's ID.

If you are still not satisfied, go back to Ebay and click "help", then "contact us", then "problem with sellers", and file a complaint. Ebay will respond within 48 hours and open a case file. If you need further support, click "Live Help".

I've been trading on Ebay for 6 years, as both buyer and seller. Not everyone who doesn't deliver is dishonest, but there are definitely some. There could be a genuine reason, I can think of three. The best clue is the seller's feedback history. As a general rule, the rating ought to be 99% positive 100+ feedback with a history of trading items of similar value. If there are any negatives, go back far enough to find them and read them. On a big ticket item like this, ask the seller if you can phone them to ask a few questions BEFORE you bid. If they refuse, move on.

Good luck!

Verity

TIMEX.....have you heard anything from your seller? That is way to much money to lose. I hope it all works out.

I sell and buy on ebay off and on. I kind of go in streaks. I get the bug and I'll list some stuff. It is tough selling on ebay because the sellers out number the buyers or at least it seems that way.

I always include the cost of insurance in my shipping/handling price. I learned the hard way. I always do the delivery confirmation too. I sold a pair of expensive teenager jeans to a person. She didn't get insurance and I hadn't caught on to delivery confirmation at that time. She said that the jeans never came. I don't know if they did or not but I had to take her word for it so I reimbursed the cost plus shipping. Now I cover my butt.

I won't sell anything on ebay that I wouldn't buy myself. I sell clothing in excellant condition and it is in excellant condition. What is the sense in lying only to get caught in the lie when the buyer receives the item. Then there is a big mess.

I've had pretty good luck with buying. I've had one weird seller but that was my own fault because I hadn't checked her feedback. I learn the hard way!!
I've found that most sellers are honest and will work with you if you aren't real happy with your item. I'm more than willing to work with buyers if need be. I sold a skirt to a gal and when she washed it it started to unravel at some of the seams. I was horrified. She didn't ask for her money back but just wanted me to know what happened. I sent her a full refund plus shipping. That was only right. She said that she hadn't expected a refund. She was such a nice woman.

I usually end up ripping myself off when it comes to shipping costs. I have a scale but I never get the darn weight right.

I have emailed 3 times a day everyday...no response at all from the seller, and no bowflex. I have contacted paypal, since that is the method of payment I used, but from what I read they will only cover $1000.00 of the purchase price.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back