Why? What was the motive?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not only are assets shared equally in divorce, but the debts as well.

There is no way that Darlie could have stayed in the house and Darin move out to another premises and still support Darlie and the boys by paying all the house and living expenses. They were broke. Flat broke.

Darlie would have no income, Darin's income was not substantial enough to support them while living in the house, let alone all of them living in different locations.

So Darlie would have to get a job(yeah right, with a baby) or move in with relatives. Hardly the lifestyle that she thought she deserved.

So here she is, no job skills, no job, no source of income, and three kids to provide for, because she cannot count on Darin for child support, he of course should pay child support if he is so inclined and has the money.

Darlie would have to scrape, fend for herself, with three kids to take care of, no home of her own.

Remember money and appearances are the end all and be all of her life.

So, we don't know what went though Darlie's disturbed mind. What she thought she would benefit from the death of the boys. I have come to the well founded conclusion(especially the parent of a teenage boy) that what a person does, their justification, their rationalization, their emotional disturbance what ever is going on in their mind, they rationalize it.

We can only speculate, but the the killing of the two boys was done in intense anger. Probably a combination of many things, but in the end Darlie choose to take out her anger at her perceived "lifestyle" change on the two boys as they were the most vulnerable and she could easily blame them, instead of blaming herself and her hubby for the "lifestyle" change.

It is easier to blame others for the problems in your life then to accept responsibility that you played a strong factor through your actions that lead to where you are. In Darlie's mind, the boys were to blame, it was all of their fault.

Just my two cents in here, but from what rock was Darin supposed to get the "chunk" he would have been giving Darlie? THERE WAS NO MONEY.

Yeah but from any other job he may have gotten...I don't mean "chunk" as in one lump payment but a good bit from any money he made working would go towards child support. I think here in Ga for 3 kids it's 27-30% or something like that.
What I meant was a "chunk" of any future paychecks.
My ex-husband made $2000.00 a week when we split, and he was ordered to pay me $500.00 a week child support. Now I know kids get more exspensive as they get older, but at that time that was MORE than enough to support my 2 kids and then some.
If we can say nothing else good about him, Darrin seemed to have a sensible BUSINESS head on his shoulders...whether he lost that business or not he had enough knowledge/skills to go out and find a good paying job.
I know $500 a week child support wouldn't mean crap to Darlie, but like I said, child support goes both ways...Darlie could have just as easily been made to pay child support based on whatever meager wage she'd make.

Not only are assets shared equally in divorce, but the debts as well.

There is no way that Darlie could have stayed in the house and Darin move out to another premises and still support Darlie and the boys by paying all the house and living expenses. They were broke. Flat broke.

Darlie would have no income, Darin's income was not substantial enough to support them while living in the house, let alone all of them living in different locations.

So Darlie would have to get a job(yeah right, with a baby) or move in with relatives. Hardly the lifestyle that she thought she deserved.

So here she is, no job skills, no job, no source of income, and three kids to provide for, because she cannot count on Darin for child support, he of course should pay child support if he is so inclined and has the money.

Darlie would have to scrape, fend for herself, with three kids to take care of, no home of her own.

Remember money and appearances are the end all and be all of her life.

So, we don't know what went though Darlie's disturbed mind. What she thought she would benefit from the death of the boys. I have come to the well founded conclusion(especially the parent of a teenage boy) that what a person does, their justification, their rationalization, their emotional disturbance what ever is going on in their mind, they rationalize it.

We can only speculate, but the the killing of the two boys was done in intense anger. Probably a combination of many things, but in the end Darlie choose to take out her anger at her perceived "lifestyle" change on the two boys as they were the most vulnerable and she could easily blame them, instead of blaming herself and her hubby for the "lifestyle" change.

It is easier to blame others for the problems in your life then to accept responsibility that you played a strong factor through your actions that lead to where you are. In Darlie's mind, the boys were to blame, it was all of their fault.

Well to the answer the first part of your quote that is the question I was asking of the person writing up under Jeana's name. I was asking her that if she assumed Darlie thought she may have to move, they were already having trouble paying the bills...so why would Darlie assume that if she moved out Darrin would all of a sudden find the money to keep himself and the boys in the house?
Also you mentioned about Darlie not being able to count on child support from Darrin, that works two ways. If she left the boys with him, she could have eventually ended up paying child support herself.

There are sooooo many reasons....not just one:

I've always felt it was a potential case of murder suicide.

1. They were beyond broke and she loved having stuff
2. They were apparently so broke they were messing with insurance fraud
3. He was constantly calling her fat.
4. Her vacation went bust
5. The who "separation" thing that happened after taking Dana home, but here's the biggie.....
sister and Darin.
6 Everyone seems to forget Darin and his loooong drive to drop off Dana. It bothered Darlie so much she even mentions it in her first statement. Dana had taken over her job at work because of the new baby, then she shows up late with Darin for the "homemade 'cause we're broke" chicken soup dinner, then Darin takes way too dang long to run her home. It's after he returns that she says they had this little minor argument about nothing.
Meanwhile, she has taken her wedding dress out of the closet, and has been lingering over an old family photo book of them all. (Which by the way had a blood drop on one of the pages.) Doesn't that sound like a woman reminicing about her marraige? We already know she has a confidence problem because she goes so far out of her way with the streetwalker makeup and hair and the stripper *advertiser censored*.
Was Darin doing Darlie's sister? Who knows. Did Darlie think he was? Absolutely, IMO.

5. The who "separation" thing that happened after taking Dana home, but here's the biggie.....
sister and Darin.
6 Everyone seems to forget Darin and his loooong drive to drop off Dana. It bothered Darlie so much she even mentions it in her first statement. Dana had taken over her job at work because of the new baby, then she shows up late with Darin for the "homemade 'cause we're broke" chicken soup dinner, then Darin takes way too dang long to run her home. It's after he returns that she says they had this little minor argument about nothing.
Meanwhile, she has taken her wedding dress out of the closet, and has been lingering over an old family photo book of them all. (Which by the way had a blood drop on one of the pages.) Doesn't that sound like a woman reminicing about her marraige? We already know she has a confidence problem because she goes so far out of her way with the streetwalker makeup and hair and the stripper *advertiser censored*.
Was Darin doing Darlie's sister? Who knows. Did Darlie think he was? Absolutely, IMO.

I have always wondered about Dana and if that was why she didn't testify. I mean she was the only other adult in the home that night prior to the murders. She knows exactly how Darlie was acting. She knows how unhappy Darlie was and most likely heard Darin and Darlie fighting before she even went home. Why did Darin take Dana home and not Darlie? Darlie knew how to drive, Darlie was tired of being locked up in the house? Dana was Darlie's sister. So why did Darin take her home. And why can't they agree upon the actual time Darin was gone. IMO Darin and Dana's behavior is what drove Darlie over the edge. I believe she lost any mental capacity that she had left when Darin took Dana home and took so long. I think that Darin also was immature and most likely liked her acting jealous and possibly fueled the fire with little smart remarks and then he told her GO AHEAD AND LEAVE. YES I BELIEVE DARIN DID TELL DARLIE THAT HE WAS THROUGH WITH HER THAT NIGHT. I don't have any sisters but from what I have seen through out my life, some sisters are so jealous of one another and some have no problem whatsoever with sleeping with their sister's man. It's "I'M HOTTER THAN YOU" Jealousy crap.

Another reason WHY Darlie justifies her actions of that night IMO.

sister and Darin.

I'm inclined to agree w/ that,as well as WhiteWendy's comments also.

I can't remember the discrepancies anymore because I have long since thrown away all this crap. But as I remember the short end was around 45 minutes, and the long end closer to 1 hr and 45 minutes. I did a run way back then, and in normal traffic to Cynthia's house (where Dana lived and Darin later moved into), the time was closer to 30 minutes. So if it was 45 minutes, that's not our of range. If it was twice that, that might set her off. But then again, her pretty young, skinny sister is getting on good with Darin, and has taken over her job, so maybe fifteen minutes would be too long. As it turns out, the time is not that important. What is important is how Darlie is interpretting this. She is taking a lot of medications, that are now forbidden for teens to take because of their ability to inhance thoughts of suicide. She wasn't all that far from a teen. She's broke, it's embarrassing, her hubby is feeding her insecurities, and to top it all off, her cute sister seems to be stepping into her shoes. The straw is the talk of seperation brought on by Darin as far as her statement goes.
Now, keeping this all in mind, after taking out the wedding dress and family albums, does she take her hat in her hand and slink off into nothingness, or does she decide to kill herself, and take those kids out of reach of Darin?
Now what makes sense?

I can't remember the discrepancies anymore because I have long since thrown away all this crap. But as I remember the short end was around 45 minutes, and the long end closer to 1 hr and 45 minutes. I did a run way back then, and in normal traffic to Cynthia's house (where Dana lived and Darin later moved into), the time was closer to 30 minutes. So if it was 45 minutes, that's not our of range. If it was twice that, that might set her off. But then again, her pretty young, skinny sister is getting on good with Darin, and has taken over her job, so maybe fifteen minutes would be too long. As it turns out, the time is not that important. What is important is how Darlie is interpretting this. She is taking a lot of medications, that are now forbidden for teens to take because of their ability to inhance thoughts of suicide. She wasn't all that far from a teen. She's broke, it's embarrassing, her hubby is feeding her insecurities, and to top it all off, her cute sister seems to be stepping into her shoes. The straw is the talk of seperation brought on by Darin as far as her statement goes.
Now, keeping this all in mind, after taking out the wedding dress and family albums, does she take her hat in her hand and slink off into nothingness, or does she decide to kill herself, and take those kids out of reach of Darin?
Now what makes sense?

So in your thinking....she was going to kill herself also but just couldn't do it? I have thought pretty hard about that one. Now, since this woman was a dramatic type, I could totally see her saying she was going to just end it but only to gain attention. I agree about the med's. I do believe with everything going on and the med's, it was a deadly combo. Of course if that be the case then why didn't she just plead temp. insanity? I am wondering if her thinking was: OKAY, DARIN, YOU AND DANA CAN HAVE EACH OTHER BUT NOT MY KIDS..... OF COURSE DARIN THROWS OUT CRAP LIKE YOU DON'T LOVE THOSE BOYS. YOU HAVE NO MONEY ETC. WHICH WOULD LEAD HER TO.............THAT DOWNWARD SPIRAL OF EVENTS THAT FATEFUL NIGHT.

Think about it Whity. Put yourself in her shoes. For that matter put yourself in Darin's.

Darlie has stabbed her children to death, and she goes to slice her throat but she can only make a shallow cut. She tries stabbing herself, but only makes small defensive wounds in her torso. She's screwed. She knows she is. She's seen CSI on TV and she is going to the hoosgow.
So what do you do if you are Darlie. You run around to the front door area, make a bunch of blooddrops from your feeble attempts, slip on some laced up basketball shoes belonging to your husband, sneak down the side of your house, and drop the sock you are wearing into a storm drain. Only one doesn't go down. Drats. But you don't know that at the time.
Why didn't anyone see you? It's not like this happened at noon. A nuclear bomb could go off, and I wouldn't know it until morning. I suppose I am supposed to bolt upright in bed because some chickydee is running by the side of her house and up an alleyway in soft sided shoes?
If so, me bad.
Then Darin, he comes down, he feels tremndous guilt about what may or may not have happened with Dana, guilt that he had asked for a separation. He feels like he caused it. Could it be?
Once he starts on the path, he can't go any other way. If he does, it's going to make him look like an acomplice.
So he professes love for Darlie after all these years even though he had a relationship with a woman who lasted over 2 years, and Darlie, had a love affair with a bank robber that she met through prison mail. And still no divorce. Why? It's not because they are faithfully waiting for one another.

Think about it Whity. Put yourself in her shoes. For that matter put yourself in Darin's.

Darlie has stabbed her children to death, and she goes to slice her throat but she can only make a shallow cut. She tries stabbing herself, but only makes small defensive wounds in her torso. She's screwed. She knows she is. She's seen CSI on TV and she is going to the hoosgow.
So what do you do if you are Darlie. You run around to the front door area, make a bunch of blooddrops from your feeble attempts, slip on some laced up basketball shoes belonging to your husband, sneak down the side of your house, and drop the sock you are wearing into a storm drain. Only one doesn't go down. Drats. But you don't know that at the time.
Why didn't anyone see you? It's not like this happened at noon. A nuclear bomb could go off, and I wouldn't know it until morning. I suppose I am supposed to bolt upright in bed because some chickydee is running by the side of her house and up an alleyway in soft sided shoes?
If so, me bad.
Then Darin, he comes down, he feels tremndous guilt about what may or may not have happened with Dana, guilt that he had asked for a separation. He feels like he caused it. Could it be?
Once he starts on the path, he can't go any other way. If he does, it's going to make him look like an acomplice.
So he professes love for Darlie after all these years even though he had a relationship with a woman who lasted over 2 years

that was after Darlie was sent to prison,right?

So in your thinking....she was going to kill herself also but just couldn't do it? I have thought pretty hard about that one. Now, since this woman was a dramatic type, I could totally see her saying she was going to just end it but only to gain attention. I agree about the med's. I do believe with everything going on and the med's, it was a deadly combo. Of course if that be the case then why didn't she just plead temp. insanity? I am wondering if her thinking was: OKAY, DARIN, YOU AND DANA CAN HAVE EACH OTHER BUT NOT MY KIDS..... OF COURSE DARIN THROWS OUT CRAP LIKE YOU DON'T LOVE THOSE BOYS. YOU HAVE NO MONEY ETC. WHICH WOULD LEAD HER TO.............THAT DOWNWARD SPIRAL OF EVENTS THAT FATEFUL NIGHT.

You, IMO, are half right whity. You have to keep in mind the drugs she was taking. These were no small drugs. Not that I put this into a drug defense at any rate. She was taking some pretty major drugs none the less. Two of the drugs she was taking at the time are no longer available to teens with depression because it hightened the suicide romance. These are mind altering drug working in the part of the brain that deals with pleasure and displeasure.
IMO, after Darin got home late, having her insucurities that were fed to her and bred into her, she and Darin argued, and he said he wanted a divorce.
IMO, Darlie was pissed off, took the kids downstairs with her (she still hadn't bonded with the infant) and sat on the couch pouting.
She decides IMO, that she won't let Darin have the kids, because he is a jerk iho, and she damn sure won't let her baby sister raise them. So she kills them, and then makes a pretty good, but artificial attempt at her own life. But hey, it hurts. It hurts alot. So the change of plan is born.

It is great to have a court order for spousal support(which of course Darlie would want, in the US you call it Alimony)and child support, but if one does not have the money, a job, or is making a low wage, then it won't be that much.

Remember Darlie and Darin liked to spend money, like it was never going to end. They pretty well spent every penny on appearance items.

I doubt Darlie would give Darin custody of the boys, as again it is all about appearances and Darlie would get next to nothing in spousal support and would have to pay Darin. I can't see Darlie getting a job much better then low wage. So again it is back to struggling. Darlie would want custody of the boys only for the money that Darin would have to give her, and of course it would not be enough to "live a lifestyle" that the boys and her have been accustomed to.

according to psychiatrist that I have spoken with personality disorders are part of mental illness, you cant have a defect in your personality without it being an imbalance and that is talking to several, not just where I live now, but back east as well, they all cant be wrong. the thing is nothing has ever been proven that she was disturbed except for a small dose of PPD. A lot of woman get that, there is no history.

Sure many women get it and many of them kill their children. Writing a suicide note a month before the murders is a tad bit more than a small dose of PPD. She should have used it as a mitigating factor...she might have received life if she did.

And many, many other psychiatrists will tell you that Personality Disorders are not mental illness. Mental illness can be cured. PDs are a way of life.

Very easy to research by google...

Well to the answer the first part of your quote that is the question I was asking of the person writing up under Jeana's name. I was asking her that if she assumed Darlie thought she may have to move, they were already having trouble paying the bills...so why would Darlie assume that if she moved out Darrin would all of a sudden find the money to keep himself and the boys in the house?
Also you mentioned about Darlie not being able to count on child support from Darrin, that works two ways. If she left the boys with him, she could have eventually ended up paying child support herself.

Thanks for clarifying your question, White Rain. White Rain essentially asked how Darlie thought Darin was going to keep making the payments for

Nintendo House--weren't Darin and the boys going to have to move out of it themselves pretty soon if Darin couldn't keep up the payments? I think

there are probably two schools of thought on this. I think many of us think that the Routiers were having severe financial problems and were down to

little or no money, and so, yes, he would lose the house and she wouldn't be that angry because she knew that they would soon have to leave it

themselves. The other school of thought, which maybe Darlie was thinking, was that Darin's financial setbacks were just temporary and the money

would soon come flowing in again and solve their problems. The defense has tried to indicate that Darin was a small business owner who was just

having some temporary problems with receivables. I think Darlie must have thought that because she was pressing him for money and must have thought

he would give it up if she used her, "we have to separate" trick. In that case, Darlie would have been very angry because she perceived that she was

getting thrown from the "gravy train," and Darin and the boys were getting to stay at Nintendo House while they worked through their financial problems and

got everything back on track. It really depends on your point of view, but I have never believed that they were having some minimal troubles with the

finances, as the defense and Darin have portrayed the situation. Rather, I think they were headed towards bankruptcy. But, I think Darlie only perceived

their troubles as temporary and that is what made her so angry about getting tossed from Nintendo House.

Darlie may not have planned this ahead of time, but the possibility exists that she might have thought about it on occasion when things didn't go her way and that night it gelled in her mind as a decision.

Darlie's reasoning for the killings IMO go beyond the arguments about money with Darin, and his inability to give her what she wanted (vacations, money etc..) on demand.

Darrin by all accounts loved those two boys. In separation/divorce cases the world over, when spouses/significant others are have relationship difficulties, things are said, or done, to deliberately hurt the other. I've read of situations where one in the relationship had a beloved a pet, and the other killed it out of jealousy, anger, rage, whatever you would want to call it. Simply because attention was lavished on the pet, and the partner wanted ALL the attention. Some have done nasty things to step-children for the same reasons.

After being angry at Darrin, beyond angry perhaps into a smoldering rage, how better for Darlie, in her mind, to hurt Darrin than to take away two children he loved as a punishment for not giving her what she wanted.

Darlie seemed to be incapable of, or let's put it this way, REFUSED to believe that her own spending habits, as well as Darrin's were responsible for their financial situation.

Well, while I don't believe the first poster's motive theory was the sole reason Darlie murdered the boys, I believe that, plus the money situation, plus the boys being a bit harder to handle all rolled together that night and exploded in that terrible act of violence.
It's nice to have something new to talk about though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny
Back