GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really don’t know what to think about this. Everybody seemed very drunk and stupid. I go back and forth though. NM seemed creepy and the boys jumped on it immediately and I feel taunted him. You could see it escalated. Someone previously mentioned The Lord of the Flies and it really does have that vibe. The boys were like a rabid pack of vultures preying on an “old man’ as the witnesses keep saying. Pushing him down etc until he broke. I can’t imagine being surrounded by a dozen or so teenagers screaming at me and pushing me down in the water.

I think the defense may be doing an ok job showing he feared for his life. Now, does self defense allow him to stab 5 people and kill one?

I used to have some Eastern Europeans who lived a few houses down from me. They emigrated from their country during a political situation. Their mannerisms were very much like NMs. I think maybe NM seeming "weird" might have been a cultural difference.

From Fox 9 YT Mod

Jury has two people in their 20s, 1 in 30s, 3 in 40s, 3 in 50s, 1 in 60s, 3 in 70s, and 1 in 90s

JURY MAKE-UP: 8 men, 6 women.

Wow! A juror in their 90s! And 3 in their 70s. That’s interesting. And definitely a broad mix of ages. I could see the older jurors siding with the defendant.

I used to have some Eastern Europeans who lived a few houses down from me. They emigrated from their country during a political situation. Their mannerisms were very much like NMs. I think maybe NM seeming "weird" might have been a cultural difference.
And I believe one of the teens said he looked “Russian,” so not far off (I think often the label “Russian” is used as a generic reference to anyone from Eastern Europe).

WATCH LIVE: Wisconsin River Stabbings — WI v. Nicolae Miu — Day 5​

Nicolae Miu, 54, is accused of stabbing a teenager to death, and injuring four others, while tubing on the Apple River in Wisconsin back in July of 2022. Isaac Schuman, 17, was killed and Rhyley Mattison, 24, suffered severe stab wounds. Miu is facing multiple charges including first-degree intentional homicide, attempted first-degree homicide, and battery with a dangerous weapon. Miu claims he acted in self-defense.

If you know that you can’t physically defend yourself against anyone let alone several individuals why not walk away…

-- Why not leave the negativity ? Especially if you know you are not a pedo why would those words hit so hard…
-- Why are you not answering the groups' questions… NM speaks several languages-
-- NM chose to stay and be combative
-- NM chose to attack and continue to escalate the situation (supposedly he wasn't intoxicated so ought to have been more in control?)

Not in agreement with his claim of self-defense. After he basically tried to slaughter these individuals as if they were meat.
He ran like a b—— which is typical of a killer, got rid of the (his weapon) evidence, put on a shirt, hat and shades in order to hide and played dumb about the crime he just committed.

No remorse about his crime or attempt to help any of the victims.

The video is all the jury will need to convict this guy.

Defense is very good at changing witnesses’ perception… views and opinions

Not sure that the State’s witness NM’s ex-wife SM served any purpose.

All of this is a matter of opinion at this point

If you know that you can’t physically defend yourself against anyone let alone several individuals why not walk away…

-- Why not leave the negativity ? Especially if you know you are not a pedo why would those words hit so hard…
-- Why are you not answering the groups' questions… NM speaks several languages-
-- NM chose to stay and be combative
-- NM chose to attack and continue to escalate the situation (supposedly he wasn't intoxicated so ought to have been more in control?)

Not in agreement with his claim of self-defense. After he basically tried to slaughter these individuals as if they were meat.
He ran like a b—— which is typical of a killer, got rid of the (his weapon) evidence, put on a shirt, hat and shades in order to hide and played dumb about the crime he just committed.

No remorse about his crime or attempt to help any of the victims.

The video is all the jury will need to convict this guy.

Defense is very good at changing witnesses’ perception… views and opinions

Not sure that the State’s witness NM’s ex-wife SM served any purpose.

All of this is a matter of opinion at this point
I certainly agree about the state's witness.

And I agree with your other points as well.

The first two witnesses this morning...what is the point of having them testify when the really don't know anything and weren't part of the incident. The prosecutor sounds dead inside like 'it's Friday, all my witnesses suck and I just want to get out of here and go to happy hour'.

DAILY TRIAL UPDATES​

DAY 4 – 4/4/24​

• The jury heard more testimony from eyewitnesses, including a nurse who attempted lifesaving measures on Schuman
  • The jury heard a 911 call and watched bodycam video from responding officers
  • WATCH: Apple River Stabbings Trial: Day 4

I didn't read the criminal complaint until today. Miu lied SO MUCH about every part of his attack!!

If this part is actually true, it shows how Miu had disordered thinking from the start:

"Ernesto came toward him and asked if he'd found the cell phone. Nic said he told Ernesto that he believed the group had found something, but they wouldn't tell him what it was."

This part of the complaint tells me Miu had big feelings of humiliation and embarrassment. I believe those were his main motivators for attacking people who did not accept his problematic behavior. How dare these underlings stand up to him! Here he is pouting as well as obfuscating the truth:

"Nic said that his group eventually decided to leave and head back down the river. Nic stated again that he was quiet on the way down the river and didn't know what to say. Nic sad he'd just gotten his “*advertiser censored* kicked" by a bunch of kids on the river so what was he supposed to say."

I wonder if the defense will present any character witnesses for Miu? Would love to know more about him prior to these events.
To quote the current witness: Si! (yes)

He's already asked him if he had "a character for peacefulness."

That phrase is giving me Theo Edgecomb trial flashbacks!

This case is from 2015, for anyone who is interested:

BALSAM LAKE, Wis. (KMSP) - Levi Acre-Kendall has been found not guilty on all counts in the April 14 stabbing death of Peter Kelly along the St. Croix River. There was audible crying from Acre-Kendall’s mother as the final not guilty verdict was read. With a full acquittal, the 20-year-old from Cambridge, Minn. was released from custody Monday afternoon.

More at link...

December 15, 2015 9:18am CST

#NicolaeMiu's Defense has called a witness to the stand out of order because a translator is available in court today.On the stand is Nicolae's friend who claims it was his idea to bring the knife that later killed a 17-year-old and seriously hurt others.

Watch #CourtTV LIVE NOW - http://court.tv/live

LIVE: WI v. #NicolaeMiu | #AppleRiverStabbingsTrial DAY 5The State's case continues after calling eyewitnesses and law enforcement to the stand. A witness claims Miu had "a demonic look on his face" before the stabbings.

Apple River is really beautiful and incredible scenery. It appears to be perfect for tubing and other water sports. It's too bad a fun day turned into a nightmare for many and so many lives are forever changed.

The Apple River is a 77.5-mile-long tributary of the St. Croix River in northwestern Wisconsin in the United States. Via the St. Croix, it is part of the watershed of the Mississippi River.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTM
Back