GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That ... leg grabbing was out of line, imo.
I knew from watching the video several times as it seemed from the second encounter NM had reached out and grabbed their inner tubes.
But, their legs ?
Holy cow.
Weird.
This, btw, would indicate NM had initiated physical contact first, and not the teens/young people.
Omo.
I would yell the same things at a guy who grabbed teenage boys. His actions led to the comments made towards him and his actions made it worse

That ... leg grabbing was out of line, imo.
I knew from watching the video several times as it seemed from the second encounter NM had reached out and grabbed their inner tubes.
But, their legs ?
Holy cow.
Weird.
This, btw, would indicate NM had initiated physical contact first, and not the teens/young people.
Omo.

Quinton Carlson, a witness to the stabbing on the Apple River, took the stand.

Adult witness recounts Apple River stabbing​

Kids were asking for help even before Miu grabbed the boys. Boys knew something was off.

I only saw a little bit of the trial -- so can't disagree with the verdict. But I did see a lot of the video. The group taunting of the man made me feel ill. I had to turn it off. JMO.

I saw one of the group testify <modsnip: name calling> and I immediately disliked him. He came off as one of those types of entitled kids. I could easily see him and his buddies bullying anyone just because they are like that.

But, they didn't bring the knife to the bullying party. And bullying doesn't kill anyone.

Believe me, I am the absolutely last person to defend this bunch. But the message the jury sent, was his life wasn't in danger...

I am hoping NM gets credit for time served and a light sentence. Concurrent, not separate, for the charges.

I was away IRL for a long time today and just saw the verdict.
Wow. Murder in the first !
I expect the jury watched, re-watched video, listened to testimony, and decided that NM reacted in a manner that was out of proportion to the verbal and pushing offences committed by the younger group.
A young life lost over absolutely nothing.
That is the real tragedy here, imo.
I do hope Isaac's family is at peace with the verdict (& hopefully the sentencing !) and can someday find closure.
Omo.

Just to clarify the verdict:

“He was convicted of the following charges:

• First-degree reckless homicide of Isaac Schuman
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of A.J. Martin
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of Dante Carlson
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of Tony Carlson
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of Ryhley Mattison
  • Battery of Madison Coen”
Fox affiliate:

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: St Croix Co DA Karl Anderson just said Nicolae Miu is looking at upwards of 100 years behind bars following today's verdict. Ultimately up to the judge. But the #s are severe in Wisconsin even on these "lesser" charges.

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: "JUSTICE FOR ISSAC," Isaac Schuman family just left Hudson courthouse, making quick remarks to our @FOX9 crew. Nicolae Niu found guilty of 1st degree reckless homicide in the stabbing of the 17yo.

The charges and sentencing may be severe for even "reckless homicide" which is (as I understand ?) a lesser charge than first degree premeditated homicide ?
I don't think NM planned to kill anyone when he woke up that day. (premeditated)
But someone enraged him during the river confrontation.
Omo.

Nicolae Miu is found guilty of murder
"As he was led away afterwards, Miu was seen turning to stare at his surviving victims and their families."

He stared down the victims and their family as he walked away. I don't think there is much more that is representative of what kind of person he is.
has he lost a lot of weight in prison? In the video he seems a bit portly and in the court pictures he looks gaunt and hollow-eyed. IMO.

has he lost a lot of weight in prison? In the video he seems a bit portly and in the court pictures he looks gaunt and hollow-eyed. IMO.
He has been in jail for almost two years. He had a bond and I don't know what it was. But is seems odd that with his family and friends he could not post bail. I mean that two years were awful for him judging from his appearance.

Apple River stabbing trial: Suspect's wife testifies​

I missed it the first time, Miu's wife said he went over to the boys twice. Came back and 5-10 later went over to kids again...the boys must not have noticed Miu the first time. She also told LE she saw boys jump out of their tubes and sent Ariel and Ernesto over there...

Did they say why they stuck him out at the side of the defense table ? He had no table or monitor directly in front of him. It made him look like a shrinking sad old guy out there. Maybe that was the goal.
IDK that court design or dynamics. JMO

I think the thing I find the most interesting about this case is that the convicted said something to the effect of "and they were being so mean to me", which, as someone who speaks multiple languages and also spends a TON of time with and advocating for ethnically Eastern Europeans LIKE this man, is so telling. This isn't "code" for anything worse or more violent, (that is to say, I don't think he was trying to imply or claim "they were saying they were going to kill me'), and the convicted seems to speak and comprehend English just fine and has been here for years and well-educated.

I mean I've seen it in plenty of commentary on the internet (not necessarily here but just in general)! "They called him a pedophile; what was he supposed to do?" Um. You can't STAB someone to death over that within the span of under 5 minutes. If I'm out floating around in a Lazy River in Wisconsin Dells, and someone I can EASILY walk away from (who is maybe even younger and more masculine than I, a woman in my 40s) calls me any number of horrible names I am going to mostly think that they might be mentally unwell or on drugs. My first thought would be "well, they seem weird, and I don't have to be here".

Using force --deadly force, especially -- should always be a last resort. Some people (in general) seem VERY excited at the idea of putting kids who are being jerks in their place in a violent way. I just...I'm sorry but while I might care enough to SAY something or complain or call the police, I'm not stabbing anybody over something as idiotic as "some kids called me a bad name, maybe" and risking A) someone getting fatally injured OR B) ME GOING TO PRISON. It's not worth it. No one in this situation would probably even REMEMBER this day if it hadn't escalated because of idiots all around.

Last edited:

Apple River stabbing trial: Friend of victim speaks​

Poor boys.
The young guys were out on the river having a good time until the convicted man came along.

They'll be traumatized for a real long time, maybe a lifetime, from this tragic event on a day that was meant for birthday party celebrations, beer and sunshine that rapidly descended as it became a blood bath, killing one, Isaac Schuman. Isaac was 17yo.

Many others were injured including AJ Martin who displayed his abdominal scars for the jury. In shock, Rhyley Mattison stood alone in the water with an awfully long gash. Dante and Tony Carlson were injured. Their father had asked them to go help the guys in the tubes. They went to help and got stabbed in the river on their father's birthday.

I went tubing most of my life. It's a blast! If this had happened when I was on the river, I probably couldn't overcome the fear to go again. I doubt many of these victims, and there are lots victims in this sad story, who can fully overcome their fear because that's what trauma does to the mind sometimes. I hope all of those precious people who were tubing on Apple River that fateful day to have the best of life forevermore.

MOO

I thought the jury got the verdict mostly right. In my opinion, he is definitely guilty for stabbing the people who posed no threat to him physically. I think the state argued that was 3 individuals and I agree. I might have given him the benefit of the doubt on the others.

I suppose the argument could be that he was feeling for his knife in his pocket in case he was attacked. That might be reasonable to protect yourself.

The main question for me was, did he look like someone who was in fear for his life? When I saw the video, he did not look like someone in fear for his life, especially when it came to the three individuals the state argued never physically attacked him.

I wasn't aware the river was so narrow that one human body could prevent a group of drunk tubers from going down a flowing river!
RSBM
It's not narrow? Miu had the whole river to search and specifically chose to try and look under the boy's tubes. The bearded witness said Miu ultimately stood in the middle of their tube pod, tubes surrounding his legs, preventing these tubes from flowing downstream.
Also, have you ever been tubing?
Yes! It was fun but cold. How about you? :)

Nicolae Miu is found guilty of murder
"As he was led away afterwards, Miu was seen turning to stare at his surviving victims and their families."

He stared down the victims and their family as he walked away. I don't think there is much more that is representative of what kind of person he is.
Thank you for bring that up. I noticed his look, which solidified for me that the jury got it right. The jury followed the law. However, imo, he's cold-hearted. moo

When Isaac's mom on the stand, she respectively
reframed from even looking at the defendant. Not even a glance as she walked by defense table.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82
Back