Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Deputies responded to a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron that was asking for help shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two deceased adults. Jayme Closs, 13, is considered "missing and endangered." Jayme is described as 5' tall, 100 pounds and has green eyes and blond or strawberry blond hair.

2 dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

Jayme%20Closs_1539605722558.jpg_6224138_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24
Thread #25
Thread #26
Thread #27
Thread #28
Thread #29

Thread #30
Thread #32
Thread #33
Thread #34
Thread #35
Thread #36
Thread #37
Thread #38
Media, Maps, and Timeline Thread

ABSOLUTELY NO MORE OFF TOPIC STORIES! THIS THREAD IS ABOUT JAYME. FEEL FREE TO TAKE YOUR OFF TOPIC STORY TO A PRIVATE CONVERSATION. IF ANYONE POSTS THEIR PERSONAL OFF TOPIC STORY WILL RECEIVE AN AUTOMATIC TIMEOUT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone- As this is a very active discussion, please make every effort to stay on-topic, victim friendly, and courteous to your fellow posters. If you are posting information as fact, posting a picture, etc. include a link to your source. If you see a post which violates TOS, report the post and do not respond to it. Thank you and carry on :)

Jayme Closs suspect 'saw her on school bus'

Jayme Closs kidnap: Suspect Jake Patterson 'saw her on school bus'

A Wisconsin man accused of killing a 13-year-old girl's parents so he could kidnap her allegedly made up his mind to snatch her after a chance encounter.

Jake Patterson, 21, told investigators he watched Jayme Closs board a school bus that he had stopped behind while driving to work.

He faces charges of killing Jayme's parents and kidnapping her on 15 October last year.

Jayme escaped last Thursday after three months in captivity, say police.
The charging document quotes Mr Patterson as saying that when he saw Jayme, "he knew that was the girl he was going to take."

Mr Patterson told police he only had worked at the factory for two days, and ended up spotting Jayme on one of the two mornings he drove to work.

The complaint says the accused twice scouted the Closs home near Barron with the plan of taking Jayme.

But he abandoned the plot those times because too many people were in the vicinity.

Mr Patterson described the measures he took to avoid detection, including shaving his head, stealing a license plate, wiping the shotgun with gloves on and modifying his car boot so it could not be opened from the inside.

<modsnipped to comply with copyright rule>

The criminal complaint includes the following vehicle description by Deputy Fick:

Deputy Fick reports that, while in route to the residence, he observed a vehicle that was maroon in color and what he believed to be an older style vehicle. Deputy Fick reports that, based on his training and experience, the vehicle appeared to him to be an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. As the vehicle was traveling east on U.S. Hwy. 8, Deputy Fick reports he was traveling west on U.S. Hwy. 8, just west of the City of Barron. Deputy Fick reports the vehicle he observed was the lone eastbound traveling vehicle he encountered. Deputy Fick observed the vehicle yield to himself and other deputies responding to the scene. Deputy Fick reports he was unable to see a front license plate and observed a black bracket in the front middle of the bumper. Deputy Fick reports he observed grey or silver trim on the vehicle. (BBM)

Why was this not reported as a vehicle of interest!? If it was, perhaps one of the neighbors in Gordon would have recognized the car.

Charges: Suspect taped Jayme's hands, ankles, dragged her to car
A jailed Patterson appeared Monday afternoon via video hookup in Barron County District Court, where he heard the charges against him in connection with the deaths of James and Denise Closs and the abduction of Jayme, who sought help along a road near Gordon upon escape.

Judge James Babler agreed with the prosecution and set bail at $5 million for Patterson, pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the prospect of spending life in prison if convicted and the great lengths the defendant went to conceal the crimes while a fugitive. The defense requested an unspecified lesser amount.

Decked in full jail orange, Patterson sat at a table with a member of his defense team to his right and the charging document in front of him over the 9-minute hearing and answered every question from the judge calmly and with full understanding. He sat with his hands folded at his waist, adjusting his glasses and rubbing his face.

Prosecutors also said Monday afternoon that additional charges based on unspecified allegations could be coming out of Douglas County, where the Patterson property is located, before the defendant is back in Barron County Circuit Court in Barron on Feb. 6.

The neighbors said they heard 2 gunshots at 0031. 911 call was placed at 0054. J.P states he was only in the house for about 4 minutes. Law enforcement stated the suspect was only in the house for a short period of time in the beginning and so many people discredited that because of the neighbors claims. Hopefully this can be a reminder of how much faith you should put into a witness statement when deciding on the validity of law enforcement claims.

Bringing over this post/reply by bellyup from the last thread:

She/he wrote: "I know that it can be hard to do but my point is that it can be done. The sentiment that "there's nothing families can do" isn't true and unfortunately leads to many people believing that there is nothing they can do so they do nothing.

The reality is that there are resources and state resources aren't the only ones available. There are many privately funded organizations that also provide assistance. They can be difficult to find, difficult to maneuver and difficult to obtain. BUT IT CAN BE DONE. As someone who also works in the field, bringing those resources and encouraging people to seek them out is far more productive than the defeatist "it's hard". The only good thing about easy is that it's easy.

As a side note; I will again reiterate that 211 (phone call from any phone) will connect you with United Ways First Call for Help. Or you can google your city / states number for a website that lists both public and private places you can turn to."

I again, unfortunately have to respond with the reality I see day and and day out in Wisconsin dealing with clients having mental health crises.

I am listed as a resource in the 211 system in Wisconsin for several counties. I cannot tell you how many times I have had people call me that all of the leads that 211 has given them have been dead ends. Even if a psychiatric social worker is dispatched to assess the situation there can be lack of services. Thankfully, sometimes services can be accessed. I could not continue to do the work I do if there was not a way to get help in many cases. HOWEVER, getting appropriate help for someone with anti-social tendencies before they commit a violent act is very difficult. And in my experience, they could be some of the hardest cases to agree to voluntarily accept help because they do not see anything wrong with them. If you are lucky enough to get them into services you have to PRAY that they clinician(s) are on top of their game because when you are dealing with a narcissist, budding sociopath or psychopath they are master manipulators and will run roughshod over any inexperienced clinician. In my opinion all personality disordered clients are extremely difficult to treat. We are failing as a society to work with this population.

Hi guys! Just now popping in, these threads are crazy long! Such heartwarming news to hear jayme is safe and sound and on the road to recovery. I had a couple questions, not sure if they’ve been asked and answered yet but I haven’t really read the threads since she’s been found safe. In the criminal complaint it literally details everything to the bone, but I was wondering, did they ever figure out WHY he took her? Did he give a reason to anyone? I read nothing about sexual assault in the criminal complaint but then again since she is a minor do they keep those things private? I couldn’t imagine he just wanted her to keep him company. Sorry again if this has been covered!!

Self deleted - posssibly veering off topic

Last edited:
I hadn't listened to the 911 call from the people who found JC until now. Wow. I would've been terrified. And there were other kids present. Knowing he blew away her parents I would've been just waiting for him to come in and kill everyone.

I don't know how they all managed to stay so calm. But you could hear the social worker start to tear up in relief at the end, I think.

The criminal complaint includes the following vehicle description by Deputy Fick:

Deputy Fick reports that, while in route to the residence, he observed a vehicle that was maroon in color and what he believed to be an older style vehicle. Deputy Fick reports that, based on his training and experience, the vehicle appeared to him to be an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. As the vehicle was traveling east on U.S. Hwy. 8, Deputy Fick reports he was traveling west on U.S. Hwy. 8, just west of the City of Barron. Deputy Fick reports the vehicle he observed was the lone eastbound traveling vehicle he encountered. Deputy Fick observed the vehicle yield to himself and other deputies responding to the scene. Deputy Fick reports he was unable to see a front license plate and observed a black bracket in the front middle of the bumper. Deputy Fick reports he observed grey or silver trim on the vehicle. (BBM)

Why was this not reported as a vehicle of interest!? If it was, perhaps one of the neighbors in Gordon would have recognized the car.

completely agree. i understand that hindsight is 20/20 and this was an incredibly hard case for LE, but i'm curious why the other two vehicles came up and not this one.

Hi guys! Just now popping in, these threads are crazy long! Such heartwarming news to hear jayme is safe and sound and on the road to recovery. I had a couple questions, not sure if they’ve been asked and answered yet but I haven’t really read the threads since she’s been found safe. In the criminal complaint it literally details everything to the bone, but I was wondering, did they ever figure out WHY he took her? Did he give a reason to anyone? I read nothing about sexual assault in the criminal complaint but then again since she is a minor do they keep those things private? I couldn’t imagine he just wanted her to keep him company. Sorry again if this has been covered!!

It's easy to fall for the fallacy that there is a simple, single reason.

Everything that went awry in JTP's life fed into his insecurities. He obsessed instead of opening to friends, closed down instead of seeking help and finally fulfilled the fantasy he'd created to 'fix' his life (or appease the feelings that somehow things could be reset to a prior state).

<modsnipped unnecessary comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
Next court appearance is Feb. 6th. We can link public records correct?

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

In regards to pictures being released, and JC privacy, this way they control what gets out. The last thing they need is some paparazzi sneaking around the house trying to get pictures and freaking her out more. Better they give the public “something”, then to deal with that nonsense.

beginning to think that the two cars they released info to the public on may have been a deliberate disinformation scheme designed to make the perp relax - and then hope he slips up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay