AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how did she physically get to her aunt's house? Did her parents take her in the mornings? Why not ride the bus to school?

The sheriff, when asked about a 19 yr old boyfriend, specifically replied, "No comment." Was this a factor?
<modsnip - rumor>

The sheriff on the video was asked and did not state it was a rumor. He did not say it was a rumor. He did not say to ignore it. He said, "No comment." The video can be reviewed.

It could be though. Jayme might have made sure everyone knew that Molly was to have no turkey until the salmonella outbreak was over. Her aunt might have been making sure Jayme knew they hadn't forgotten and Molly was being well taken care of... not to worry.
ETA: There's been tons of speculations of why the aunt spoke about the dog only eating chicken so that's my take on it.

Okay. I feel like this has gone waayyy off track. My original reply, whose meaning has somehow become lost along the way, was literally JUST in response to the song "What Was I Thinking". The OP quoted a Dierks Bentley song and pontificated that perhaps something like that (what happens in the song) happened. My reply was just to say that the theme of that song had been around for many, many years and didn't start with Dierks Bentley. (I gave Appalachian murder ballads and the Romeo and Juliet story as examples.) That's it. I wasn't offering a theory of my own, I wasn't commenting on anyone else's theory, and I wasn't implying that what had to Jayme had anything to do with Romeo and Juliet. I was literally just saying that interesting as that songwriter's lyrics may have been, he wasn't the first to come up with them.
I understand. I was just adding to your comment that the comparison to Romeo killing Tibalt is not relevant in this case. Your reply was to the comment that "Romeo killed Tibalt." It never crossed my mind that you were implying Jayme had anything to do with Romeo and Juliet. I was simply comparing the reason for the violence in one case to another. Its a completely different situation. Thats all. I don't see how that's so far off track. I just don't feel this was a result of a passionate love affair or that the killer shot her parents out of love for her. Imo

Last edited:
The connections are interesting and caught my attention.
Do you think bridges are a common thread?
I searched for bridges near both Jennie-O and the Closs residence. The nearest bridge (per the search results) is Red Cedar River Bridge. If the locations I entered for the Closs residence and Jennie-O are accurate, RCRB is 22 minutes from the house. Jennie-O is on the way and is 4 minutes from the house.
I'm not sure if the 4 minutes is of significance or not. My thoughts are divided and go in too many directions in terms of the time it took police to arrive on scene, the get away time by the perps, whether or not Jennie-O served as a tempory hub, and the risk/possibilty of the perp crossing paths with the police.
The nearest police department (per the search results) is 4 minutes from the Closs residence and 1 minute from Jennie-O.
Jennie-O is between 17-19 minutes from RCRB.
Does anyone know if that area has been searched? Is RCRB in or near the Rice Lake area?
The use of meth among commercial truck drivers is interesting and could be a connection.
I am curious to hear what others have to say about this and I ask anyone reading this to please correct any errors you notice.

Can you please provide a source about the "use of meth among commercial drivers"? TIA.

After the sheriff's comments about how quick he thinks it happened, we're left with many questions about the shots the neighbors heard. Did they mistake the time or was it unrelated (not really a possibility to me)?

About hearing traffic, it seems to me there's enough traffic, even at night that people wouldn't pay any attention unless the vehicle pulled into their driveway.

So many questions and I'm left feeling sick over little Jayme and her current situation. moo

I remember it being noted that the neighbour's clock was 7 minutes off. Despite what the neighbours say, the 911 call seems to help immensely in building the timeline. I want to say that whomever was at the residence was prepared to injure the adults living there, but was not prepared to injure a child, and in a panic took young Jayme with them. What happened then we still don't know.

MsBetsy, Trino and pepper 34, thank you very much for your quick insights. The street being a one lane highway does muddy the waters further, not only desensitizing people street to the noise and sight of traffic but also bringing through non locals with more regularity.

pepper 34; I will go back and find these posts you mentioned, thank you for pointing me the right way!

You know, we're mostly saying Jayme seems so young and naive but it occurred to me that as an only child she could actually be very mature for her age. It's very common in only children because they spend a lot of time with adults JMO. I'm not exactly sure how this helps but maybe somehow someone thought she was older than she is because she "is mature for her age"? Or she convinced someone online that she was older? Something like that? I really have no idea with this case. Does this tie into anyone's theories in any way?

Are any photos of the victim allowed? I came across a social media account that shared photos that show a happier side of her personality perviously shown

Jayme Closs: Night of the killings, from the dispatch log

Snipped and BBM for focus from above article:

The events started at 12:53 a.m. on Monday, October 15, when a 911 call was received on which nobody spoke. The dispatcher reported she “could hear a lot of yelling” in the background before the connection was broken.

The dispatcher tried several times to reach the phone from which the 911 call was placed — a mobile phone listed to Denise Closs — but received no answer. The dispatcher also called the landline at the house; it had been disconnected, she said.

1 a.m.
: The three deputies arrive at the home.

1:03 a.m.: “Advised of a possible suicide attempt. Requested assistance from Barron PD.”

1:05 a.m.: “Advised one male down, multiple rounds spent.” [This victim is James Closs, 56.]

1:06 a.m.: “Advised the door has been kicked in. Advised that the male who is down had answered the door.”

1:11 a.m.: “Advised two subjects down.” [James Closs and his wife, Denise, 46.]

Questions I have based on the dispatch timeline:
1) What made LE initially think JC was a possible suicide attempt? Why did they not notice the door had been kicked as soon as they arrived at the home, i.e., it was not until 6 minutes after their arrival that they advised dispatch the door was kicked in?
2) What is meant by "advised that the male who is down had answered the door?" Do they mean that James had somehow managed to close the door after the Unsub fled the home and opened it for LE when they showed up on the scene? If the door was forcibly kicked in by the murderer(s), then it would not be the case that James had answered the door. Those 2 statements are mutually exclusive. That 1:06 a.m. log entry is confusing to me.

What a senseless and terrible tragedy, further drawn out as the family waits for news of Jayme. My heart breaks to hear that new developments are slow coming.

Though not familiar with this town and location, (and forgive me if anyone has mentioned these thoughts before!) I am familiar with rural locations like this as it's similar to places I've lived. The houses in this area seem to have some distance between them and are separated by brush and trees.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned if the house appeared to be broken into or not. It's common in my experience not to lock doors when a car is the only way to get somewhere and you can hear a car coming from a ways off. This could make this house a potential target if the assailant did not know the family but was looking to victimize them for some reason or another.

Living out in wooded areas like this, at least in Canada, it's common to have a registered rifle which will usually hold bird or buckshot. The information indicates the weapon used to be "high powered" What sort of weapon is likely in this case? My knowledge of guns ends at farm shotguns unfortunately!

I suppose knowing this my questions are:

1.How did the assailant get to the house without neighbours (who in these areas can be quite nosy) noticing?

2. You can hear a car coming down flat land like this from a bit of a ways off. Did the neighbours hear a car before they heard these gunshots? Did they hear or see a car's highbeams? If not, was the assailant at the Closs residence when the neighbours arrived home, and how long did the assailant spend there before killing the parents and possibly abducting Jayme? Who saw or heard them leave?

3.Did the neighbours who called the police hesitate all that time thinking it possible that the Closses themselves were trying to frighten off local wildlife, but a bad gut feeling caused them to call "just to make sure"? (Maybe the gunshot didn't sound the type of gun that the Closses might have used for local wildlife?)

If any of this information has been discussed or answered I'm sorry to rehash anything!

Wanted to note that the neighbors did not call the police.

You know, we're mostly saying Jayme seems so young and naive but it occurred to me that as an only child she could actually be very mature for her age. It's very common in only children because they spend a lot of time with adults JMO. I'm not exactly sure how this helps but maybe somehow someone thought she was older than she is because she "is mature for her age"? Or she convinced someone online that she was older? Something like that? I really have no idea with this case. Does this tie into anyone's theories in any
way?

She could very well have been mature for her age and that drew someone in. Her young age and innocence could have been exactly what attracted someone to her. Or she, like many young girls, could have fudged her age in certain situations. None of those things mean that she did anything wrong, that there's something wrong with her, or that she is somehow responsible for what happened.

Has Sheriff Fitzgerald told the community this family was soecifically targeted meaning by someone they knew? If not..I think anyone in any community would be afraid until its solved and the killer and abductor apprehended.

This is commonly said by the residents when something like this happens.

If it was a random target that would instill even more fear in everyone living there.

They know two parents of a good family have been brutally nurdered and their only daughter has been taken.

Imo they're thinking if it can happened to them then it can happen to any one of them. That mere thought would strike fear in them all.

I believe both type of offenders are just as likely as either one in this case. Done by a stranger or someone they knew even casually.

The police wouldnt even have to tell me to be extra safe knowing it could be anyone since they are still out there at large somewhere knowing they have nothing to lose now if they commit more violent crimes.

The ones who actually may know something may fear for their own lives if they come forward.

The only ones who may have pertinent information as to who may have done this would have to hang around the suspect.

In so many unsolved cases some for years or decades which were solved only when someone finally came forward with what they had known for so long.

It usually takes a complete break in the relationship between the suspect and who he or she confided in back when it all happened.

That is how Isabel Celis' case was finally solved 6 years after she had been kidnapped from her home..raped and murdered in 2012. The suspect's girlfriend finally contacted the FBI.

Isabel's unsolved case went on for many years where the majority of all crime blog posters were certain the suspect was her own parent only to be completely wrong. Isabel Celis' suspect was a registered sex offender who by then had done the very same thing to another child....Maribel Gonzalez in the same town.

So both options remain wide open for me in this case at this time.

Jmo
This perp has an M.O. of kicking in a door and blasting away with apparently a large caliber pistol. Im not aware of any murder + child abductions within hundreds of miles of Barron WI. 4 people were murdered in the past 10 years not sure if that is counting Jayme's parents. Do those cases bear any similarity? Are the 4 murders unsolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill