AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in the same type of area in Wisconsin for several years. It's dark at that time of night every day of the year. If a full moon, then yes, it would be lighter. IMO, no need for planning for that particular night.
Right, not that particular night. But you bring up a salient point - that kind of absolute night darkness is normal to you, and it would be normal to locals and local LE, and their mental mapping is adapted to it. About 2/3 of the population of the USA live in urban and suburban areas where there are a lot of lights all night. There are also vast spaces that do not have woods and usually have clear skies. When urban people drive in an area like Barron County the darkness is surprising.

So is the suspect local or not local? I have a hard time imagining that a true local could pull this off in the small town atmosphere without someone suspecting or knowing. I have a hard time imagining a non-local person can operate there in the dark without recon of the house location, alternate escape routes other than Hwy 8, which would be done in daylight as well as at night before the crime. If I am going to invade a home, murder two people by gunshots, and abduct a child, I want more than one way out. I don't want to find myself on farm road X in the dark and find out a little bridge is washed out. I also do not want a record of googling 1268 13 1/2 Ave, Barron, WI, on my IP address because prior to 10/15/18 there would not be many such searches.

*ripping hair out* Is this criminal(s) Local or Not Local? :confused:

Posting conversation quotes for reference/clarity:

A general observation:

I find it ironic and disturbing that here we are with two (so far unsolved) missing 13 year old girls/Amber Alerts and that in both discussions the nature of these abductions is unique and crosses over into new territories such as home invasions, family murder and carjacking.

In other words, all of our experience in cases involving your average pedophile/hebephile perp may not even be applicable here, demonstrating hopefully NOT a new trend in our increasingly violent society. As @Hatfield mentioned, some of these cases are much harder to solve than we could have originally thought.

BBM: compared to when/what society? Violent crime is nearly half what it was in the mid 70's. I haven't seen any evidence or reason to rule out a SA motive in either case.

I haven’t seen anything to rule out SA motive either.

Just saying that there are obviously many other elements that are being considered here, revenge, home invasion gone bad, etc etc.

As for violent crime stats, well that’s probably another discussion and there are definitely differing opinions on that. I probably should have stated my post better earlier. All I know is I have created 4 mass shooting threads in 12 days. There has always been violence and murder over time, no doubt about that.

It would be interesting to see where the stats are home invasion wise...are they increasing? I know the search results were infinite when I posted some of these cases a while back showing the prevalence of dual and multiple perps in those incidents.

Well, well, well CuriousMaine, look what I just coincidentally came across in another case—(it seems both of us were right!):

“#2: SHOOTINGS ARE MORE FREQUENT

A recent study published by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center shows that the frequency of mass shooting is increasing over time. The researchers measured the increase by calculating the time between the occurrence of mass shootings. According to the research, the days separating mass shooting occurrence went from on average 200 days during the period of 1983 to 2011 to 64 days since 2011.
What is most alarming with mass shootings is the fact that this increasing trend is moving in the opposite direction of overall intentional homicide rates in the US, which decreased by almost 50% since 1993 and in Europe where intentional homicides decreased by 40% between 2003 and 2013.“

Article from 2016:
6 Things to Know about Mass Shootings in America
—-

Might as well check to see if home invasions are on the rise, statistically. Standby.

“FBI Releases 2016 Crime Statistics

The estimated number of violent crimes in the nation increased for the second straight year, rising 4.1 percent in 2016 when compared with 2015 data, according to FBI figures released today.”

FBI Releases 2016 Crime Statistics — FBI

—-

FBI Releases 2017 Crime Statistics — FBI

“After two consecutive years of increases, the estimated number of violent crimes in the nation decreased 0.2 percent in 2017 when compared with 2016 data, according to FBI figures released today.”
——

Interesting:

“Few statistics are available on the crime of home invasion as such, because it is not defined as a crime in its own right in most jurisdictions.[17] Statistics about home invasion found on the Internet are often false or misleading.[18] Persons arrested for what the police or media may refer to as "home invasion" are actually charged with crimes such as robbery, kidnapping, homicide, rape, or assault.“

Home invasion - Wikipedia

—-

This article has some interesting notes as I think about the Closs’:

“They kept asking, 'Where's your stuff?'" she said. "My husband and I kept saying, 'What stuff?'"
What they wanted was locked in a safe next to what the couple wanted to protect most.
"It was right outside my daughter's bedroom," she said.“

Snip

“Wilson, who's been with the department for 25 years, said last year the numbers were unlike what the city had seen before: six home invasions in six months. He says none were random.

Beyond tracking the patterns of the neighborhood, police say robbers also take into account how likely it is their victim will fight back, making the elderly and kids home alone some of the most vulnerable targets.

"There were only children at the house at the time (of a home invasion)," Wilson said. Suspects knew that.“

Home Invasions: Why They Aren't Always Random

Did the Closs’ have a safe? I can’t remember if this was mentioned, tia.

——

“Historically, burglary is
classified as a property crime except when someone is home
during the burglary and a household member is attacked or
threatened. When someone is home during a burglary and
experiences violence, NCVS classification rules categorize the
victimization as a personal (rape/sexual assault, robbery, and
aggravated and simple assault) rather than a property crime
(household burglary, theft, and motor vehicle theft). In this
report, the definition of household burglary includes
burglaries in which a household member was a victim of a
violent crime (see Methodology).”

Snip

“Serious injury accounted for 9% and minor injury accounted for
36% of injuries sustained by household members who were home
and experienced violence during a completed burglary.
--------------------------------------------

"Home invasion" has been used widely to describe an array of
victimizations

"Home invasion" has been used broadly to describe any crime
committed by an individual unlawfully entering a residence
while someone is home. More narrowly, home invasion has been
used to describe a situation where an offender forcibly enters
an occupied residence with the specific intent of robbing or
violently harming those inside.

The limited numbers of states incorporating the term "home
invasion" into their state statutes include the intent on the
part of the offender in their definition. In part, these
statutes have defined intent as--

*A person enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling with the
intent of committing a violent crime;

*A person knowingly enters the dwelling place of another with
the knowledge or expectation that someone (one or more persons)
is present;

*The unauthorized entering of any inhabited dwelling or other
structure belonging to another with the intent to use force or
violence upon the person of another.

Public perception and media reports of home invasion do not
necessarily include intent

Public perception and media reports of home invasion do not
necessarily include intent on the part of the offender.
Situations reported by the media as home invasion include--

*An offender forcibly enters a home to rob the household of
specific items, including cash, drugs, or other items--
specific households or residents may become a target either to
"settle a score" or because residents are perceived as
vulnerable, such as persons with disabilities and the elderly.

*An offender enters a residence falsely believing no one is
home and a confrontation occurs between the resident and the
offender.

*A household member returns home while a burglary is in
progress and a confrontation occurs between the household
member and the offender.“

U.S. Department of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
Bureau of Justice Statistics
Special Report
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt
-much more at link

—-

Again I’m not saying robbery was the motive here, just continuing to look at different angles. This technically was a “home invasion” after all, no matter who and what the target was.

I do believe that MO is important, as it is in Hania’s thread, as to possibly lending insight into the perp(s).

Last edited:
I lived in the same type of area in Wisconsin for several years. It's dark at that time of night every day of the year. If a full moon, then yes, it would be lighter. IMO, no need for planning for that particular night.

That got me to thinking what phase was the moon in that night and what was the weather. Looking up the phases of the moon that month it was only 5 days after the new moon - that is, no moon at all. And what little light from the moon would be blocked because it was cloudy that night per Weather Underground.

I remember playing capture the flag as a boy scout and on clear nights of a full moon it was easier to guard the flag because there would be so much light you could actually see your shadow. Special forces - SEAL's, Rangers, Marine SPECOPS, etc. - prefer moonless nights with a new moon or cloudy because those nights are the darkest and their night vision gives them an advantage.

I highly doubt the killer(s) considered the darkness at all as one night was just like another to them. Besides, they probably just pulled up in their vehicle and then proceeded to the porch where they kicked in the door. But I had to satisfy my curiosity.

I agree. This was targeted. I also think this was someone who had had an issue with the Closs' for years. I remember the poisoning in New Sweden Maine. A man had had issues with the people of the church for years, he was a local guy who had carried a lot of anger with the townspeople for decades. After a rather contentious issue one day he decided to poison everyone with arsenic. He waited and planned it for months, then at a potluck dinner, poisoned everyone.
I think this was someone that had had issues with Denise and Jim and they'd probably forgotten all about it but this man hadn't. He'd been simmering and fantasizing for years and then something happened that made him snap and he took out all his rage that night on the people he blamed for all his misfortunes. I'd be looking back at someone Denise had an issue with a long time ago, most likely when she was 13. I say that because Jayme looked so much like her mom it makes me wonder if someone wanted Denise and Jayme looked so much like her that they transferred that obsession to Jayme. Whoever it was, they didn't just want Jayme, they wanted to exact revenge on the parents as well and maybe the entire family.
I was surprised when I met adults in their 20s who were so bitter and angry about the divorce of their parents years before when they were still a child - until I found people harboring this resentment, even rage, into their 30s, 40s, even 50s. Sometimes they are forever angry at one parent, other times they hate the "other woman" or "other man" whom they blame. It does not appear to be that Jim or Denise had children in their first marriages. But I do wonder if some adult child of a divorce blames one of them for breaking up their parent's marriage during the years Jim and Denise might have dated various people.

It will be traced via IP address and device ID regardless of user name(s) etc. The data persists and can be resurrected. It doesn’t matter if the app was post and disappear, the data persists in the “cloud”. The only exception would be if she had been communicating with someone on the dark web, (which more sophisticated pedo’s use), which would require much more effort to trace. Doable, but requires a more sophisticated skill set.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Not amateur speculation at all! That's exactly how we did it at work.

*ripping hair out* Is this criminal(s) Local or Not Local? :confused:

Someone bought up a case of a man flying to the States from New Zealand to locate a teen he met online after she stopped communicating with him. He was shot by her Mother when he attempted to force his way into the home. He had a knife.

If someone did travel from a distance, by plane, he (assuming) would need to buy a gun. LE would need to track sales prior to October 15th on classifieds, for a private sale, and search records for retail gun shops.

Car rental information would also be investigated. Doubtful there is much Uber / Lyft available in the area.

Edit for typo and addition of car rental paragraph.

I am not sure the LE can track apps and usage via IPS of the house? If so, would that show everything ever done online by that IPS address?? Seems like LE was unable to recontruct the exact Snapchat Mollie sent to her boyfriend that very night she was abducted. And they had access to his device. And to her home, to check the IPS. Anyway...I think it is impossible to trace every bit of usage, especially if she had used her device elsewhere, with public IPS, or if any of the three had. Jm

Someone bought up a case of a man flying to the States from New Zealand to locate a teen he met online after she stopped communicating with him. He was shot by her Mother when he attempted to force his way into the home. He had a knife.

If someone did travel from a distance, by plane, he (assuming) would need to buy a gun. LE would need to track sales prior to October 15th on classifieds, for a private sale, and search records for retail gun shops.

From everywhere in the world? Or just in Wisconsin? Or the US?

I am not sure the LE can track apps and usage via IPS of the house? If so, would that show everything ever done online by that IPS address?? Seems like LE was unable to recontruct the exact Snapchat Mollie sent to her boyfriend that very night she was abducted. And they had access to his device. And to her home, to check the IPS. Anyway...I think it is impossible to trace every bit of usage, especially if she had used her device elsewhere, with public IPS, or if any of the three had. Jm

I think ips could identify all activity, but maybe not all content of the activity.

Car rental information would also be investigated. Doubtful there is much Uber / Lyft available in the area.

no way to track all gun sales. a search for that would likely find every legal purchase and legal use there was and still miss most of the illegal.

Deer hunters asked to be on the lookout for missing 13-year-old Wisconsin girl
As deer hunting season in Wisconsin got underway Saturday, the Barron County, Wisconsin, sheriff's department sent out an urgent request to the more than 4,000 people granted deer hunting licenses.

"We ask that hunters report anything suspicious such as clothing, weapons or anything you think is just not right on your property," the sheriff's department in a statement earlier this week.

I would imagine the vast majority of criminals obtain their guns illegally. I can't see how checking all gun shop sales would help at all unless the gun used was an unusual type.

It depends on state game laws. Where I grew up, the deer season was split into 3 sections. The first was only 'still' hunting - i.e., sitting in a stand near an area where deer were seen or deer sign was found. The other two sections they allowed dogs. The dogs tracked and then chased the deer much like fox hunts use dogs.

However, looking up the regulations on the Wisconsin DNR site it appears the use of dogs for other than tracking a wounded deer - while the dog is on a leash - is illegal in WI.

Since people seem to kill other hunters in the woods with what we refer to as buck fever because people are so pumped, I think bringing a dog into the woods during deer hunting would be very foolish

I’m not sure if there is such a thing as an illegal gun sale in WI. People sell them through classifieds as well, which is where I would look first.

there could be hot guns that certainly is illegal. more that might not be illegal sale but more like illegal buys. a felon certainly can not buy a gun. I'm sure there are illegal sale and buy going on in every state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova