AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domestic flights, yes. In order for an international traveler to bring a gun into the U.S., it requires advance permission from the TSA. I don’t think a killer would want to leave that paper trail.

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...ting-firearms/bringing-firearms-into-the-u-s/

The waiting period of two- three months would not be a stop gap for someone like the NZ guy . The permit is granted by ATF.

I never would have imagined someone like the NZ guy. So many strange people out there.

My response about guns and checked luggage is that people think you cannot carry a gun on a plane. You can.

But of course Chicago and New York City are issues.

I agree and I think that the risk only matters if the person at risk cares or thinks it is a concern enough to document it. some firearms will go threw several private sales so who knows where it even came from.

When clearing a family estate, I sold a couple guns through an auction company in WI. No records, cash sales. Perfectly legal. Learned a few things today about traveling with guns / gun laws, by state.

So we can conclude that a domestic traveler could have easily traveled to Barron, WI with his own gun. The gun owner must “declare” their gun case to the airline and policies vary by airline.

It would be much more difficult for an international traveler to bring a gun into the Country and would have to prearrange a purchase through a private party.

This was rage. I don't believe someone looking for Jayme would have this rage?! In my mind, it was someone after one of the parents, someone angry.
It could be both. Agree it was red hot rage, but Jayme could have been the focal point depending on any prior communication. Time will tell.

Amateur opinion and speculation.

Deer hunters asked to be on the lookout for missing 13-year-old Wisconsin girl
As deer hunting season in Wisconsin got underway Saturday, the Barron County, Wisconsin, sheriff's department sent out an urgent request to the more than 4,000 people granted deer hunting licenses.

"We ask that hunters report anything suspicious such as clothing, weapons or anything you think is just not right on your property," the sheriff's department in a statement earlier this week.
I hope they find some evidence. Remember the case where the little girl was held under ground? She convinced her abducter(is that a word) to let her use his cell phone to play games. When he was sleeping she would try to text her Mom. The service was real spotty also. My point is Maybe Jayme is being held like that, in the woods. Yes hunters all over the state should look and be aware. IMO.

Random thought, maybe doubtful, but if the perp(s) is commonly active criminally (other home invasions, murder, SA, attempted abductions, etc.), maybe he is currently incarcerated for another crime(s).

I wouldn't be surprised. I think the odds are relatively good the perp has a recent criminal history.

So many I've read where the perps violent criminal history began in their teens and continued through adulthood. Joseph Duncan was out on bond awaiting trial when he killed a family and kidnapped 2 kids; and Nathaniel Kibby made a court appearance on an unrelated charge while he held A. H. captive.

If this was a rob the wrong house scenario then I don’t get why James was killed seemingly right off the bat upon opening the door. It begs the question did someone knock first or ring the bell? If not when did they realize wrong house wrong people if at all? To me wrong house makes no sense when you think about how fast they seem to have taken out James. To me this was more targeted. They knew where they were, who they wanted and how they were leaving with her.
I agree.

Another note is that many gun owners purchase them at gun shows. That is where my ex bought our Glock.
I suppose it depends on the state laws. I also bought a gun at a gun show, BUT I had to undergo the same background check had I purchased it at a store. Same with pawn shops. And many claim that Virginia is not that strict on gun laws.

Where the killer bought the gun is not of much help. If LE has the bullet and the shell casing it isn't of much good without the gun to compare it to. Most states don't require a spent shell casing or bullet to be registered with the gun purchase so if they don't find a suspect they have nothing to compare the evidence to. And even if they did register spent bullets and casings, one could simply put in a new barrel (no restrictions on those), firing pin and extractor and you've basically changed the 'fingerprint' of the gun.

I am 38 and haven't had a cell phone in several years. Offhandedly, I can name at least a dozen people I know who don't own one. There are lots of us out there who choose not to have one; we are usually just quiet about it and, when asked for a number, offer either a landline or Skype #.

You are in a very small minority if that is true.

Demographics of Mobile Device Ownership and Adoption in the United States

I can't even believe this would be a point of contention.

98% of people aged 30-49 have a cell phone

the way I am seeing this we certainly could assume that someone would not go to bed with boots on but someone might let someone else in if they were in pjs that covered well. I don't think there was a knock and I don't think the bell was rang. I think it took more than one blow to the door and that is what places father at front door. the blow was heard and was abnormal and he just reacted and went to the door.

Here’s video link of shotgun through typical door. I am guessing perp knew this would be outcome of shots through door.

Could have waited for James to get home, fake car trouble or lost dog and start with shot through door. Then kick door in...

Only reason I have hard time believing there was no doorbell ring or knock.. if perp knew family .. they likely knew James had guns and kicking the door in might not be easy and give James time to get gun.. I think perp knew James had to be dealt with first and quickly...could have started without a knock..truly don’t know..

Doubtful perp grabbed door but let’s hope boot or shoe used to kick door in gave up size and was unique enough to be valuable..

Here’s video link of shotgun through typical door. I am guessing perp knew this would be outcome of shots through door.

Could have waited for James to get home, fake car trouble or lost dog and start with shot through door. Then kick door in...

Only reason I have hard time believing there was no doorbell ring or knock.. if perp knew family .. they likely knew James had guns and kicking the door in might not be easy and give James time to get gun.. I think perp knew James had to be dealt with first and quickly...could have started without a knock..truly don’t know..

Doubtful perp grabbed door but let’s hope boot or shoe used to kick door in gave up size and was unique enough to be valuable..

I know what a shotgun will do. the pic a few pages back looks like the door is broken from end to end, like it split fairly clean maybe along a joint or natural grain is why I am now thinking kicked. very easily could also be shot though. I wouldn't doubt for a min that a shotgun could have been used and I can see reasons why it would be of preference over a hand gun, but I can see down falls to a long gun too. moo. the back ground of the door pic also shows some very clean and light colored items sitting inside, I assume as part of the home deco, I don't think a shotgun would leave anything in the area that clean. moo.

Just to note: A steel door was used in this video. The Closs home had a wooden door.

Also, a belated Welcome, Rubiconbob. :)
MOO

Still unsure if the front door was kicked in, or was shot in and to be fair, not sure it really matters. Our media sources have differing accounts on that.

The replacement white door looks flimsy, but likely something put in place to at least have a front door.

Back to the thrill kill angle, since nothing can be ruled out.

If so, it wouldn’t have to be an out of towner, but someone familiar with that road. Could very well be a local sociopath, or a duo, probably one in charge and one who went along with it.

I know it’s a long shot, but perhaps LE is looking at offenders in the general area who have committed crimes that involve lack of compassion, and have committed a crime that stands out as extraordinarily cruel.

Also, a possibility is some witnesses provided some information about this to LE but it seemed too absurd to contemplate, and based on the lack of any substantiation, those clues were ruled out, and the investigation went forward.

I haven’t payed much attention to the arrest reports in the area, because I assume there would be some intense investigatory work going down, including DNA swabs and lie detector testing.

Just thinking and my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member