AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #5

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 278
  • Start date Start date
Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the term "caregiver" a name given by LE to that person? Is it possible it's lending a false impression about the nature of that person's role?

If both of her parents are doing shiftwork, it seems like the responsible thing is to have someone available to help pick her up from school or be with her when they couldn't be. 13 is still young and it doesn't seem as if walking home from school down a highway is a great idea.
Under WI law, a child whose caregiver lives within a particular school district becomes eligible for bussing in that district. Jayme appears to have changed school districts in the last year (attended a middle school in the Cameron School District last year, then transferred to Riverview Middle School in the Barron Area School District this year). Early articles mentioned that the caregiver had moved into the new district. It's possible that the caregiver designation was what the family used to get her into a new school (for whatever reason), or simply that a family member caregiver who drove Jayme around and/or took care of her after school wanted transportation options to her house.

This is all just speculation, of course, but could be an explanation for the "caregiver" designation.

Three things in particular jump out at me.
1. Someone explain this “caregiver” to me. What’s that all about?
2. Murder happened after a get together. What happened there?
3. Perp arrived shortly after father got home from work.

I think the crime is more related/tied to the father than Jayme. I think Jayme was an afterthought, a crime of opportunity.
This could very well be an irate ex-employee.

Why at 13 did she need a caregiver?

Amateur opinion and speculation

I think caregiver is just another term for nanny. If I worked crazy hour shifts I wouldn’t let her stay home alone at 13

Is it possible the perp(s) was known?

Jayme could have heard initial GS and hid. If the perp was aware she was there and was not able to locate her that would explain the delay from the first gunshot to 911 call.

A likely scenario is when the perps didn't leave Jayme attempted to retrieve and dial 911. She was located and began yelling for help. The perp disconnected the line and left with her because they didn't want to be seen. Because police have stated Jayme was present at the time of the murders and she was not there when they arrived. The only logical conclusion is the (or one of the) voices on the 911 call.

Is it possible the perp (s) left on foot towards the wooded area in the back of the house?

The other thing I noticed is if the article above is an accurate reflection of events James was in the living area and easily visible upon arrival. Denise was discovered five minutes later. This indicates to me the bodies were not in the same room.
I agree, which to me, says the two shots the neighbor heard were not the only two shots. Time of death would be incredibly helpful!

Is it possible the perp(s) was known?

Jayme could have heard initial GS and hid. If the perp was aware she was there and was not able to locate her that would explain the delay from the first gunshot to 911 call.

A likely scenario is when the perps didn't leave Jayme attempted to retrieve and dial 911. She was located and began yelling for help. The perp disconnected the line and left with her because they didn't want to be seen. Because police have stated Jayme was present at the time of the murders and she was not there when they arrived. The only logical conclusion is the (or one of the) voices on the 911 call.

Is it possible the perp (s) left on foot towards the wooded area in the back of the house?

The other thing I noticed is if the article above is an accurate reflection of events James was in the living area and easily visible upon arrival. Denise was discovered five minutes later. This indicates to me the bodies were not in the same room.

How they left is a mystery to me, too. Either they drove and fled by car or they left by foot. If they drove, where were they parked? If they were there before James came home, would he have seen their car? Would he have thought it was a familiar car and, as a result, not thought anything of it? Or, if it was unfamiliar, why did he not call 911 immediately? If they drove and went the direction opposite of the police station - either a lucky move or someone who knew the area well enough to guess which direction the police would be coming from. I am curious whether James was found in a direction that would indicate whether he was coming into the house or walking towards the door from inside. It would help piece together the night a little more... at least for me.

If they left by foot, where could they have gone and possibly hidden so well to not be found? And how could they drag a 13 year old girl with them that wouldn't slow them down?

You don't typically hear neighbors yelling inside their house when you live in the country.

Oh, you would be surprised. I live in the Cherokee National Forest. We own 6 acres. I can hear my neighbors arguing and I can't even see their house from my house. Sound really travels in a quiet rural setting. We also hear gunshots frequently. Like the Closs' neighbors, we really don't think much of it. We shot a coyote at 3 am once, after one of our cats disappeared, and not a single neighbor ever commented on it until we face booked them to tell them we shot it. " Oh yeah, I did hear that. Figured it was someone shooting a fox or something. "

It's also interesting that there would be a "lot of yelling" occurring while their neighbors, who heard gun shots and a bit later, were up with their dog who was a tiny bit agitated (I can't remember the exact term she used to describe him) but say they didn't hear anything. Assuming the call came from the house and the yelling was heard by the dispatcher but not clearly enough to be discernible, it would indicate a bit of distance between the phone + the voices. Why? And why wouldn't a neighbor hear that?

The properties are pretty far apart and separated by lots of trees. Gunshots will be heard way before yelling would be at the distance I saw in the pictures of the properties. Did anyone ever nail down about how far apart they actually are? I have seen some estimates of about 500 yards.

To me, the "caregiver" situation really does sound like a close relative who helped with Jayme because of her parents' work schedules. I live in a rural, poor area with a lot of factory workers, and it is very common for grandparents or aunts/uncles or even family friends to be the one taking care of children while the parents are working. (In fact, that was true for me growing up.)

Edited to add: it seems to be the preferred method, especially since childcare itself can be costly and people have to work and often live paycheck to paycheck.

Switching schools really could have just been a matter of convenience, especially if the person taking care of her had their own children at the other school or were older and it was simply more convenient for them to have the school closer to where they lived.

Also did the perpetrator flee on foot? And they have 100 volunteers walking all the way to some lake looking for evidence? So in case something was dropped by a fleeing person on foot?

The answer to that is yet unknown. Also likely that something could have been thrown out the window of moving car.

Oh, you would be surprised. I live in the Cherokee National Forest. We own 6 acres. I can hear my neighbors arguing and I can't even see their house from my house. Sound really travels in a quiet rural setting. We also hear gunshots frequently. Like the Closs' neighbors, we really don't think much of it. We shot a coyote at 3 am once, after one of our cats disappeared, and not a single neighbor ever commented on it until we face booked them to tell them we shot it. " Oh yeah, I did hear that. Figured it was someone shooting a fox or something. "
My neighbors have 5 kids. There's less than 500 feet between us, some trees, but mostly cornfields. I don't hear anything from inside their home even when I'm outside. I only hear the kids when they are screaming outside on the trampoline. It really is a matter of landscape, I think, and how the houses are situated.

SBM. I like your theory, just wanted to say all my kids know the password on my phone. My youngest figured it out by the time she was three. If I change it, it takes them no time to figure it out....and I have nothing to hide from them anyway!
Most smartphones you don't need to unlock in order to call 911. You can ask Siri on an iPhone or toggle the on/off switch while holding down the up or down volume button and the call is secret.

Under WI law, a child whose caregiver lives within a particular school district becomes eligible for bussing in that district. Jayme appears to have changed school districts in the last year (attended a middle school in the Cameron School District last year, then transferred to Riverview Middle School in the Barron Area School District this year). Early articles mentioned that the caregiver had moved into the new district. It's possible that the caregiver designation was what the family used to get her into a new school (for whatever reason), or simply that a family member caregiver who drove Jayme around and/or took care of her after school wanted transportation options to her house.

This is all just speculation, of course, but could be an explanation for the "caregiver" designation.
What I find strange about this is that Riverview Middle School is actually much closer to the Closs home than Cameron Middle School.

I entered the school addresses and the home address into google maps; I'm not sure if this link will work:
Google Maps

Why wasn't Jayme originally enrolled in the school that was 2 miles from her house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova