Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any report of LE even mentioning gangs in this case?

I’d love to see that link

I haven’t seen any mention of gangs in articles /stories. I’m not sure about WI but IL has essentially allowed the number of carjackings to skyrocket, esp among minors, who essentially get a slap on the wrist and a release.

Kathleen last spoke to her son around 12/12:30PM and was expected at the game (approx one hour away) by 4:30PM. It’s possible she may have decided to stop off in Gurnee where there is a mall. Being close to Waukegan and other areas, which have gang problems, is a possibility.

Hopefully LE is scanning cameras along all exits and tolls

I’m leaning toward the theory that a crime occurred before she left for go see her son. The person who did this would be someone who knew that she was expected at the game. The perp either killed her or restrained her then drove toward where she was supposed to go, ( sorry, forgot name of the town). The perp knew to avoid the tollway to avoid detection. Picked a random secluded drive, set her and the car on fire.

Was there an accomplice to follow and give the perp a ride home? Perhaps the perp stowed a bicycle or scooter in the trunk. All MOO.

But didn't she keep in touch with her son along the route? Was it only texts? Could be but I think she was talking to her son.

I’m not seeing information on the furniture refinishing business that Kathleen and Peter Ryan ran out of their home. Does anyone have that info?

I can think of a couple scenarios around that, specifically relating to the solvents / flammable materials used in that line of work.

Murder: If Kathleen was murdered in the home, the perpetrator could have taken refinishing solvents from the (home) business to use later as an accelerant. This would also mean there is an accomplice.

Improper Storage: Is it possible that Kathleen may have had solvents/flammable materials stored in the trunk of her vehicle? That Saturday was a warm day but it followed the extreme sub-zero polar vortex that gripped much of the State of WI. Could the warming of flammable materials after extreme cold trigger a fire? Of course, this does not explain what Kathleen was doing at that location or why she did not show up for the 4:30PM game in Mundelein.

My mind got caught up in the aspect of the refinishing business.

Where did you get information that Kathleen and her husband had a furniture refinishing business? I have not seen that. Another poster mentioned that the driveway where she and her car were found was to a home and furniture refinishing business. If the Ryans also had such a business, that would be quite a connection, IMO.

Where did you get information that Kathleen and her husband had a furniture refinishing business? I have not seen that. Another poster mentioned that the driveway where she and her car were found was to a home and furniture refinishing business. If the Ryans also had such a business, that would be quite a connection, IMO.

Aha! No wonder I was coming up empty. Do we know the status of that future business ie how soon it’s opening?

Afaik, the Ryans do not have a furniture refinishing business. Where are you getting this information?
She was a teacher & I don’t believe we are allowed to give information about her husband’s job, but I haven’t read anything connecting them to any furniture business.

Last edited:
Afaik, the Ryans do not have a furniture refinishing business. Where are you getting this information?
She was a teacher & I don’t believe we are allowed to give information about her husband’s job, but I haven’t read anything connecting them to any furniture business.

I misread an earlier post talking about husband and wife refinishing business and thought it pertained to the Ryan family. Unfortunately, I’m unable to edit / delete. I’ll ask Moderator to take care of it.

Sorry folks for any confusions. I should know better than to comment on something that does not have a direct link to a fact such as this. (If anyone has a link to story re: driveway / property where car found related to future furniture refinishing business, pls post.)

The 2nd paragraph that begins with “Using Google...” is where the misunderstanding about the furniture restoration business begins. It’s a theory / example, not fact.

Yes, it's pretty solidly suburban. That particular area is a little more "rural" but not in the boonies by any means. Lot of traffic, too.

Using Google walking maps I zoomed in on one of the driveways it may have been, and they run a furniture restoration business and list their phone number, so I don't see then being startled at someone pulling into their driveway (nor would I expect that of much of that area). Obviously we don't know the address but just something I noticed on a possibility.

Gurnee does see a lot of "out-of-towners" due to the mall, Six Flags (not open in winter though) and indoor water park a like Great Wolf Lodge. Just something of note. Interesting too that a truck stop is nearby.

The area she was found in is bordered by a forest preserve, areas set aside and protected from development, often with trails, etc. Sadly, people do go to such places to commit suicide - if that was the case, or even a crime, you'd think it'd be more tempting to "hide" in the preserve? The driveway indicates a wanting to o be found to me. Just something else of note.

The 2nd paragraph that begins with “Using Google...” is where the misunderstanding about the furniture restoration business begins. It’s a theory / example, not fact.

Thank you for providing that link. I would think LE spoke w/that business owner to see if anything unusual (break-in) occurred. I think it’s a moot point.

But didn't she keep in touch with her son along the route? Was it only texts? Could be but I think she was talking to her son.

I don’t know where she was when she last communicated with her son. I hope that police were able to see her location pings for that day. If it was text, I guess there is no way to know if she wrote or if someone else did.
I would like to know when it was that someone last heard her voice or saw her alive.

This article gives an overview of what we know now . . . Apparently the last contact made by Kathleen with her sons (the two sons she planned on meeting that day):
(Grammar Edit)

https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/kathleen-ryan/

“Kathleen Ryan’s son, Zack Ryan, shared on Facebook that his mother was last seen in St. Francis, Wisconsin around noon. She was planning to come to his basketball game in Illinois and see her grandchildren. She was supposed to arrive at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.”

“The last time her son Sam saw her was when they talked on FaceTime earlier on February 2, NTD reported. The family began to worry when she didn’t show up for the game that Sam and one of his brothers were coaching. They searched everywhere, retracing her steps and even stopping at any rest stops along her route.”

Last edited:
This article gives an overview of what we know now . . . Apparently the last contact made by Kathleen with her sons that day with the two sons she planned on meeting that day:

https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/kathleen-ryan/

“Kathleen Ryan’s son, Zack Ryan, shared on Facebook that his mother was last seen in St. Francis, Wisconsin around noon. She was planning to come to his basketball game in Illinois and see her grandchildren. She was supposed to arrive at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.”

“The last time her son Sam saw her was when they talked on FaceTime earlier on February 2, NTD reported. The family began to worry when she didn’t show up for the game that Sam and one of his brothers were coaching. They searched everywhere, retracing her steps and even stopping at any rest stops along her route.”

Ty for helping clarify.

I'm not very familiar with preppers. What are most preppers prepping for?
Most I know are prepping for lack of city services such as utilities/water or food available due to a major natural disaster. We keep several months worth of canned and long term stored food as well as water, health and first aid supplies and the means to keep warm if power is out for while. I remember as a really little kid riding out the Columbus Day storm in an isolated coastal town on the upper West Coast- we didn't have power for a couple of weeks and was glad Mom baked, canned and freeze-dried fish and game as the only grocery store in our tiny town was so damaged it closed.

Most I know are prepping for lack of city services such as utilities/water or food available due to a major natural disaster. We keep several months worth of canned and long term stored food as well as water, health and first aid supplies and the means to keep warm if power is out for while. I remember as a really little kid riding out the Columbus Day storm in an isolated coastal town on the upper West Coast- we didn't have power for a couple of weeks and was glad Mom baked, canned and freeze-dried fish and game as the only grocery store in our tiny town was so damaged it closed.

Wow. Sounds terrible. Yes, I can see where an event such as that would have you prepping for the unknown. I guess the other poster was thinking more along the lines of the ppl who belief some of the more say...outlandish conspiracy theories. Seemed rather paranoid. I got the point of the post but I didn't believe that's involved in this case. She didn't go into a compound or cult camp. Her car was just in a driveway a little off the hwy I believe.

All above is MOO

Yes, to clarify, the furniture sign was just something I noted from Google maps in an area which *may* have been near where she was found (street view of satellite angle screenshots posted in the beginning of the thread). That may not even be current, anyways given Google screenshots are often a few years old. It was just in reference to discussion about the homeowners possibly being startled by a car pulling into their driveway. Also, being along that busy road they likely are used to people turning around there. Thus unlikely to react in a violent manner re: earlier discussions about of doomsday prep, etc. Being from the same county, I was just clarifying that's it not quite so the as may appear :)

I feel awful for the poor homeowners too, that is not a situation you want to be thrust into. And hoping the family of Kathleen can get some closure soon :(

Yes, to clarify, the furniture sign was just something I noted from Google maps in an area which *may* have been near where she was found (street view of satellite angle screenshots posted in the beginning of the thread). That may not even be current, anyways given Google screenshots are often a few years old. It was just in reference to discussion about the homeowners possibly being startled by a car pulling into their driveway. Also, being along that busy road they likely are used to people turning around there. Thus unlikely to react in a violent manner re: earlier discussions about of doomsday prep, etc. Being from the same county, I was just clarifying that's it not quite so the as may appear :)

I feel awful for the poor homeowners too, that is not a situation you want to be thrust into. And hoping the family of Kathleen can get some closure soon :(

Thank you Skylark. I did note in an article by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal that the driveway is approximatley 1,000 feet from a gas station and a motel.
Body found in vehicle identified as that of missing Milwaukee teacher

So I went to Google maps to see if I could locate it and this is what I came up with . . . (No motel but that could have come after the picture.) I drove this old highway approx one year ago, it’s quite retro, like time stopped when I-94 came through. It has a strange vibe but not as much traffic (esp when I-94 under construction!)l so it does move . . . Can any locals verify this location?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rou...UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=2441386350792684960

Last edited:
I’m bringing up the Google Earth pics I posted back on page 1. This is the intersection of Route 41 & Stearns School Road. One of the recent news articles mentioned that the driveway went back into the trees (a piece of privately owned forest, I believe they called it), & is approx 1,000 feet from a gas station. I measured from the two driveways on the left, right up against the forest, & over to the first entrance to the gas station/truck stop area: just over 1,000 feet.
If these are the driveways, does knowing they’re so close to not just a regular gas station, but a gas station plus Gurnee Truck Stop help our thinking at all? Would this have made it easier for the perp to walk to the truck stop in the dark & blend in, maybe have a bite to eat or use the bathroom or something while calling for a ride - an accomplice or unknowing friend, a Lyft or an Uber? Hitching a ride with one of the truck drivers? I’m wondering how the hypothetical perp got away from the scene of the burning car.

Attachments

• A77DB4E5-8766-4473-AB93-1DD4AB40B016.jpeg
    A77DB4E5-8766-4473-AB93-1DD4AB40B016.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 6F96B435-A3E3-4742-BC2B-1D9B3768C7F4.jpeg
    6F96B435-A3E3-4742-BC2B-1D9B3768C7F4.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 25
Someone said that the one house near the possible driveway where the car was left had a furniture restoring business. Not Kathleen and her husband.

Thank you Skylark. I did note in an article by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal that the driveway is approximatley 1,000 feet from a gas station and a motel.
Body found in vehicle identified as that of missing Milwaukee teacher

So I went to Google maps to see if I could locate it and this is what I came up with . . . (No motel but that could have come after the picture.) I drove this old highway approx one year ago, it’s quite retro, like time stopped when I-94 came through. It has a strange vibe but not as much traffic (esp when I-94 under construction!)l so it does move . . . Can any locals verify this location?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rou...UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=2441386350792684960
The motel is really more of a fleabag type place--not your typical Holiday Inn. It is just north of Fatman's restaurant, near the intersection of 41 and Stearn's School (just south maybe 1/2 block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member