Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this area of HWY 41, especially the motel and truck stop, is known for gang activity? I know that sometimes drug dealers set up business in motels. I've always heard that most gang and drug-related violence is between rivals, so I wonder what the motive to attack Kathleen would be. Could it be to steal her credit cards or something expensive she purchased at the mall, or to use her car to commit another crime? I couldn't readily see a motive for a gang hit on a middle-aged teacher, which is one of the reasons I thought it seemed personal. MOO.
No, I haven't heard of any problems concerning that little motel or that area other than car accidents. There are three restaurants there--The Pointe, Kaiser's Pizza, and Fatman's. There is a subdivision of expensive houses--The Boulders, and multiple subdivisions of nice homes down Stearns School Road. There is gang activity at Gurnee Mills, and there have been car-jackings and shootings there, but none have ended anything like this.

IMO there is no way this isnt personal. It makes the most sense. I dont buy into boogyman stories that have no factual basis.

Just my opinion from experience

It somehow reminds me of the Elvia Fragstein story. She stopped at a TJ Maxx and was kidnapped, murdered and her car was later found burned (a 16 yr old and 18 yr old). This happened in broad daylight (Teens facing capital murder charges in 71-year-old woman's death).

The victim here could have stopped anywhere along her route (gas, snacks, gift, etc), and her car and the fact that she was alone made her a perfect target.

If she stopped somewhere and made purchases with a credit card, I'm hoping the police and narrow down her whereabouts. It is concerning that the person on here from St. Francis had not heard of it. You would have hoped that the town and surrounding towns had put out alerts and were being asked if anyone had seen her or her car.

This is absolutely heartbreaking.

Yes, it truly is. This wonderful woman was loved so deeply by all of her family members.

You can feel the outpouring of love for her just reading the article.

I pray her sons, and husband get justice for what has happened to their mom, and wife.

Such a tremendous loss, but they will remain strong together as a family always relying on their very strong faith in God.

Bless them all as they await for answers about who did this.

Imo

Could you provide links where this has happened?
I’ve asked for links where LE mentions gangs and have been waiting since.

It’s an easy and lazy thing to blame and scaremonger with. Especially with LE never even mentioning it as relevant at all.

IMO. The truth will be that this was personal. It makes the most logical sense.

It somehow reminds me of the Elvia Fragstein story. She stopped at a TJ Maxx and was kidnapped, murdered and her car was later found burned (a 16 yr old and 18 yr old). This happened in broad daylight (Teens facing capital murder charges in 71-year-old woman's death).

The victim here could have stopped anywhere along her route (gas, snacks, gift, etc), and her car and the fact that she was alone made her a perfect target.

Crazy things could have happened but we have no proof or leads right now from LE

A weird case a while ago. Shows anything is possible and we need to see what LE reports before jumping to blame with no actual evidence or proof.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/31/fbi-rules-montana-woman-found-shot-dead-in-trunk-i/

The FBI announced Thursday that the shooting of a Montana woman, who was found dead in the trunk of a car in Spokane last year, was a suicide.

Rita Maze, 47, of Great Falls, was found dead from a gunshot wound Sept. 6, 2016. She was found in the trunk of her black Pontiac Grand Prix, which was discovered in an industrial area near Spokane International Airport. Next to her body lay two spent shell casings and a handgun.

Before her body was discovered, Maze called police and family members claiming that a large man had struck her in the head and put her in her trunk. Her credit card also was used at least twice during the trip, in Kingston, Idaho, and Ritzville.

I talked to somebody about this and they said this is a bad area she went through. This was done, IMO by gangs who take money whatever they can get kill burn the evidence and run. My heart goes out to her husband, kids and grandkids.
Her son has said it was not her normal route and perhaps safety is the reason why. There are some areas of Chicagoland we don't even drive through anymore because of the increases in random violence.

JMO

I’ve asked for links where LE mentions gangs and have been waiting since.

It’s an easy and lazy thing to blame and scaremonger with. Especially with LE never even mentioning it as relevant at all.

IMO. The truth will be that this was personal. It makes the most logical sense.
"Gangs" also are an easy way for people to point the accusatory finger, but provide no evidence other than "fear of other." We know this schtick.

I had a friend who was shot dead in Milwaukee, I know it's dangerous. But that person was killed by someone she knew.

Such is the case in most homicides.

Her son has said it was not her normal route and perhaps safety is the reason why. There are some areas of Chicagoland we don't even drive through anymore because of the increases in random violence.

JMO

I never heard of random crime on expressways in Chicago

"Gangs" also are an easy way for people to point the accusatory finger, but provide no evidence other than "fear of other." We know this schtick.

I had a friend who was shot dead in Milwaukee, I know it's dangerous. But that person was killed by someone she knew.

Such is the case in most homicides.

Bbm. Exactly

I talked to somebody about this and they said this is a bad area she went through. This was done, IMO by gangs who take money whatever they can get kill burn the evidence and run. My heart goes out to her husband, kids and grandkids.

We don’t know where the crime occurred or where she was abducted, but the area where she was found is NOT a bad or high crime area. I have a family member who lives very close to the scene where she was found & he says it’s very quiet & peaceful. Yes, it’s close to a highway, but many of the lots are big, setting the houses more off the road, so it’s quiet & almost country-like, depending on the tree coverage. This is what I think the perp was going for - a more hidden driveway, not too close to a house, where he could start a fire & get away without being discovered.

IMO IMO IMO

Thought I’d start a timeline for our Moderators to update and for new people following. (Fill in the blanks!)

Kathleen Ryan Case Timeline
KR was a beloved teacher at St Augustine Prep in Milwaukee. Her bio:
Kathleen Ryan – Augustine Prep

Saturday, February 2, 2019
Between 12:00-12:30PM was the last (published) time KR communicated with sons, Zack and Sam. She would be traveling that day from her home in St Francis / Milwaukee, WI to Mundelein, IL. KR was looking forward to seeing her boys coaching the game and later visiting w/grandchildren (3).
https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/kathleen-ryan/

4:30PM was the time of the basketball game. KR never made it there. Total distance of trip is 48.3 miles (53 mins from her home).
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/1242a79b-8ae0-481b-967f-857570ba88eb-png.167756/

9:50PM K.R.’s car, which had been set on fire, was identified. Inside the car Police found badly incinerated human remains which would require forensic testing. KR’s car was located (away from her planned route) at 36551 Skokie Hwy (Hwy 41), Warren Township, parked in a residential driveway. Approx 1000 feet / across the road from that driveway is a Shell gas station and motel. Google earth map:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/6f96b435-a3e3-4742-bc2b-1d9b3768c7f4-jpeg.168317/

Google Maps

Click on streetview picture at https://www.google.com/search?q=rou...UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=2441386350792684960

Map showing the 10.6 mile distance from KR’s vehicle location (36551 Skokie Hwy) to her planned destination Carmel High School, Mundelein, IL.
Google Maps

Thursday, February 7, 2019
Lake County Sheriff’s Office verifies that it was KR’s body found in the vehicle:
Body found in vehicle identified as that of missing Milwaukee teacher

Popular shopping mall where KR may have stopped, Gurnee Mills. The exit for this shopping mall is close to where KR’s car was located:
Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member