Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While that’s very true, that nowhere is truly safe, the area where she was found is a nice area & not where anyone would expect to find a burning car with a body inside in his or her driveway. It’s not like a downtown urban city or south side of Chicago type dangerous, I think is what posters are trying to say.

It is, however, an easy & quick trip from Gurnee Mills & downtown-ish Gurnee, which has its fair share of problems...but, more like store robberies & fighting groups of teens at Great America & such, not...this. :(
Violent crime is happening everywhere. I read of one the other day where a man was robbed of his wallet, refused to give up his car keys and he was shot dead.

The killer picked that area where KR's car was found for a reason. My guess is that the killer lived nearby or had someone available to pick up.

As I've read about this case, I'm reminded of an bad experience I had at the I-88 DeKalb oasis a couple of years ago when driving alone. I pulled to the side parking lot for the restaurants and it was deserted. A woman pulled in next to me, rolled down her window sobbing and she asked for my help. She said that she had just dropped her daughter off at the GL Naval Station, she didn't have enough money for gas to get back home and she had gotten lost on the Interstate and taken the wrong turn. She asked to borrow money and promised to pay it back. The woman's car was crammed with stuff and she claimed her teenage son was inside the oasis using the rest room.

I didn't want her knowing my name or address so I went inside, extracted $100 from an ATM and gave it to her. I told her I didn't expect repayment and instead to pay it forward.

I was a middle-aged woman driving alone on the Interstate. I've never been on I-94 that far north of Chicago but I'm wondering now if that is where KR first encountered her killer. Perhaps a middle-aged woman asked her for a ride.

JMO

Violent crime is happening everywhere. I read of one the other day where a man was robbed of his wallet, refused to give up his car keys and he was shot dead.

The killer picked that area where KR's car was found for a reason. My guess is that the killer lived nearby or had someone available to pick up.

As I've read about this case, I'm reminded of an bad experience I had at the I-88 DeKalb oasis a couple of years ago when driving alone. I pulled to the side parking lot for the restaurants and it was deserted. A woman pulled in next to me, rolled down her window sobbing and she asked for my help. She said that she had just dropped her daughter off at the GL Naval Station, she didn't have enough money for gas to get back home and she had gotten lost on the Interstate and taken the wrong turn. She asked to borrow money and promised to pay it back. The woman's car was crammed with stuff and she claimed her teenage son was inside the oasis using the rest room.
\
I didn't want her knowing my name or address so I went inside, extracted $100 from an ATM and gave it to her. I told her I didn't expect repayment and instead to pay it forward.

I was a middle-aged woman driving alone on the Interstate. I've never been on I-94 that far north of Chicago but I'm wondering now if that is where KR first encountered her killer. Perhaps a middle-aged woman asked her for a ride.

JMO

I've encountered beggers too. Many of them in the cities I lived in.

At this juncture, detectives report they have received no tips. They have provided very little information. There has been no press conference. Questions I have . . .
* When son(s) last spoke to KR, did she appear to be ready to leave house?
* Do we know what time she left her home? Did any neighbors see her leave?
* Was her husband home that day?
* Did her husband ever accompany her to basketball games as a family outting?
* What was KR wearing when she was on FaceTime with one of her sons?
* Are family members questioned by LE, given lie detector tests? (Is that protocol?)
* Cameras, cameras, cameras . . . Has LE scoured every exit off I94 and Hwy41 for cameras at gas stations, stores, parking lots etc?
* Have the Tollway cams caught an image of KR’s vehicle?
* Who called in the car fire?
* Was the couple home at the residence where KR’s vehicle was found? Did they note anything unusual?
* Has LE verified the people who were renting rooms at the motel across the road from where the car was found?
* Has LE viewed camera footage from gas station across the road from where the car was found?
* Does HPPA law apply to LE after a death?

At this juncture, detectives report they have received no tips. They have provided very little information. There has been no press conference. Questions I have . . .
* Do we know what time she left her home? Did any neighbors see her leave?
* Was her husband home that day?
* Did her husband ever accompany her to basketball games as a family outting?
* Are family members questioned by LE, given lie detector tests? (Is that protocol?)
* Cameras, cameras, cameras . . . Has LE scoured every exit off I94 and Hwy41 for cameras at gas stations, stores, parking lots etc?
* Was the couple home at the residence where KR’s vehicle was found? Did they note anything unusual?
* Has LE verified the people who were renting rooms at the motel across the road from where the car was found?
* Has LE viewed camera footage from gas station across the road from where the car was found?

Good list of questions! I haven't found very much in MSM to answer your questions. However, the article linked below states her neighbors saw her leave her house around noon, but doesn't specify which house. The articles confirming that the burned body in the car is Kathleen's list her address as the 2300 block of East Holt Avenue in Milwaukee, but it also says she was last seen in the nearby town of St. Francis. Kathleen and her husband are also listed at an address in St. Francis, so it's not clear to me if the cited "neighbors" are from near the Milwaukee address or the St. Francis address. I've seen no mention of her husband or whether he ever attended their son's games with her. All of the quotes and interviews I've read have been by two of her three sons--the ones expecting her at the Carmel Prep basketball game. JMO.

The body found in a Milwaukee teacher's car could be identified Thursday

Good list of questions! I haven't found very much in MSM to answer your questions. However, the article linked below states her neighbors saw her leave her house around noon, but doesn't specify which house. The articles confirming that the burned body in the car is Kathleen's list her address as the 2300 block of East Holt Avenue in Milwaukee, but it also says she was last seen in the nearby town of St. Francis. Kathleen and her husband are also listed at an address in St. Francis, so it's not clear to me if the cited "neighbors" are from near the Milwaukee address or the St. Francis address. I've seen no mention of her husband or whether he ever attended their son's games with her. All of the quotes and interviews I've read have been by two of her three sons--the ones expecting her at the Carmel Prep basketball game. JMO.

The body found in a Milwaukee teacher's car could be identified Thursday
It is my understanding that the address on Holt (and Kinnickinnic) is in St. Francis, WI. While it is a city unto itself, I think it is considered part of Milwaukee. It is an 8 minute drive to downtown Milwaukee. So, I think the the house in Milwaukee and St. Francis are used interchangeably and are one in the same. The obituary also stays her mother lives in St. Francis. But two years ago when the KR's father died, my impression was that the KR's parents lived in Eau Claire, WI. so maybe her mother lived with her or just nearby.
Google Maps

* Do we know what time she left her home? Did any neighbors see her leave? (according to Kathleen's son Sam) He said his mother talked to several family members Saturday morning, and neighbors saw her leave home around noon.
* Was her husband home that day?(I haven't heard one word from or about Kathleen's husband other than Sam said they had been married for 30 years) Sam Ryan said his mother grew up in Fond du Lac and lived in Milwaukee for at least two years. She has three sons and has been married to their father for over 30 years, he said. She survived cervical cancer in the early 2000s.
* Did her husband ever accompany her to basketball games as a family outting? (Again haven't heard any information about the husband)
* Cameras, cameras, cameras . . . Has LE scoured every exit off I94 and Hwy41 for cameras at gas stations, stores, parking lots etc? Covelli said deputies are investigating whether there was foul play and they are reviewing video recorded by surveillance cameras on Route 41.
* Has LE verified the people who were renting rooms at the motel across the road from where the car was found? Motel was said to have been converted to rentals so residents are long term. If I have the driveway correct where KR's car was found, the "motel" is on the same side of the street and south of where the car was found. Fatman resturant is just south of the "motel". Click here to see Google Maps
* Has LE viewed camera footage from gas station across the road from where the car was found? If I have the correct driveway where KR's car was found, the gas station/truckstop is on the same side of the street and to the north of where the car was found.

Most of the information can be found at this link: The body found in a Milwaukee teacher's car could be identified Thursday

It is my understanding that the address on Holt (and Kinnickinnic) is in St. Francis, WI. While it is a city unto itself, I think it is considered part of Milwaukee. It is an 8 minute drive to downtown Milwaukee. So, I think the the house in Milwaukee and St. Francis are used interchangeably and are one in the same. The obituary also stays her mother lives in St. Francis. But two years ago when the KR's father died, my impression was that the KR's parents lived in Eau Claire, WI. so maybe her mother lived with her or just nearby.
Google Maps

In trying to determine where Kathleen was when the neighbors saw her, and if they were the last to see her, I looked for her address. The two towns represent two different homes, though close to one another, because they are on two different streets. Also, photos of them can be seen on Google Maps.
For Kathleen Ann Ryan from the Whitepages directory:
1) 3282 East Thompson Avenue, Saint Francis, WI 53235
2) 2306 East Holt Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53207
https://www.whitepages.com/name/Kathleen-Ann-Ryan/Milwaukee-WI/uazxmkg
I was wondering if there had been any criminal or suspicious activity reported around the time she was last seen, but it's unclear to me exactly where she was the last time she was seen. JMO.

Lie detectors can’t just be ordered...people may be asked but can decline. And I don’t think LE starts out with that question, when a family member dies, though it may come up, certainly.

Beggars don't kill you.
That's a non-sequitur. Absolutely, beggars can and do kill.

Woman killed after giving money to panhandler in Baltimore was engineer who had been out dancing with husband

They’re using this ruse as panhandlers to get the attention of their would-be victims,” Tuggle said. “We also want to caution the public about engaging with panhandlers and recognizing that not all of them have honest intent. Not all of them have real need.”

In trying to determine where Kathleen was when the neighbors saw her, and if they were the last to see her, I looked for her address. The two towns represent two different homes, though close to one another, because they are on two different streets. Also, photos of them can be seen on Google Maps.
For Kathleen Ann Ryan from the Whitepages directory:
1) 3282 East Thompson Avenue, Saint Francis, WI 53235
2) 2306 East Holt Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53207
https://www.whitepages.com/name/Kathleen-Ann-Ryan/Milwaukee-WI/uazxmkg
I was wondering if there had been any criminal or suspicious activity reported around the time she was last seen, but it's unclear to me exactly where she was the last time she was seen. JMO.

Lets go with the theory that Kathleen was abducted in St. Francis by someone unknown to her.

This person took her against her will and maybe killed her right away or killed her several hours later just before setting the car on fire.

If she was alive the whole time, I can't see this criminal going along for a ride letting Kathleen decide where to go or if this criminal was driving the car, he or she would have taken directions from Kathleen or driven in the same direction as Kathleen was going to meet with her sons and grandchildren to watch the game and then dumping the car only 10 miles from her destination.

If Kathleen was killed soon after being abducted in or close to her home town, the likelihood of this random criminal driving her car basically in the same direction Kathleen had planned to go and dumping her car and dead body practically at her destination are so astronomical I would have a better chance at winning the lottery.

The other impossibility would be for this criminal to get back home after dumping the car where it was found, if this criminal that is unknown to Kathleen is from the Milwaukee area. He or she would obviously need someone else's help.

I think it's safe to say if Kathleen was abducted by a stranger, she was abducted closer to where she was found, compared to where she lived.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member