Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing keeping me from signing up 100% for foul play is: Where are the ATM or credit card Transactions
I am a grandmother and have traveled out of state to see my children/grandchildren. One time, my credit card didn't work because I forgot to notify the bank I was traveling out of state. Since then, I also bring plenty of cash with me.

JMO

I am a grandmother and have traveled out of state to see my children/grandchildren. One time, my credit card didn't work because I forgot to notify the bank I was traveling out of state. Since then, I also bring plenty of cash with me.

JMO
I don't think this was that kind of trip, it was only about an hours drive that happened to cross a state line. If it was a carjacking or abduction then very frequently the perp gets the victim to drive to different ATMs to withdraw as much cash as they can.

It could be any number of reasons none of which are significant. I can google myself and a Chicago address is listed. I've never lived in Chicago but co-signed on my son's lease when he was in college.

JMO

Yes, I agree that Googling for addresses is not reliable. I even mentioned in my previous post that I don't trust the accuracy of online directories. However, various MSM articles have referred to Kathleen as living in St Francis, while the MSM reports of her death list a street name and block in Milwaukee. I think the MSM sources, while certainly not infallible, are more likely to be accurate than the online directories. MOO. I'm just looking for any clues, even small ones, and sharing them just like other members do.

The first address is that of Kathleen's mother. I believe she and her husband may have lived there with her for a time. I think the duplex listed as the second address is being rented by Kathleen, and may or may not also house her husband, although I don't believe his name is associated with that address, at least, according to white pages.

BBM Yes, that's what it looked like to me, too. If accurate, do you think there could be any significance to it?

I am late to jumping in on this thread, and really do not have much new info to add, but I live about 20 minutes from the scene where she was found in Lake County, IL, teach at a high school just down the street from Carmel, know people who know the family, and this is just a baffling, shocking case that we just do not see in this area. Not a bad area at all where this happened, and while crime can happen anywhere, we just do not see much murder in Lake County at all (and I know we do not know that yet), and definitely not in this area. Random violent crime is also very rare here. I sure hope LE can get to the bottom of this.

Last edited:
I don't think this was that kind of trip, it was only about an hours drive that happened to cross a state line. If it was a carjacking or abduction then very frequently the perp gets the victim to drive to different ATMs to withdraw as much cash as they can.
It was a trip to visit her children and grandchildren in another state. Doesn't matter if it was one hour or three, her license plates were from out-of-state.

I think LE is likely tracing her credit card activity to see if she made any large purchases or withdrawals.

JMO

IMO it was 2 people who took advantage of her being alone, carjacked her, shot her and put her car in the driveway and set it on fire. They took whatever money they could get. This is what I believe happened.

I am late to jumping in on this thread, and really do not have much new info to add, but I live about 20 minutes from the scene where she was found in Lake County, IL, teach at a high school just down the street from Carmel, know people who know the family, and this is just a baffling, shocking case that we just do not see in this area. Not a bad area at all where this happened, and while crime can happen anywhere, we just do not see much murder in Lake County at all (and I know we do not know that yet), and definitely not in this area. Random violent crime is also very rare here. I sure hope LE can get to the bottom of this.

Folks who live near Brooklyn IA said the same thing when Mollie Tibbetts went missing. Her body was dumped south of I-80 and she was abducted north of I-80. Good people, living in good areas can become victims of random violent crime. Criminals are attracted to "good areas" like moths to a flame.

JMO

IMO it was 2 people who took advantage of her being alone, carjacked her, shot her and put her car in the driveway and set it on fire. They took whatever money they could get. This is what I believe happened.
So do I. The woman who was murdered in Baltimore was approached by a panhandler female with a "baby." A guy with her then stabbed the victim, stole her jewelry.

JMO

Folks who live near Brooklyn IA said the same thing when Mollie Tibbetts went missing. Her body was dumped south of I-80 and she was abducted north of I-80. Good people, living in good areas can become victims of random violent crime. Criminals are attracted to "good areas" like moths to a flame.

JMO

I just don’t think this was random if this was a crime. I will be very surprised due to the brutal nature of it. I know the Tibetts murder was brutal too. I am just playing the odds that most victims know the perp. I am not saying it was not a random crime, just that we just do not see that often around here.

I did acknowledge in my post that crime can happen anywhere. I had a neighbor murder his young daughter when I was young. I knew her well. I was awakened by the gunshots of a man murdering his ex-girlfriend across the street when I was a kid. And yes, those were in Lake County too. So, while not random crimes, it happens. I did not grow up in the best area of the county. I live in a much nicer area of it now.

Last edited:

Right, or uses credit cards quickly before they are flagged. Or steals the car, not destroy it. What did a random perp gain from this crime, that is my question. I do know that some perps don’t need reasons etc...but still, quite unusual. Jmo

Right, or uses credit cards quickly before they are flagged. Or steals the car, not destroy it. What did a random perp gain from this crime, that is my question. I do know that some perps don’t need reasons etc...but still, quite unusual. Jmo
Road Rage in a parking lot? Then waits until later at night to dispose of body? But people would have seen something. Does the lack of information seem unusual? No video published, no tips.

Being from the area. Are you over run with gang violence. Like murder and carjackings?

I just don’t think this was random if this was a crime. I will be very surprised due to the brutal nature of it. I know the Tibetts murder was brutal too. I am just playing the odds that most victims know the perp. I am not saying it was not a random crime, just that we just do not see that often around here.

I did acknowledge in my post that crime can happen anywhere. I had a neighbor murder his young daughter when I was young. I knew her well. I was awakened by the gunshots of a man murdering his ex-girlfriend across the street when I was a kid. And yes, those were in Lake County too. So, while not random crimes, it happens. I did not grow up in the best area of the county. I live in a much nicer area of it now.

The reason I believe this was a random crime is because of the distance from KR's home but also because she was found in the opposite direction from her final destination. I think the killer was very familiar with the area where her car was found. KR had no reason to know the area. The crimes that happened close to your home were both personal crimes of domestic violence.

I think if KR had someone with a personal grudge--such as a former student she helped kick-out of school-- they would have abducted and killed her much closer to her home. The Creighton murders happened in nice homes in nice areas of Omaha, NE. The killer turned out to be a disgruntled doctor with a grudge against his former "teachers" who kicked him out of the Creighton's residency program. He waited years between the murders. LE did an incredibly stellar job solving it.

JMO

The perp gained whatever money and jewelry KR had with her. For all we know, this may have been gang-related.

JMO

Lake County Sheriff's Gang Task Force | Lake County, IL

Even though the circumstances of Kathleen's death seem to me to indicate it was personal, I really do want to keep an open mind. Because so many posters are convinced Kathleen was the random victim of a gang attack, I decided to see if I could find a similar random attack. I found one in Virginia in which a young Hispanic man, who was NOT in a gang and apparently was not known to the young Hispanic gang members, was abducted in front of his house, killed, put in the trunk of his car, driven to a park, and the car set on fire. No motive is given. This story proves that a random attack by strangers can happen close to the victim's home with the body disposed of elsewhere in a burning vehicle. However, I think a very important distinction in this case is that the victim and the perps were of the same demographic--young Hispanic males. I think this could indicate either a case of mistaken identity or some type of revenge, such as the victim having a gang-affiliated family member. I don't know of any gangs of middle class, middle-aged Caucasian women, so that probably rules out mistaken identity or revenge as a motive for a gang attack when comparing Kathleen's case with that of the young man in Virginia. So, while keeping my mind open to the possibility of a random gang attack, sadly, I'm still leaning toward it being personal.

"WASHINGTON — The body found inside a burning car March 15 has been identified as a Woodbridge, Virginia, man.

But Prince William County police say Santos Arquimidis Sorto Amaya, 25, was not in any gang — nor was he even known to the suspects.

Three men and a juvenile with ties to the MS-13 gang were charged in the death less than a week after authorities found Sorto Amaya’s body amid the vehicle fire at Woodbridge’s Veterans Park.

Sorto Amaya was last seen leaving his home the morning of March 13 to go to work. Family members reported him missing a day later after he did not show up for work. At the time of that disappearance, authorities said, no signs of foul play were reported.

The victim was abducted in front of his house, fatally shot, then placed in his vehicle’s trunk, investigators found. The suspects allegedly ignited the fire on the morning of March 15 after they drove it to the park. DNA testing was needed to confirm Sorto Amaya’s identity."
Apparent MS-13 victim who was found in burning car identified as Va. man | WTOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member