Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some nice things being said about Kelly:

April Nolan said her sister takes a casual approach to life. "She's an extremely laid-back person with a very good sense of humor," April said. "She's very strong and extremely humble."

Darren Thies, who said she was a nice young woman

Brian Kersten, principal of Waunakee High School, said she was "just a very good student with no behavioral issues -- a very pleasant young lady to have as part of our student body."

April Nolan said Kelly was fun-loving and creative, a music lover who kept sketchbooks and drawings on her bedroom walls. "She played volleyball in high school," she said. "She's always open and accepting to meet new people, and she values her close relationships a lot."

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=200276

z

LOL! :slap:

I did read the whole post... I just don't know the answers. My impressions are all I really have. It sounds like she was very close with her mother and her sister. I'm not sure about other siblings (do you remember hearing about any?). I have not heard anything at all about the details of any relationships she had with the father and step mother.

From the articles early on, her sister April had said that it is very unusual for her not to be in contact with the family for more than a half of a day. It left me with the impression that she called her mom and sister several times a day. Which is why I have no idea why they waited almost a week before going to the media with her disappearance. They reported her missing on Sunday. Nothing was in the paper or online until the following Thursday.

You mentioned that you feel they're trying to skirt the issue about dealing with the deaths, and school problems. You've hit on something that has been sort of bothering me too.

Her mom says that Kelly told her that she had enrolled in the fall. But, the UW Whitewater spokesperson has said that she had not enrolled. UWW says that the seniors have priority enrollment time in April, but she didn't enroll then, and hasn't enrolled for classes in the fall up to now. I wonder if she wasn't planning on going, and didn't have the heart to tell her mom yet... or if she was planning on enrolling, but just hadn't done it yet. It could be simply a money issue. She was working a summer job (that she had just been fired from)... so maybe she was just saving up for tuition. :confused: I really wish the family would tell us more. It seems like the more details people have, the more interest everyone would take.

Most big schools don't make you pay tuition until classes start in the fall even though you register in the spring. My school even sets up interest free payment plans for students who need them. Given that she told her mom she'd registered for the fall when in fact she hadn't makes me think she was going to maybe take the semester off and just didn't have the courage to tell her mom yet. I don't care how close a family they are telling your mom you are dropping out of school your senior year has to be a scary prospect. At this point I hope she did just run off to clear her head for awhile because the other option is much less likely to have a happy outcome. I don't really see where she would be committing a crime by just walking away to breath for awhile. It's not like she made it look as if someone had hurt or kidnapped her. It's my understanding as an adult you have the right to walk away from your life with out telling anyone whenever you want. Fortunately most adults realize this is a very selfish thing to learn to deal with their problems.

As long as she remembers she can always come home to those who love her...no matter what fuss she has caused. It is important to know you can come home. If it is the case, I wish her mom and family would write a loving letter and publish it to her. I would hate to think she feels backed into a corner.

At least, Audrey got to come home to a family who has loved and helped her get over the past mistakes. She is a survivor and seems to have made great strides.

One thing I did want to do for sure was try to figure out how long it would take Kelly to walk from The Lava Lounge to the building she was living in. Does anyone remember which street she lived on?

Google Directions+Map : Lava Lounge to "Home"

http://maps.google.com/maps?li=d&hl=en&f=d&saddr=461+W+Gilman+St,+Madison,+WI+53703+(Lava+Lounge)&iwstate1=dir:from&geocode=11181304412531476035,43.073809,-89.394862&iwloc=1&dq=lava+lounge&cid=43073809,-89394862,8934960912982975113

"Home" being, Ambassador West Apts. on West Mifflin. Difficult to find a specific address for the Apts. but they are next to Capitol Center Foods from what I understand through their ads...so this will take you there.

About a 3 minute drive according to the map (.6 mile), but a shorter walk straight down Broom.

EDIT: You will need to enter: [SIZE=-1]111 N Broom St as the destination.
[/SIZE]

"And 27 News has learned about one man's encounter with the missing woman.

Bartender Chris Kornell of Lava Lounge at 461 W. Gilman St., told 27 News he did not see Nolan as he served, and then dispersed a crowd in the early morning hours of Saturday, June 23.

But sources close to the search for the college student confirmed for 27 News police have interviewed a man who spent time with Nolan at Lava Lounge and then walked with her outside the bar.

Sources confirmed the man is an employee of another West Gilman Street spot, Amy's Cafe. Sources confirmed for 27 News the man intended to help Nolan get home to her subletted efficiency unit at the Ambassador West Apartments on West Miflin Street, but they parted ways."

07/06 "Missing Woman's Bar Time Movements" http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=13014 or http://wkow.madison.com

ADDED TO THIS:

Also on Saturday, a Madison cafe owner said an employee reported seeing Nolan early on June 23, the morning she was last seen. The employee walked Nolan toward her home until they ran into another man who said he knew Nolan, according to Tom Paras, the owner of Amy's Cafe.

The employee left Nolan with the other man. Two days later, when he learned of Nolan's disappearance, the employee called police with the information, Paras said.

Family of missing student announces $10,000 reward
http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2007/07/08/ap-state-wi/d8q87em84.t

====================================

If this is correct, I have some questions maybe someone could help me with:

1. This is the last confirmed person to have seen her. The employee was walking her home less than a mile away. Why? Too drunk to make it on her own? Generally wanted to make sure she got home okay? In both of those cases, it seems odd he would leave her with someone he didn't know. Time frame?

2. If the dates are correct, he learned about her disappearance the 25th and contacted police with his information. How did he learn that she was missing? Why did the police come out saying and implying to this day that the last confirmed sighting was when her friends parted at 11:30pm?

Any other observations?

BTW...With that information in hand prior to announcing Kelly was missing publicly, complete with a mystery man who Kelly was left with in the span of under a mile from A to B prior to disappearing...why would police suspect no foul play?

Maybe a bigger question, why was the initial focus so heavy on State Street Brats when Lava Lounge was the last place she was confirmed to be at...and the police were allegedly told as much two days after her disappearance but prior to public announcement?

Things that make you say hmmm....

JimNikki,
Generally the last person to be seen with her will be: A person of interest the police refuse to call them a suspect. If they do the perp or person of interest generally lawyer up. Then LE will not be able to find out information they have generally speaking.

He may of possibly heard about her being missing from her family or her friends. I'm sure before the family went to LE they asked around her hangouts if she'd been in.....or who was she with etc etc

Rest assured someone seen something......people generally don't leave without a trace. I'd say the employee who SAYS he left her with another man......... Needs a polygraph test. Does he have proof he handed her to someone else? Doubtful......How reliable is he? Does he have a rap sheet?
LE needs to have a tail on him 24/7.

Does she have a ex boyfriend? Could jealousy be a motive to take her? Has any guy ever stalked her before?Has she had harrassing phone calls? Does she have any enemies? Has she ever dated a married man?
Has her cell phone been used? Bank accounts or Credit cards used?

The possibilities are endless......I sure hope she is found soon. Normally its not good when she hasn't been seen or heard from in this length of time.

You're right about that! I think that we do a lot here. Because I live in Madison (as you all know by now)... I can take the information that we discuss here and look at these places we talk about. Tomorrow, my route for work will be taking me downtown, and I'll try to drive to these places and see what I can find out about the locations. One thing I did want to do for sure was try to figure out how long it would take Kelly to walk from The Lava Lounge to the building she was living in. Does anyone remember which street she lived on? I've been looking all over for that article that gave info from the guy she was subletting from... I think he talks about where it was located. If anyone knows, or can find what street she lived on, that would help a bunch! :blowkiss: I'm glad to have people here who take an interest in this as much as I do. I'm going to be passing out posters tomorrow, and trying to get a map put together on her last known whereabouts.

Be careful where ever you go.....let people know what your up to!

I am running off some posters & going to put some up around town. I live near the Apple river & kids from all over come here to tube down the river.

Her mom says that Kelly told her that she had enrolled in the fall. But, the UW Whitewater spokesperson has said that she had not enrolled. UWW says that the seniors have priority enrollment time in April, but she didn't enroll then, and hasn't enrolled for classes in the fall up to now. I wonder if she wasn't planning on going, and didn't have the heart to tell her mom yet... or if she was planning on enrolling, but just hadn't done it yet. It could be simply a money issue. She was working a summer job (that she had just been fired from)... so maybe she was just saving up for tuition. :confused: I really wish the family would tell us more. It seems like the more details people have, the more interest everyone would take.

This is an excellent point - priority enrollment is KEY for seniors. You need to get any requirements in, and usually people don't miss that priviledge to enroll in all the interesting classes...

Tuition wouldn't have to be paid until long after class signup and well into the semester - so money wouldn't have delayed this.

YOne thing I did want to do for sure was try to figure out how long it would take Kelly to walk from The Lava Lounge to the building she was living in. Does anyone remember which street she lived on? I've been looking all over for that article that gave info from the guy she was subletting from... I think he talks about where it was located. If anyone knows, or can find what street she lived on, that would help a bunch! :blowkiss: I'm glad to have people here who take an interest in this as much as I do. I'm going to be passing out posters tomorrow, and trying to get a map put together on her last known whereabouts.

I thought West Mifflin was the subletted apt. Lava Lounge on West Gilman. I lived on West Gilman - but that was before the Lava Lounge, and Mifflin is a LONG street.

I would say to walk ... a rough 8 minutes, no more than 10 or less than 5.

No need to get in a car, for sure.

However, in the summer, it is more quiet and so I could see why she would want someone to walk her home. When school is in session, that whole area always has people around and I would have considered it safe to walk home.

If anyone's curious, State Street Brats to Lava Lounge isn't far either - a few short blocks.

Google Directions+Map : Lava Lounge to "Home"

http://maps.google.com/maps?li=d&hl=en&f=d&saddr=461+W+Gilman+St,+Madison,+WI+53703+(Lava+Lounge)&iwstate1=dir:from&geocode=11181304412531476035,43.073809,-89.394862&iwloc=1&dq=lava+lounge&cid=43073809,-89394862,8934960912982975113

"Home" being, Ambassador West Apts. on West Mifflin. Difficult to find a specific address for the Apts. but they are next to Capitol Center Foods from what I understand through their ads...so this will take you there.

About a 3 minute drive according to the map (.6 mile), but a shorter walk straight down Broom.

EDIT: You will need to enter: [SIZE=-1]111 N Broom St as the destination.
[/SIZE]

Thanks! That's "nothing" for a walk in Madison. Literally a few blocks in a very well-lighted, populated area. All locations are right downtown.

1. This is the last confirmed person to have seen her. The employee was walking her home less than a mile away. Why? Too drunk to make it on her own? Generally wanted to make sure she got home okay? In both of those cases, it seems odd he would leave her with someone he didn't know. Time frame?

2. If the dates are correct, he learned about her disappearance the 25th and contacted police with his information. How did he learn that she was missing? Why did the police come out saying and implying to this day that the last confirmed sighting was when her friends parted at 11:30pm?

Any other observations?

BTW...With that information in hand prior to announcing Kelly was missing publicly, complete with a mystery man who Kelly was left with in the span of under a mile from A to B prior to disappearing...why would police suspect no foul play?

Maybe a bigger question, why was the initial focus so heavy on State Street Brats when Lava Lounge was the last place she was confirmed to be at...and the police were allegedly told as much two days after her disappearance but prior to public announcement?

Things that make you say hmmm....

Great questions - I find this "walk home" stuff very interesting. Now, in my day, we felt very safe to walk around this area alone, even late at night. However, we sometimes asked a guy we liked to walk us home as a pretense - an easier way to get him to go home with you. :) That may or may not have been the case here. Too drunk or just being nice are other possibilities.

The handoff to another guy is weird. If she did seem like she knew him, then probably the first guy didn't want to make a big deal out of it. However, if first guy had other motives - i.e. going home with Kelly - then he might have insisted on walking her home despite this other guy. I don't think it matters if first guy knew second guy as long as Kelly knew second guy.

I would still want a good look at first guy, though. The story is odd because of the handoff. An easy way not to make you the last person to see Kelly.

Great questions - I find this "walk home" stuff very interesting. Now, in my day, we felt very safe to walk around this area alone, even late at night. However, we sometimes asked a guy we liked to walk us home as a pretense - an easier way to get him to go home with you. :) That may or may not have been the case here. Too drunk or just being nice are other possibilities.

The handoff to another guy is weird. If she did seem like she knew him, then probably the first guy didn't want to make a big deal out of it. However, if first guy had other motives - i.e. going home with Kelly - then he might have insisted on walking her home despite this other guy. I don't think it matters if first guy knew second guy as long as Kelly knew second guy.

I would still want a good look at first guy, though. The story is odd because of the handoff. An easy way not to make you the last person to see Kelly.

I think the first guy offered to walk her home and she was too nice to say no. And when she saw the second man, someone she knew or trusted more, she said "Oh, thanks, so and so will walk me home"

Else, the first guy is lying.

Thanks for the link Jimnikki. New information is coming out.... From the article:

http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2007/07/08/ap-state-wi/d8q87em84.txt
The money has been donated by two sources. The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation, a California group that helps find missing persons, is offering $5,000, and a corporation with ties to the family is offering the other $5,000 anonymously, the mother said.

Also on Saturday, a Madison cafe owner said an employee reported seeing Nolan early on June 23, the morning she was last seen. The employee walked Nolan toward her home until they ran into another man who said he knew Nolan, according to Tom Paras, the owner of Amy's Cafe.

The employee left Nolan with the other man. Two days later, when he learned of Nolan's disappearance, the employee called police with the information, Paras said.

Ok, "Who said he knew nolan" means that she was too incapacitated to agree, perhaps.

I have just read this entire thread. This case is one of the most bizarre that I have ever seen. No leads, no suspects, no information......nothing. I hope the poor girl is found alive and well...

I think there are leads. and suspects, although not officially.

I just heard on the news that the police have begun what they're calling an "article search" south of Madison. The dogs are there, police, etc. but that's about all they're saying.

There is an article search going on for a 3 square mile area just south of Madison, near the town of Oregon. The search is specifically near the highway 14 and Highway MM intersection. They're calling it an article search. The police will not comment on whether they've found a body or whether anyone is in custody. Tips have led them to this area. More information will be released at an 11:00 press conference. I don't have time to find a link, I am working right now, but if you look at www.madison.com there may be one there. I'll update you with what i hear on the radio as often as I can.

11:00 Press Conference
"Article Search" underway now.

Fox News reporting dogs and FBI agents searching...sounds like they have maybe had a tip where to find her, or her body. FNC is on the story every few moments if you're near a TV.

OK Breaking News: It appears the search has intensified in a 3 mile square area in Oregon, WI. It looks very wooded there. It is 5-7 miles south of Madison.

Looks like the road is blocked off by cars and police tape. Police tape is running the length of the road for a long way and have included a large area. It is running along side what appear to be fenced areas of fields. Now, it looks like it is around a large home. Hmmmm...I agree with the reporter on Fox. They don't usually use tape unless it is becoming a crime scene.

Body Found: http://www.channel3000.com/news/13644473/detail.html

MADISON, Wis. -- Police said they found a body at 9 a.m. Monday along Highway 14 in the village of Oregon during a search related to the Kelly Nolan missing person case. Police would not confirm if the body is that of Nolan.

Fox News reporting dogs and FBI agents searching...sounds like they have maybe had a tip where to find her, or her body. FNC is on the story every few moments if you're near a TV.

I heard my info on several reports over the radio on 1670 AM WTDY Madison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679