Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don’t think he was bullying her. He’s a comedian. Several sources have said he didn’t know about her condition, but we don’t know for sure. Even if he did, I think the joke was tame and not making fun of her medical condition—more acknowledging her very short hair and comparing her to another actress who had very short hair in a movie. (And looked GREAT as well). I had no idea she had alopecia, and I’ll bet most people didn’t. She looked great, and I figured it was just a style choice or maybe for a role.

Amy Schumer made a joke about Jennifer Lawrence gaining weight (the Smiths sure laughed at that one!) many jokes about peoples’ appearance throughout the night by all. That’s how the Oscars has been for a long time now. Some like it, some don’t. I think it’s kind of a way they make fun of all the pomp. It’s like they’re collectively making fun of themselves as Hollywood people.

I think it can go too far, but I didn’t think this joke did that. Why is JPS off limits but everyone else is fair game?
I initially thought WS had smacked CR for talking about how hot his wife looked! I didn’t know it was about the alopecia thing until I saw people talking about it on Twitter.

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Membership – The Hollywood Reporter
''In a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Smith said he was heartbroken and would accept all consequences for his conduct.

“My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.”

“We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

Smith’s resignation is about all he can do to regain the respect of many people. That’s what he is attempting IMO. It’s damage control. He should return the Oscar if he sincerely regrets detracting from the celebration of others who were being honored. Incredibly shameful behavior from someone I previously respected but there is video evidence online of WS pushing others around in the past including prior instances of slapping. Absolutely fans have allowed this behavior from him excusing it as humor.

Excuse me while I go roll my eyes really hard right now ... he just still doesn't quite get it, does he?
I wouldn't expect someone so abysmally out of touch with the real world that they march up to an award stage, batter a presenter, then plop back down into their seat like they had every right to do what they just did to "get" it. Maybe ever. jmo

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Over Chris Rock Oscars Slap - Variety

Will Smith resigns from Academy: He sounds contrite but I see this action as taking control - he wanted to be the one to resign instead of the Academy being the ones who decided his fate.

In the statement in the article above Will claims he is ‘heartbroken’ but he certainly didn’t look heartbroken after he assaulted Chris. After he did it he looked very pleased with himself and from the footage that was shown his wife wasn’t distraught or furious with her husband she treated what he had done like a joke. Then after he won his Oscar he was celebrating as if he was carefree like the assault never happened. He should have apologised to Chris during his Oscar speech and admitted what he did was wrong and that he was truly sorry, Will should have apologised to Chris after the ceremony but he did not. His statements about the attack to the Academy and the apology he eventually gave to Chris came across as damage control for his career on the advice of his PR Managers.

I think Will should be banned from attending the Oscars ceremony for five years as well. It is important that the Academy shows that actions have consequences. They can’t have a Code of Conduct and not hold members of the Academy accountable for serious breeches of it. As I have said previously he is a role model for younger people whether he wants to be or not to many of his fans. His behaviour to Chris is absolutely outrageous and totally unacceptable.

If Will was an employee of most companies he would have been fired by them. Will made a terrible mistake and I hope he does feel genuine remorse for what he did. Hopefully he will work on himself to ensure he never behaves like that again. I hope he will now appreciate how important it is that he sets a good example to his own children and other young people who look up to him. He is very lucky Chris Rock declined to file assault charges and/or file a lawsuit against him.

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Membership – The Hollywood Reporter

“We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

Their next "scheduled" meeting .. I would think something as serious as this would have called for an emergency meeting instead of waiting weeks to see how things play out before they have to make a decision.

Smith’s resignation is about all he can do to regain the respect of many people. That’s what he is attempting IMO. It’s damage control. He should return the Oscar if he sincerely regrets detracting from the celebration of others who were being honored. Incredibly shameful behavior from someone I previously respected but there is video evidence online of WS pushing others around in the past including prior instances of slapping. Absolutely fans have allowed this behavior from him excusing it as humor.

Spot on! He can’t possibly let Chris continue to look like he is taking the high road. Im sure this apology is directly tied to that. He was looking worse by the moment. As you/others have said, to truly be taken seriously over his remorse Will should return the Oscar. From there people can decide whether they want to earn his trust over time…or not.

I think this may hit him where it hurts.

I’m not that much of an Oscars buff, so I’m unsure of what Will loses by resigning from the Academy. I’m certainly happy that he is, but in practical terms, what does he lose?

Is it just loss of prestige and status? Loss of voting rights? I’m sure that’s a huge deal in the movie industry, but I really want him to lose the Oscar. Delete him from the record so he can’t be called “Academy Award winner Will Smith.”

What else happens by resigning from the Academy? I’m sincerely asking because I genuinely don’t know. He can’t run ads saying “for your consideration?” He can’t go to screenings?

I think what @La Louve posted is the most significant so far…loss of income. Though that’s not through the Academy.

JMO

I’m not that much of an Oscars buff, so I’m unsure of what Will loses by resigning from the Academy. I’m certainly happy that he is, but in practical terms, what does he lose?

Is it just loss of prestige and status? Loss of voting rights? I’m sure that’s a huge deal in the movie industry, but I really want him to lose the Oscar. Delete him from the record so he can’t be called “Academy Award winner Will Smith.”

What else happens by resigning from the Academy? I’m sincerely asking because I genuinely don’t know. He can’t run ads saying “for your consideration?” He can’t go to screenings?

I think what @La Louve posted is the most significant so far…loss of income. Though that’s not through the Academy.

JMO
I had originally Googled "insurance risk", assuming that it will be more expensive to insure him on a film set now. But this implication is potentially even more serious.

This is a good first step, IMO. I also believe his contrition stems from the backlash he's receiving and not because he's particularly sorry about what he did to Chris.

If he were indeed regretting what he'd done, his teary speech at the ceremony should've started with apologizing to Chris, but instead he apologized to the Academy and left Chris out altogether.

That whole Smith family...Jada laughing after Will slapped Chris, Jaden posting, "and that's how we do it," all of them dancing the night away at the after-party---how sorry were they before the stuff hit the fan?

Even to give him the benefit of the doubt, that with hindsight he realizes the damage he's done, strikes a false note to me. I agree that he's resigning so as to avoid being pushed out.

Next step would be to hand the Oscar back. Even if he deserved it for acting, it's a scarlet letter now. How can he look at it on his mantlepiece or whatever and not see the self-destruction of his career, or at least his reputation?

I wonder if Will would have slapped someone with a more forceful personality than Chris Rock? Say Eddie Murphy, for example, was hosting and made the same joke? Obviously I don't know, but I feel that Eddie would have knocked him down. I think Will Smith just has no respect for Chris Rock in particular.

Jmo

I agree with everything you’ve stated. Did you see the smug Instagram reel he posted after the event?

He had a six minute phone conversation with someone from the academy. Where the hell is his personal apology to CR.

In the statement in the article above Will claims he is ‘heartbroken’ but he certainly didn’t look heartbroken after he assaulted Chris. After he did it he looked very pleased with himself and from the footage that was shown his wife wasn’t distraught or furious with her husband she treated what he had done like a joke. Then after he won his Oscar he was celebrating as if he was carefree like the assault never happened. He should have apologised to Chris during his Oscar speech and admitted what he did was wrong and that he was truly sorry, Will should have apologised to Chris after the ceremony but he did not. His statements about the attack to the Academy and the apology he eventually gave to Chris came across as damage control for his career on the advice of his PR Managers.

I think Will should be banned from attending the Oscars ceremony for five years as well. It is important that the Academy shows that actions have consequences. They can’t have a Code of Conduct and not hold members of the Academy accountable for serious breeches of it. As I have said previously he is a role model for younger people whether he wants to be or not to many of his fans. His behaviour to Chris is absolutely outrageous and totally unacceptable.

If Will was an employee of most companies he would have been fired by them. Will made a terrible mistake and I hope he does feel genuine remorse for what he did. Hopefully he will work on himself to ensure he never behaves like that again. I hope he will now appreciate how important it is that he sets a good example to his own children and other young people who look up to him. He is very lucky Chris Rock declined to file assault charges and/or file a lawsuit against him.

Yup. And again, he’s the victim. “I’M heartbroken.” Nah, bro. CR is, because you humiliated him in front of millions, for nothing.

Every apology he’s given so far has been self-serving and has fallen short.

JMO

He earned the Oscar. And he earned it for what he did before he assaulted CR. So I don’t think he should lose it. But banning him from the Oscars and/or fining him seems appropriate.

IMHO, at this point and time...5 days out from the hideousness that the world got to witness..WS image and reputation is:

****Insert image of seriously burnt toast ****

There is nothing he can do now, the damage is irreparable

I don’t know. I bet he doesn’t face much of a consequence in his world. Big names in Hollywood immediately rushed up to him, surrounded him and coddled him, for striking another man in the face over nothing. While Chris Rock stood there humiliated and alone.

Then he got a standing ovation.

JMO
Smith has willingly left the acclaimed organization of movie stars, directors and producers. By resigning, Smith will no longer be able to vote on Oscar-nominated movies and performances each year. His work, however, will still be eligible for future Oscars consideration and nominations.
Will Smith resigns from the Academy - CNN

Typical. Next up will be a 30 day rehab of some kind. The usual PR clean-up after a celebrity royally screws the pooch.

jmo

ETA: Interesting. From the linked article (BBM):

Academy president David Rubin replied to his resignation, saying in a statement, “We have received and accepted Mr. Will Smith’s immediate resignation from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

He wiill be required to take an anger management course (eyeroll)!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiKi_T
Back