Will the Rebecca Zahau case be reopened?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Will the Rebecca Zahau case be reopened?

• No

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Yes, if they get a new lead.

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Yes, if a new witness comes forward.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don't see any reason for the case to be reopened.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 16 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sept. 2, the San Diego County Medical Examiner and the Sheriff's department ruled Zahau's death a suicide, meaning the criminal investigation was officially closed.

As a result, the case file – including police reports and witness statements collected by investigators – will be turned over to the Zahau family in accordance with California Government Code and victims rights laws, Lt. Nesbit said.

Respectfully snipped by me

Hmmm.....I guess THAT never happened :maddening:

So we have a LE agency who brazenly gives the finger to the California Government Code and victims rights laws.

That was Sept. 2, 2011

The California Attorney General has now had the plea from the Zahau family to reopen the case for some time. Based on the voluminous information this forum has come up with on the Misrepresentations/Untruths/Gross Inconsistencies thread, not to mention Cyril Wecht's opinions, it seems there is much legitimate information the AG has for consideration.

If, in light of the overwhelming and compelling amount of new and highlighted errors in this investigation, the AG does not rule to reopen the case - that ruling in essence places the AG in the same category of unjust treatment that has already befallen the Zahau family and citizens alike.

It would be abhorent to not reopen Rebecca's case. In fact, to continue to keep a lid on a smelly investigation makes one question the ethics and true purpose of the AG office and reinforces the SDSO's questionable intentions. Failure to reopen a case promotes lingering doubts and speaks to injustice.

In contrast, to reopen the case and let the cards fall where they may is supposed to be what our justice system is all about. Should the AG fail in allowing our justice system to be transparent and open will be a failure of the highest order. I hope this long review is a good sign for its reopening.

The California Attorney General has now had the plea from the Zahau family to reopen the case for some time. Based on the voluminous information this forum has come up with on the Misrepresentations/Untruths/Gross Inconsistencies thread, not to mention Cyril Wecht's opinions, it seems there is much legitimate information the AG has for consideration.

If, in light of the overwhelming and compelling amount of new and highlighted errors in this investigation, the AG does not rule to reopen the case - that ruling in essence places the AG in the same category of unjust treatment that has already befallen the Zahau family and citizens alike.

It would be abhorent to not reopen Rebecca's case. In fact, to continue to keep a lid on a smelly investigation makes one question the ethics and true purpose of the AG office and reinforces the SDSO's questionable intentions. Failure to reopen a case promotes lingering doubts and speaks to injustice.

In contrast, to reopen the case and let the cards fall where they may is supposed to be what our justice system is all about. Should the AG fail in allowing our justice system to be transparent and open will be a failure of the highest order. I hope this long review is a good sign for its reopening.

If the AG does not investigate it is possible to request a judicial review, no?

I wholeheartedly agree..... law enforcement is not perfect... we are all only human.... after reviewing this case... sadly I don't feel quite as safe in this world.... as I once did.... I don't know anything about how homocide detectives are trained and how Sheriffe's get their jobs/knowledge...... but bias can really blind you.... many cases seem to go off the rails... when LE seeks to prove a given scenario instead of considering every single piece of evidence.... every fact must fit together.... it is a puzzle.... you can't just ignore or refuse to follow up evidence that does not fit your theory..... we aren't talking about a missing skate board here... this is DEATH... the loss of LIFE.. it deserves our utmost respect...and consideration...

I can see how LE can miss things and new perspectives can come to light even when LE has real integrity..... It is when sincere experts careful and studied opinions are completely ignored by LE.... that I am insensed... at the injustice.... when experts bring forward information so compelling.. and you just stonewall and refuse to consider those facts and pieces of evidence.... that justice becomes perverted..... SDSO should be ashamed. IMO

Well said. Initially, it was being investigated as a homicide. What were the convincing discoveries that turned the investigation on it's head? How were the detectives persuaded to change their opinions?

Were the economic interests of the island as a tourist destination put above a sincere effort of a fact finding mission?

Why weren't the telephones of all of the key players taken immediately for forensic analysis, while the information was still also available on phone company servers?

How were the statements of key players (those close to the victim by relationship or recent contact) taken at face value, without further corroborating facts?

Why weren't key items tested for DNA? Why weren't reenactments undertaken for the given explanations?

The message on the door should have been forensically analyzed. Why wasn't it?

How was the suicide conclusion settled on, rather than, at the very least, an undecided conclusion in order to preserve the evidence?

I'm so hoping that the AG honors the request for a new, thorough investigation, for the sake of Rebecca's family and Rebecca.

Well said. Initially, it was being investigated as a homicide. What were the convincing discoveries that turned the investigation on it's head? How were the detectives persuaded to change their opinions?

Were the economic interests of the island as a tourist destination put above a sincere effort of a fact finding mission?

Why weren't the telephones of all of the key players taken immediately for forensic analysis, while the information was still also available on phone company servers?

How were the statements of key players (those close to the victim by relationship or recent contact) taken at face value, without further corroborating facts?

Why weren't key items tested for DNA? Why weren't reenactments undertaken for the given explanations?

The message on the door should have been forensically analyzed. Why wasn't it?

How was the suicide conclusion settled on, rather than, at the very least, an undecided conclusion in order to preserve the evidence?

I'm so hoping that the AG honors the request for a new, thorough investigation, for the sake of Rebecca's family and Rebecca.

BBM. I understand the frustration of the family and friends but I don't believe any AG will see that alone as a reason to reopen any old case, not just this one.

Such an investigation would be expensive to taxpayers and RZ wasn't a taxpayer or a resident of the state and her family doesn't reside there. Plus, they have appeared on numerous cable entertainment shows to very publicly criticize several agencies of LE. From what we saw happen in Aruba with the Natalee Holloway case, LE tend to circle the wagons when that happens. I also don't see the AG wanting to help the family pursue a civil action, which the family has implied they are considering.

JMO

BBM. I understand the frustration of the family and friends but I don't believe any AG will see that alone as a reason to reopen any old case, not just this one.

Such an investigation would be expensive to taxpayers and RZ wasn't a taxpayer or a resident of the state and her family doesn't reside there. Plus, they have appeared on numerous cable entertainment shows to very publicly criticize several agencies of LE. From what we saw happen in Aruba with the Natalee Holloway case, LE tend to circle the wagons when that happens. I also don't see the AG wanting to help the family pursue a civil action, which the family has implied they are considering.

JMO

Rebecca and Max were living, breathing human beings who were and are worth the effort to pursue truth and justice despite all the reasons you listed above for turning a blind eye to their deaths.

Also, Gore should not be offended by the criticism. He knows he did an incoherent and incomplete investigation on Rebecca's case. If Gore does well he will be commended. If he does poorly then he will be criticized. He knows the score on that one, no need to be petulant because fair is fair.

Rebecca and Max were living, breathing human beings who were and are worth the effort to pursue truth and justice despite all the reasons you listed above for turning a blind eye to their deaths.

Also, Gore should not be offended by the criticism. He knows he did an incoherent and incomplete investigation on Rebecca's case. If Gore does well he will be commended. If he does poorly then he will be criticized. He knows the score on that one, no need to be petulant because fair is fair.

While Jonah does pay property taxes on the homes that he owns in San Diego County, neither he nor Dina are residents of CA and pay state income tax.

And if enough citizens of San Diego County feel that Gore has done a poor job, they will vote him out of office the next election.......if he should decide to run.

When or where has he been petulant? He doesn't control decisions on the AG level. His office spent considerable resources to investigate. I understand that you don't like their conclusions but I don't see the conclusions changing any time soon. I have yet to find any member of LE who lets public opinion bother them.

JMO

When or where has he been petulant? He doesn't control decisions on the AG level. His office spent considerable resources to investigate. I understand that you don't like their conclusions but I don't see the conclusions changing any time soon. I have yet to find any member of LE who lets public opinion bother them. /QUOTE]

Well LE should have tough skins if they want to be in law enforcement and the public's eye because the public has a right to scrutinize and comment on their actions.

Someone implied in an earlier post that LE reacts to public criticism adversely. They shouldn't though because they know they are in the public's eye so why would they act like a petulant child when criticized, that was the point there.

Didn't know where else to put this information and comment...so opted for this thread as others are closed.

Last night on 48 Hours the program involved the suspicious death of woman who happened to be Asian. Her boyfriend was accused of torture and murder.

He was found innocent primarily for two reasons:
1) The woman's questionable past involving "soft *advertiser censored*."
2) The testimony of a former San Diego County coroner who testified that certain brain activity would not be present if the woman had been strangled.

The relationship to RZ's death is interesting as the defense used the woman's PAST decision involving *advertiser censored* as part of a negative characterization of her.

Secondly, the judge did not allow the prosecution to call a rebuttal witness (a person who would have countered the SD coroner's statement). Jury members interviewed stated that since there was no further information and the topic wasn't addressed by the prosecution, they took the coroner's statement as "true."

The strategy is somewhat similar to the tactics being used by DS's "legal" team. Defame RZ and find an expert who will agree with your premise.

And, I have not wanted to raise the "race card", however, there does seem to be a bias running through some of the discussions implying "cultural" differences which might explain RZ's "attack" on MS.

Food for thought...OH...the woman in the 48 Hours segment had a resemblance to RZ, too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18559_1...us-death-of-felicia-tang/?tag=fdleft;fdmodule

While Jonah does pay property taxes on the homes that he owns in San Diego County, neither he nor Dina are residents of CA and pay state income tax.

And if enough citizens of San Diego County feel that Gore has done a poor job, they will vote him out of office the next election.......if he should decide to run.
Thank you, Inparadise. Just pushing the thank you button is enough.

I agree, I think both cases need to be reopened. Max's fall "may" have been an accident, but there is no way, in my mind, Rebecca committed suicide.

I agree, I think both cases need to be reopened. Max's fall "may" have been an accident, but there is no way, in my mind, Rebecca committed suicide.

And I think just the opposite...Rebecca's death was a suicide, and Max's death "may not" have been an accident.

And I think just the opposite...Rebecca's death was a suicide, and Max's death "may not" have been an accident.

Honestly...I disagree. Respectfully of course...precious Maxie died from a tragic accident while precious Rebecca was murdered.

Thanks for that article Lash. I found these quotes to be most interesting:

KELLY: So, you think it was really and truly an accident? Because you know what everybody was saying? That the chandelier fell on him. That’s what everybody in town was saying. And then the next day it was, “No, he fell down the stairs.” The story keeps changing.

The boy fell?

He might have been purposely dropped from a high altitude. On his neck or head. “Fell down the steps” is an old excuse. They use that one a lot.

With all due respect CG, there are opinions in the article supporting all stories. I could have chose an opinion that supported a particular theory to copy and paste but I did not to respect all the posters here. I chose not to cherry pick stories.

I don't think either case will be reopened. I think they should, but I don't think they will.

I also think it is a sin that they will not be reopened.

The voters need to vote these people out. That is probably the only satisfaction anyone will get. That will be little consolation to the families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState