Woman sues Dunkin Donuts for 15Million

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if the manufacturors have had any lawsuits against them... and what theur recommended setting is?

Maybe she had nylons under her jeans? Seriosuly, they can melt just like plastic at high temps.

poco said:
You order a coffee, if it's not hot - but yet need a warning that says Caution, contents hot??????
I'm siding with the lady here - coffee is supposed to be hot, but not that hot! It's like ordering an ice cream cone, they warn you it's cold - so it's your fault if they've got it down to the temperature of liquid nitrogen, and it gives you frostbite if you touch it for an instant?

It's a fast food restaurant - people shouldn't have to take precautions like they are picking up a biohazard or vial of acid! Just because coffee is supposed to be hot doesn't mean it's supposed to be so hot that it needs forever to cool down to be able to drink it without putting burns all down your throat!

I've seen what those kind of burns look like - the skin just slides off - it's horrible! Recovery is incredibly painful and long.

Ok not trying to pick this apart but please go back and read the first post those of you who think she get the money.
First of all they pulled out of the drive thru to go across the street to the strip mall and when the friend was trying to park the coffee landed in her lap!! The car was clearly moving and oops sorry I spilled the coffee when I went to get my purse or perhaps when my friend was trying to park the car she hit a bump or she knocked over the coffee with her elbow when trying to park the car. She was a klutz she spilled her coffee. Yes she is the hospital. She MAY I repeat MAY NEED SKIN GRAFTS. There is nothing in the article that states what degree her burns are. Has anyone ever had a whiny relative who wanted to stay longer in the hospital becasue they were oh so sick but should have went home days ago becasue they were just seeking sympathy. I would be awful whiny if I thought it would get me $15 million. I would be talking about skin grafts and possible infection etc. There has been no statement by the doctor just the sapeculation of family and media. She would have to have several burns to need a skin graft. She essentially would have had to set her leg on fire with a butane torch to recieve a skin graft. Sorry I do not buy it. I am a meanie I know but I guess I am a little jilted. Sorry!:furious:

lol crash, I don't think you are a meanie :)

Scalding can be bad though... but 15 million? :hand:

My boss was about to take a drink of his coffee this morning (out of one of those insulated cups with a lid). Just as he got the cup up to his mouth, the lid fell off and he poured the coffee all over himself. He was fine. It's a good thing, because it was a hilarious sight to see and I laughed my butt off!

lol Rangers, I'm glad he wasn't hurt...

that image will give you years of laughter to come (if only in your head) :D

If you skin is peeling off, that's a pretty good burn. And hot water (or coffee) can easily enough do that - 2nd or 3rd degree burns.

I still remember watching this case on Trauma, Life in the ER (this is a reality series, not scripted, just footage from recording in the emergency room) of a young girl brought in with burns where her skin was peeling off that way - she was trying to help cook something and accidentally spilled boiling water on her arm and hand.

Being a klutz or not being a klutz doesn't excuse a restaurant for giving out something hazardous. There's no reason to give out coffee that hot - their customers don't want it, it's dangerous, it takes too long to cool enough to be drinkable, and they know perfectly well that people will be driving with it. They're doing something dangerous to save a few cents on using less coffee grounds - ridiculous. No one expects that when they spill coffee over themselves that they'll get burns like that. Ranger's boss didn't.

I love watching medical shows, and it doesn't much get to me, but the burns are the worst. Just horrible!

crash676 said:
She would have to have several burns to need a skin graft. She essentially would have had to set her leg on fire with a butane torch to recieve a skin graft. Sorry I do not buy it. I am a meanie I know but I guess I am a little jilted. Sorry!:furious:
Uh - not true. I saw a case on Trauma (again) where it was an elderly guy in a bathtub where his foot slipped and turned on the hot water full blast. He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns and needed skin grafts.

But whether or not she needs grafts, anything bad enough to burn you to the degree your skin falls off is just not right to hand out in open cups to drivers in the drive through lane.

Mabel said:
I agree, Katherine Q. I thought the McDonalds suit was frivolous until I learned the extent of that poor woman's injuries and that the coffee was hotter than the law allows it to be sold. Sure, we can all be clumsy, but no product sold with the intent of being immediately consumed should be that hot. If you accidentally spill the coffee you make at home on yourself you'll get burned, but it won't melt the flesh off your bones like it did in the case of the McDonald's woman.

I was shocked when I actually read the McDonalds case details. After reading I totally agreed with the jury.

I think a really big problem with the court system is the punative damages - they shouldn't go to the victim. That's why they're suing for a ton of money - to make DD change their behavior, to make it not worth it to have ridiculously hot coffee to save a little money on the grounds. And that's the only tool to make those big companies change their behavior - make it more expensive to do the wrong thing.

But the money from the punative damages shouldn't really go to the person who manages to win the court case - it's excessive overcompensation for their injuries. Some excess - OK, a ton of excess - no. They should pay for the injuries, for the continuing medical care needed, for any shortening of a life span, for the lawyers and time needed to bring the suit, and maybe just a bit of extra for pain and suffering.

The rest of the punative damages should go to some variety of trust fund, used for an appropriate purpose. Maybe to help monitor the company's future behavior, or maybe to a general fund to help pay for the medical care for victims who have the misfortune to be injured by a defendant who can't or manages to avoid paying the judgement. Punative damages are really punishing the company on society's behalf - so the money should go to help society in general.

That might also help keep some of these cases where the punative damages really are appropriate from being reduced so much on appeal.

200 degree coffee? Not necessary and they (DD) should have to pay. It is not careless to spill a 200 degree beveridge that the lid is not on properly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210
Back