Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart breaks for Rebecca's family. I stand with them in their belief that Rebecca was murdered.

Sadly, I do not believe the right person is on trial. I also wish this was a criminal trial, not a wrongful death case. The LE community failed Rebecca and I think it is a travesty.

That being said, if I were on THIS jury, I would have to vote NOT Guilty. Adam being the one to find Rebecca and staying in the guest house is not enough for me. I do not think Adam had any motive to kill Rebecca.

No matter what happens here, my only consolation is the fact that there is no statute of limitations concerning criminal murder charges.

BBM, holding Rebecca responsible for his nephew’s death is a possible motive, IMO.

BBM, holding Rebecca responsible for his nephew’s death is a possible motive, IMO.

Max had not passed away yet, it was several days later, and there is no evidence that AS was all that torn up over MS accident

According to Greer in his interview with Tricia it was thought at the time that R had saved MS as expressed in the message on the door.

AS self admits viewing Asian bondage *advertiser censored* in the guest house then what do you know a beautiful Asian woman dies bound and sexually assaulted

Max had not passed away yet, it was several days later, and there is no evidence that AS was all that torn up over MS accident

According to Greer in his interview with Tricia it was thought at the time that R had saved MS as expressed in the message on the door.

AS self admits viewing Asian bondage *advertiser censored* in the guest house then what do you know a beautiful Asian woman dies bound and sexually assaulted

Yes, this is true. However, there was little hope for a full recovery (possibility of brain dead.)

As you say, maybe sexual bondage assault led to her death. The self inflicted hanging was a coverup.

I think that this was an attempted rape case that went wrong. I think he panicked and was afraid that she was going to tell his brother- which she prob would’ve. So he strangled her and staged the rest. I actuallly think he might’ve originally staged it as a murder, hence the message on the door and had a long few hours thinking it over before calling 911 and finally thought saying she hung herself was more believeable.

BBM. To my knowledge, AS admitted to masturbating to *advertiser censored* on his phone. There was other information about Asian bondage *advertiser censored* having been viewed on a computer(s) at Spreckels. It's a small point of difference, in the big scheme of things (and for the record, changes nothing as far as I'm concerned), but it's probably a distinction we should keep in mind.

Lezah: Okay, now I'm back with you in the guest house as the murder scene. (Yesterday, after learning RZ's clothes were not missing after all, I had her in the shower when she was first assaulted.)

The reason it makes sense to me is the super weird staging of the room upstairs with the note on the door and all, which was intended to mislead investigators, and seems to have done the trick, since the guest house was virtually ignored by SDSO. For years we've been pondering the meaning of all the weirdness in that upstairs room, including the balcony, and could never make sense of it. If it was purely for staging, it makes more sense that it makes no sense, if you know what I'm trying to say.

It's also possible the blood and hair was left in the shower by AS, I suppose.

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: Good evening. I`m Ashleigh Banfield. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Welcome to the second hour of CRIME & JUSTICE. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Rebecca Zahau died a gruesome death, no matter how you look at it. She was found hanging from the balcony of her millionaire boyfriend`s mansion. She [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]was naked, bound, and gagged. The investigators looking at the case said it was suicide. Her family says she was killed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]And tonight for the very first time, we are hearing from the man they say killed her. The brother of Rebecca`s boyfriend, the only other person on [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]the property that summer morning, the man who called the police after he says he found her body. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp](BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, a girl hung herself at the guest house of -- it`s Ocean Boulevard across from the hotel. Same place you came and got the kid [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]yesterday. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: OK, sir, what is the address? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I`m not sure. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is she still alive? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I don`t know. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp](END VIDEO CLIP)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: That man was Adam Shacknai. And he is on trial now, effectively a civil case. He is taking the stand and he is saying that he had nothing [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]to do with her death. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: First question. Sir, did you ever do anything at any time to participate in the death of Rebecca Zahau? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]ADAM SHACKNAI, DEFENDANT: Most certainly not. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sir, at any time on the evening of July 12th, 2011, or the early morning hours of July 13th, 2011, did you ever, at any time, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]leave the guest house and go into the main residence? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Objection, leading. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I`ll allow it. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SHACKNAI: I did not. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sir, on any time at the evening of July 12, 2011, or the early morning hours of July 13th, 2011, did you participate ever in any [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]act to harm or kill Rebecca Zahau? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SHACKNAI: Most certainly not. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: I know that sure looks like a criminal trial, but let`s be real clear, it is not. He has not been charged with anything. He is being [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]sued. There`s a big difference. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Rebecca`s family says that Adam Shacknai had reason to kill their loved one. And they say it`s because she was babysitting his nephew. And that [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]nephew took a fatal fall. But police say that`s the reason she actually may have committed suicide. That the guilt of the little boy`s injuries [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]simply just got to her. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The sheriff even ended up doing a demo to prove that she, herself, could have done this. She could have tied herself up. But Rebecca`s family saw [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]those percent knots as a sign that Adam Shacknai was the one when tied them. They said the knots were nautical and they pointed to his career, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]because Adam Shacknai is a tug boat pilot. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Shacknai says all he ever did in all of this was cut that body down when he spotted Rebecca hanging there and already dead. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]With me now, Miles Himmel, he is a reporter for KFMB AM 760. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Miles, it just gets more and more intriguing as more people take the stand and more of the story comes out. But I was fascinated by the 911 call. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Because the 911 call that Adam Shacknai meant ostensibly after he spotted Rebecca Zahau`s body hanging bound and gagged and naked, I imagine that it [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]would be a terrified voice, a flustered voice. And I wanted to hear how it played in court. So before I ask you a question about it, let`s actually [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]hear what it was like on that phone call. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp](BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][19:06:00] UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK, no problem. And she`s thirty, last time you saw her was last night? OK, all right, OK, they are coming. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Lights and sirens, OK? Does she have any type of pulse when you brought her down? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Does she have a what? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Did she have a pulse when you brought -- when you cut her down? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, she`s got her fricking hands tied behind her back. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: They were, OK? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Jesus (bleep) -- [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK, listen to me. The paramedics are coming, OK. You got her on the ground? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. I got her on the ground. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK. Was there anything in her mouth? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: What was in her mouth? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Some kind of gag in her mouth. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK. You took it out? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp](END VIDEOTAPE)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: Miles, that sounds like somebody who is pretty traumatized by what he is seeing. It doesn`t necessarily sound like a murderer who is [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]faking it, although, listen, I have been mystified before by people`s demeanor in court. What did it seem like, his demeanor on the stand? What [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]did it seem like on court? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]MILES HIMMEL, REPORTER FOR KFMB AM760: Yes, it was a wild day yesterday, Ashleigh. So here is how it started. Let me put you there. The Zahau [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]family attorney, Keith Grier, first question he said, I`m going to start with an easy one, Adam. Tell me your age. And he looked right back at him [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]and he said, they are all easy, and then he told him his age. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]And he said, OK, here we go. We are off on this. And so, he was very confident. He was well rehearsed, you know. I mean, the Shacknai attorney [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]and their side had him very well-rehearsed and he knew what he was talking about throughout that. So there were no, you know, out of left field [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]questions, no answers that got him out. He was very well rehearsed and disciplined. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That 911 call, you know, the question that remains on the Zahau family side is was he performing CPR during it? Because if you listen, they had an [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]audio expert listen to it and say he always had the phone up to his mouth, which means you wouldn`t be giving CPR with your phone to the mouth, but [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]never once did he put that to the side. That`s a question that`s still remaining. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: I`m glad you mentioned that. In fact on within the stand, he talked about getting a table and placing a table under her hanging body and [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]getting up on the table and using a knife to cut down her body and then actually perform CPR. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]So let`s play that, actually. And you can actually hear him grunting. But I think you are right. If you listen with two different kind of [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]perspectives, you might hear something different. Have a listen. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SHACKNAI: I cut her down, I had her in one harm and cut with the other. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: OK, so what are you doing now? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SHACKNAI: If I had to speculate, I would say, it`s probably the sound of me cutting her down and at some point jumping off the table with her. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: So it was a little tricky to hear it, but there`s definitely some of that, the grunting that they played, a little clip. And then said [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]to him on the stand, so what are you doing now? But are they really getting to that aspect of it, or are they getting more to the -- all the [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]forensics of it. Are they drilling him on all of the forensics of it? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]HIMMEL: It`s a little of both, because, right, we have talked about it last week, that there`s no DNA. They have already done the DNA expert. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]There is no DNA of Adam Shacknai on Rebecca, in the room, anywhere in this. So you go, OK. Well then he must not have been there. But you go, hold [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]on. There is no DNA when he says, he says by his own admission, he is cutting the rope down. He is performing CPR. I mean, anybody, you do that [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]and there would be DNA all over the place especially when you ran in and see a body hanging there. So that certainly been a focal point as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]And then those knots that you talked about, those nautical knots, that was a big, big - I mean, they spent a couple hours on that yesterday, going [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]over his time, Keith Greer, the Zahau attorney as well as the Shacknai attorney. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: And again, to remind our viewers, the knots are critical here, because Adam Shacknai`s profession is tug boat pilot. Some say captain. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]He says pilot. And he is the head of the tug boat and one would think you would know a lot about nautical knots if you work on a tug boat. And he`s [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]the head of the tug boat and one would think you would know a lot about nautical knots if you work on a tug boat. And he testified about how much [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]difficulty he had getting his hands under the ropes to get a pulse. And that he may have actually loosened the ropes when he did it. This after [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]saying that he was unaware of any of those specialized nautical knots that the family alleges that only a tug boat captain or somebody with that kind [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]of knowledge would know how to tie. Here he is. Listen to him. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][19:10:27] UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You tried to put your hands in, but the ropes were so tight, you couldn`t easily get your hands in to test her [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]pulse, correct? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SHACKNAI: That is correct. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]UNIDENTIFIED MALE: So then you loosened the ropes around her wrists? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SHACKNAI: I didn`t really loosen the ropes, I just tried to sort of pry under them at the time, talking to the police. That is what I had. That [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]was my best description at the time. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: So, Miles, it`s critical, as well, to know what his behavior was after allegedly discovering the body. He went to the police station. He [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]gave an interview. He gave his fingerprints and had no lawyer. Was he able to really sort of hammer that down in front of the jury? Or were they [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]able to poke holes in his of his behavior after the fact? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]HIMMEL: He has been pretty transparent in saying, hey, listen, I haven`t done anything wrong. I was with everybody, I went there, I answered all [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]the questions, I immediately called 911. So, like I say, he was pretty well rehearsed. I just want to go back to the knots there, Ashleigh, you [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]know. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That was a very interesting point, yesterday. Because he said, he even said that he tried to loosen them, because they were tight knots. And when [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]they had that FBI person come in and show, hey, look it, this is how Rebecca could have tied herself and then bound herself behind her back, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]they were very loose. And she did it, but they were loose knots and said, hey, look it, you can make them loose like this. And so, he go, well, if [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]they are tight like that, you couldn`t do that. You couldn`t put them behind the back. They would have to be loose, because they would be behind [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]your back. So that was a very interesting point. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: Yes, I`m still not 100 percent sure she did this to herself. I`m not 100 percent sure Adam did it, either. I don`t know how much anyone [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]has ever pointing to anyone else. But given that this is a wrongful death suit against Adam and others, I`m sure we`re not going to hear much about [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]any other potential suspects. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]But let me do this, if I can. Stand by, if you will, Miles. I want to bring in Rebecca Zahau`s sister, Mary. Mary Zahau-Loehner joins me now. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Mary, thanks so much for being here. I know this cannot be easy to not only go through day after day of the civil trial, but then to go on [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]television and talk about this case. I want to ask you if you -- if you can, how did you feel about that testimony, Adam`s testimony on the stand. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]MARY ZAHAU-LEOHNER, REBECA ZAHAU`S SISTER: It was very frustrating for me sitting there, knowing that there are lies that they are telling on the [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]stand and I can`t object and I can`t interfere and say what I have seen and what I have heard. It is pretty obvious that he is detached, cold, and [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]calculated. They have rehearsed the answers that they have said for days. It`s pretty clear. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: So can I ask you a little bit about the possibility that maybe it was someone else. If it wasn`t suicide, and I know your family has said [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]she was just not in that state of mind and that she was not the kind of person that Rebecca was. What about the possibility of someone else? Has [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]that ever crossed your investigator`s radar? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]ZAHAU-LEOHNER: No. Because in the universe of people, only Rebecca Zahau and Adam Shacknai was in that house. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: But the unusual part of that is that Adam`s DNA, Adam`s footprints are nowhere near that room that included the balcony, where your [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]sister was found hanging. So if his DNA wasn`t there, is it as plausible to suggest his missing DNA is as significant as to say another missing [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]perpetrator`s missing DNA? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]ZAHAU-LEOHNER: Or it also could indicate that he wiped down the scene and he wore gloves? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BANFIELD: So then, the other question I have, and of course, I have to ask, because it`s a case, it is a civil case, the investigators have said [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]there were notes on your sister`s phone, essentially suggesting she was upset about her boyfriend`s older children, that they disrespected her, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]that she was hated by his ex-wives, that she was unhappy because of these things. That she wasn`t sleeping a lot for the first time in her life, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]that her mind was racing, and that quote "no amount of money was worth what I`m going through." [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Were any of these kinds of notes a possible impetus for her to potentially take her own life? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]ZAHAU-LEOHNER: Absolutely not. First of all, nobody knows when those notes were written. It`s estimated that it was probably written several [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]months, if not more, like six months or earlier than July 13th. And the other thing that I want everybody to know is that my sister writes down -- [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]that`s her coping mechanism. She writes down a journal. She writes down her thoughts and her feelings. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Never in her history or in her past is there any indication of self-harm. The sheriff`s department did not even bother right to look into her past or [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]trying to find out if she had seen a therapist or if she has talked to anybody. And if she did, what was she telling these people? They did not [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]even try to find out who she really was. They wanted to look at this two piece of journal entries and said, there you go. She committed suicide. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][19:15:46] BANFIELD: Well, listen, Mary, I know that this is difficult. And I appreciate you speaking to us in such a candid manner, when you are [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]going through such a family tragedy. I`m very thankful to you. And I`m going to continue looking at this case. I`ll be fascinated to see the [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]outcome. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My great appreciation to you and also to Miles Himmel. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I do want to say the family of Rebecca Zahau has established a page to help out with the expenses of filing this civil case. And if you [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]would like to contribute, you can go to justice for Rebecca Zahau.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1803/20/ptab.01.html
[/FONT]

Sadly, I do not believe the right person is on trial. I also wish this was a criminal trial, not a wrongful death case. The LE community failed Rebecca and I think it is a travesty.

That being said, if I were on THIS jury, I would have to vote NOT Guilty. Adam being the one to find Rebecca and staying in the guest house is not enough for me. I do not think Adam had any motive to kill Rebecca.

I must say I agree. I am so sad because I believe she was murdered but I don’t see the evidence to convict AS. I would have to let him off. I don’t think the family is going to get the relief they want.

Hahaha! Ooopps! I took you literally there. :-)

Whoop! I’m a Brit too so I got it! I tend to use ‘blooming’ instead of ‘bloody’ haha!

But, yes...that table is a stumbling block in AS testimony. I will explain when I post this tonight....

Very interesting questions and answers from Tricia's latest interview with Mr. Greer https://soundcloud.com/tricia-arrington-griffith/keith-greer-32018:

Tricia: Can the jury come back and say 'Yes, it was murder, but we don't think Adam did it, or we don't have enough evidence'? Can they come back with that sort of verdict? Or is it all or nothing?

Mr. Greer: You know, a lot of people are asking that question, and we don't know the answer to that yet. The judge did state that she would entertain an interrogatory for the jury on whether or not Rebecca Zahau committed suicide. Then the second question would be, if she didn't commit suicide, did Adam Shacknai murder her. So that will be determined within the next week or so, when we decide which way to go. We really haven't made a decision on whether ... you know, there are pluses and minuses to that, and we'll be making that decision in the next week.

Tricia: What are the pluses and minuses?

Mr. Greer: Well, I think the jury ... I think most people are going to think it's murder, and that the sheriff's department should have at least kept this investigation open, certainly not have declared it a suicide. And so to give a jury that option ... I think they want to help ... I think anybody looking at this would want to help the Zahau family. And if you say, okay, did she commit suicide and they say 'no,' they may at that point think they have helped ... that it should be looked at more, and then let somebody get off the hook who we feel, and we feel the evidence shows, actually did it.

I think juries tend to want to feel good about what they do, and I think with the evidence that's been presented, they will feel good about wanting to help the Zahau family ... you know, Rebecca didn't get a proper investigation, and she didn't commit suicide ... but then going and saying somebody else did it ... you know, when you go to accuse somebody of this - that's harder for human beings. It's harder to be judgmental. When you point a finger and say, 'You did this,' that's more of an awkward feeling than the good feeling of trying to help. And so, you know, I don't know which way is best. We'll be talking to the family, and again, if the evidence is strong enough, then they'll say both. So, we'll see.

Tricia: You need 9 out of 12 to win the civil case, right?

Mr. Greer: For there to be a valid verdict, 9 out of 12 people on the jury have to agree, and they have to agree by a preponderance of the evidence, meaning, it's more likely than not, meaning a greater than 50% chance that what we're saying is true. Does more evidence weigh in favor of our allegations, or does more evidence weigh against it.

Tricia: Do you feel as confident now that you'll get those 9 out of 12 jurors, or is it maybe looking like it is murder but maybe they won't find Adam guilty if they're able to make that decision?

Mr. Greer: You know, I feel the same, because the critical factor here, which we stated in our open, which we've stated in all our pleadings, and all the interviews I've had, is that whoever killed Rebecca left a message. Whether it was suicide or murder, the person left a message: She saved him can you save her. And even Detective Tsuida, who's the lead detective for the sheriff's department said on the stand, they were tossing around meanings of that saying and they ... the one they thought was most likely, uh, the proper interpretation was 'she saved him' was Rebecca saved Max, because everyone in the family felt at that time that Rebecca being there and giving Max CPR saved his life. Max was still in a tough spot, but at least he had a chance, because Rebecca was there and saved his life.

So if you use that as a characteristic of the culprit, that they were aware - whoever did this was aware that Rebecca had saved Max, that narrows the universe of people that could've done this down to a very small group because this wasn't in the press yet. It didn't get in to the press until Rebecca's hanging.

And so it really was close family members, first responders, and health care providers at the hospital where Max was. And we don't have any evidence that the first responders, you know, the fire department, the ambulance drivers, that they had anything to do with Rebecca's hanging. We don't have any evidence that the health care providers at the hospital had anything to do with it.

And then we narrow it down to looking at the family and we know that Jonah and Dina, the mother and father of the little boy, were at the hospital - we have them on videotape, so they were at the hospital. The other family and friends had left town that were there supporting the family, they'd flown out earlier that day, and so that really leaves Adam, and Rebecca as the two with that knowledge, so that makes it now either suicide or murder - suicide by Rebecca or murder by Adam - and I think the evidence is very powerful that Rebecca didn't commit suicide. So, my feelings haven't changed.

Tricia: So if they decide it's murder, they have no other choice but Adam Shacknai.

Mr. Greer: Well, there's no evidence of anybody. [My note: This sounded a little odd to me at first, but I get what he's saying here - there's no evidence, period, due to a couple of factors, but AS was the only other one there with knowledge of the message.]

Mr. Greer also said he's planning to give his closing argument a week from today.

I think it's interesting that Judge Bacal may entertain 'splitting the baby,' so to speak (she was killed, but perhaps not by AS).

I also think it's interesting that the message on the door is pivotal to Greer's case. I'm not sure how I missed that. I don't know that I entirely agree, but I think it's interesting and more food for thought (at least for me!).

"SHACKNAI: I cut her down, I had her in one harm and cut with the other.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: OK, so what are you doing now?

SHACKNAI: If I had to speculate, I would say, it`s probably the sound of me cutting her down and at some point jumping off the table with her. "

Adam was on the table holding Rebecca with one hand & cutting her down with the other hand. Adam then jumped off the table with the broken leg with Rebecca to the ground.

Does anyone else question Adam's version of this.

You're right it is food for thought Imp. It's not just a random act - the killer told us why Rebecca was killed.

I do get the feeling this was meant to look like a murder (that's why she was left until rigor had set in) and it was converted to see if it would pass as a suicide much later.

I'll bet he wished afterwards that the message wasn't there and I also wonder if attempts were made to try and scrub the message off but it wouldn't come off. The first S is quite patchy but that could also be down to using a different brush stroke at first.

I think possibly the paint brush was swiped against her hand after she was dead and wrists already bound to make it appear she had done it, or she touched it when she was feeling around the floor behind her back to find the knife.

SHACKNAI: If I had to speculate, I would say, it`s probably the sound of me cutting her down and at some point jumping off the table with her. "

Adam was on the table holding Rebecca with one hand & cutting her down with the other hand. Adam then jumped off the table with the broken leg with Rebecca to the ground.

Yes, very questionable. In this transcript, it appears both of his hands were occupied. Then how could he be holding the phone talking to the 911 operator at the same time?

I perhaps missed this in the earlier trial days, but has Greer yet brought up the long delay in having the medical examiner examine Rebecca's body and the possible degradation of the evidence - as well as never having tented her body at the scene? Seems this all plays into a scenario of lack of respect for her and careless control over evidence. It is still the single item that I cannot reconcile any law enforcement agency would carry out so poorly.

Agree 100%. They should have immediately erected a tent above her to conceal the body and protect it from the elements, and even provided some type of portable a/c once they knew the coroner couldn't arrive quickly.

Lezah-- Please know I find your theory a spot on possibility, and offer the following for your consideration:

1) Guest house was never considered a crime scene, and any evidence never collected.

2) RZ likely strangled in guest house.

3) More likely witnessed screams audible to/from the guest house struggle.

4) If ever hanging, RZ was raised from the ground and not over balcony.

5) The (broken) table more likely required to raise RZ than to cut her down.

6) AS could reach RZ from balcony, and didn't need table

7) AS cutting doesn't fit in recorded 911 call.

8) Just like the utterance about girl hung at guest house, AS slips again in polygraph with the order he called 911!

Again-- that bloody table is a real thorn in my side. A distraction?

All these are great points....I’m with you on everything....the ‘pulling up’ in the storage room is certainly a highly possible fit IMO too...as I still can’t get that balcony drop into her death.

Too many aspects have to be made ‘to fit’ the scenario for me.

Other than those we have both covered...

- The fact no one other than Adam ever ‘saw her hanging there’ - we only have his word for it.

The rope measurements shown in on Monday at trial demonstrated it would be totally unnecessary to use the table to cut her down.

It would be like using a stepladder to reach your kitchen countertop.

Greer showed that RZ body could be ( very) easily reached from the ground. ( as best he could, as the manequin height demo was denied by the judge as prejudicial) - I hope the jury got this. Many in the gallery missed it as the rope evidence was a bit complicated.

The footprints on the balcony are more consistent with someone simply standing and looking over the balcony ( Have you ever leaned over a balcony standing on one foot to speak or look at something, especially if the floor is cold or wet? ( as it would be in the evening due to temp drop and condensation)

The prints are more consistent IMO with that scenario than a struggle.

Imagine - Someone calling from below, she hears noise, opens doors, steps out, feet in V shape, floor is cold and wet, hops on right ball foot towards rail, holds rail while leaning on the rail looking or speaking to whatever/ whoever is below, finishes, turns and jumps across balcony onto carpet back in room - to avoid cold wet floor.

( it’s a bit sad ;) but I actually tried this with the measurements at home. It was easily done. Not only easy, it felt very natural)

Also, if your feet are tied together and you want to get from one place to another, how do you do it?...I think you would naturally ‘shuffle’. You don’t naturally ‘leap’ with two feet - so as not to leave footprints *as the defence attorney did - actually demonstrating how daft and awkward it was* why would you leap?

The table has three legs, and has had three legs for some time ( there was testimony to this from a friend I recall) It would be highly unlikely to be stable enough to hold AS and RZ weight during a complicated, weight shifting, unstable center of gravity, cut down operation.

The table was upright at the crimescene, so it stayed upright even when he leapt off, holding a dead weight in an awkward position?

AS testified he placed RZ on the grass without difficulty and got down off the table without difficulty. (It is three feet high with only three legs, and remained upright)

There is no dirt or staining on the table top visible from the photographs ( was this testified to or in evidence? ) I have never seen it...

There is no DNA or fingerprints on the rope cutting knife / body at waist where she RZ was allegedly held tightly during the ‘cutting down’.

Inconsistencies - AS said he called 911 after he cut her down, but his recorded test LD interview he says he cut her down cut down....”if not before” he called.

The inconsistency with the distance of the bed...

This is all in addition to the physical autopsy evidence re no long drop hanging injuries, and those you mentioned too...

I can’t get that balcony into the situation other than staging...

He doesn't strike me as strong enough to do all of that. To me, it would be more plausible if he said that he cut her down and tried to hold her but couldn't. Doesn't seem possible for him to be o that little table (that, by the way, doesn't look very stable or even strong to hold one adult, let alone, two adults), having enough strenght to cut the rope (as other person here said, seems to be one of those types of ropes that are very hard and not bendable) WHILE holding her, an adult woman, with ONE arm. Wouldn't she come down very quick as he cut the rope? She was, sadly, dead at that point so, imagine how hard is it to hold a death body weight. I know people have said that she was tiny and skinny but, how light could she be and how strong could he be? His version doesn't seem possible to me.

Post # 193 by Imp referred to her as 72 yrs old.

Yep. There are several references to her being 72, including in the media video upthread with Caitlin Rother. They even discuss the age difference as odd.

BBM. To my knowledge, AS admitted to masturbating to *advertiser censored* on his phone. There was other information about Asian bondage *advertiser censored* having been viewed on a computer(s) at Spreckels. It's a small point of difference, in the big scheme of things (and for the record, changes nothing as far as I'm concerned), but it's probably a distinction we should keep in mind.

Yes, thank you for the correction.

Asian bondage *advertiser censored* on RZ’s computer in the house, implied to be on a airline account, so there are some questions like whether AS is lying about not coming into the house or could he have accessed the account remotely?

Upstream it was posted that it was R & J who talked to AS about coming to Coronado.

I wonder who took care of getting AS’s airline ticket paid and who possibly shared their account so the guest could access boarding pass & all? Just speculating

The death of Rebecca Zahau at the Spreckels mansion got even more bizarre Saturday, amid reports that investigators found Asian *advertiser censored* and bondage anime on a computer at the home.

In a phone interview with News 8, Bremner later confirmed that more than a dozen searches of sexual content – using terms like "raped, sexy Asian girls, and bondage anime" – were accessed on a computer the day before Zahau's death.

"It's important to the investigation because there is an image from anime, and its called bond anime and it shows an Asian women bound; at least her hands are bound behind her back," said the Seattle-based attorney.

Bremner said it was not Zahau who looked at the online content and suggested the computer may have been accessed by someone using an airline account.

Bremner said Adam Shacknai claimed during a lie detector examination that he was viewing *advertiser censored* on his iPhone just before he walked out of the mansion guest house and found Zahau hanging.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/16083634/zahau-attorney-bondage-*advertiser censored*-found-on-coronado-mansion-computer

http://www.760kfmb.com/story/161508...coronados-spreckels-mansion?clienttype=mobile

AUDIO: Coronado mansion 911 call:
(Warning: graphic content)
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/adam_911.mp3

CORONADO, Calif. (CBS 8) - A dramatic 911 call that reported a hanging death at Coronado's Spreckels mansion has been released to News 8. Most of the four and a half minute audio recording has never been heard publicly.

The call was placed to Coronado police dispatch by Adam Shacknai, the brother of the mansion owner, Jonah Shacknai.

Adam Shacknai, 48, had flown to San Diego and was staying in the mansion's guest house.

Adam's nephew, Max Shacknai, 6, was hospitalized at the time, after taking a severe fall down the staircase at the mansion. The boy would later die from his injuries.

Adam called 911 on his cell phone at 6:45 a.m. on July 13 to report finding his brother's girlfriend, Rebecca Zahau, 32, hanging from a courtyard balcony.

DISPATCHER: 911 emergency. What are you reporting?

ADAM SHACKNAI: Yeah, I got a girl hung herself in the guest house of ah... it's on Ocean Blvd. across from the hotel; the same place that you came and got the kid yesterday.

DISPATCHER: Okay, sir, what is the address?

ADAM SHACKNAI: I'm not sure, ah, I'm not sure. Let me call you back.

DISPATCHER: Okay, sir, is she still alive?

ADAM SHACKNAI: I don't know.

During the 911 call, Adam Shacknai can be heard hyperventilating while apparently moving a wooden table into a position underneath the naked, bound and gagged body of Rebecca Zahau.

At one point, it sounds as if one of the wooden legs of the table breaks off and falls to the ground, while Adam scrambles to cut down Zahau's corpse.

DISPATCHER: Sir, are you there?

ADAM SHACKNAI: Are you alive? I'm doing CPR right now.

The Memphis resident was apparently unsure of the mansion's exact address when asked for the location by the Coronado dispatcher.

DISPATCHER: Sir, I've checked all of the records yesterday. I can't find anything on Ocean Blvd. Can you tell me what the address is?

ADAM SHACKNAI: I'm looking.

Adam Shacknai can be heard running to the front of the house to check the street number of the mansion.

ADAM SHACKNAI: 1043 Ocean Blvd.

DISPATCHER: 1043 Ocean Blvd. Okay, is she still alive?

ADAM SHACKNAI: I don't think so.

After a few minutes, the call is transferred from Coronado police dispatch to Heartland Fire Communications Authority, which contracts with the City of Coronado Fire Department and other agencies to dispatch firefighters and paramedics for medical emergency calls.

A Heartland dispatcher then takes over the call:

DISPATCHER: Okay, what's wrong?

ADAM SHACKNAI: She hung herself, man, I just woke up.

DISPATCHER: Okay, is this a house?

ADAM SHACKNAI: It's a house.

DISPATCHER: Okay, how old is she?

ADAM SHACKNAI: I'd say about 30.

DISPATCHER: Thirty? Okay, when was the last time you saw her?

ADAM SHACKNAI: Last night.

DISPATCHER: Okay, is she beyond help?

ADAM SHACKNAI: (Unintelligible) I'm doing... I'm compressing her chest right now.

DISPATCHER: And you're right there with her? Did you cut her down?

ADAM SHACKNAI: Yes, I did.

DISPATCHER: Okay, just stay with me.

The Coronado dispatch recording ends after 4 minutes 46 seconds, even though the 911 call continues with Heartland dispatchers. That final portion of the 911 audio was recorded by Heartland but has not been released.

Heartland has denied several News 8 requests to release the audio under the California Public Records Act, claiming the audio is exempt from disclosure as a law enforcement investigatory record.

The first portion of the 911 call – the one recorded by Coronado police dispatch and aired by News 8 – was apparently released by mistake.

Coronado police gave a copy of the recording to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff's department included a copy of the 911 audio when it handed over case files to attorneys representing the family of Rebecca Zahau.

Portions of the 911 audio were then obtained by the Dr. Phil Show, CNN Headline News and News 8.

The recording obtained by News 8 includes an eight-second gap in the audio at approximately 1:42 into the recording. It remains unclear whether that gap in the audio was the result of a dubbing error or an intentional redaction of content.

A Coronado Police commander said the audio gap does not exist on the original recording. A Sheriff's department spokesperson did not respond to a News 8 email asking why there is an eight-second gap in the audio. A Zahau family attorney told News 8 the audio gap may have been the result of a technical error during the dubbing process.

(News 8 has redacted Adam Shacknai's cell phone number in the 911 audio posted on this page).

Meanwhile, a meeting between Sheriff Bill Gore and two Zahau family attorneys scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 30 had been postponed until next month.

The family wants Sheriff Gore to reopen the investigation into Zahau's death, which has been ruled a suicide. Zahau family attorneys believe they have uncovered new evidence in the case that indicates Rebecca Zahau was murdered.

**********************************************************************************************************************

BBM for emphasis. In the audio, it sounds like the detached leg from (broken) table is bouncing along the walkway! Why so much effort with table that is not necessary for AS to cut RZ down? This is why I do not believe AS cut anybody down during this 911 call, and that broken table a red herring.

Besides the freudian slips in 911 & polygraph, take note of the irrelevant commentary by AS in an EMERGENCY CALL that is to seek aid for victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Badge 1187