Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, organ procurement never just approaches ANY family. Every hospital I've ever worked in has policies that physicians must document in the notes that they have had a conversation with family about contacting organ procurement to come talk with them, and get the permission of the family BEFORE contacting organ procurement at all.

And to be clear, the first person who contacts the family is not from UNOS, but is a designated social worker employed by the hospital. That individual has nothing to do with obtaining consents or doing the actual donation paperwork process. That person is only to gain formal permission from to contact UNOS, or not.

Here's 2 examples of hospital policy and procedures:

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/633OrganandTissueDonation.pdf

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/ccf/media/files/Bioethics/Organ_procurement_policy.pdf

Thank you, K_Z, for always helping me to understand the medical aspects of this terrible case. I can't even bring myself to click your links this time, though. It's just too horrible to even think about.

I would have been beyond consolation, and out of my mind with grief.
Jonah's testimony, especially, reminds me how awful this whole thing has been, for all concerned, and how much has been lost.

Some additional details I picked up on from Jonah's testimony today. (from memory-- forgive me for any small errors. The video should be up on the web soon, I expect.)

Max was at Coronado Sharp a little longer than I thought. They actually did the first CT scan there, once they got a heart rhythm back and established an airway. Jonah's comments about his time at Coronado Sharp sound like he knew even then it was an exceptionally grave situation.

A trauma transport team came from Rady to transport Max from Coronado Sharp, which I suspected, but wasn't sure about (the original EMS crew could have filed 2 separate run reports if they did the transport-- we only had the run report up to Coronado Sharp arrival from Dina's website).

Max was not a direct PICU admit at Rady, but went to Rady ED first. Jonah described riding in a police squad car to get to Rady, and being "kicked out" of ED when they were evaluating and stabilizing Max at Rady before being transferred to PICU. Jonah's testimony made it clear that he knew Max's condition was exceptionally grave pretty much right from the ED admission at Coronado Sharp.

Rebecca went to the ED at Coronado Sharp. Jonah sent her back to the mansion partly because they were trying to reach Dina to come to Rady, and Jonah knew it would be a bad situation to have Dina and Rebecca together at this early point in the situation with Max. (Paraphrasing from memory.)

Dina arrived around 5 pm at Rady the day of Max's accident. Jonah had a physician friend at Rady who gave him a ride back to Coronado that evening so he could shower and change clothes.

When Adam contacted Jonah about Rebecca's death, Adam first texted Jonah to call him. Jonah stepped out of Max's ICU room to make the call. Adam asked if he was sitting down, then told Jonah Rebecca was dead and had taken her life. Jonah was stunned/ shocked. A police officer got on the phone (Adam's phone?) and told Jonah not to come to the mansion, that he wouldn't be allowed inside because of the police investigation. Jonah said (IIRC) he isn't sure exactly who told him Rebecca was hanged as method of death.

Some additional details I picked up on from Jonah's testimony today. (from memory-- forgive me for any small errors. The video should be up on the web soon, I expect.)

Thanks for the summary. It's really helpful. Even the testimony that is streamed, I can't watch because of work. I may or may not be able to watch pieces of what's posted after the fact. Recaps are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...preckels-Mansion-Suicide-Death-477656813.html

Some video at this link. Interesting to hear Jonah tell the story of the shoplifting situation. He says she was trying on jewelry when she got a call about her brother in Germany being arrested, and ran out of the store wearing the jewelry because she was upset-- not realizing she still had it on.

So that explains that situation, IMO. That explanation seems credible, especially since she was sentenced, IIRC, to some kind of diversion program, with the charges dropped at the end.

I can't watch JS. Does anyone have any opinions on whether he was able to put a dent in the plaintiff's evidence of murder or their contention that AS is the perp? Other than character-type stuff, I mean.
In my opinion Jonah's testimony did nothing to harm the plaintiff's case. I think if anything it may have harmed the defense, because it highlighted how relatively coarse Adam is. IMO.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...preckels-Mansion-Suicide-Death-477656813.html

Some video at this link. Interesting to hear Jonah tell the story of the shoplifting situation. He says she was trying on jewelry when she got a call about her brother in Germany being arrested, and ran out of the store wearing the jewelry because she was upset-- not realizing she still had it on.

So that explains that situation, IMO. That explanation seems credible, especially since she was sentenced, IIRC, to some kind of diversion program, with the charges dropped at the end.

I can't believe some Rebecca haters had vociferously claimed for years that she was an "obsessive compulsive shoplifter" when it was simply an isolated incident which could have happened to anyone in a store who suddenly got shocking news about a family member and ran out of store with items. Understandable and not at all a sign of some psychopathology on Rebecca's part.

I find it ridiculous that Jonah tried to paint Rebecca as suicidal because she didn't seem to believe in organized religion. LOL

You don't have to regularly attend a place of worship to be "religious" or spiritual nor do you need to regularly worship a god to not believe in suicide.

It was also absurd when Jonah brought up Rebecca's ex NN about how he was abusive with Rebecca in order to try to paint him as a potential killer of Rebecca. Why would Neil paint on bedroom door, "SHE SAVED HIM CAN YOU SAVE HER"? particularly when he was NOWHERE near Coronado or San Diego at the time. Get outta here.

We all know who assaulted and murdered Rebecca and it wasn't Rebecca herself or NN.

Thanks for this post. It's total victim bashing to go into this crap which has NOTHING to do with anything. Are you kidding me--courts don't even allow prior crimes to be mentioned when someone is on trial for a violent and similar offense, because it's prejudicial; but we're talking about whether Rebecca had affairs? How about Jonah? Did he ever have an affair? What about actions against his company and how that speaks to his honesty and character? If this kind of crap is being allowed in front of the jury (I haven't heard caught up on reports about today & only have what little I see on the news in terms of other testimony like her ex-husband), I can't understand why it's acceptable.

Nod. Even the judge kept overruling Jonah's characterization of Rebecca's faith.

Adam's lawyer though mentioned some CA code which allows some sort of speculation by a significant other about their lover's religion.

In my opinion Jonah's testimony did nothing to harm the plaintiff's case. I think if anything it may have harmed the defense, because it highlighted how relatively coarse Adam is. IMO.

IMO, Jonah is a biased witness for the prosecution, most evidently because he's the brother of Adam, the accused defendant in the case, and also he's forking over money/influence for Adam's trial.

I didn't feel any real emotion from Jonah. He seemed muted, almost stoic. But I only watched Webb's presentation of jonah. I didn't see Greer's cross.

AND, once again, in my opinion, because Jonah said...Jonah’s word, again.

I believe jurors know that what Jonah says is only his own prejudiced opinions about his deceased ex, and that what he says now are things he believes will put his brother Adam, the accused in a positive light.

I find his words next to meaningless in terms of understanding Rebecca's frame of mind at time of her murder.

Virtually everything he said was about Rebecca's distant past and scenarios in and around Rebecca but nothing directly about her state of mind during his alleged suicide trigger voicemail to her. Unless I missed that part, or it's in a video I didn't watch.

Only video I saw was Webb's direct examination of Jonah.

Very interesting about the possibility of a split verdict. To be honest I am glad that is a possibility because that is exactly how I would vote. Yes to murder, no to Adam's guilt.

IF that happens it could potentially put enough pressure on LE to re-open the investigation. That would be a victory imo.

I have a question for Mr. Greer. I'd like to know why he rules out a murder for hire? He seems to have an insistence that since Adam was supposedly the only other person at the house he must be the killer. I don't get that logic. The doors were left open. What's to stop an outside killer(s) from coming in, hired by someone who wants to maintain an air tight alibi?

Something that is significant to me is the opinion of Dina Shacknai. She lost her only son. She has been immersed in this on the most deepest personal level. She hired professionals who concluded herboy could not have gone over that banister on his own. These were independent professionals. It probably cost her thousands of dollars. She begged for the investigation into her son's death to be re-opened. LE wouldn't do it.

Dina thinks Rebecca was murdered, and it's linked to Max's death. I agree with her. However, she doesn't believe it was Adam. WHO ELSE COULD IT BE? Because Dina knows full well it was Adam in the guest house that night. So if Dina is considering a different killer other than Adam, why can't Mr. Greer or LE?

Killers often take elaborate steps to cover their crimes and distance themselves from the crime scene. I don't see why that was ruled out in this case?

Has a bona fide attorney answered the question of what would happen if verdict is split? <modsnip>

Max was at Coronado Sharp a little longer than I thought. They actually did the first CT scan there, once they got a heart rhythm back and established an airway. Jonah's comments about his time at Coronado Sharp sound like he knew even then it was an exceptionally grave situation.

A trauma transport team came from Rady to transport Max from Coronado Sharp, which I suspected, but wasn't sure about (the original EMS crew could have filed 2 separate run reports if they did the transport-- we only had the run report up to Coronado Sharp arrival from Dina's website).

Max was not a direct PICU admit at Rady, but went to Rady ED first. Jonah described riding in a police squad car to get to Rady, and being "kicked out" of ED when they were evaluating and stabilizing Max at Rady before being transferred to PICU. Jonah's testimony made it clear that he knew Max's condition was exceptionally grave pretty much right from the ED admission at Coronado Sharp.

Rebecca went to the ED at Coronado Sharp. Jonah sent her back to the mansion partly because they were trying to reach Dina to come to Rady, and Jonah knew it would be a bad situation to have Dina and Rebecca together at this early point in the situation with Max. (Paraphrasing from memory.)

Dina arrived around 5 pm at Rady the day of Max's accident. Jonah had a physician friend at Rady who gave him a ride back to Coronado that evening so he could shower and change clothes.

When Adam contacted Jonah about Rebecca's death, Adam first texted Jonah to call him. Jonah stepped out of Max's ICU room to make the call. Adam asked if he was sitting down, then told Jonah Rebecca was dead and had taken her life. Jonah was stunned/ shocked. A police officer got on the phone (Adam's phone?) and told Jonah not to come to the mansion, that he wouldn't be allowed inside because of the police investigation. Jonah said (IIRC) he isn't sure exactly who told him Rebecca was hanged as method of death.

I find it preposterous the Jonah claims he does not recall who told him Rebecca was hanged as method of death.

That would be the FIRST thing a bf or gf would ask about their lover if someone said their lover was dead. How did s/he die? And who did it?

I find it preposterous the Jonah claims he does not recall who told him Rebecca was hanged as method of death.

That would be the FIRST thing a bf or gf would ask about their lover if someone said their lover was dead. How did s/he die? And who did it?

Totally agree. Even if I were told only that my lover had taken his own life (as Adam claims, IIRC, was what he told Jonah), my first question would be how?

Just like when you hear of anyone's unexpected death. The first question is always, what did they die of?

O.M.G.

We've been hearing about Rebecca-the-jewelry-thief for 7 years. :mad:

Good to know. Thank you so much!

If I remember correctly, this unfortunate incident occurred years prior to JS and RZ meeting. I give JS credit for two things here: testifying he believed RZ's account , and essentially offering in court that RZ could never ever do right by DS (eluding to an "ex-wife" branding RZ a shoplifter).

If I remember correctly, this unfortunate incident occurred years prior to JS and RZ meeting. I give JS credit for two things here: testifying he believed RZ's account , and essentially acknowledging in court that RZ could never, ever do right by DS (eluding to an "ex-wife" branding RZ a shoplifter).

How refreshing to hear a reasonable account about the shoplifting incident after we witnessed YEARS of disgusting trolling of Rebecca's spirit by an LHK member. BTW, that person is still trolling Rebecca's spirit on Twitter and attempted to do it on her page. Appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova