Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think this is Sean Elder or Dina's opinion, or did the 911 call pick up Rebecca saying "Don't open that door"? I think the jurors already heard Xena's 911 call, so curious if Rebecca is heard on there saying what (Dina via the article) claimed?

I can't shake the feeling that we don't know everything about Max's accident that day. I do not believe Rebecca killed him or had anything to do with it, but it just seems like something is missing.

KZ, and anyone else interested, I ended up finding the article that mentions the doctor who initially thought Max had been suffocated.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shacknai-Boy-May-Have-Suffocated-Doctor-130367943.html

BBM. Hopefully, after this case is concluded, the criminal case for Rebecca's murder will be re-opened. If that happens (and yes, a big "if", then quite a lot of the circumstances of Max's death *could* be brought in, including relevant portions of his medical records, etc. But there would be motion after motion after motion pushing to keep his records out, IMO. But if the criminal case were to be reopened, that is the only way I can think of that anyone could get Dr. Brad Peterson to be deposed, or on the stand to testify. There was much discussion of BP and his comment in old threads.

Unless Dina or Jonah want to file more wrongful death civil suits for Max's death against someone (which I highly doubt), I don't think that there is any possibility at this point in time that a criminal investigation into Max's death would be opened.

There are a lot of things we already know from Dr. Judy Melinek, and other sources, that call into question this "suffocation" comment by BP.

I just don't think it's been considered relevant to Rebecca's death in the civil suit, or it would have been explored more by now, with supporting testimony and records.

I recall seeing a video of family event which IMO showed real affection between Max and Uncle Adam. Perhaps AS came to San Diego in support of Max and DS -- given the new info. Wow, did AS murder for DS? I find it common for estranged siblings to develop relationships with the in-law mother/father of niece/nephew to enable a relationship. For all we know, perhaps AS unable to bond with JS first wife/children and AS grateful to DS for including him and promoting his relationship with Max. We already know DS was very motivated to keep any Shacknai family on "her side."

BBM. Do you have a link or source for this? I don't recall seeing that video in any public records. I'm interested.

Hi Pi2016 :wave: I personally do not put too much stock in articles written by friends of the key players in this case. The author is Sean Elder.

Yes, I totally agree. This author, along with author Craig Outhier have penned several articles for local interest magazines that are what I would characterize as "image rehabilitation", or "local personality focus" pieces. Both authors are related to a previous coworker of Dina. They are not neutral, objective, or unbiased. But they are interesting!

"Jonah Shacknai and Rebecca had already deteriorated by the time she was murdered to the point where she was considering leaving him and he was already dating the woman he would eventually marry."

Totally new news.

Maybe someone with a less biased opinion than myself can explain to me if the above is correct, why Rebecca would vacation with a cheating boyfriend who is close to getting dumped himself, and his disrespectful older kids, agressive ex-wife down the street and creepy brother in the guest house. Resort hotels are really cheap during the summer months in Phoenix - a staycation sounds alot more appealing than this Coronado vacation.

BBM. Boy, nanwv, you sure do know how to summarize that "blended/ blenderized" family, lol! Doesn't sound very appealing or relaxing.

I don't actually think this is "new" news. There was much discussion in the early years that Rebecca had confided to her sister that the relationship wasn't perfect, and she was considering moving on. Mary had been quoted as saying Rebecca had serious frustrations with the older teens from the first marriage being disrespectful to her, and Jonah not supporting her enough about that.

But then we heard from Howard Luber that Jonah was going to propose to Rebecca, and Jonah was more happy and content than HL had ever seen him.

We do know Rebecca didn't want to have an unplanned pregnancy while she was with Jonah, because she had an IUD in place at autopsy.

mod note:

(1)
The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

(2) Please use initials wherever possible.
(3) When stating something as a fact a link must be provided.

Wow. This sounds like Adam and Dina had good communication and mutual fondness for theatrics and literature . It would make sense then that Dina might have been the one who called Adam to spreckels mansion to help win whatever Dina needed him to do under the pretext of checking up onMax.

I think this breaks the case wide open as
to why Adam who is estranged from Jonah would suddenly appear in Coronado and stayed over at mansion that night with Rebecca...

I have had a very difficult time with the coincidence of the timing of Nina's text & appearance at Spreckles a mere 1/2 hour prior to the overheard scream. I don't know why Greer has decided she's definitively ruled out as having been engaged in some interaction with Rebecca that night--from the podcast, he seems to be saying cell phone records (not explicit with whom she is talking) of her talking while walking, as well as her son (and possibly a minor friend) corroborate her walking back to the place she and Dina shared blocks away. The text message was threatening confrontation, she was at the house, why did she walk around side/back? Was she planning on letting herself in? It was apparently common knowledge that doors were likely to be unlocked. Even assuming she left & went home, as attorney Greer seems to accept, was she in touch with Adam at that point? Clearly, we had a peak of readiness for confrontation & IMMEDIATELY thereafter screams for help come from the house.

If true that Adam had closeness/fondness with Dina, and Nina went to Spreckles in part on behalf of Dina, then perhaps they were in touch with each other. Even if there was no expressed plan to kill, resentment and anger could have been conveyed to Adam. If Adam had a more fond relationship with Dina than Jonah, Nina and/or Dina being in contact with him would make sense. To be clear, I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm just saying the coincidence of the timing does stand out. For all we know, Adam acted alone, but even if so, he could have gotten wind of the growing animosity of the sisters toward Becky in relationship to the incident with Max.

Along with most of you, I'd love to see the details of all the phone records that night.

Am I the only one who is now viewing this forum in a completely different format?

What do you mean different format?

Do you have Tapatalk? Tapatalk makes WS look different. If you are using your iPhone, the mobile version of WS also looks different from desktop version of WS.

Just a reminder that Dr. Wecht is due to testify tomorrow.

A week or so ago I watched the press conference where Mr Greer apologised to Dina and her sister. I recall now I think it was the guy next to him saying something like Jonah had been vague about his reason for calling Rebecca that night, and may have alluded to their relationship being over or him thinking Rebecca may have perceived it as such. There seemed to be a bit of disagreement between him and Greer about that and it wasn't really explained.

More recently, JS comments on his late night "voicemail" to RZ on ABC 20/20 March 2 episode at about 19:25 of video.
http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/episode-guide/2018-03/02-030218-mystery-at-the-mansion

Alrighty fellow posters.

DR was absolutely aware of Max's fatal injuries that very first day. For her to state otherwise is an untruth.

I distinctly remember seeing a screencap/screen capture or whatever its called from her then boyfriend's teen aged daughter saying Max had an horrible accident and was BRAIN DEAD.
The ONLY way the teen aged daughter of DR's boyfriend would know this is she heard it from DR and/or her father.

JS knew it too. His best friend, Dr. Luber flew in to SD and there's NO way he told JS his son would recover. Also I remember Max's teen aged sister, GS, writing how when in the car with her mother (after being picked up at the airport), her father called telling her of Max's devastating injury.

I dare say, the ONLY person who didn't know was Rebecca. Now WHY is that????

Also, now we hear JS was cheating with his now wife on Rebecca during that period??? Please.

I call BS on all this crap.

The lying is in overdrive.

This has become a circus and shame on the liars.

Disgusting.

edited to add:

Also, as to JS cheating with his now wife while being with Rebecca, c'mon, Dr. Luber, JS's best friend, had stated JS had never been as happy and content as he was Rebecca and they were to married.

Where is all this BS we are now reading coming from???
Any guesses anyone???

Perhaps I am just reading the statement wrong but I still do not see where it is noted when it was that DS and NR became aware of JS's new relationship. I can see they clearly (allegedly) became aware at some point he was already dating someone before Rebecca's death but nothing I saw to confirm when it was they found that out.

Regardless, I believe it is a flat out lie that JS was already dating someone at the time of Rebecca's death. I also believe that it is incorrect that he had remarried. I know that's what was said but I do not believe it to be true.

EDIT: OOOOPS, I forgot to hit Reply with Quote. I was replying to In Paradise.

How could he do that though? I mean, aren't jurors by and large anonymous? It would take a lot of bribery within the San Diego court system to obtain demographic information on them from which he could dig up info.

As a San Diegan, I have no confidence in the sheriff's department but much more in the city judicial system.
Both the plaintiff and defense legal teams know who the jurors are.

Perhaps I am just reading the statement wrong but I still do not see where it is noted when it was that DS and NR became aware of JS's new relationship. I can see they clearly (allegedly) became aware at some point he was already dating someone before Rebecca's death but nothing I saw to confirm when it was they found that out.

Regardless, I believe it is a flat out lie that JS was already dating someone at the time of Rebecca's death. I also believe that it is incorrect that he had remarried. I know that's what was said but I do not believe it to be true.

JS is indeed remarried. It was stated as a fact in the recent Town & Country article. I will attach a link to that, as well as another source.

EDIT: OOOOPS, I forgot to hit Reply with Quote. I was replying to In Paradise.

How could he do that though? I mean, aren't jurors by and large anonymous? It would take a lot of bribery within the San Diego court system to obtain demographic information on them from which he could dig up info.

As a San Diegan, I have no confidence in the sheriff's department but much more in the city judicial system.
Both Plaintiff and Defense legal teams review social media, court records, etc of the prospective jurors. It would not be unreasonable to believe that JS knows quite a bit about each and every juror that was seated on this panel, simply by doing his own research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member