Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam has NINE attorneys. NINE! No doubt about who is footing the bill for all of them.

Do you think Jonah really believes this was a suicide, or is he really so callous that he doesn't care that his brother raped and murdered his girlfriend?

I have never believed JS thought this was a suicide but no matter what he thought, I don't think he cared one way or the other. I think Rebecca was disposable to him and it sounds like he was done with her anyways.

Just my opinion

The article in Town & Country:
www.townandcountrymag.com/society/m.../shacknai-deaths-mystery-coronado-california/
UVA Link (which makes reference to parents):
www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-volley/mtt/phillips_lily00/html/

Link to Attorney Father's web site: which states all 4 of his children are grown and married
www.garyphillipsaccidentlaw.com/gary-phillips-accident-attorney/

Thank you very much. The fathers website seems to certainly confrim this. I appreciate you taking the time to share.

I obviously can't say if RZ was actively looking to leave JS at the time of her death but I read that her sister Mary said she was growing tired of the way JS's teenaged children treated her and therefore, she was considering telling JS by the end of summer that she needed some time to herself.

Here's a link to the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...ep/14/citylights2-rebecca-zahau/?amp&page=all

P.S. The article is called "The True Heart of Rebecca Zahau" and its in The San Diego Reader.com in case the link doesn't work 

Snip from article -

Was Shacknai in love with Becky?

Mary hesitates.

“I don’t know. I couldn’t read [them]. I mean, were they affectionate with each other? No, not really. Not in front of us. If I saw them, I probably wouldn’t get that impression. Becky told me that she did love him but that she was disappointed in a lot of ways because he wouldn’t…she was disappointed in his [teenaged] kids, [how] they were allowed to be openly rude to her. Those other two children didn’t want her, period. They resented her. And Jonah would not defend her [against them], stop that. Not really. Not by my impression.”

By this summer, it was coming to a crunch for Rebecca.

“We talked about it; that if the teenaged kids’ behavior doesn’t improve she was considering telling Jonah at the end of this summer that she…needed to have some time to herself.

“I don’t know if she ended up telling him or not.”

Alrighty fellow posters.

DR was absolutely aware of Max's fatal injuries that very first day. For her to state otherwise is an untruth.

I distinctly remember seeing a screencap/screen capture or whatever its called from her then boyfriend's teen aged daughter saying Max had an horrible accident and was BRAIN DEAD.
The ONLY way the teen aged daughter of DR's boyfriend would know this is she heard it from DR and/or her father.

JS knew it too. His best friend, Dr. Luber flew in to SD and there's NO way he told JS his son would recover. Also I remember Max's teen aged sister, GS, writing how when in the car with her mother (after being picked up at the airport), her father called telling her of Max's devastating injury.

I dare say, the ONLY person who didn't know was Rebecca. Now WHY is that????

Also, now we hear JS was cheating with his now wife on Rebecca during that period??? Please.

I call BS on all this crap.

The lying is in overdrive.

This has become a circus and shame on the liars.

Disgusting.

edited to add:

Also, as to JS cheating with his now wife while being with Rebecca, c'mon, Dr. Luber, JS's best friend, had stated JS had never been as happy and content as he was Rebecca and they were to married.

Where is all this BS we are now reading coming from???
Any guesses anyone???

I have the same questions as you. People lie for a reason. But WHY? DS lying NOW about what she knew and when doesn't help Adam's case in any way.

The only reason I can think is it helps JS, and again I ask WHY is she trying to help him? Because it fits another narrative. JS's narrative is that RZ got the bad news before the suicide thus the reason for the "suicide". But you are right, the only person who was initially kept in the dark was Rebecca. The WHY to that is likely the key to this case, imo. The sympathy for Rebecca was practically non-existent after her death. I fully believe they all blamed her for Max's accident AT BEST and suspected her of murder as well. A real hate there. Even GS when she posted about Max, not a peep about RZ.

Not a single member of the Shacknai family needed to get their own hands dirty for Rebecca to be murdered. The rich and powerful can get those things done by paying for them and if anyone thinks that doesn't happen, they are being naive imo.

I have my own theory about why DS is now saying she thinks Rebecca was murdered, that she doesn't believe RZ killed Max, and she thinks the deaths are linked. Since my theory points to someone else as the killer and not AS not sure if I can post it here?

Snip from article -

Was Shacknai in love with Becky?

Mary hesitates.

“I don’t know. I couldn’t read [them]. I mean, were they affectionate with each other? No, not really. Not in front of us. If I saw them, I probably wouldn’t get that impression. Becky told me that she did love him but that she was disappointed in a lot of ways because he wouldn’t…she was disappointed in his [teenaged] kids, [how] they were allowed to be openly rude to her. Those other two children didn’t want her, period. They resented her. And Jonah would not defend her [against them], stop that. Not really. Not by my impression.”

By this summer, it was coming to a crunch for Rebecca.

“We talked about it; that if the teenaged kids’ behavior doesn’t improve she was considering telling Jonah at the end of this summer that she…needed to have some time to herself.

“I don’t know if she ended up telling him or not.”

I dated a man with teens once, and let me tell you, I vowed never again. They can make you want to run for the hills and if the guy isn't supportive-- forget it. I can totally see Rebecca not liking the situation and rethinking things.

So are we supposed to believe RZ gets a nasty voicemail from this turd and suddenly decides to end her own life even though SHE knows she did nothing to cause Max's fall?

Nope. Don't buy suicide at all.

If JS was dating another woman, what reason would there be for RZ to stay around? The only reason I can think of, from her point of view,is she needed time to get a job and a means of support. JS was under no legal obligation to give her any help.

From JS point of view, she could help out with the kids till she moved on. Maybe that’s the arrangement they had, while he pursued his now wife. But the ...his older kids had left. The youngest was badly injured.

What reason was there for RZ to be there anymore?

Not sure how the confluence of being discarded, having to restart your entire life, and a tragedy involovling a child could not provide a reason for suicide.

That’s not proof she wasn’t murdered. Just seems an undeniably chaotic and cruel time in RZ’s life. Denying it is counterproductive and does not serve the case well, in my opinion....even if it is the general consensus here.

If JS was dating another woman, what reason would there be for RZ to stay around? The only reason I can think of, from her point of view,is she needed time to get a job and a means of support. JS was under no legal obligation to give her any help.

From JS point of view, she could help out with the kids till she moved on. Maybe that’s the arrangement they had, while he pursued his now wife. But the ...his older kids had left. The youngest was badly injured.

What reason was there for RZ to be there anymore?

Not sure how the confluence of being discarded, having to restart your entire life, and a tragedy involovling a child could not provide a reason for suicide.

That’s not proof she wasn’t murdered. Just seems an undeniably chaotic and cruel time in RZ’s life. Denying it is counterproductive and does not serve the case well, in my opinion....even if it is the general consensus here.

JS's older kids weren't around full time. Nothing gives the impression that things were "chaotic and cruel" until Max had the fall. In fact RZ and JS were planning a party. They had a life outside the kids. Just because a person is re-evaluating a relationship doesn't mean it completely sucks, just having second thoughts. Most people don't just INSTANTLY break up. It's a process of re-evaluation. Nothing abnormal about it.

That all changed when Max fell, that's when the seething hate for RZ started. It had been a couple DAYS, so thinking RZ should have immediately moved out when she did nothing to cause Max's accident, and didn't know the seriousness of the injuries seems way off to me. She was trying to be supportive of JS. Running multiple errands, making herself available for what he needed, and since he was directing her and going out to dinner with her, he was still stringing her along for those TWO DAYS -- while making his own plans IMO.

Also RZ had a life and job before JS. A job she really liked. She didn't NEED him. Rebecca would have been fine on her own, hence the reason she had thoughts of leaving in the first place. You're trying to imply she was desperate, and I don't agree, at all.

JS's older kids weren't around full time. Nothing gives the impression that things were "chaotic and cruel" until Max had the fall. In fact RZ and JS were planning a party. They had a life outside the kids. Just because a person is re-evaluating a relationship doesn't mean it completely sucks, just having second thoughts. Most people don't just INSTANTLY break up. It's a process of re-evaluation. Nothing abnormal about it.

That all changed when Max fell, that's when the seething hate for RZ started. It had been a couple DAYS, so thinking RZ should have immediately moved out when she did nothing to cause Max's accident, and didn't know the seriousness of the injuries seems way off to me. She was trying to be supportive of JS. Running multiple errands, making herself available for what he needed, and since he was directing her and going out to dinner with her, he was still stringing her along for those TWO DAYS -- while making his own plans IMO.

Also RZ had a life and job before JS. A job she really liked. She didn't NEED him. Rebecca would have been fine on her own, hence the reason she had thoughts of leaving in the first place. You're trying to imply she was desperate, and I don't agree, at all.

Do you believe that RZ sister lied in that deposition about JS starting to date his current wife before RZ died?

The key role of the girlfriend is to be...the love interest, the object of passion, etc. if the man you are living with is dating another woman, he’s just not that into you anymore.

This doesn’t mean she wasn’t murdered. But unless that deposition is a crazy lie, hav8ng your live-in boyfriend start pursuing another woman...one he eventually marries...well, to me, that’s devastatingly cruel.

Do you believe that RZ sister lied in that deposition about JS starting to date his current wife before RZ died?

The key role of the girlfriend is to be...the love interest, the object of passion, etc. if the man you are living with is dating another woman, he’s just not that into you anymore.

This doesn’t mean she wasn’t murdered. But unless that deposition is a crazy lie, hav8ng your live-in boyfriend start pursuing another woman...one he eventually marries...well, to me, that’s devastatingly cruel.

First of all, we don't know who gave that info in their depo, it could have been DS. It could have been over-exaggerated. Second, we also don't know a bit of the context as far as what the "dates" meant. JS very well could have met and had a few informal events where he spent time with this other person he eventually married. So what? Lol. RZ was in touch with her ex too. Many if not most couple aren't joined at the hip 24/7.

There was nothing about JS's behavior toward RZ that was "devastatingly cruel" until Max fell and got fatal injuries.

First of all, we don't know who gave that info in their depo, it could have been DS. It could have been over-exaggerated. Second, we also don't know a bit of the context as far as what the "dates" meant. JS very well could have met and had a few informal events where he spent time with this other person he eventually married. So what? Lol. RZ was in touch with her ex too. Many if not most couple aren't joined at the hip 24/7.

There was nothing about JS's behavior toward RZ that was "devastatingly cruel" until Max fell and got fatal injuries.

I see it differently. Juries are be made up of people with different persspectives...that’s why tolerating other opinions can be valuable to both sides.

I suspect we...and the jury...will hear more about the state of that relationship.

Edited to add...this reads to me as part of the Zahau case...they are using these depos to state the relationship had soured so therefore there was no reason for suicide...so I don’t understand why they would say that, if these two were still a devoted loving couple up until the accident:

“It should also be noted that the emotional bond between Jonah Shacknai and Rebecca hadalready deteriorated by the time she was murdered to the point where she was considering leaving him and he was already dating the woman he would eventually marry. (Greer Decl., Ex. I, Mary Zahau- Loehner Depo. at pgs. 62:24-63:24; Ex. G, Dina Shacknai Depo. at 154:20-155:22). This information, which tends to undermine the perception that Rebecca and Jonah were still madly in love and the injury to Max was therefore so painful Rebecca was compelled to end her life, was not shared with the Sheriffs Department or the Medical Examiner.“

I see it differently. Juries are be made up of people with different persspectives...that’s why tolerating other opinions can be valuable to both sides.

I suspect we...and the jury...will hear more about the state of that relationship.

Yes people have varied opinions. I'm just glad this case has made it to a jury. Regular people with no agenda. If you look around most of the public does not buy suicide in this case. In fact you know who else isn't buying suicide? Dina Shacknai. Don't you find that interesting?

Yes people have varied opinions. I'm just glad this case has made it to a jury. Regular people with no agenda. If you look around most of the public does not buy suicide in this case. In fact you know who else isn't buying suicide? Dina Shacknai. Don't you find that interesting?

I think the new evidence should cause a re-evaluation. But the Z family is arguing against suicide by asserting the relationship was essentially over. Yet that could also be argued as a reason for suicide.

Lots to find out yet. I wish there was some way to get a new investigation into the child’s death. If the investigation conclusions are so flawed in regard to RZ, why should they be trusted in regard to the child. His life mattered too.

I think the new evidence should cause a re-evaluation. But the Z family is arguing against suicide by asserting the relationship was essentially over. Yet that could also be argued as a reason for suicide.

Lots to find out yet. I wish there was some way to get a new investigation into the child’s death. If the investigation conclusions are so flawed in regard to RZ, why should they be trusted in regard to the child. His life mattered too.
^^^ except this thread ISN'T about Max.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Pi2016,

Thank you for taking the time to so eloquently say what I was thinking. These comments suggesting Rebecca was suicidal have me too emotional to address in a productive fashion at this moment. Thank you again. ❤

^^^ except this thread ISN'T about Max.

AND Maxie's mother blew off her opportunity to extract info regarding he one and only son.

Tricia interview- :tyou:

Author Caitlin Rother/Rebecca Zahau Civil Trial

Author Caitlin Rother/ Rebecca Zahau Civil Tria
We are introduced to a wonderful former reporter and now true crime author Caitlin Rother. Ms. Rother gives us her unique perspective of the civil trial in the death of Rebecca Zahau. Was it suicide or murder?

https://soundcloud.com/tricia-arrington-griffith/author-caitlin-rother-rebecca-zahau-civil-trial

A few tidbits I picked up from the interview:

- Plaintiffs plan to call Adam Shacknai to the stand.

- There is a juror with a scheduling conflict if the trial takes longer.

- Adam does have an ins company involved. IIRC from court documents, it was Travelers Ins Co., still uncertain from the new info what type of policy. An umbrella, a homeowners, etc...

- A little bit of info on the defense and their possible strategy.

- Defense seems to be dragging out on cross examination.

- Caitlin will join Tricia once a week for an update. Caitlin is gathering info to possibly write a book. She is attending court every day.

You miss the point. Acknowledging that RZ was in a very stressful period does not mean she was not murdered. But denying what seems to be obvious, could undermine credibility with an impartial jury. This discussion is dominated by people with like opinions who reinforce each other’s opinions. A jury may not be like that.

Anyone with doubts really is unwelcome here. I just don’t know if that’s really productive to gauge how information might be viewed by others, like a jury. I have believed this was suicide for a long time...but find the new evidence compelling. But obviously one must be completely devout in all areas or it upsets the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member