Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, according to Leza’s post. I probably should have quoted the segement. Bold below is from Leza.

* the large clump of hair found on the shower wall in the master was a ’handful’, of long dark hair and it was never collected OR tested - or thought significant (as there was a hairbrush in the shower)

That came from lead detectives testimony. I think BettyP is questioning that testimony. Did they photograph the area? Because taking SDSO at their word might be inadvisable.

Thanks Lezah for the excellent recap!

This part:

I wonder why Mr. Greer was objecting to that info? Didn't the jury already hear Dr. Peterson say the bad news didn't come until AFTER Rebecca's death? But the lead Detective is saying Jonah told her he left a message that Max was brain dead?

Hi guys, I’m so pleased you thought my post was helpful.

Wow, wow, wow youre all SO right in the contradiction of the painted message and the voice mail message...now THAT would be powerful if presented in court...talk about hiding in plain sight. How did I miss that!

Goes along with tying yourself up ‘to prevent yourself stopping your own strangulation’ ...and then tying yourself up really loosely and using slack ropes...so you can get your hands out to stop yourself....

So, re the question - as I understand it, JS is the only one who can state what he says he put in the message. Perhaps his deposition tape will be played by the defence? The detective couldn’t say what was in it as she never actually heard it.

The evidence is that the police believe the message was a significant factor in the suicide ruling, and they believe it had a message relating to Maxie’s condition, but they can’t say it definitely did, as it’s not available. Does that make sense?

Greer highlighted the fact beautifully that the police were basing a principle decision of suicide on a message they never actually heard or could validate...

...that’s what came across to me in the proceedings.

From Leza-

* the large clump of hair found on the shower wall in the master was a ’handful’, of long dark hair and it was never collected OR tested - or thought significant (as there was a hairbrush in the shower)

I am curious where the hairbrush was found in the shower. Was it on the floor or a shower shelf? If on the floor or in an unusual area, could the hairbrush have caused the blunt force trauma?

The brush was located on in a ‘holder’ between the two shower water knobs. The hair was stuck to the wall ( not identified where, just the wall of the shower cubicle)

Never mentioned what type of brush handle or anything, just a hairbrush...or if it was used for any other purpose.

( I made a lot of notes - 16 pages! So I can probably answer questions like that that I didn't include in the post if there are any others)

Goes along with tying yourself up ‘to prevent yourself stopping your own strangulation’ ...and then tying yourself up really loosely and using slack ropes...so you can get your hands out to stop yourself....
And, using absence of DNA to determine suicide, then saying it's cool if Rebecca's DNA isn't on things she would have touched, and Adam's DNA is on things he would have touched, because "some people don't deposit DNA or fingerprints."

So, re the question - as I understand it, JS is the only one who can state what he says he put in the message. Perhaps his deposition tape will be played by the defence? The detective couldn’t say what was in it as she never actually heard it.

The evidence is that the police believe the message was a significant factor in the suicide ruling, and they believe it had a message relating to Maxie’s condition, but they can’t say it definitely did, as it’s not available. Does that make sense?

Greer highlighted the fact beautifully that the police were basing a principle decision of suicide on a message they never actually heard or could validate...

...that’s what came across to me in the proceedings.

Absolutely. This is the key. It's hearsay for the detective to testify about it. Only Jonah can speak to it (and it's still only his word). Frankly, I don't think the discrepancy with the door message matters much, since that's just their interpretation of a very cryptic message anyway. (She saved him...if referring to Rebecca & Max could equally be sarcastic)

What's key is that they used this VM as *the essential* prompting point for a suicide, but they didn't go about confirming it, they just took Jonah's word for it. IMO, that's more damning, esp. when lined up with all their other failures. And, yeah, if they want to talk about the content of the message so badly --- let them call Jonah!

Hey Everyone,

I will be making a new thread in about 20 minutes.

Tricia

Wow! Great interview with Caitlin Rother regarding this week in court! http://www.kusi.com/caitlin-rother-on-the-rebecca-zahau-trial/ I'm jumping for joy at this:

Caitlin said the most dramatic thing, possibly of the whole week, was Greer's cross examination of SDSO's lead detective today. She said he "took apart the sheriffs case like a table, removing one leg at a time."

Saying essentially:
Are you concerned there was no DNA on knife Adam used to cut the ropes down?
No DNA on paint brushes?
No DNA on door?
No DNA on doorknob?
Why is all this DNA missing?
Are you concerned about that?

She said, "Their conclusion of suicide was based on all these points & he (Greer) knocked them down, one at a time."

She also said of the jury:
"I heard gasps…"

Go to town, Attorney Greer!!!

:loveyou:

I'm still kinda new at this and wish I knew how to put text in bold. But when you said, "...and even to listen to a court reporter saying last week that it was possible Rebecca had hog-tied herself. I mean...speechless really." Thanks for bringing this up. It's one of the same things I mentioned upthread. It just doesn't add up. Nothing about this case adds up. One and one does not equal two here. At all.

Lezah, thank you! I'm so glad that Mr. Greer was able to rip apart the detective on the stand. I'm so looking forward to my boss doing that in our current case! It's nearly as horrific of an investigation as Becky's.

I don't want SDSO to reopen the case because they clearly failed already. I want someone ELSE to come in and take over. I want that outside agency to reopen the case and get to the bottom of this. That's the only way justice will be served.

BBM. I'm thinking we need an agency outside the state of California and completely unconnected to any of the agencies that were involved initially.

Hey Everyone,

Please start posting in Thread #2

I brought over to thread number 2 Lezah's incredible post from yesterday's court proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suebrina