WV WV - Fame Cooper, 14, Fairmont, Marion County, WV, Nov 1990

Jim_M

Reaction score
Unsolved Homicide Victim

Fame Cooper went missing in July of 1990. Sadly, her remains were found by hunters in November of that same year.

Fame-Cooper-3.jpg
Fame-Cooper-11.jpg
Fame-Cooper-2.jpg

58254737_ff17cbbf-3f1b-474f-b7b1-9523e4b0a067.png

Fame Cooper - Project: Cold Case
[....] "In July of 1990, at 14 years of age, Fame Cooper went missing. Four months later, on November 10, 1990, her remains were found by two hunters in the woods of Barrackville, West Virginia. Four men were questioned, with one held in prison for suspicion of murder and then later released two years later, the case has since gone cold and so many questions have been left unanswered."[....]

Article From 2012
Unanswered questions

Fame's FindaGrave
Fame Conaway (1975-1990) - Find A Grave Memorial
Note: Attempting to determine where the 'Conaway' comes from.

Fame's grandmother
Remembering the life of Evelyn Hornick 1929 - 2017

Unsolved Homicide Victim

Fame Cooper went missing in July of 1990. Sadly, her remains were found by hunters in November of that same year.

Fame-Cooper-3.jpg
Fame-Cooper-11.jpg
Fame-Cooper-2.jpg

58254737_ff17cbbf-3f1b-474f-b7b1-9523e4b0a067.png

Fame Cooper - Project: Cold Case
[....] "In July of 1990, at 14 years of age, Fame Cooper went missing. Four months later, on November 10, 1990, her remains were found by two hunters in the woods of Barrackville, West Virginia. Four men were questioned, with one held in prison for suspicion of murder and then later released two years later, the case has since gone cold and so many questions have been left unanswered."[....]

Article From 2012
Unanswered questions

Fame's FindaGrave
Fame Conaway (1975-1990) - Find A Grave Memorial
Note: Attempting to determine where the 'Conaway' comes from.

Fame's grandmother
Remembering the life of Evelyn Hornick 1929 - 2017
Released two years later for suspicion of murder?! Sounds like we need to find out more about this case.

Sounds like the suspect may have been involved in other murders as well. Maybe one of those cases where they know who did it but don’t have enough evidence to convict?
Released two years later for suspicion of murder?! Sounds like we need to find out more about this case.

Reading the article from 2012, "Unanswered Questions":

[....]

"Ted Offutt, then-Fairmont police chief, confirmed this for this article. He had been asked by Sheriff Slaughter to help investigate the case when it happened.

“It was basically obvious,” Offutt said. “There were ligatures on the body, wire used to bound her up. It was still present. You don’t have death of natural causes when the person is tied up. The autopsy ruled the cause of death a homicide. And that made it a murder case."

“Someone took that child’s life."

[....]
He referred to a person of interest also suspected in the murder of another Marion County girl.

“We were confident he had committed the murder but there wasn’t enough evidence to file murder charges. With double jeopardy, if we had gone to trial and he was acquitted, even if we found major evidence the next week, we couldn’t try him again. We had him in jail on unrelated charges. But I’m confident he got away with these murders.”

Reading the article from 2012, "Unanswered Questions":

[....]

"Ted Offutt, then-Fairmont police chief, confirmed this for this article. He had been asked by Sheriff Slaughter to help investigate the case when it happened.

“It was basically obvious,” Offutt said. “There were ligatures on the body, wire used to bound her up. It was still present. You don’t have death of natural causes when the person is tied up. The autopsy ruled the cause of death a homicide. And that made it a murder case."

“Someone took that child’s life."

[....]
He referred to a person of interest also suspected in the murder of another Marion County girl.

“We were confident he had committed the murder but there wasn’t enough evidence to file murder charges. With double jeopardy, if we had gone to trial and he was acquitted, even if we found major evidence the next week, we couldn’t try him again. We had him in jail on unrelated charges. But I’m confident he got away with these murders.”
yes i figured he was in jail on unrelated charges. at least there was that!

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, just signed in today. Fame's sister and I have been working on her case now since October 2019. We went to the Marion County Sheriffs department and got the case reopened in Jan. We have been working very hard to get this case solved! Any information could possible help. If any of you are from Fairmont, WV and aren't on the Fairmont Community Facebook let me know and I can send you an invite. Right now Mysterious WV is working on a video about her murder and is almost done. You can go to his Facebook and join to see it once it's done.

Mysterious WV premiere of Fame's cold case should hit on evening of 06/15th 20. Monday.

This came from guy runs that site. I am member got update few hours ago. It should happen if nothing major go wrong. So far his work is great.
Never heard this case before until tonight. Such a so very sad case that never ever should happen.
Hope we catch that idiot before he kills again.
Thanks.

Mysterious WV premiere of Fame's cold case should hit on evening of 06/15th 20. Monday.

This came from guy runs that site. I am member got update few hours ago. It should happen if nothing major go wrong. So far his work is great.
Never heard this case before until tonight. Such a so very sad case that never ever should happen.
Hope we catch that idiot before he kills again.
Thanks.

I just finished watching the episode about this case from Mysterious WV. He did a great job. I would like to see Fame's case receive more of the attention it deserves. National attention would be ideal. Fame and her family deserve that.

Someone out there knows what happened. Supposedly, a group of men in a van picked Fame up right before her murder took place. One or some of those men could still live in the area. It's been 30 years. I hope the person(s) involved give up their secrets soon. I'm assuming there was no DNA found in this case or it was too early in forensic development to collect such evidence. DNA would be extremely helpful.

I just finished watching the episode about this case from Mysterious WV. He did a great job. I would like to see Fame's case receive more of the attention it deserves. National attention would be ideal. Fame and her family deserve that.

Someone out there knows what happened. Supposedly, a group of men in a van picked Fame up right before her murder took place. One or some of those men could still live in the area. It's been 30 years. I hope the person(s) involved give up their secrets soon. I'm assuming there was no DNA found in this case or it was too early in forensic development to collect such evidence. DNA would be extremely helpful.
As I understand it, those responsible for this are  not going to confess. They're dogs. DNA  would be extremely helpful. Don't know if they have it. A lot could be done with it now. Forensic analysis has come a long way. jmo
ETA: I'm unable to watch Mysterious WV, if they addressed these questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynz57
Back