GUILTY WV - Skylar Neese, 16, Star City, 6 July 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on the tweets - I am dying to see how the social media aspect unfolds in court. There was a lot of drama between her and her classmates via twitter. It seemed that so many of her circle knew the truth - amazing to me that it didn't come to light sooner.

If RS confessed that they did indeed count to three and starting stabbing I imagine SE's tweet about "we went on three" and something like "yea that was a good plan" will be admitted into the trial because it has support from RS's confession. Again, that is if she (RS) mentioned that in her confession.

Do we think the trial will actually start in February?? This case is chilling.

I think it probably will - it's not a DP case so there are only so many continuances they can get. I agree about the "on three" tweet but she also had lots of others that could show her character, should that be an issue. I recall one to the effect of 'if you think you have seen Rachel and I at our worst, you're wrong'.

Are cameras allowed in the courtroom? I am wondering if HLN will cover the trial. I know a lot of people want the trial to get huge publicity, but if it does, there's no doubt Skylar's killers will turn into "celebrities" of sorts. I think people have this idea that if the national media isn't covering a case, even one that wouldn't benefit from it, it means that it's not important. I get that people think the whole country should know about a case because it's horrible, but you could say that for every case. I don't think a trial remaining a local story is necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't want this case to get a lot of publicity either and the girls ending up on par with someone like Casey Anthony. That being said though I think it can be more well known. I'm actually surprised Nancy Grace hasn't covered it. I don't live in the US but it only ever seems to be on West Virginia media. I've seen it minimally on national media though but it's not common. I hope it will be broadcast on TV though, I am looking forward to seeing some justice for Skylar.

Just to clear up what people were talking about on the previous page. I believe that Skylar was murdered and died in Pennsylvania and this is generally accepted as accurate, but Shelia has been charged with four counts. One count of conspiracy to commit murder, one count of conspiracy to kidnap, kidnapping and murder. I believe Shelia is being charged in West Virginia because:

• 3/4 of the charges were committed in WV. Only one was committed in PA.

• Skylar disappeared from WV and lived there, so the LE in WV were the ones who were investigating her disappearance and therefore have all the information

I hope WV give them tough sentences though. I really think Rachel was the mastermind and thought of the idea, not Shelia like she said. I wish Rachel had the possibility of receiving life as well.

I wouldn't want this case to get a lot of publicity either and the girls ending up on par with someone like Casey Anthony. That being said though I think it can be more well known. I'm actually surprised Nancy Grace hasn't covered it. I don't live in the US but it only ever seems to be on West Virginia media. I've seen it minimally on national media though but it's not common. I hope it will be broadcast on TV though, I am looking forward to seeing some justice for Skylar.

Just to clear up what people were talking about on the previous page. I believe that Skylar was murdered and died in Pennsylvania and this is generally accepted as accurate, but Shelia has been charged with four counts. One count of conspiracy to commit murder, one count of conspiracy to kidnap, kidnapping and murder. I believe Shelia is being charged in West Virginia because:

• 3/4 of the charges were committed in WV. Only one was committed in PA.

• Skylar disappeared from WV and lived there, so the LE in WV were the ones who were investigating her disappearance and therefore have all the information

I hope WV give them tough sentences though. I really think Rachel was the mastermind and thought of the idea, not Shelia like she said. I wish Rachel had the possibility of receiving life as well.

I wouldn't mind if HLN aired the trial. I just don't want Sheila and Rachel turning into celebrities, household names, on the cover of the tabloids, etc. It surprises me how many comments I see online that want that level of coverage for the trial, though. I'm not sure why people want it so the media is offering hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars for an interview or a book deal with a murderer, but okay.

While I'm not certain Rachel was the "mastermind", I'm surprised that so many people are willing to lend credence to the idea that Shelia was "in charge" simply because Rachel confessed. Rachel clearly admitted her guilt earlier on while Shelia did not, and therefore had access to legal help while Shelia did not, so it seems pretty clear that a lawyer may have told her how to confess to lessen guilt.

I wonder what the terms of the deal were, and if they had anything to do with culpability. I imagine that they may have had to with confession and not guilt, considering I have read that Rachel admitted that they both stabbed Skylar, and it would be impossible to determine who actually killed her.

I'll just leave it that I am not convinced that Shelia was the one in charge, and I'm also not convinced that there had to be a leader. They could very well have been working in tandem, and Rachel's feelings of guilt got to her. I respect this, even though I know it's an unpopular opinion. I know she was free for a long time after the crime was committed, but I firmly believe they would not have been caught without her confession, and I think 20-40 years is an adequate sentence. I know I'm in the minority, and JMO and all that.

Edited to add that I wouldn't mind if HLN aired the trial, only because I would like to hear what they have to say. I haven't sorted out my feelings on the ethics of trials being aired in general, because I can't help but think of Casey Anthony and Jodi Arias, and how those trials were media sensations. Is that good, bad, or neutral? I don't quite know how I feel. However, I think the laws on juveniles are still murky even if they are being tried as adults. I believe West Virginia allows cameras at the discretion of the judge, and I wonder if the fact that they're minors affects that.

I'm not sure why people want it so the media is offering hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars for an interview or a book deal with a murderer, but okay.

Thanks to the Son of Sam Law (of which WV has an active version), accused or convicted criminals are not able to profit from their crime. This includes any money given to a person for an interview, book deal, film rights or any other means. Typically, the money would go to the victim's family, but it can also be used to reimburse taxpayers for the expense of a trial.

(rsbm)
I'll just leave it that I am not convinced that Shelia was the one in charge, and I'm also not convinced that there had to be a leader.

I agree with you completely, and I didn't know that it was an unpopular opinion. I think the public got a much more intimate look into Shelia's thoughts and life through her preserved twitter—all that officially remained of Rachel's online existence were her ambitions to sing and act. Shelia immediately came off as more of the degenerate with fewer ambitions. But I think the fact that it was Shelia + Skylar their whole lives until Rachel came into the picture in high school will become important. I don't think Rachel expedited an existing possibility so much as she presented a new one altogether. :moo:

Also, first post on this thread, though I've been following this case since Skylar was first reported missing, mostly over on that website that starts with a t that I am so so happy to not have to read anymore.

What's the general consensus here about whether or not Rachel's stint in the hospital was to set up an insanity defense? I know it's incredibly hard to pull off, legally speaking, and I don't think it ever would've worked for her, but I wonder if she knew she was going to crack and tried to lessen the impact that way or if it was a legitimate trip with unintended consequences (the confession).

Are cameras allowed in the courtroom? I am wondering if HLN will cover the trial. I know a lot of people want the trial to get huge publicity, but if it does, there's no doubt Skylar's killers will turn into "celebrities" of sorts. I think people have this idea that if the national media isn't covering a case, even one that wouldn't benefit from it, it means that it's not important. I get that people think the whole country should know about a case because it's horrible, but you could say that for every case. I don't think a trial remaining a local story is necessarily a bad thing.

I wonder if cameras are allowed in WV courtrooms. I think this case in particular can be a teachable experience for high school aged 'kids'. Showing them that stuff like this DOES happen, making the conversation be more open, etc.

Someone posted on Topix the trial has been moved up two weeks. It was February 11, but now it's January 28. Supposedly Skylar's mom posted this on her facebook.

I'm trying to find the next trial coming up in Dec but the calender here is full of birthday's instead of trials. :(

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) - A judge has denied bail for a 17-year-old girl charged with the premeditated murder of her former best friend.

Monongalia County Circuit Judge Russell Clawges ruled Tuesday that Shelia Eddy should remain behind bars as her case moves toward trial, now postponed to the week of Feb. 11.

http://www.wdtv.com/wdtv.cfm?func=v...em=Shelia-Eddys-Trial-Delayed-Until-201412308

Monongalia County Circuit Judge Russell Clawges postponed Shelia Eddy's trial on first-degree murder, kidnapping and conspiracy charges to the week of Feb. 11. He also delayed hearings on other pre-trial motions so defense attorney Michael Benninger can collect more evidence to argue them.

Benninger is seeking a change of venue and said he has "thousands of pages" of evidence to submit to help demonstrate that Eddy can't get a fair trial in Morgantown. He contends that publicity surrounding the 2012 stabbing death of 16-year-old Skylar Neese has tainted the pool of potential jurors.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/skylar-...urder-suspect-in-wva-teens-death-denied-bail/

I've heard of trials being resceduled further along in time, but never earlier. Any ideas why?

It's defiantly odd for it to be moved up, but for some reason it's making me hopeful something is going on. Anything to get justice for Skylar faster is good in my book.

perhaps another trial that was meant to be taking place at that time plead out or has been pushed further out, thus leaving an opening on the docket? It is strange, I have not seen one set for an earlier time. Later yes, but reset for earlier.

ODD.

Yeah, I don't know why the trial was moved up. If I remember correctly, the article I posted didn't give a reason. Well, I think we can all agree that this is good news, right?

Anyone know whether the media will be allowed in the courtroom? My brain wants this case to get coverage, but my heart wants it to stay out of the spotlight for the Neese's sake.

Thinking of the Neese Family every day and hoping for some kind of justice. RIP beautiful Skylar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member