WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a WS member for quite a while, but I am new to this forum. I became so intrigued by this case that I've lost my entire morning reading! I won't presume to be able to add anything to the case since you are all much more knowledgeable than I am, but I will try to catch up. I am convinced that the photo sent to the Sodders is, in fact, Louis! To me, it looks just like him! I really wish we could see the back of the photo (my understanding, though, is that the photo is not available?). I want to see the handwriting on the back...did it look more male/female or was it neutral? Print/cursive? Written with an elderly hand (shaky?) or was it clearly legible? And this whole "ilil" thing....I'm not convinced it is a reference to Lil Italy. I want to see *how* those letters were written! Was it all caps, some cap/some lower, was it all one word or were the letters separated in any way, were the letters definitely ilil? And I want to see the whole photo...what was the background? I would love a bigger version....Is that a necklace he's wearing? What kind? Aargh! I would love to see the details! (geez...I want a lot for a newbie to this forum, don't I? :))

I believe these children were not killed in that fire and that we CAN find out what happened to them! This is a mystery that can be solved...it just needs one break. Hopefully peace can be brought to the Sodder family.

And, granddaughter, I am so terribly sorry for Joe's death. Please let your mother know that she and the rest of your family are in our prayers.

I am so sorry to hear of Joe's death. I send my condolences to you and your family granddaughter.

Hello all -

Thanks for the messages over the holidays, and sorry for the long absence.

With deep sympathy for his beloved family, Mom asked that I inform you of the passing this morning of her dear brother Joe, the second oldest of the Sodder children, who was returning from World War II at the time of the tragic fire. Please keep the extended Sodder family in your thoughts and prayers. He was a kind and gentle man.

My Condolences to your family..

Here's the obituary for those interested

Joseph S. Sodder Sr.

FAYETTEVILLE — Joseph Samuel Sodder Sr., 85, of Fayetteville, passed away Wednesday, January 6, 2010, at Plateau Medical Center, Oak Hill, following an extended illness.

Born on September 4, 1924, at Smithers, he was the son of the late George (Sr.) and Jennie Cipriani Sodder.

Mr. Sodder was one of the owners of Sodder Trucking at Alloy. He served his country in the U.S. Army during WWII. He enjoyed working in his yard and spending time with his family.

Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by his son, Joseph S. Sodder Jr.; one grandson, Gary Wayne Gillespie Jr.; one granddaughter, Angie Abbott; two brothers, John Sodder and Michael Sodder; one sister, Mary Ann Crowder; and five siblings that perished in a house fire.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Clarice Louise Buckland Sodder; one son, George Sodder and wife, Sherrie; two daughters, Vickie Gillespie and husband, Gary, and Sherry Thornburg and husband, Wallace; one brother, George “Ted” Sodder and wife, Elsie; one sister, Sylvia Paxton and husband, Grover; seven grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.

In keeping with his wishes, he will be cremated and a memorial service will be held at a later date.

Online condolences and other information available at www.doddpaynehessfuneralhome.com

Dodd-Payne-Hess Funeral Home, 350 W. Maple Ave., Fayetteville, will be assisting the family.

I have to say that I have been reading almost all day.. lol I laugh because a lot of posts I've read say the same thing. You start reading and get sucked in.

Is anyone interested in rebuilding the sodderchildren website? I have an archive open - a lot of the pages are still there except the photos.
Google does free web sites - you could then upload the images to picasa which is free. I did one for a case I'm following, it's pretty easy.

As far as what happened, and obviously I haven't read enough to know if this has been thrown in but I'm going to mention it...

I had a neighbor at one time; he's almost 90 - also Italian. He used to tell me stories about life growing up - I'll have to ask him exactly where he was born but it was not in NJ - it was South - whether it was WV or the Carolinas; I'm not sure.

One thing we talked about was his name - he never had a birth certificate IIRC - he told me about how one day he needed to get his drivers license renewed or something and they wanted documentation. He was asked what his name was - he said Bill - not William - he said he eventually found out his real name was not Bill but some Italian name. He also gave his last name; which he does not feel is exactly correct.

I mention this because of the kids that supposedly died; they may or may not remember what their last name is/was; and if they were taken to Italy; they could have gotten new names with who ever had them telling them it meant the same as their American name.

I have a feeling that the answer will come eventually but it may not be soon enough for any of the surviving children. Has anyone checked the people search section of citydata? There are a few posts there about black market adoption IIRC.

Ummm I am confused. Granddaughter, in the obituary it says he was proceeded in death by five siblings who perished in a fire. Did he believe they all died?

I've tried to read most of the posts on this topic, but I will admitt that I haen't been able to get through every single one. So, if what I am posting has already been written, I am sorry.

I have an AAS in Mortuary Science and I can tell you, factually, that to fully cremate an adult male of average size (say 6 feet tall and 200 lbs) it takes a temp between 1400-1600 degrees. It takes about 2 hours to complete. Even then, there are usually bone fragments left (usually quarter sized fragments from the larger bones, like the pelvis) that must be pulverized before they will reach the state that most people think of when they hear "cremated remains."

Now, I know for a fact that house fires can reach upwards of 1500 degrees, given the construction of the dwelling. I have no doubt that the Sodder house was constructed typically for the day (ie, nothing fire retardant). Therefore it is not unreasonable to think that the fire reached the temp needed to decimate the childrens' bodies.

I am confident that the children could well have been reduced to nothing more than bone shards given what I have read about the time frame provided.

I am also confident that standards of the day where not anywhere near what they are today, and it is possible that what little was left of the children may have been further destroyed by careless people (anyone from firefighters to the family to "helpful" spectators) trampling the fragile bones or scattering the fragments. That amount of heat would have made the bones incredibly brittle.

As for the "smell"... Yes, it is true that a body burning does have a very specific odor. I hate to sound crude, but once the body's fat has been consumed, and burnt off, there is not much of a noticable odor. Add to that the strong odors of the other burning (and possibly still smoldering) items and structure... And it is totally possible that there would be little to no scent to be detected.

Jenni,

Yes, it is possible the children died in the fire. However, you expect us to believe something that seems extremely strange and unbelievable, that the strange events leading up to that night and after were just strange coincidences. And THAT is the part that make us believe the children did not die in the fire that night. Let's start before the fire.

1. George Sodder gets in a fight with a man trying to sell him insurance that he refuses to buy. The man says, "Your house will burn and your children will pay", in a flare of anger.

2. The younger children notice a strange car following them to and from school.

Now, let's move on to the night of the fire.

1. The children beg their parents to let them stay up late to play with the toys one of their sisters brought home for them and their parents say yes, reminding them to do their chores before they go to bed. They agree, but when their mother wakes up in the middle of the night the chores are not done. Which is odd, because these children were said to ALWAYS have done their chores. Okay, weird, right?

2. What woke the mother up in the first place was a strange phone call. A woman called and asked to speak to a man who didn't even live there. People could be heard laughing in the background.

3. Jennie closes the curtains, locks the door, and goes back to bed. She thinks her children were maybe too excited to do their chores and just forgot, but that had never happened before , the kids always remembered their chores. Jennie goes back to bed without checking on the children, a decision that will haunt her for the rest of her life.

4. Jennie is later awakened by a big bang on top of the house. She falls back asleep, and the next thing that happens is she is awakened by flames.

5. They try to reach the kids from their window, but cannot. The ladder they always have in the shed is missing. The phone line has been cut to the house. Two cars that both started the day before will not start, as they try to drive them under their children's window. There is no way to reach the children's window to the house.

6. George sends one of the kids to a neighbor's house to call the fire department. But the fire department does not arrive until the next morning, after the fire is over.

After the fire

1. No bones, nothing of the children can be found at all. A liver is found and sent to a coroner who determines the liver is not human at all, it's actually a beef liver. The mother is very confused as she told fire fighters there was no beef liver in the house at all. None.

2. The phone line is determined to have been cut, and the ladder is found by the phone poles.

3. A man admits to stealing from the Sodder family that night, but not to harming the children or setting the fire.

4. The fire had burned slowly, through the entire night, until the morning. The fire department thinks there should have been something left of the children. In fact, they say the ground was still hot the next morning when they got there. It had burned slowly all night. It wasn't a hot raging fire.

5. They have a third party come in and check the fire area for any remains and no remains are found. This third party was a famous person who looked for small pieces of remains in fires and other cases.

6. The Sodder family puts up a reward and a huge billboard for the kids. A woman who owns a local inn says she saw the children with some Italian speaking men and that they stayed in her hotel the day after the children supposedly died. Someone else comes forward and puts the children in a cab with some men the night of the fire.

7. Mr. Sodder sees a photo from NY in a magazine. He is so sure this is his youngest daughter who went missing, Betty that he drives all the way to NY to the school. The school refuses to even let him see the girl, stating her lineage is not in question. He goes home defeated but still positive it is his girl.

8. A photo is sent to the Sodder family with some strange letters and numbers on the back. It looks a lot like their son, Louis Sodder only much older. There is no return address, name or anything else, just the photo.

9. Mr. Sodder gets a report that his oldest daughter now lives in New Orleans in a monestary and is a nun. They go there, but find nothing.

For all of these strange things, it seems almost impossible for this to have been just a case of children who died in a fire. If it was just the case of a fire, I think something would have been found, etc.

And either something else happened, or these were the unluckiest people in the world. Think about it for a minute...

All in one night:::

Their phone lines got cut,
their house burned to the ground,
their kids all died in the fire,
they got robbed,
they were the victim of a prank call,
their cars broke down both of them,
the fire department wasn't able to show up until the next morning,
something hit the top of the house,
their kids bones were totally gone so they could not be buried even....

the more you think about it all, the more crazy it sounds. How could anyone be THAT unlucky to have all those things happen ON THE SAME NIGHT? It has to all be connected somehow.

Laura,

I am not trying to say that strange things did not happen, or even that they children ABSOLUTELY died in that fire. I just wanted to add some facts that I know to be true...

Sometimes, though, the simplest explaination in the right explaination...

May I offer a scenario?

What if the children did get tired and went up to their room for the evening? Say, then, that thefire was due to faulty electrical running through the attic (I read this in thread #1). Let's say that the fire started in the attic above the childrens' room... If the fire was in need of a proper source of oxygen then it may have smoldered long enough to produce enough carbon monoxide to knock the kids out (if not kill them). Then, maybe the heat would have built up enough to break an attic window (if there was one) or cause one of the seams in the tin roof to buckle and pop, thus causing the noise from the roof that woke Jennie. (In my scenario I am dismissing the phone call as a simple wrong number, and the laughter could be explained by something as simple as a holiday gathering, in the background.)

That would have allowed a propper oxygen supply to reach the remaining smoldering fire and cause it to truly ignite. The children, already passed out, would not have been able to rally when the fire started to consume their room.

I remember reading that John said that he not only saw the children, but shook them, trying to wake them, but was not able to rouse them. (I'm not sure what thread this was in, but it is on WS.) John tries to wake the children, until his hair startes to literally singe.

By this time, Jennie is awake again and sends Marie Ann to rescue Silvia... The fire progresses and razes the home...

Now, it is the morning and Mr. & Mrs. Sodder are devistated (as anyone would be)... But, who is to say that the idea of the loss of 5 of her children was not simply too much to bear. Whether that be to grief, guilt or a combination of the 2. There have been cases of people who refuse to accept the truth when it comes to death & loss.

The Sodder's draw a mental line-in-the-sand and decide to refuse to believe that their babies are gone until someone produces bodies, which would be impossible at this point.

Now, if the parents are then grilling the remaining children about whether they have seem anything odd in the preceeding days... After being asked and asked and asked the same question it is very possible to sway children. That is NOT to say they were not telling the truth. But, they may have taken events that were truly innocent and because of the family's paranoia they spun it into something nefarious.

Now, this is just what goes through my head... It does not explain the cut phone lines, missing ladder, or any of the other details you have listed above...

May I ask your opinion of what may have happened?

I have read everything from mafia to white slavery to the extended family rescuing the children from "something."

It is a truly baffling case and I hope that one day, the facts will be made clear... Even if that means some sort of death-bed confession...

Thank you!

4. The fire had burned slowly, through the entire night, until the morning. The fire department thinks there should have been something left of the children. In fact, they say the ground was still hot the next morning when they got there. It had burned slowly all night. It wasn't a hot raging fire.

5. They have a third party come in and check the fire area for any remains and no remains are found. This third party was a famous person who looked for small pieces of remains in fires and other cases.

Between these 2, Mr Sodder bulldozed the area; which I think is important.
I think had he not done that, the expert may have been able to rule it out better.

Such a very sad story..

It is a truly baffling case and I hope that one day, the facts will be made clear... Even if that means some sort of death-bed confession...

This is probably the way it's going to be.. someone that knows something is going to confess on their deathbed. I personally think it will be a child or relative of the actual person involved.. if there is someone that did take the kids or set the fire. I don't think it will come for a few year though.

Welp I think there are lots of possible explanations, and I don't know which is the right one.

Mafia Theory --- First off, the beef liver being left at the scene, makes me think the mafia was involved. My grandmother told me that the leaving a beef liver back than was a message that you were a rat and that they had gotten to you. But it seems like Mr. Sodder didn't know that, if he had known that wouldn't he have told someone? Even just family, if not the authorities? If he didn't know what it meant, why would they have left the beef liver? Some speculation has been that perhaps the mafia thought they were getting George Sodder's brother and HIS children, but would the mob actually make as huge a mistake as to get the wrong family? One odd thing thought, one of the children who died/were taken/ etc, had the exact same name as one of the kids his brother had, so two girls named Martha Lee... But would they mistake the family who lived in Florida, with the family who lived in WV? ---

Trans allegheny lunatic asylum theory - I have a theory about the trans allegheny lunatic asylum. I found that they used to pay parents to put their children there, weekly, per child. If someone wanted to make some quick cash off of the Sodder family, this would be the way to do it. George Sodder supposedly had debts, but when his house went up in flames no one bothered him about those, so why? Remorse for him and his family? I doubt it. So why did the debts disappear? Because they killed their kids, or because they used the kids to pay the debts? It would have been very easy to place the kids there, and to get checks for them every week. the place is located in WV and was the biggest thing WV was known for at the time. No one would ever think to look for these kids there. ----

Christmas theory - The Christmas theory is one I keep going back too. The second oldest son was supposed to be home from the military for Christmas but was unable to make it home. There was a great sadness over the whole family. What if the beef liver had something to do with a surprise for the parents and other siblings? There was no tree, no Christmas cheer because suddenly everyone was sad. What if the kids went outside to get a tree that night, to surprise their parents? Think about this, the kids see their parents are sad, go out to cut down a Christmas tree, it's cold, it's dark, they get lost and die of exposure or something else? In this instance, the fire is completely unrelated to the kid's disappearance. Which again, makes me think how can someone be that unlucky? But if you think about it, kind of fits in a way. They lived in a rural part of WV. I read about a little girl from a town away ten years before these kids died/went missing/ etc. She went into the woods in the winter to walk and play, disappeared, and a hunter found her bones years later. They knew it was her from a basket they found that she had been carrying. The weird part about this is that as soon as she went missing they hunted for her for weeks on end, people from town yelling for her, calling her name, no answer, nothing. And they find her when a hunter goes out and happens upon the bones. With it being such a rural area it's easy to get lost. And the Sodder children wouldn't have a bunch of people looking for them, they died in the fire, remember? Bones scattered by animals and winds, etc, it would be very lucky if anyone found them, the other girl's parents were lucky that most of her bones were there and her basket was still by the bones.

The "toy" theory --- Okay, no one seems to remember what kind of toys the kids recieved for Christmas from their older sister who worked at a five and dime. I was wondering if it is possible that the children got "war type toys". One weird thing was that the youngest daughter who survived the fire found what looked like a military pineapple in the rubble. It was partially melted. I wondered if the sister purchased military toys for the kids. Let's say one of two things, the kids get creative and set the toy on fire for real just to see what would happen and throw it, it lands on the roof, maybe they started the fire accidentally, and ran away, too scared to go back home. Or, if what the sister purchased was not actually a toy like she thought, and it was a real pineapple, the kids could have thrown it and started the fire again, accidentally. They could have become frightened and run into the woods and gotten lost, they could have run away thinking they killed their parents, etc...

The other family theory ---- Mrs. Sodder had the police go to Florida due to a report that family had her child. But they soon found out it was mistaken identity, another daughter, "Martha Lee", had the same name as George and Jennie's daughter, "Martha Lee". Some thoughts remain as to why Mrs. Sodder made the decision to point a finger, and why she might have reason to mistrust him in the first place.

I asked granddaughter about the fact that one of the boys had seen the children and tried to awaken them. She told us she had never heard that, and her mother said it wasn't true I am pretty sure. He never went into the room and tried to awaken the siblings. He ran from his own room that he shared with one brother, and they barely got out, their eyebrows had been badly singed. He didn't come out of the children's room, he came out of his own, and only had time to run down the stairs. His siblings, if they were indeed in the home, would have been in their own room.

I know some cases do have simple answers, but it doesn't feel right to me. When someone says just days before it happens, "your home will burn your kids will pay", it makes me thinks someone set this intentionally. Whether he took the kids away and did something with them remains to be seen. But surely, it shows someone caused the fire. When the cars won't start and the ladder is missing, it seems quite planned. So whether or not the kids died that night, to me, we are looking at kidnapping or murder. But not just an innocent fire that started on it's own.

We've had issues with Stacy Horn, haven't we? She said that this is what he swore to the police, but we have no proof of that, I think. Isn't that true granddaughter? he never swore that to the police.

Have there been issues with Stacy Horn? I was not aware... Has she been known to lie or falsify information?

According to her she got the information straight off of the actual paperwork. According to the things that she has written she seems to have had a decent relationship with Silvia Sodder.

...but, I could be wrong, as I know nothing about this Stacy Horn, personally...

It does seem that John was the only person in the immediate Sodder family that believed that the children did perish in the fire. From what I have read it seems that he was the one who told the "Unsolved Mysteries" people that he was not interested in them doing a story about the fire and mystery surrounding it. He also seems to be the only one whose obituary says that he had 5 siblings that passed away in a fire.

Again, I could be wrong as I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of any of this. I have heard, however, that NPR is fairly strict when it comes to the validity of what they report. So, I would think that before they were willing to air anything on this subject that they would have had Stacy Horn submit her documentation (or at least copies).

But, I could be totally wrong...

I'm not sure if this was ever posted or not but I thought now would be an appropriate time for this quote:

"In my thirty years experience in the fire service and ten years as the state fire marshal, we have never had a fatality in a fire that the entire body was consumed by the fire.." said Sterling Lewis, State Fire Marshal.

more at the link: http://wvnstv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=59384

There is also the report from the expert from the Smithsonian Institute that Mr. Sodder had do the excavation,(sorry I can't find his name at the moment but he had excellent credentials) in his professional opinion, the children did not perish in the fire. Last but not least, there was the Mortician, C.I. Dodd, who responded to the fire who said that he did not believe that the children died in the fire.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22973&highlight=Smithsonian&page=2

I have been involved since Shadowangel began this thread in 2005. I remember seeing the bilboard when I was a child and the memory stayed with me all of these years. I have gone over every piece of info that we have many times. I don't know what happened on that fateful night but I do not believe that the children died in the fire.

Okay if the brother really did go into the room that night and tried to awaken his siblings, than there is no question that the children died in the fire that night. But, if the other account is right that the two older boys ran out of their own room and down the stairs, barely surviving, then they never had the time to run to their siblings bedroom. That is the account of Mrs Sodder. She screamed for the children to come downstairs, and the two boys who slept in the other second floor bedroom, came running from their own room, their eyebrows getting singed on their mad dash downstairs.

In her account, neither of the boys ran out of their siblings room. Now... Unless you believe that one brother woke up to the fire, ran to save his siblings, could not awaken them, than went back into his own room, which does not make sense at all. Unless he didn't wake up the brother who slept in his own room until after he checked on the others in the second room. Again, it does not make any sense. If he smelled fire and had the sense to check on his younger siblings in the other room, why didn't he wake up the closest child which would be his brother who slept in the same room as him.

I'm not sure if this was ever posted or not but I thought now would be an appropriate time for this quote:

"In my thirty years experience in the fire service and ten years as the state fire marshal, we have never had a fatality in a fire that the entire body was consumed by the fire.." said Sterling Lewis, State Fire Marshal.

There is also the report from the expert from the Smithsonian Institute that Mr. Sodder had do the excavation,(sorry I can't find his name at the moment but he had excellent credentials) in his professional opinion, the children did not perish in the fire. Last but not least, there was the Mortician, C.I. Dodd, who responded to the fire who said that he did not believe that the children died in the fire.

I'm not trying to dismiss anything that has already been posted... But, I just took a second to do a Google search for "house fire + bones" and came up with several documented cases where the only think left after a house fire were bone fragments. One, in particular, is a case in England where the fragments were so small that they were missed by even the forensics experts who were serching the scene. The parents found a tiny fragment of skull and an equally small shard of backbone as they were tilling up the site in order to plant a garden in memory of their sons.

Also, keeping in mind that the original search for human remains was called off after a VERY short amount of time "due to the holidays." (I think that this is just about the most idiotic thing I have ever read, but oh well...) The Sodders were told to leave the area of the fire untouched as the searchers would be back to continue looking at a later date. In the meantime, Mr. Sodder bulldozed the entire area, thus contaminating the area.

Later when there was a proper excavation there were several tiny bones located, but Mr. Sodder refused to believe that they might be from his children because he said that they were in the wrong location. I wish to submit that because of the bulldozing there is no way to say where those bones originally came from.

I do think that this case was handled poorly, to say the least, but several aspects of the case have been resolved.

The man who was trying to rob the Sodders outbuilding the night of the fire said that he was the one who snipped the phone lines to the house, at the pole. This also explains the movement of the ladder.

The mystery call that Mrs. Sodder woke to was also investigated and it was found to have been just a wrong number dialed by a lady in their community.

I am not trying to say that I have explainations for all the odd happenings... I am not even claiming to have a knowledge of this case that is up to par with all my fellow posters... I am just playing Devil's Advocate and giving my opinion.

Okay if the brother really did go into the room that night and tried to awaken his siblings, than there is no question that the children died in the fire that night. But, if the other account is right that the two older boys ran out of their own room and down the stairs, barely surviving, then they never had the time to run to their siblings bedroom. That is the account of Mrs Sodder. She screamed for the children to come downstairs, and the two boys who slept in the other second floor bedroom, came running from their own room, their eyebrows getting singed on their mad dash downstairs.

Again, not to offend, but: If Mrs. Sodder was just screaming for her children from downstairs, how would she know what they were doing in those few seconds it took from them to get from thier room to downstairs?

Now, being the oldest of 5 children, I know what I would have done if I were John Sodder... I would have woken up the sibling I shared a room with and told him to wake up and get out. Then I would have gone to my siblings' room and done my best to get them out. But, who knows what really happened...

Stacy Horn states that she saw the statement in which John said that he tried to wake the children, and I really have no reason to not believe her... I mean, I am sure I would change my opinion if I were to hear that she has had issues of being less than honest, in the past...

I am basing a lot of my opinions on personal knowledge... Such as, I come from a family of lawyers and police... So, I know that 99% of the time, the statements that are made immediately following an incident are usually the most truthful and concise. (Granted, this is not always the case.)

I am also aware through on-going education in greif counceling (as I am in the death industry) that suicides will generally turn into murders at about the 2 year anniversary of the death. That is to say; if aloved one commits suicide, most people will accept that fact for about 2 years. For some reason at about the 2 year mark a large portion of survivors will start to honestly feel as if there was something far more nefarious at work. They will start to believe that thier loved one was murdered. I know this is an odd thing to say, and this does not refer to ALL people, but it is a studied fact...

This being said, from what I have read, it seems that the Sodder family was fairly quiet for about 2 years following the fire. (That is NOT to say that they were totally fine, or that they accepted that thier children died in the fire.) But, around the 2 year mark Mr. Sodder saw a photo of a little ballerina in a magazine and with that they started thier campaign to prove that their littles ones had not perished in the fire.

If I am getting any of the facts of this case incorrest, I would love to know... I am trying to not just blindly believe everything I read about this case. As example-- I read in one account (that was supposed to be taken directly from Jennie's 1st hand account) that she was sure that the fire was not electrical because the lights on the Christmas tree stayed lit as the house burnt to the ground... Well, everything else I have read has stated that there was no Christmas tree that year because they were waiting for brother Joe to come home...

Thanks!

Okay not trying to be rude or anything BUT, and this is a big BUT,

You say part of this whole case was resolved when the man who stole from the Sodder family admitted to cutting the phone line.

Let's talk about that.

So your telling me, a man went to steal from the Sodder family. He takes the ladder that is kept NEXT TO THE HOUSE, drags it up a hill, climbs it and cuts a phone line to the house, to steal stuff that probably cost all of 50 cents, as they say this man stole cheap stuff and only a small amount of stuff. Your telling me, to steal a small amount of cheap items, he went all the way to the house, borrowed the family ladder, climbed all the way up that ladder, risked his LIFE to cut the phone line in a STORM, to steal a small amount of cheap stuff.

Okay. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever. Did anyone else think this tidbit of information didn't seem to make any sense? he also left the ladder by the phone lines, right? So the one thing that probably cost more than anything else he stole that night, he left right there so the Sodder family could find it?

Than you expect me to believe, that after going to GREAT lengths to ensure he isn't caught, by cutting the phone lines so the family wouldn't be able to call the police, you expect me to believe this man just confesses to stealing the cheap items and cutting the phone lines so the family could not call the cops on him? He just admits it?

Something doesn't smell right to me. JMHO.

Well, concidering that the man that was arrested for the theft was reportedly someone who specialized in stealing things like car/truck engine & parts... and that the items that were supposedly taken that night were reportedly items that could/would be used in that endeavour... No, I don't find that odd.

Also, there is nothing to say that he was, at all, finished. He may have just been getting started. Whose to say that he didn't cut the phone line and gather what else he needed in preparation for stealing the Sodder's truck, or parts off of the truck? He could have been all set to get down to business when the fire started and bolted when he saw the flames, or heard Jennie Sodder screaming.

As to why he would just freely admit to taking a few small items from the Sodder home; If I were guilty of something like burglary and the police came to me talking about arson and murder... I would be quick to tell the truth about my little petty theft in order for the police to get whatever facts they needed to clear me of setting that fire.

Or, if you'd like; Perhaps the thief is the one who set the fire... Maybe he cut the phone line and then set the place ablaze. Then when the police came knocking on his door he decided that is was far better to admitt to being a thief and get a slap on the wrist, rather than being busted for arson and the resulting murders.

We all know that the police investigation was a joke, at best. No-one is saying that they didn't cut corners and gravitate toward whatever "facts" would make their investigation shorter and easier...

I'm not even saying that I am right. I wasn't there and unless there is some sort of miraculous, deathbed confession, I doubt any of us will EVER know what really happened that night. I think that debate is healthy, as long as no-one starts to take it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow