WV WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When my grandmother was living (an evil grandmother ) she often threatened my mother and siblings with the evil sodder man with a threatening warning for being good. Has anyone heard of the Burkes, Johnson's,or Tacketts associated with this case? My uncle Is going to try to find out tomorrow If there is a connection. He remembers vividly the threats Of the Sodder man, coming to get them, if they had not behaved. :(
He also remembers the mention of a fire, and the children going missing, hence the threats of being good. I live in the Southeastern Part of Ky, Pike County.

Hi Tulessa!
If you don't mind, it would be great to understand what you mean re the above post. The evil Sodder man... Are u referring to Mr. Sodder who lost his children? If so, why was he referred to as evil? Sounds like a possible connection with your family and the Burkes?

Sadly, this has already been done. I actually contacted a librarian there, she went through every magazine looking. Because, once I told her the story, she was hooked too. It's intriguing. But she found no such photo. And she looked in tons of them. She couldn't even find the right date, but tried other dates.

I haven't read anything about his thoughts, either; I was hoping to glean those from his daughter, but she understandably preferred not to share. Since he wasn't at the home at the time of the fire, he might not have been able to comment specifically on the events of that evening, but I'm sure he had his own guesses as to what happened.

By the way, if anyone has ideas on other old magazine issues to search for the potential photo of Betty Sodder that George Sodder thought he saw about a year after the fire, feel free to let me know. I live near Washington, D.C., and would be happy to visit the Library of Congress archives! This mystery has me fully in its grips :)

Maybe you could expound on the "evil Sodder man", and the rest of the names?

Bessie, that is all I know. Sadly my mom and all my elderly ancestors are deceased. :( I know that the Burke's and the Johnson's are family members, I just don't know where they originated from.

Sidekick, I'm not sure who they were referring to, I took it to mean that it was a way to make them be good. My Uncle said he used it on his own seven children, and it did the trick. I will try to find out more, to see if we are somehow related. When I saw the Sodder nic, it kinda threw me for a loop, and brought back scary childhood memories.

:seeya: I've spent hours reading about this story, and I've only made it about half way through. I had to search just to find this most recent thread. This story has really gripped my attention. Its fascinating and scary at the same time.

My father was the youngest of 9 children and while there isn't a strong resemblance, George and Jennie remind me of my grandparents. They also lived in a rural coal mining area.

That area is Central City, KY. I consider Central City my home, but really our family farm is in a small town about 8 miles from Central City. Most people consider the whole county their home town, which includes Greenville, Graham, Dunmor, Belton, Beechmont, Browder, Cleaton and several other small towns. Central City High School no longer exists, but the area has been converted into a community wellness center and I believe the old gym is now a museum. I haven't been there, but I may go have a look around soon. My parents go to the wellness center often. The high schools consolidated into Muhlenberg North and Muhlenberg South in 1992 when I was in the 7th grade.

While the photo allegedly of Louis in 1968 was postmarked from Central City, the person in the picture could have lived anywhere in the county. I don't personally recognize the person in the photo, but I plan to show the photo to some family members to see if they recognize him. My father was born about 6 years after the fire, but its possible one of my aunts or uncles may recognize the person. I can also ask them what the area was like back in the late 40s.

If anyone has questions you would like me to ask around, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I also don't mind getting verified, if necessary at some point.

Due to a case I started a thread on (which) I asked to be deleted, I'm kinda Leary about giving my location, but my entire family were in the coal mining industry. I live close to NC and Ky. VERY close.

I added a ballet photo in the case related photos file. You can find it on google by searching "betty sodder ballet". I can't remember where I first found it but I know that Betty is not supposed to be the main girl in the front right of the picture.

December 23, 2013
By Autumn D. F. Hopkins

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The name Sylvia Paxton may not ring a bell. Her face is probably unfamiliar.

But if you lived in Fayette County or traveled U.S. 19 in the nearly 40-year span of the early-1950s through the late 1980s, you probably recognize her maiden name -- Sodder. The solemn faces of her five siblings, frozen in time, may haunt your dreams.

Paxton, née Sodder, is the last known living survivor of the house fire that destroyed her family's home on Christmas Eve, 1945.

<snip>

New info for WS'rs:

In 1967 the Sodders received a letter from a woman in Houston. She said that one of the missing boys, Louis, had too much to drink one night and spilled an intriguing story of his true identity.

"She said the two oldest boys were living in Texas, so Mr. Sodder wanted to go," recalled Grover Paxton. "He [George Sodder] was really excited to get down there. We drove straight down."

But the trip turned into another effort in futility for the still grieving man. The woman who had written the letter was unavailable to speak with Mr. Sodder and his son-in-law. They spoke to local authorities who pointed them in the direction of the men in question, but they would never know her motive for writing the letter.

"I took him down there. We found the men and the oldest one especially looked like the family. They were the right age. The one that would have been Maurice's age was friendly, but said 'I wish I could help you but you have the wrong people.'"

The two men went on to insist to Mr. Paxton and Mr. Sodder that their families lived nearby.

Grover Paxton spoke of his father-in-law's disappointment in the fruitless trip: "I think there was always some doubt in his mind. He died shortly thereafter, in 1969, and I think he always wondered if those were his boys and if he'd made a mistake, leaving so quickly."

2 page article at the link :

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201312230105?page=1

Many Thanks to Autumn D. F. Hopkins for this article.

A belated Merry Christmas to all, and thanks to Shadow205 for reposting the article from the Charleston Gazette. I'm sorry I haven't visited the website in a while. It has been a very busy and difficult year for my family. My mom is still interested, of course, and we'll do our best to answer questions. Hope you have a blessed New Year!

I don't suppose there's any way to track down the name of either the woman who wrote the letter or the boys she was speaking of?

Just a couple of replies to a few things I saw in the above posts.

It may not have mattered. It took only 30 minutes for the home to be reduced to a pile of smoldering ashes.

ABOVE In red PROVES the house burned very HOT and very FAST which COULD potentially reduce the bodies to mostly ash and a few scattered bones.

As an engineer, I can tell you this is not true. I am just guessing but I would assume the house would be mostly wood. Everything has a combustion temperature. In other words if you wanted to build a fire that would melt iron, you have to use something that has a high combustion temperature, like coal coke. IOW, a wood fire would only reach a certain temperature. Most firemen will tell you that 99 times out of 100, no matter what, there are bones left.

A rather gross example is the death of Adolph Hitler, when he committed suicide, his aids dosed his body with gasoline and tried to completly dispose of it that way but it didn't work.

Another example is that of the nuts at Waco, TX who burned themselves up. all bodies were recovered there.

Even though some reports say that George Sodder stored tires and "drip-gasoline" in his basement, this would still not cause the bodies to reach a temperature where the bones would completly turn to ashes.

Even Mrs. Sodder experimented with various animal bones trying to burn them to the point of ashes and she was not successful.

Another misconception is that while it is said that the house burned up completly within 30 to 45 minutes. (Mr Sodder attributed this in part to the high winds at the time fanning the flames.) Some others have said that since the fire department didn't show up till 8 AM, the house actually burned all night and this is what caused the bones to burn up. This is not necessarily true. The house may have smoldered all night but there was no additional fuel(wood, paper, tires, gasoline, etc) to burn after the first 30 to 45 minutes. So the actual temperature of the fire was greatly reduced after all the fuel burned up in the first 30 to 45 minutes.

For proof of this, searchers of the debris the next morning found the remains of a dictionary that was usually kept in a closet of one of the boys room.

When my grandmother was living (an evil grandmother ) she often threatened my mother and siblings with the evil sodder man with a threatening warning for being good. Has anyone heard of the Burkes, Johnson's,or Tacketts associated with this case? My uncle Is going to try to find out tomorrow If there is a connection. He remembers vividly the threats Of the Sodder man, coming to get them, if they had not behaved. :(
He also remembers the mention of a fire, and the children going missing, hence the threats of being good. I live in the Southeastern Part of Ky, Pike County.

I have some information relating to the names you have listed.

Burkes: I don't have any info on this one.

Johnson: Lonnie Johnson is the name of the guy who was stealing a block and tackle out of Georges basement at the time of the fire. He was arrested and fined 25 dollars. He also confessed to cutting the phone lines. He testified at the coroners inquest that he thought he was cutting the power lines in case it was an electrical fire. I found him in ancestry.com and I'm looking up his relatives to see if they can give any insight as to his actions.

Tackett: In a series of documents originally posted by Granddaughter on 5-25-2008, a Col. W.T. Tackett is mentioned as the director of the Office of Public Safety. He conducted a hearing on the case on Feb. 5, 1952. See the original documents posted by Granddaughter.

An interesting note about Laura Beans post regarding the beef liver as being a calling card of the mafia.

In 1947, a local minister told the family the fire chief had told other residents he had found a heart in the debris of the fire. When the minister approached the chief, the chief said it was true that he had placed the heart in a box and buried it at the scene, but he would not say why he never told the Sodders of his find. When the Sodders asked the chief to help them locate the box, he was reluctant to do so but finally agreed to come. When family members, the private detective and others dug up a sealed dynamite box the chief identified as the one he had used to contain heart, they had the contents examined by a funeral director in Montgomery. He identified the contents as a beef liver, a fresh one that had never been exposed to fire.

Above - Possible calling card for the mafia?

In a summary report from the State Fire Marshal's office from 1952, there is a statement from Jimmy Cipriani, who was Jennie Sodders brother. The report says this:

" Jimmie Cipriania states that he first knew of the fire when Frienzo Janutolo called him at his house in Montgomery, W.Va.. He arrived at the scene about 10:00 A.M. Some Italian, unknown to him, showed him something in a tub with paper which appeared to him to be several joints of a back-bone approximately 18 inches long AND POSSIBLY PART OF A LIVER. The liver or mass of flesh appeared to have been attached to the bones. He does not know what he saw or where it came from. The person who showed it to him made no comment or explanation."

Does this back up Laura's claim of a calling card of the mafia?

A lot or a little could be inferred from this whole thing. It looks more and more upon an examination of the direct-evidence as well as considering and giving some weight to all the circumstantial evidence,that the fire was probably arson.

Re: the bones burning and not being found...

I read, I believe in these threads or in the somewhat recent article published regarding this case that the family home had two coal burning furnaces in the basement.

The fire was left to burn all night. The house fell into the basement and still smoldered. From what I understand about how hot coal burns, if the bodies had fallen into the basement with the remnants of the house, the bones could have been consumed.

IMO, it wasn't a "normal" house fire where remains would be expected to be found. The basement contained hot burning coal and the fire was allowed to burn for hours. I think it's plausible that the bodies were at the site and covered over when the investigators failed to return as promised, and the father had the basement hole filled in and turned into a grave/shrine for his children.

ETA: here are some comments I made on another site regarding this case, which I basically just stated above, but I wrote the following soon after reading the info and the case details were still fresh in my mind.

This thread has an article and link to the blog of the author with even more info that she didn't have time to include, plus there are links to discussions over at websleuths.

IMO, the kids likely died in the fire. I learned that children's bones don't take as much heat or time to be destroyed in a fire or cremated.

Normally, house fires don't burn long enough or hot enough to destroy bodies completely, but I read an article that the Sodder home was heated with two coal stoves. The house caught on fire about midnight and burned all night long, with the entire house collapsing into the basement.

If there was a pile of coal stored in the basement to keep the stoves working, I can see where the remains could be destroyed, since coal burns hot enough to do that and the fire lasted for about 8 hours. The authorities ignored the family. After almost a week of being open to the winter elements, the father bulldozed over the basement and made it into a grave/shrine for the kids.

IMO, it was an arson, set by the man who cut the Sodder's phone line at the top of the pole, then proceeded to steal some very large tools (a couple of chain falls or chain hoist type set ups, iirc) from their garage while the survivors were running around the outside of the house trying to get to the upstairs and get the kids out of their room.

I feel like the sightings of the kids were false leads. They were all reported by people who had never met the family and were just going by photos shown in the news.

You could be right if there was a large coal pile in the basement. that could create a fire that could burn long enough and possibly hot enough depending on how much coal there was and where it was located in terms of where the bodies may have fallen into the basement.

I thought Mr. Sodder used the basement as a garage or repair shop for his trucking business.

Is there any evidence of there being a coal pile in the basement?

Is there any evidence of there being a coal pile in the basement?

RSBM

JMO, with them living in coal mining territory, old homes having coal chutes into the basement for the coal truck to deliver coal through, and it being winter, it's a reasonable assumption. But there's no evidence that I recall ATM.

I think I read about the two coal stoves being used to heat the house either in the threads here or in an article that was linked here. I'll have to go back through and check.

Stacy Horn's blog post about the Sodders. This may have been linked here before, I can't remember. She did an 8 minute NPR report on this case a few years ago and wanted to add more info in the blog post:

http://www.echonyc.com/~horn/stacy/?p=80

Excerpt:

All the newspaper stories in the past seem to be weighted towards the conclusion that the children did not die in the fire. But I found just as much information to indicate that they did.

I need to take the time to read back through all the Sodder case threads here. I can't do it right now tho. Three years ago, I was not a member here and could not use the search function. As the the discussion threads closed here, I was unable to find the link to thread #3 at the time, and here we are now on thread #4. This is what I wrote on another discussion forum after a WS member there gave me the links so I could read all the info that had been posted up to that time (december 2011), and I still didn't know where I'd read the info that the house had coal burning stoves. I'm hoping to read through all the threads and links here at WS and see if that's where I got that info.

---

I think the children probably died in the fire.

I wanted to know why no remains were found, since a house fire is unlikely to destroy every sign of them. I did learn that children's bones don't take as much time and heat to disintegrate as those of an adult. Their bones aren't as dense so less remains in a fire would not be unusual. But other house fires have left very large amounts of remains so this would all depend on the circumstances.

I found (can't remember where) information that said the Sodder house was heated with two coal stoves. Coal burns very hot, and depending on the circumstances, could greatly reduce the amount of remains. For example if coal was stored in the basement, then the house with the children's bodies inside collapsed into the basement, then the house was left to burn all night (as it was, since the fire department opted to sit this one out), the bodies would then be in close proximity to the very hot burning pile of coal for hours. I can see where this could have been what happened.

On top of that info, there is no doubt there was planted evidence and a poorly conducted initial search. [During the second search in 1949, they did not screen for small bone fragments or teeth, as they should have, imo, as it seems they were only looking for large portions of remains.] I don't think there were a lot of remains left, maybe teeth and fragments of the larger or more dense bones. After nearly a week of no officials inspecting the site, after promising they would, Mr. Sodder bulldozed over what was left of the house, with the children inside, and made a burial site.

I don't believe the sighting of a child or all the children watching the fire from a taxi. [It had been mentioned in another thread here at WS that some bar patrons heard about the fire, got into a taxi, and drove out to the house to watch it burn.] And I have to discount the sightings of the children after the fire.

These sightings by motel clerks (sighting of one child and of four children) and in FL, someone over hearing a person in a TX border town call another "maurice sodder", etc, were reported way after the fact and done by people who had never met the children.

The photo of the NY school girl in a magazine, as seen by Mr. Sodder, is a look alike, imo. The children were 100% italian, both their parents were born in italy. NY has a huge italian population. Dark haired, dark eyed little girls pictured in black and white photographs can look very much alike.

The photo of "Louis Sodder" sent to the family in 1968 is probably a hoax. A detective magazine had just done a story on the case and within months, the photo is mailed to Mrs. Sodder. It may have been an attempt to help or it may have been a cruel prank, but IMO, it was instigated by the magazine article.

The stories of the mafia or relatives kidnapping the children due to feuds or business intimidation are gossip, imo. If the mafia wanted to intimidate Mr. Sodder, there are better ways than to abduct 5 of his children.

The stories of the children being shuffled off to Italy are also just gossip, imo. IIRC, those stories got started after the billboard went up several years after the fire. IMO, Italy had just come out of a devastating war and those folks were having enough trouble taking care of their own without importing 5 children to feed, clothe, and house. Not to mention the amount of travel required to move the kids half way around the world in the winter. Such an act would have required a network of conspirators, getting the kid's birth certificates and any other papers required for travel and immigration into a foreign country. These kids were all americans, all born in the US. Their only ties to Italy were their parents' extended family. There would be a lot of work involved in getting them out of the US and into another country. Why would someone do that?

Next is the theory that they were kidnapped by an illegal adoption ring. Some, if not all, of the kids were too old for that, and what a weird night to be stealing kids: very cold, high winds, christmas eve, and taken straight from the house while the parents were home. I believe there would have been better opportunities than this one, if illegal adoption kidnappers wanted these kids. Adopting out the older kids for labor might have happened, but again, right after WWII, I think people were just doing their best to take care of themselves without taking on little kids as "labor". Only the 12 y/o girl and 14 y/o boy would be useful for this purpose. The other children would probably be a financial burden until they got older.

The source of the fire, IMO is arson. I don't think it could have been the wiring, even though it's suspected. The family had their wiring recently changed with the installation of a new electric stove and there'd been a strange man commenting on their fuse box a few days prior to the fire. BUT, if the wiring had been at fault, the lights wouldn't have been on in the house, and the house stayed lit, which is how the family was able to get out.

There were corrupt local politics in town and unions/mob/coal wars were going on. At least one man made threats against the family, and then there's the guy who cut the phone line and was stealing equipment the night of the fire. All these could have been situations that resulted in an arson.

I think the intent was to burn down the house with the whole family inside, but some of them escaped. IMO, the best suspect is the thief, who admitted to cutting their electric lines. He only cut the phone line by mistake. (I have no idea why this doofus didn't notice that he'd cut the wrong wires. Cutting live power lines at the top of the pole would have electrocuted him. Maybe he lied and meant to cut the phone line all along, so they couldn't call for help.)

If the thief wasn't an arsonist, what is the likelihood that all these events come into play? It's christmas eve, a monday night, the family's home accidentally catches on fire (or is firebombed by enemies) and in the middle of the night, in this bitterly cold weather, with the house blazing, this man happens by, cuts their phone line, and starts hauling stuff out of the garage?

Now, if the scenario was that the house was on fire, it drew a crowd, and he took the opportunity to steal while everyone's attention was on saving the kids/watching the fire, I could see where he wouldn't be the arsonist. But he cut their phone lines and stole from them. He planned to be there, it wasn't a crime of opportunity.

I agree with many things you have said here. You offer some insightful ideas and some pretty good speculation.
Regarding the coal stove. It is contained in the fire marshal&#8217;s report that there were two stoves in the house but that report doesn&#8217;t say what type of fule they used. But most stoves of the time were able to burn coal so I think it&#8217;s a good assumption that they were coal stoves. They key to whether or not the bodies were consumed totally by a long burning coal fire would be:
A. The location of the bodies in relation to the heat source
B. The amount of coal kept in the basement
C. If the coal was stored in the basement or stored outside.
Regarding the whole taxi thing, Mariann said in her statement from 1968 that the guy who stole the stuff from the Sodder&#8217;s garage, who was named Lonnie Johnson, had a taxi waiting from him that night.
There is also mention in the state fire Marshal&#8217;s report that four people, who were on their way home from a bar. It is possibly the same bar that was owned and/or operated by this Lonnie Johnson and Dave Adkins (Who Mr. Sodder also got an arrest warrant for for stealing). The bar was called The Grass Spot or Skirt or something.
I think it may be possible that these four people left the bar, and possibly being drunk, took a taxi. And then seeing the fire, stopped to watch it.the two women, Peggy Price and Virginia Buckland, once told of seeing a child at the window of one of the bedrooms but they later denied it. These four people later gave statements to the state police as witnesses. That would explain the presence of a taxi at the fire. I wish I could find the name of the taxi driver.
I agree with you about the kidnapping theory. The logistics would have to have been extensive to make this happen and involved a vast conspiracy. From the statements given at the time, it appears if there was arson, it was based on one or more attempts to extort money from Mr. Sodder who was apparently becoming successful in his trucking business.
I did a little more research on the current process of cremation and found that even with a fire over 2000 degrees, there are still normally large bone fragments left and these are handled by a device known as a cremulator. See the following excerpt from Wikipedia:
Contrary to popular belief, the cremated remains are not ashes in the usual sense. After the incineration is completed, the dry bone fragments are swept out of the retort and pulverised by a machine called a Cremulator &#8212; essentially a high-capacity, high-speed blender &#8212; to process them into "ashes" or "cremated remains",[11][12] although pulverisation may also be performed by hand. This leaves the bone with a fine sand like texture and color, able to be scattered without need for mixing with any foreign matter,[13] though the size of the grain varies depending on the Cremulator used. Their weight is approximately 4 pounds (1.8 kg) for adult human females and 6 pounds (2.7 kg) for adult human males. There are various types of Cremulators, including rotating devices, grinders, and older models using heavy metal balls.[14]
The grinding process typically takes about 20 minutes. In a Japanese funeral and in Taiwan, the bones are not pulverised, unless requested beforehand. When not pulverised, the bones are collected by the family and stored as one might do with ashes.
The appearance of cremated remains after grinding is one of the reasons they are called ashes, although a non-technical term sometimes used is "cremains",[15][16] a portmanteau of "cremated" and "remains". (The Cremation Association of North America prefers that the word "cremains" not be used for referring to "human cremated remains." The reason given is that "cremains" is thought to have less connection with the deceased, whereas a loved one's "cremated remains" has a more identifiable human connection.[17])
After final grinding, the ashes are placed in a container, which can be anything from a simple cardboard box to a decorative urn. The default container used by most crematoriums, when nothing more expensive has been selected, is usually a hinged, snap-locking plastic box.
But, you are right that for children, there is a likelihood that there would not be as much remaining, than there would if an adult died in a fire.
The motel clerk sighting and story could be exaggerated but the level of detail in the woman&#8217;s statement and the fact that she signed a statement at all, to me, gives it veracity. I wish more information would be available here. I think her name was Ida Crutchfield. I am looking her up in Ancestry.com to try and find descendants of hers to see if more information exists.
I completely agree with you about both photos of the NY school girl and the older Louis Sodder photo. I think concerning the latter, by the fact that the woman who first sent the letter refused to meet with the Sodders when they went there shows that maybe they did it as a hoax and then when they showed up there, they couldn&#8217;t face them.
But here&#8217;s where I disagree, I wouldn&#8217;t be so quick to discount a &#8220;mafia&#8221; connection at least to the extent of burning the house. I don&#8217;t know if you are from this area or not. I have lived within 25 miles of Fayetteville for most of my life. And this Town, together with other Fayette County towns like Boomer, Alloy, Smithers, and Montgomery (All of which are within 20 miles of each other) are well known for a strong, but well concealed mafia presence. Not like the typical gangster thing with Al Capone and machine guns and such, but still controlling things such as illegal gambling, prostitution, football betting, parley cards, pinball machines, juke boxes, trucking, etc. And, every once in a while, someone in the area, just simply disappears. And it later comes out that they have been involved in some of the things I&#8217;ve listed above.
Just to give you an idea of the extent of this presence, my former father-in-law was employed in law enforcement in Fayette County for nearly 40 years. And his father before him was the sheriff of the county. Back in the 1980&#8217;s, when a local tavern/bar/club/house of prostitution owner in Smithers died, my father-in-law was contacted by the FBI and was put in charge of driving them to the cemetery so they could video tape the funeral. He told me that during the funeral, he had never seen so many dark silk suits in his life. He said you could tell the difference between the locals and the mob presence just by the way they were dressed. He also said that towards the end of the ceremony, three individuals each placed a single rose on the casket of this tavern owner. And it wasn&#8217;t for the Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost. The FBI said those three men represented New York, New Jersey, and Chicago.
Also, it&#8217;s well known that if live in West Virginia and you ever decide to kill someone, Fayette County is the place to go. They have more un-solved homicides/rapes/kidnappings, than nearly any other county in WV.
I think that considering the following:
1. What is contained in the statements made at the time from witnesses concerning fireballs being thrown on the roof.

2. Statements from Mariann Sodder about the Fayette Co. prosecutor who refused to even interview or question people who were possibly involved in the case.

3. The threats made:
A. By the man who was a co-signer on the loan Mr. Sodder took out to buy his house concerning Mr. Sodders refusal to increase the insurance on his house.
B. By the same man who Mr. Sodders refused to settle his wife&#8217;s father&#8217;s estate that somehow involved this man.
C. The same man who told Mr. Sodder that he had better stop criticizing Benito Mussolini.
D. The same man that Mr. Sodder used to work for.

4. The false evidence found in the ashes that were admittedly placed there by the fire chief (Who was employed at the time as a book keeper by the same man who threated Mr. Sodder with a burned house if he didn&#8217;t take out the additional life insurance).

5. The other false evidence of un-scorched bones found in the fire ashes. That were also determined to be of the wrong age to match on of the boys.

6. The questionable actions by the fire chief and some of the other fire department members.

7. The same man who made the threats to Mr. Sodder and who ended up as the head juror at the corner&#8217;s inquest. He was obviously in a position there to either direct or limit the discussion about what could have happened at the fire.
There is enough here to say that there is a strong likelihood that the fire was intentionally set. Yes, it would be nice to find someone who would come right out and admit they did it but that&#8217;s not going to happen.
So, I think the guy who admitted to cutting phone wires is too low level to be the mastermind and what would be his motive? To steal some chains from the garage? Obviously, Janutolo had strong motive (financial and political), means (Again, financial), and opportunity to do this and/or direct someone to do it.

I don't find anything odd about some of the family surviving the fire while others perished. As another poster commented, it happens all the time. The only thing I find odd is that those who are assumed to have perished are the children who were still awake. Normally you would expect the most likely folks to perish in a fire would be those sound asleep in an upstairs room, not the folks who are awake and alert. I can't explain it and I don't know if the missing children died or not, I think it's likely they did and those looking through the rubble didn't know how to identify cremated remains. I think if the missing children had been those who were sound asleep when the fire started, we would probably conclude they perished. Because the missing children were presumably awake and walking about when the fire started, it casts some doubt on their fate.

I looked into this a little more and being an engineer, I approached it from a statistical point of view.

Out of a total of nine children in the house that night, the chance that the five children who died/disappeared in fire being the exact same five who stayed awake to play with their toys is 0.79%.

That alone tells you that something odd happened between the time the mother went to bed and the fire happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16
Back