WV - Teacher swipes mic from autistic boy set to perform in Thanksgiving play

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something tells me the teacher is probably going to resign from all the backlash going on.

Even people who stand up for her are going to back down because they do not want to be shamed like her. See that happen all the time.

Shaming is a domino effect. The person offender is first to get hit very hard and are subject to vicious insults and shaming of every kind one can imagine. Than anyone connected to that person are hit hard as well and they get shamed as well. In the end, they are all tarred and humiliated.

Jon Ronson: what it's like to be publicly shamed
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations/8019706

Makes me think of Steve Bartman. He had to go into total obscurity. I admire him for not taking any of the "bait" that's been dangled out to him over the past 13 years.

Seems to me that the parents are 95% to blame in this whole debacle. They didn't take their child to any of the rehearsals?? Well gosh--what could possibly go wrong? In the interview the mother gave after this happened, she claims her son was so excited to be in the play and say his line: "gobble, gobble, gobble." When was he scheduled to say that? At the 6 minute mark when he says "I've got a line!"? Or at the 8:12 mark when he says : Ouch, Ouch Ouch!" Or was he really suppose to say it at the end, like his mother claims----after the other 2 children say their lines "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Thank you for coming" Those 2 lines seem to indicate the END of the play. If he was actually suppose to say: gobble, gobble, gobble at the very end, indeed---why would that teacher take the mic away? I get the feeling he wasn't scheduled to say anything more so that's why the teacher took the mic. The problem is the way she did it. She could have approached the stage, taken the mic and whispered to him "The play is over, please leave the stage and go down the steps". Just snatching the mic like that, walking away and leaving him crying, was nasty. Clearly he wasn't prepared at all to be in this play. The children portraying pilgrims had white collar/chest pieces on and the children portraying Indians had tan collar/chest pieces with fringe on. He had the tan collar/chest piece pulled up around his face. I take it that was a last minute effort to make him look like a turkey. The parents knew about this play and yet didn't bring him to rehearsals to prepare him. That's on them---not the school or the teacher.

Oh brother. The father's petition. I did take some time to glance through pages of signatures (not all 9K signatures, but a representative sample) and found many of them to be in the UK and I don't think I saw a single one from his school.

I wonder if they've had a meeting with the family, with a school district attorney present. Now would be the time.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/717/...ey-of-west-virginia-primary-school-to-resign/

I am not sure WS allows me to post the FB pages of the parents, but the dad has a previous video (@ Aug 18, I believe) of Caleb learning some rules for the classroom. It shows his inability to be still and struggles to stay appropriate.

Other articles and wordpress posts have said the costume was not supposed to even be a turkey ... he was supposed to be a Native American. If so, then "gobble, gobble" was not likely intended as a part of the play.

Even I over-reacted at the very first short clip video. Over time, I have realized we did not know the whole story and both sides may have had good intentions. The boy clearly needs structure and preparation that was not provided.

Is it all right to post this link? I do not know if it is an approved WS link, remove if needed:
Caleb does his "gobble, gobble" video:
http://pickle.nine.com.au/2016/11/1...lly-able-to-deliver-thanksgiving-pageant-line

JMO

Oh brother. The father's petition. I did take some time to glance through pages of signatures (not all 9K signatures, but a representative sample) and found many of them to be in the UK and I don't think I saw a single one from his school.

I wonder if they've had a meeting with the family, with a school district attorney present. Now would be the time.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/717/...ey-of-west-virginia-primary-school-to-resign/

Many of the people signing are teachers or parents of autistic kids, who feel if she treats a special needs child this way in front of a group, how does she treat them in the classroom.

I have mixed emotions, but watching the short clip again, it does bother me that she seems so pleased with herself--and doesn't care that the student is in tears.

Many of the people signing are teachers or parents of autistic kids, who feel if she treats a special needs child this way in front of a group, how does she treat them in the classroom.

I have mixed emotions, but watching the short clip again, it does bother me that she seems so pleased with herself--and doesn't care that the student is in tears.

She was in charge of the play - I don't know if her facial expression was just one of relief and pride that it all came together. It was clearly the end of the play - and Caleb had been wandering the stage for sometime - I'm not sure she really fully understood he was there to speak again.

I did see on the school's website the first grade performance was to be Nov. 15 and 17th. I wonder what happened on the 17th.

It is wrenching to see his little face, so I agree on that front. Watching the last few seconds of the video is certainly hard.

making a mountain out of an ant hill,

if this teacher is served any punishment whatsoever i have lost all faith in humanity,

absolutely rediculous the crap people stir up these days

making a mountain out of an ant hill,

if this teacher is served any punishment whatsoever i have lost all faith in humanity,

absolutely rediculous the crap people stir up these days

Not as ridiculous as the Autism deniers that think the behavior comes from bad parenting.

Not as ridiculous as the Autism deniers that think the behavior comes from bad parenting.

The fact that the parents did NOT take him to rehearsals, and then expect him to be allowed to do whatever he wants DOES make for bad parenting. Has nothing to do with the 'mild autism' they themselves admit he has. Sometimes its doesn't matter if its Autism or any other 'affliction', parenting standards have to adapt and parents need to take responsibility for their children. It does not give anyone a 'golden ticket' to behavior that then affects others. This teacher MAY have overreacted and been harsh, and the first video i saw only showed the 'short' ending, once I saw that the boy in question actually delivered MORE lines and just WANTED to go again, should we then allow ALL the 6 yr olds to go again... and again.... and again.... because to a parent, they are all 'special'. The line MUST be drawn somewhere.

Yes - and I think the line REALLY needs to be drawn somewhere on the internet so people's lives don't get ruined over some misleading piece of information.

Why are we so addicted to our anger that we will turn on someone unknown to us, and demand her firing or worse her death? Wow!!

This keeps happening and happening. The focus of an angry hostile uninformed mob flashes on some unsuspecting and usually undeserving soul.

I'd like to see people who start this be held liable for damages.

I do see that someone came in and cleaned up that Care2 petition so at least it makes sense.

Yes - and I think the line REALLY needs to be drawn somewhere on the internet so people's lives don't get ruined over some misleading piece of information.

Why are we so addicted to our anger that we will turn on someone unknown to us, and demand her firing or worse her death? Wow!!

This keeps happening and happening. The focus of an angry hostile uninformed mob flashes on some unsuspecting and usually undeserving soul.

I'd like to see people who start this be held liable for damages.

I do see that someone came in and cleaned up that Care2 petition so at least it makes sense.

Let's see society is more angry and divided than ever.

There is nothing you can really do about this. Like I said it is a domino effect.

Even people siding with her are backing down knowing they are getting shamed as well. People are attacking her appearance and it can destroy their psyche.

this story is only one very small example of why i choose not to use any form of social media....it does more harm to society then it does good

What is it that this teacher did that people are calling for her to be fired? I have even seen comments that she should be tarred and feathered!!

Is it the mean look on her face? I don't get it.

Do people not realize teachers act like that everyday in every school... And much worse than that I might add.

i guess nobody here has ever had a meter stick smashed over your fingers or a book thrown at your head by a teacher?

Toughen up. Holy cow!

If you nodded off in my 10th grade History class you would awaken by sound of Mr. G's artificial/ prostetic (sp)? Bottom half of his leg, sock & shoe included. :)

I do not agree with how she treated the boy. I do not agree that a child with special needs should be castigated for his behavior on stage, He is six years old.

It is a stupid play that is totally inappropriate with Native American stereotypes,

The parents sound totally entitled . I agree that her life should not be ruined over these demanding parents.

The internet has become a great source of problems.

On the petition, 2 completely different names are given for the teacher. I will not state either one of them on yet another forum, but obviously two people are being dragged through the mud and one of them probably had nothing at all to do with it.

I see this as a teaching opportunity. Rehearsals are held for a reason. He should have attended the rehearsals so he knew exactly what to do and what to expect and what his role was. His parents were responsible for ensuring he attended the rehearsals if they weren't held during regular school hours, and it sounds like they didn't ensure his attendance. So they set him up for failure and, as a result, the teachers too.

I still feel the teacher could have and should have handled it more kindly. She could have taken the microphone but said something. I mentioned that earlier in the thread. I continue to think this is a teachable moment for many. I don't think this teacher needs to be fired and certainly doesn't need the internet mobs armed against her.

It's also obvious that not everyone should be a parent, and that many adults need some empathy training and education about disabilities. And just plain compassion. It's severely lacking in some folks.

And one more thing. The good old days weren't that good, people. There was abuse, incest, violence, crime, diseases, environmental problems, etc, then too. Tons of students fell through the cracks because they didn't learn in the style the way traditional school was set up. No generation was "better" than others. Life and the world changes. Sometimes for the better, other times not. But I sure as heck don't feel like celebrating that people back in the day were allowed to beat their children. Do people really think there weren't repercussions for those actions?

Wow, this thread is going faster than I can read it. Why is it that every incident in our lives needs to be blasted on social media for everyone and their brother to have an opinion on. This has been taken way out of proportion, imo. Parents, your kids really don't want to have videos of themselves in uncomfortable situations out there for all the world to see. Sheesh, think for a minute.
jmo and have an nice day

On the petition, 2 completely different names are given for the teacher. I will not state either one of them on yet another forum, but obviously two people are being dragged through the mud and one of them probably had nothing at all to do with it.

The teacher who was identified by first and last name works in a different district. SMH

Wow, this thread is going faster than I can read it. Why is it that every incident in our lives needs to be blasted on social media for everyone and their brother to have an opinion on. This has been taken way out of proportion, imo. Parents, your kids really don't want to have videos of themselves in uncomfortable situations out there for all the world to see. Sheesh, think for a minute.
jmo and have an nice day

:loveyou: for your comments. Seriously, who has created the bigger "humiliation" (ridiculous adjective for "disappointment" in this case) for the child? - His parent who posted the video and boohooed about a perceived slight.

He was disappointed by what happened on stage, but he could feel humiliated by his knowing that his friends/schoolmates and the world at large being able to loop that bit repeatedly and make a meme out of it. Last thing I'd EVER want as a child or as an adult, is my face or reaction being out there without my permission to be made fun of. Way to go parents. It used to be the horror of Mom trotting out the scrapbook for your dates of your babyhood bare bottom on a rug. That was nothing compared to today's exposures on the internet. Exposures (exploitation?) of your precious child's vulnerabilities or less-than-optimal behavior live on forever. Whew. I feel sorry for that kid now.

Not every little disappointment of your child is a major, life-changing event or worthy of a payday lawsuit or petition for blood or career devastation.

It gets more nauseating with every instance of a perceived slight posted on social media then becoming allegedly newsworthy.

IF (I see conflicting info) mom and dad couldn't be bothered to have junior show up for rehearsals, it could explain why they aren't equipped to guide their child through his disappointment PRIVATELY. Some people prefer to set something in motion, then sit back while a multitude of uninformed strangers do their dirty work for them.

Yeah, I'm very opinionated at times. The rest of the time, I'm slightly opinionated.

Technically, public shaming of private individuals is against Facebook's "Community Standards," but I find that laughable.

https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards#

(scroll down and click on "Bullying and Harassment" on the right side)

I'm guessing they don't care to police it because it generates so much traffic. Facebook is THE bully pulpit of the 21st century. I know a lot of people who are posting some sort of "outrage" almost daily. How does this teach our children to be resilient? Why do we want to teach them that something crappy should never happen to you (and if it does, your focus should be on revenge)? Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath, set a good example for those who are looking up to you, and say, "I am above this. I will not allow this to derail me."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindzk86
Back