WY WY - Austin King, 22, Yellowstone National Park, Eagle Peak, 17 Sept 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm going to put out a naive, inexpert question here - Are there grizzlies at these elevations? Or are the grizzlies lower down below?
Looking at these photos it just seems difficult to believe that grizzlies would be up in that area.
edit to add last sentence for relevancy

I doubt there are bears anywhere near the peak of this mountain. SAR teams have not reported any evidence. However, just east of Eagle Peak is Shoshone National Forest where grizzly attacks have occurred as recently as 2022 and 2023. The following is an account of two young men attacked just southeast of Yellowstone in 2022. Grizzly bear attacks two college wrestlers 10/17/22 Shoshone

What time did he announce that he was at the summit? I read upthread that it was later in the day (??), bad weather and too late to return to his camp, but not impossible to camp overnight?

Esther Dingley vanished hiking the pyrenees peaks with what seemed like an off-route, and she was eventually found near the top of the mountain. She must have been caught in the weather, sought refuge, failed. Birds helped locate the remains.

@RedHaus and @otto, I think you were both posting on Esther’s thread?

Someone on her thread recommended the book Where You’ll Find Me: Risk, Decisions, and the Last Climb of Kate Matrosova by Ty Gagne. I think it was you, @RedHaus?

A great read, and a window into what leads to a high country tragedy, how and why SAR responds, and some background information on all aspects involved.

One part of the book that was fascinating to me was what happens to our decision-making process when our expectations of what we want to achieve and disappointments at previous ventures come into play almost subconsciously.

I think AK was unprepared in many ways for what he encountered on this trip. AK experienced rain and frigid temperatures growing up in Minnesota, but dealing with those factors near civilization is far different than doing it in mountain country.

Kids and young adults come from all over to work for national park concessionaires, and many of those kids have never been out of urban areas prior to their park employment. Which generally translates to little outdoor experience with weather patterns, wild animals, and the vastness of the wilderness.

I think AK was very inexperienced with the kind of trek he undertook, and continuing to summit a mountain that didn’t have clearly marked trails in inclement weather and fading light would have been a problem for experienced people, as well.

The story of Matrosova, who was an avid mountaineer, is one such example.

Even yet, I’m praying for a miracle for AK and his family.

(edited to fix an antecedent problem)

@RedHaus and @otto, I think you were both posting on Esther’s thread?

Someone on her thread recommended the book Where You’ll Find Me: Risk, Decisions, and the Last Climb of Kate Matrosova by Ty Gagne. I think it was you, @RedHaus?
RSBM
Hi @windrower! Looks like we have an "ED Reunion" going on. There may be others here. Not surprising given the similarities between these tragic cases. I sure hope AK's mystery does not extend for as long as ED's. And I too am still holding out hope for AK's safe return.

It was not me who recommended Ty Gagne's book on Kate Matrosova in NH. But at the time it prompted me to research her case and I finally just ordered the book! Perhaps @RickshawFan suggested that book on the ED thread?

Another awesome book was suggested on this thread that I just ordered as well: Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite, by Ghiglieri and Farabee: "Gripping account of all known mishaps in America's first protected land of scenic wonders."

Like you, I am amazed by how the human brain can play tricks with logic and reason in the face of severe risks to our wellbeing. To have no mountaineering experience and to summit Eagle Peak as the sun set (~7:30pm 9/17) with severe weather conditions (~37°F, fog, wind, sleet), IMO, AK must have been strongly motivated by something compelling.

I continue to pray for the best outcome for AK.

IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ray@Payton
Back