WY WY - Austin King, 22, Yellowstone National Park, Eagle Peak, 17 Sept 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can you all please look here? I see what looks like footprints. The lines of marks are too straight to be natural. Original and zoomed in section.
I don't know how to indicate with red circles.
There are two lines of "prints" on that snowy slope. One fairly central and the other up the slope, both traversing that slope.
They may be of searchers...?

eta: I went ahead and sent this to the email address. Just in case, you never know.
Excellent find @whitelilac ! I do see the tracks. My guess from the meandering prints that it was from a searcher or an animal (with melting around the prints that makes the prints appear larger).

That said, I do recall SAR (or Dad) reporting they had 'found prints'. We don't know where... and until now I've thought they were prints in mud or sand, since it was not snowing (yet) when AK summited. But if AK bivouacked overnight before attempting decent, he likely woke to fresh snow to trek through. Thank you for submitting to the NPS!!

Go team Websleuths! :)

Rescuers or not, no way to tell :(

Attachments

• Below Rescuer Eagle Peak Search & Rescue searcher on southwest ridge of Eagle Peak .png
    Below Rescuer Eagle Peak Search & Rescue searcher on southwest ridge of Eagle Peak .png
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • Down Right Eagle Peak Search & Rescue searcher on southwest ridge of Eagle Peak.png
    Down Right Eagle Peak Search & Rescue searcher on southwest ridge of Eagle Peak.png
    540.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Low Center Eagle Peak Search & Rescue searcher on southwest ridge of Eagle Peak.png
    Low Center Eagle Peak Search & Rescue searcher on southwest ridge of Eagle Peak.png
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 22
Welcome @Boots38.

FWIW, more current reporting states AK placed his calls to his Mom and friend at 7:30pm, 9/17. Sunset at the Yellowstone Airport was at ~7:27pm IRRC. And he must have known about the inclement (cold and wet) weather setting in. Given those facts, what's your assessment of AK's preparedness for his summit of a trecherous peak?
I'm not making assessments on his preparedness,this trip was very important to him. To the point he had it all written down and was showing everyone his plans. I believe he was as prepared as possible for something he was very excited about. Accidents happen, monsters happen, and no level of preparedness is going to keep people safe all the time. MOO ..

If you're somewhere to do a 7 day trip and have a camp site there is obviously an excellent reasoning for not having all your personal belongings with you when setting out for a hike to the summit of Eagle Peak. Why carry every single item you brought for a 7day camping trip to the top of the peak? No one would do this it would be way too much work to carry so much added weight. He placed a call to family at 7pm so he clearly intended on being away from his camp after sunset. A hike like that you would have necessities with you in pack and a sleeping bag seems like an important item to have with you. MOO.

Thanks for the insight. I know nothing about multi-day hiking trips…what goes into it, etc. I live in southeast Arkansas where there’s flat farmland as far as you can see! Just by reading threads, I’ve learned it is something to be well prepared for and respected.

If you're somewhere to do a 7 day trip and have a camp site there is obviously an excellent reasoning for not having all your personal belongings with you when setting out for a hike to the summit of Eagle Peak. Why carry every single item you brought for a 7day camping trip to the top of the peak? No one would do this it would be way too much work to carry so much added weight. He placed a call to family at 7pm so he clearly intended on being away from his camp after sunset. A hike like that you would have necessities with you in pack and a sleeping bag seems like an important item to have with you. MOO.
I agree with you in part. No, you would typically not summit with your backpacking gear for a 7-day trip unless you were moving forward on a thru-hike and not going back the same way (NOT the case here). Clearly he intended to return to the campsite that has already been found to pack up his gear after summiting.

But I think his missing sleeping bag could be interpreted many ways. You state a 7 pm call means “he clearly intended on being away from his camp after sunset.” He may not have intended that at all. I think the most logical assumption is he intended to summit earlier in the day and he was delayed. I would guess most people would plan to descend during daylight, but I have descended by headlamp dozens of times without intending to. The only thing we know for sure is his plans did go awry at some point.

I am trying to remain hopeful that his missing sleeping bag means he has enough gear to be safe until he is found. We don’t have information about a bivy sack, clothing, food or fuel, so I am trying to remain optimistic in spite of my deepening concern.

Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc
Back