Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unconditional love doesn't mean letting your child get away with things. In fact, you can love and forgive your own child while realizing they have to be responsible for their actions and face up to things, or even go to jail. Helping a child avoid consequences and blame others every time creates a bully or even a sociopath. That's a twisted form of parental love, in my opinion.
In my opinion, & how I think about it with my kid…you can love your child unconditionally & still make them take responsibility for their actions. There doesn’t have to be a choice of one or the other. In fact, sometimes, you make your child take responsibility for their actions because you love them. If my kid does something bad, even something horrible, I’d be devastated & so disappointed, but I don’t love them any less. Be there for them & cross the bridges as you get to them. Everyone’s approach to parenting is so different, & that’s JMO. I just wanted to say I don’t believe the two things have to be mutually exclusive of each other. :)

Just a reminder that "direct evidence" usually means:

Eyewitness to the crime being committed.
Camera footage of the crime being committed.
A confession from the suspect.

Basically a material fact that can be established without having to make a judgement about it.

"Circumstantial evidence" is much more common. It requires an inference in order to come to a conclusion. For example, finding the bloody weapon in a stabbing, with the suspect's fingerprints on it.

Forensic evidence, digital evidence (such as phone texts emails, phone pings etc, GPS signal tracking
google searches etc), ballistics, camera footage or eyewitness testimony that places a person at or near the crime scene, at or around the time in question. And so on.

At least that's my impression in googling the differences.

From what I understand, law enforcement doesn't need definitive proof to arrest someone, as long as they have a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed. Probable cause, in other words. The bar of evidence needed is a lot lower than in a preliminary hearing or actual trial proceeding. That said, LE often delay making an arrest on serious charges until they are ready (due to the right for a speedy trial), because they want to make sure the charges stick, and are not summarily thrown out by a judge.

All JMO, IANAL.

To make this trip as comfortably as possible, they needed to get a fairly large vehicle. I can sympathize because I can’t drive anything bigger than a Dodge caravan comfortably. She was in love with BL and the prospects of this trip and social media a lot it so having BL drive it most all of the time seemed just fine. That’s a part of the tragedy of all of this. So much love, trust, promise at the beginning
I have wondered if she encouraged this lifestyle/trip because she just didn't feel comfortable living in the Laundrie household. This thought train really makes me sad. My husband and I spent two months with his parents while his dad was dying. I had moments of feeling so trapped and then I would feel guilty for feeling so trapped, etc. Mind you, I'm much, much older so I can only imagine how I would have felt doing this in my early twenties.

Question. This has probably been answered, but it would be so far back there’s no way I could go digging for it lol. In Gabby’s YouTube video she posted, that wasn’t all from this last trip was it? I know some of what I saw looked like California, but I can’t be 100% sure. I didn’t know if it was from this most recent trip they took, or was it compiled footage from several trips? I probably at one point knew the answer to this, but I’m slowly losing my mind with this case & can’t remember for the life of me. Haha!
Gabby's YouTube video included scenes from San Francisco and Santa Cruz. The dates of their visit weren't included though.

Personally, as the mom of 3 grown sons, my 1st call would be to LE and then a lawyer. I darn sure would do whatever it took to alert LE where to find her!!! I can’t imagine any scenario where I could ever just go on as normal while the girls family were frantic and scared and heartbroken and begging for help. Nope.

Imo, most of us moms feel the same way you do. That is why most of of us view the behavior of Brian's parents in horror. Their behavior is not how parents are expected to act in society. It is not normal, it's appalling.

And there are many civilized places that you can go in and around Yosemite to get to cell service to make contact with family. If Gabby truely had gone to Yosemite, all she had to do was to drive into the Village, the Lodge or the Ahwanee Hotel to use their wifi.
That would be a three-hour round trip from the Tuolumne Meadows campground to the valley (as an example) With a more scary road parts of the drive. If one has to go, of course they would make the trip. Otherwise no.

However, it is more irrelevant since we know she hasn't gone there. I am only trying to explain that no cell service in Yosemite is not that absurd per se. Camping reservations within Yosemite (within the park boundaries) are also very hard to come by. You cannot camp easily there in August, it is very difficult to get a reservation at all.

The location of the Mustang is bothering me. It's not suited for a back country hike or rough roads to access any challenging hiking trails and while they certainly aren't rare, they are going to attract attention long before a truck or SUV would.

I'm sure LE has a valid reason to keep searching the area but the presence of that particular car just screams, 'Please search where I want you to search.' I wonder if there are cameras at the entrance the provide other evidence but it just feels out of place for an outdoorsman.
The park (Myakkahatchee Creek, and similar for Carlton Reserve but that's not where he parked) has a small parking lot for access and it is foot traffic only (or horseback) into the park.
When you saw all those LE vehicles tromping over the bushes in the feeds, those are all areas OFF LIMITS for motorized vehicles generally.

KSL News Radio - 4 hrs ago
National Park Service stonewalls public records in Gabby Petito case

The U.S. National Park Service has denied two requests for public records filed by KSL under the Freedom of Information Act in connection with the disappearance of Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito.

In a pair of response letters on Tuesday, the agency said release of backcountry campsite reservation data from Yellowstone National Park and ranger body camera footage from Arches National Park could interfere with “enforcement proceedings.” The National Park Service added providing those public records could “afford a virtual roadmap through the government’s evidence” and “prematurely reveal the full scope of the evidence that has been obtained to date.”

Both of KSL’s requests were filed before federal prosecutors last week obtained an arrest warrant for Brian Laundrie, Petito’s boyfriend and the man with whom she’d spent the summer of 2021 traveling across the western United States in a 2012 Ford van.

[…]

Neither letter from the National Park Service mentioned Laundrie by name. The letters said KSL could resubmit its records requests once an undefined “enforcement action” was complete. They added “we are unable to provide you with an estimate of when that might be.”

KSL’s requests were filed at different stages of the search for Petito.

The first, filed on September 16, 2021 while Petito was still a missing person, sought “reservation records for Yellowstone National Park backcountry camping site 4R1 for dates between Aug. 30, 2021, and Sept. 7, 2021.”

At the time, KSL was attempting to discern whether or not Petito or Laundrie had made definitive plans to stay in Yellowstone National Park after departing the area of Grand Teton National Park. KSL had honed in on the specific site, which sits along the south rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, by analyzing information from a campsite planning app Petito had used called The Dyrt.

KSL’s review of Petito’s profile on The Dyrt had showed a strong correlation between places she’d pinned and locations she and Laundrie had actually camped in Colorado and Utah during July and August, 2021. This suggested Petito might have sought or obtained a backcountry camping permit from the National Park Service for site 4R1. If she had not, it might suggest her trip had been cut short, potentially at one of the sites she’d pinned near Grand Teton.

[…]

Petito’s body was subsequently located on September 19, 2021 by FBI and National Park Service staff near the Spread Creek dispersed camping area in the Bridger Teton National Forest, immediately outside the boundary of Grand Teton National Park. Spread Creek was a location Petito had pinned on The Dyrt app and was an area of interest in KSL’s coverage of the search for Petito.

The Yellowstone backcountry site reservation data might still yield insight into whether or not Petito and Laundrie had intended to continue their cross-country road trip through Yellowstone National Park when, on or about August 30, 2021, Laundrie abruptly drove from Wyoming to Florida in Petito’s van.

KSL’s second request, filed on September 21, 2021, came days after the recovery of Petito’s body.

The second FOIA request asked for “any video from the Arches National Park entry stations and/or body-worn camera video from National Park Service staff related to the Aug. 12, 2021 domestic violence situation involving Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito and Brian Laundrie (to include body-worn camera from NPS ranger Melissa Hulls).”

[…]

This supposed conversation between Hulls and Petito was not reflected in the Moab officer’s body camera footage, as the Moab officer was standing away from Hulls and Petito at the time. KSL sought Hulls’ video from the National Park Service in an effort to verify the comments Hulls made to the Deseret News, as well as to glean additional insight into how Petito responded to the characterization of her relationship with Laundrie.

Two days after KSL’s second records request was filed with the National Park Service, the city of Moab announced it would conduct an investigation of its police department’s response to the domestic dispute between Petito and Laundrie. In an unattributed statement, the city said it was unaware of any breach of department policy. However, it added “we recognize how the death of Ms. Petito more than two weeks later in Wyoming might lead to speculation, in hindsight, about actions taken during the incident in Moab.”

The Moab statement said the purpose of the investigation was to gather facts and evidence in order to make a “thorough, informed evaluation of such actions.” The National Park Service has made no such similar announcement.

(@Thora_Jay thought you may want to see re: Melissa Hull bodycam)

Gabby Petito’s father praises TikTok as family hold press conference

The father of Gabby Petito has said he believes that other missing people should get the same attention his daughter did.

Speaking about the wave of interest and publicity that Gabby Petito’s case received, Joseph Petito thanked those on social media who contributed to efforts to find her, and stressed that other missing people should be treated the same way.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Mr Petito said: “Social media has been amazing. I’d like to thank everyone for that, it was very helpful in bringing our daughter home.” He later added: “This awareness should continue for everyone.”
This is exactly right - a sad case in my community - a missing child. "The Larsens decided to speak publicly as Ryan’s case has slowed down, to remind and re-focus the community on the efforts to bring him home. In a Tik Tok video posted to her Facebook page, Taylor admits that cases like Gabby Petito’s, which has gained national attention, inspired her to be more vocal about Ryan’s case. So yes Mr Petito, it has given a mother a voice and some hope.

Mother, sisters of Ryan Larsen speak publicly for first time since boy’s disappearance

The cops made it sound like it was that night September 11th, but I don't know for sure. I think he said it in the September 15h press conference. Justin Taylor did. Let me go find it. Here it is. 4 minutes into the video.

Thanks for this! So, on the timeline, the police did a welfare check (probably checking for GP because she lives there?) on September 10 (that's as a result of GP's father calling police, I think?). After that visit and the filing of the missing person report in NY, the NorthPort LE must have gotten a warrant to go get the van. By the time LE went back to get the van on Saturday night, BL's parents had hired a lawyer and gotten counsel not to let BL talk to them or let them in the house. I wonder how much BL told them at that point -- he may still have been telling them stories about where GP was. But I also wonder what they or BL told the atty (SB) for him to give them the advice he did. No matter what BL was saying, though, it looked bad enough for SB to counsel them not to interact with LE. And so.... they did what any normal family would do! They went camping? Or was this when they went many "other places"?

I have wondered if she encouraged this lifestyle/trip because she just didn't feel comfortable living in the Laundrie household. This thought train really makes me sad. My husband and I spent two months with his parents while his dad was dying. I had moments of feeling so trapped and then I would feel guilty for feeling so trapped, etc. Mind you, I'm much, much older so I can only imagine how I would have felt doing this in my early twenties.
Good thought..I've wondered too if the parents were glad to have them out of the house for awhile. A little alone time.

It may be, that they didn't really realize what he had done until her remains were found. Or at least at first, anyway, and up through the first day the Petitos were trying to get in touch with them, maybe they really thought they had had yet another passionate breakup. During the 18 months they lived in North Port, apparently they had done that at least 10 times where Gabby went somewhere else to live, if only for a few days.

It seems likely they might have thought well, this is it. Finally these two have had enough of each other, and Gabby will find her way back to her family and we'll deal with her car somehow.

I don't know this, but I'm betting Brian didn't tell them he had killed her.
I think the parents did know that something bad had happened. Maybe they didn't know the full extent, but I believe that if they had just thought that Gabby and Brian had had a spat and broke up they would have talked to Gabby's mom. It would have been easy enough to send a "Camping, no service" message which wouldn't really have said anything, but it would have been a response. Just not responding at all leads me to believe that they were already circling the wagons and had already formulated and possibly put a plan into action to disappear Brian.

It would not surprise me at all if we eventually learn that there have been other times when Brian got himself into trouble, created some sort of "mess" or "crisis" if you will, and they were the rescue or cleanup crew. Some parents are enablers who cover for their kids and don't let them learn their own lessons. The kids don't learn anything, or rather they learn that if they cause trouble mom and dad will swoop in and take their side and make everything alright. In families where this dynamic is in play it would be easy to see that the kid never learns from their mistakes and the problems they create escalate over time.

MOO

I don’t know for sure, but my impression was that some of it was from their last road trip.
In that video she was driving a car. Her father said they'd previously leased her a car. Though the make currently escapes me, the car matched the make that her father named. It's where she was driving on a curvy road. So yep definitely old footage included.

I may be really slow, but your comment just startled me into a realization. Maybe he was not just trying to forestall her parents' concern so that it would it would take longer to find her body, as I've been assuming all along. Maybe he was setting up his story.

His story, at the time he sent the text, was going to be:

- We fought and I needed some space.
- She stayed at the van doing her little website.
- I went to the Snake River to camp for a few days by myself (see, there are witnesses who gave me a ride).
- When I got back, she and the van were gone.
- Oh? Her parents got a text from Yosemite? I guess that's where she went.

Maybe he thought he'd ditch the van someplace? And then the plan started to unravel when he realized how hard it would be to get around without the van and as getting back to FL by hitchhiking or flying would be difficult?

Could that be right? Seems off?

Yup. I agree with this.

That would be a three-hour round trip from the Tuolumne Meadows campground to the valley (as an example) With a more scary road parts of the drive. If one has to go, of course they would make the trip. Otherwise no.

However, it is more irrelevant since we know she hasn't gone there. I am only trying to explain that no cell service in Yosemite is not that absurd per se. Camping reservations within Yosemite (within the park boundaries) are also very hard to come by. You cannot camp easily there in August.
Nope! I've camped at Tuolomne Meadows before. It isn't a 3 hour round trip from there to the valley and back. And it was right before Labor Day Weekend. We moved into the valley on Labor Day Weekend that time.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-new...s-brian-laundrie-hid-out-in-fort-de-soto-park

Was this initially based on the text Gabby’s mom received on the 30th or something entirely different??

From the Sept 28th article:
Fox News recently obtained the missing persons’ report for Petito, in which her mother, Nichole Schmidt, stated that her daughter was last seen at 7 a.m. on Aug. 30 at Grand Teton National Park. Schmidt wrote in the report that her Long Island home was a "probable destination."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grimlockedin