Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the people condemning their actions irl and on sm without having any idea of what actually happened. Including hammering signs into their lawn, yelling at them with bullhorns, and posting on sm as though somehow privy to exactly why they are doing what they are doing and it's very bad. jmo
I totally agree that using bullhorns and hammering signs onto their private property is not OK. And while I am not onboard with some of the things they have done, they may not have done anything illegal. JMHO.

Very interesting observation, @meatandcookies. I agree that NYC probably wouldn't appeal to BL, but he still might think it's a bit more "anonymous" than you have stated. Wouldn't that be a hoot, since there are NYC police everywhere, at least in Manhattan, from my touristy observations. But it would cost too much to stay and eat in M'hattan, IMO, and he is, ya know, a hiker and not a city mouse.
I certainly don't think he would go unidentified for any length of time on Long Island -- one place with which he should be very familiar. Upstate would indeed be better for him, but it surely gets cold up there...
And there is, apparently, a bit of the App Trail in Brooklyn! Go to it, BL!
Plus, you have cameras everywhere in Manhattan. He might be able to stay anonymous in certain sections of Brooklyn or the Bronx, but no way does he have the street smarts for those areas IMO.
The AT doesn’t go through BK. It goes from North Jersey up through Orange County, NY, over the Bear Mountain Bridge and up into Putnam and Dutchess counties before going into CT. (I’ve hiked this in it’s entirety, in sections; there are a lot of rocks but it’s not a challenging part of the AT and shelters are plentiful. By now it’s getting uncomfortably cold at night). The route hikers take to detour into NYC is via Metro-North as I described upthread; the AT station gets limited service but the Harlem Valley-Wingdale station is not far from the AT and gets regular service. I spent many summers in that area.
BL would not be able to take the AT directly into NYC if that was his game plan; if he doesn’t have a vehicle, he would have to hike northeast, then head south via railroad, or somehow hitchhike from northern Jersey, headed east, without being noticed by the driver.
Again, I believe this is all a moot point, as I don’t think he has any desire to set foot in NYC.
All ME/MOO.

All of the people condemning their actions irl and on sm without having any idea of what actually happened. Including hammering signs into their lawn, yelling at them with bullhorns, and posting on sm as though somehow privy to exactly why they are doing what they are doing, and it's very bad. jmo

MOO. The consequences of one’s own intentional actions don’t make them victims. That is like saying a teenage driver is a victim because their parents pulled their driving privileges after getting a speeding ticket.

It's impossible, really to even hazard a guess without the cause of death being known.
There may be very very good evidence and very stong evidence.
Or there may be very little at all.

It's almost impossible to sleuth this case because we know so very little about his character or reputation. I wish they would find him now. Or not. I just want it to be over.
I just have a sinking feeling there will be more shock-horror before catharsis is realised. I hope I'm dead wrong about that.
I have a sense her cause of death will be very disturbing news. I hope I'm wrong about that too.
I was shocked when it was ruled so quickly to be absolutely no accident, ... her body had been out in the elements for some time, yet this conclusion was arrived at almost immediately upon finding her, which leaves me with the same dread you have, miss kitty.

IMO, I appreciate everyone’s personal experiences being shared, but I think we should remember that this case has been compelling partly because we saw the idyllic edited van life footage and we also saw the Moab footage. There was no beautifully arranged sleeping area in that footage. It showed the contrast between what can be presented on social media versus reality. I’m not sure any of us have a good sense of BL in reality other than his SM portrayal and the Moab video. I don’t believe his book choices make him a killer. I also don’t believe we know he’s not a killer because of anything he’s posted.

My observation of BL is that he seemed to be manipulative to the LE officers in the Moab stop (didn’t answer direct questions, lots of hand signaling, blaming Gabby, going out of his way to appear helpful). His walk also doesn’t seem like it’s due to loose sandals… but rather something that would require at least physical therapy to correct. I’d be very surprised if he could just decide to change his walk to blend in. Beyond that, I don’t know much about him and his reactions in extreme pressure situations. I would guess he’s not a criminal mastermind and is relying on the head start he got to stay ahead of LE.

Just wanted to take a minute to remind everyone that our own situations and experiences can be invaluable in seeing a small detail, but they may also sometimes cause us to see things that aren’t there.

All JMO.

First time posting (not sure I’m doing this correctly…)… I’ve had a lot of thoughts on these threads, but I’ve stayed an observer—finding that someone (almost always!) eventually says what I’ve been thinking, anyway.

Admittedly, like many others here, I’ve found it hard to keep up—and, admittedly, I’ve compensated by skipping (a lot!). So… Please forgive me if this thought has already been expressed:

I’ve seen multiple references to how the van’s disarray during the Moab stop represents the disconnect between SM persona/illusion and reality. My first thought when I saw it (zoomed in a still—my eyes and brain are too slow to have caught in the running video!), however, is that maybe BL trashed the place. Perhaps it became wrecked during BL’s reckless driving / “felony” speeding, but I am more inclined to think Deliberately Trashed. GP mentioned her “OCD” (her dad claims it was not meant literally; I have no idea, but if not literal, the term implies, in this situation, a “WANT” [as opposed to a “NEED”] that expresses standards of some sort)… She articulated her goal of cleaning/tidying as being one of the catalysts for the fight. If any of BL’s wrath was, in fact, connected with GP’s cleaning/tidying—might it not make sense that the utter disaster of a van we witnessed be the possible result of BL losing his $#%£ and tearing it apart before her eyes?

While messy can be totally normal (and functional!) for some people, this particular example, given all the context we’ve learned thus far, seems to point (IMO) to an ongoing dysfunction (like mental health)—or to an incident/outburst/reaction (in DA/DV, the aggressor often lashes out in whatever way is perceived to be extremely hurtful; if your target feels strongly about cleaning/tidying, then completely trashing the place achieves high impact!).

MOO, of course ;)

Victims of their son's behavior. They didn't ask for any of this.

They didn’t have to help him. They didn’t have to wait 4 DAYS before reporting that he was missing. They may not have asked for this at the start, but their decisions certainly earned them the outcome they are experiencing. ETA: While I don’t condone hammering signs on their lawn or the bullhorn noise (the noise only because the poor neighbors don’t deserve that), I don’t think discussing their decisions here is wrong unless the mods say so. MOO.

I'm throwing a few ideas out here:

If Gabby was killed with a gun:
-When Brian went back to Florida to help organize storage, he may have done so to pick up a gun he knew his parents had.
-Searches in the Carlton Reserve were to specifically find that weapon Brian may have dumped.
-Brian could have waded out to the middle of a watery area in the Reserve and shot himself, although his body would eventually float, I suppose.

Then he would have needed to fly with the gun in luggage. Would he have left such a think in checked luggage (because you don’t believe you can carry it on)? Don’t think so

I was shocked when it was ruled so quickly to be absolutely no accident, ... her body had been out in the elements for some time, yet this conclusion was arrived at almost immediately upon finding her, which leaves me with the same dread you have, miss kitty.

I was surprised to learn from another poster here that a homicide "manner of death" doesn't rule out an accidental death. That said, I think the cause of death will be extremely elucidating.

All of the people condemning their actions irl and on sm without having any idea of what actually happened. Including hammering signs into their lawn, yelling at them with bullhorns, and posting on sm as though somehow privy to exactly why they are doing what they are doing and it's very bad. jmo

Here is what we know - MOO:

Their Son:
1. We know they aren't looking for their son.
2. We know they haven't pleaded for people to look out for him.
3. We know they didn't issue a picture of what he was wearing when he last left.
4. We know their behavior is completely inconsistent with the behavior of parents sick with worry over the safety and well-being of their child.

The Petitos (particularly Joe P from print and media (including Dr. Phil interview):
1. We know they (the Petitos) were actually worried about BOTH kids.
2. We know they had no idea BL was "home" or on his way home.
3. We know that there came a point in time where Joe P said after the Laundries kept ignoring their numerous calls, texts, that he advised them that if they did not call him back this time, he was calling the Police.
4. We know that even in the face of that message, they still didn't call.
5. We know they thereafter ignored detective and PO calls.

MOO

These are things we know. MOO. Some we assess ourselves from their own behavior. Others we know from the Petitos. If the Laundries would like to rebut the Petitos' accounting of anything the Petitos have put forward publicly, nothing is stopping them from doing so.

The most telling thing to me: "
THEY " have an attorney now.
And, they're trying to muddy the waters on when the atty was retained. MOO (based on SB's own text messages),
But that is not the most significant to me.

The most significant to *me* is IF they truly knew NOTHING, they would not need an attorney. It would be completely unnecessary. So, whether they or Bertolino realize it or not, they told "me" a long time ago that the Laundries know something directly relevant to Gabby's homicide. MOO JMO IMO

If they have something different to offer, I'm happy to hear it.

Last edited:
I would have thought strangulation, too, but for the fact that the coroner was so quickly able to call it a homicide. It seems like there are probably some very obvious signs. I don't know what the acoustics are out there on that creek. Sometimes when you're near water, you can hear every sound anyone makes, but other times, it seems like the water covers the sound and stops it from carrying. I'll be interested in knowing the answer when the information is made public.
I'm not at all sure there were people within listening distance even if the sound carried.

First time posting (not sure I’m doing this correctly…)… I’ve had a lot of thoughts on these threads, but I’ve stayed an observer—finding that someone (almost always!) eventually says what I’ve been thinking, anyway.

Admittedly, like many others here, I’ve found it hard to keep up—and, admittedly, I’ve compensated by skipping (a lot!). So… Please forgive me if this thought has already been expressed:

I’ve seen multiple references to how the van’s disarray during the Moab stop represents the disconnect between SM persona/illusion and reality. My first thought when I saw it (zoomed in a still—my eyes and brain are too slow to have caught in the running video!), however, is that maybe BL trashed the place. Perhaps it became wrecked during BL’s reckless driving / “felony” speeding, but I am more inclined to think Deliberately Trashed. GP mentioned her “OCD” (her dad claims it was not meant literally; I have no idea, but if not literal, the term implies, in this situation, a “WANT” [as opposed to a “NEED”] that expresses standards of some sort)… She articulated her goal of cleaning/tidying as being one of the catalysts for the fight. If any of BL’s wrath was, in fact, connected with GP’s cleaning/tidying—might it not make sense that the utter disaster of a van we witnessed be the possible result of BL losing his $#%£ and tearing it apart before her eyes?

While messy can be totally normal (and functional!) for some people, this particular example, given all the context we’ve learned thus far, seems to point (IMO) to an ongoing dysfunction (like mental health)—or to an incident/outburst/reaction (in DA/DV, the aggressor often lashes out in whatever way is perceived to be extremely hurtful; if your target feels strongly about cleaning/tidying, then completely trashing the place achieves high impact!).

MOO, of course ;)
welcome , Mish... glad to have you aboard.

I am intrigued by your view there, it makes mega amount of sense.. I reckon she was working in the cafe, doing her 'little blog' which bought in the funds for her , and he, intent on his 'little walk' got stroppy and belligerent , about the time she was taking, so he waits outside, and in a tantrum , throws stuff around all over the back of the van.

No wonder , when they were pulled over, Gabby still couldn't get over it, the filth of his feet , the disarray, the junked up interior, which she has to clean up, now, again..

She was breathless with the utter contempt he showed to her, .. you could see it in the way she bent over, holding onto her knees.

It seems as though they have been playing softball with him for too long. It's not panning out. I can guess at their rationale, might push the wee lad over the edge and all of that, if that is a concern.
Why did they spend so much money on a search of the reserve and was it actually a manhunt or a search or recovery operation?
There's zero chance of any of those questions being answered in the near future so I may as well sit and bite the bullet. Federal case.

Yes, and there are a couple other older pictures of GL and BL having beer in her insta. Maybe they had fairly recently both decided to stop drinking.
Or it’s a matter of semantics. When Gabby said they don’t drink, I took it to mean they don’t drink heavily or regularly, not that they never drink. MOO

Here is what we know - MOO:

Their Son:
1. We know they aren't looking for their son.
2. We know they haven't pleaded for people to look out for him.
3. We know they didn't issue a picture of what he was wearing when he last left.
4. We know their behavior is completely inconsistent with the behavior of parents sick with worry over the safety and well-being of their child.

[...snip...]

We are not talking about a child that went missing in the middle of the night.

This is not a lost child case.

This is a 23 year old man who is absolutely NOT lost.

They were not allowed to search in the only place they might reasonably expect to find their son. When they were allowed, they did.

We don't know what Brian told them. We don't know what the lawyer told them.

They are just a couple of ordinary people whose son may have done something terrible. Second guessing every move they make from the comfort of our chairs is not reasonable without even having the complete facts.

Oh, no, I have to respectfully disagree. Weddings on the beach can be expensive, depending on whether you're planning to also have the reception there, how much permits cost, etc.

Her mother said that COVID was a reason why they put the plans on ice (at other times, she's said it was because they felt too young), and I don't see any reason not to believe her that COVID was one of the factors. A lot of weddings were cancelled last year. Their families were both from NY, which means people needing to travel. Just because a lot of people in FL were more casual about COVID than in other parts of the country doesn't mean that everyone was, especially people who had, or relatives that had, just lived through the early days of the pandemic in NY.

I'm not sure that the wedding is either here nor there, but it's notable that both mothers and Gabby and Brian had a joint pinterest board and each had pinned some wedding ideas. How sad that it all turned out this way.

Sure. All that can be true but it can also be true that a wedding on the beach can be incredibly cheap. Just two people, two witnesses and a justice of the peace. And Florida has probably the least COVID restrictions in the country. If you are outside, there are literally none. I doubt COVID was a factor but more likely an excuse because I suspect Gabby had second thoughts of whether to actually marry this controlling guy, even if she felt she was joined with him at the hip and they were a "team". The idea of marrying him probably seemed like a very bad idea on the days that he made her cry for hours and hours.
I think she called it off more than once. And then on good days she went back to planning her beach wedding. IMO

We are not talking about a child that went missing in the middle of the night.

This is not a lost child case.

This is a 23 year old man who is absolutely NOT lost.

They were not allowed to search in the only place they might reasonably expect to find their son. When they were allowed, they did.

We don't know what Brian told them. We don't know what the lawyer told them.

They are just a couple of ordinary people whose son may have done something terrible. Second guessing every move they make from the comfort of our chairs is not reasonable without even having the complete facts.

not lost?. his own lawyer reported him 'MISSING" to the NPPD.. Why would his lawyer do that?? under instructions from his other clients, the Senior Laundries?.....

..... if that's not lost, you can slap me silly and call me Susan .

I agree with the Petito's.. he ain't missin', he's hidin..'. which underlines the tactic used by the lawyer, who doesn't want his client to be hiding, but missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member