Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #74

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it's likely that if someone or something died within weeks or even a couple months that the decomposition would lead to just 'bones' at this point in time? Seems to quickly to me. I used to hike a lot and came across many many animal remains and the only ones I found that were 'bones' only had clearly been there for a very long time because they were sun-bleached and it was just visually obvious around them that they had been there for quite some time. MOST of the animal remains I have found still had fur, dried blood, flies, etc on them even though it was obvious they still weren't there anytime extremely recently.
The environment is key here. IDK where you're talking about, and of course you probably shouldn't give out where you're from to us strangers online, but I think the unique conditions of the swamp: the water, the heat, the humidity, the insects and animals, etc. all of those factors combined do not help body conditions. For example, Brenda Gerow, may she Rest In Peace, was found, in April in Arizona, roughly two days after she died and her condition was advanced enough that she was unrecognizable and her eye color couldn't be determined. However, Bitter Creek Betty, found in Wyoming in March, was so well preserved by the frozen weather that even though she died roughly a month before really all investigators had to do for a facial reconstruction was draw open eyes on a photo of her face. With these conditions, I think there's a possibility, at least, that it's Brian.

Brian Laundrie live updates: Latest coverage of search
Cadaver dogs in search for Laundrie could find more body parts
By Yaron Steinbuch

Officials say cadaver dogs continuing to search the area where human remains were found Wednesday could likely find more.

Conditions Thursday at at the Florida park where Brian Laundrie’s suspected remains are more conducive to the dogs picking up the scent.

Michael Hadsell, president of the Peace River K9 Search and Rescue, said the dogs initially could not pick up any scent of decaying remains because parts of the reserve were still under several feet of water.

“The problem is people don’t understand that dogs are not body finders, they are odor hunters,” said Hadsell, who wasn’t involved in the search for Laundrie but has assisted in searches at the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is a normal in this situation. As a parent I cannot imagine what I would “prefer” (I can’t think of a better word right now but prefer sounds kind of yucky given the subject).

I can tell you I wouldn’t be in their position to begin with though, because if my son came home in his girlfriends van without her and her parents kept calling because no one could reach her, I would call the best lawyer to represent my son that I could afford, reassure my son I love him no matter what, and then I’m calling the police.

Agreed, and this is the part that still continues to get me... the Laundries finally reported Brian as missing on September 16th.

This was well after the Petitos had originally expressed concern to them about both of their children's whereabouts.

Therefore, if they are worried about Brian, why don't they ever call the Petitos in the intervening now 5 weeks? Pure stubbornness? (Also, I'm not gonna try, since against site rules; but there are ways to cheaply search online for phone numbers if all else fails, so no, I'm not believing the Laundries that they missed allllll of the Petitos' and Schmidts' calls, because that veers into the realm of impossibility, IMO, that they neither had nor could find proper numbers for any of Chris, R., and/or Cassie.)

They'll get the DNA quickly if the samples aren't degraded completely.
The COD is likely to take a long long time though.
They were discussing it this morning on Fox

Thanks for the link.

The show is still live so there isn't a time stamp for the forensics expert, Joseph Scott Morgan, but the time on the live video went he is on starts at 6:17 am ET.

I haven’t caught up on posts yet this morning but one thing that kept me awake in the middle of the night last night: what if the parents and BL had been in communication during the time BL has been “missing” by burner phone and the phone was in the dry bag, so CL had an opportunity to remove it when he “found” the bag? Authorities won’t necessarily ever know.
If the bones are his (I believe they are) he's been dead for a while. There was no burner phone. No communication.

I agree. Amateur speculation - given the fact that the remains were found near what are definitively BLs belongings, in an area he was thought to have gone to when he disappeared, it is his body and everyone knows it. They just cannot officially say that because it is a skeleton. MOO
Exactly.

She has a show on NewsNation. It airs live at 9CST (I think) right after NewsNation Prime. They post some full episodes on YouTube & also post a lot of clips there as well. That’s on the NewsNation YouTube channel. :)
I'm not very up on YouTube, but I guess I should do some research. I didn't realize they streamed regular programs. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks for the link.

The show is still live so there isn't a time stamp for the forensics expert, Joseph Scott Morgan, but the time on the live video went he is on starts at 6:17 am ET.
I never watched Fox before, I found it to be particularly educational. It seemed to be on a rolling thing, I had no idea how it worked, I probably had it on loop.. Thanks lot.

@mikerreports from Fox was following them and said after the Ls found the bag, they had it for 20-30 minutes before they met LE and handed the bag over…so I guess not really close enough to view.
Just more Bertolino spin, I guess. jmo Also, if they had it for 20-30 minutes, they must have found it really fast after entering the Park and walking less than a mile...... jmo

If the bones are his (I believe they are) he's been dead for a while. There was no burner phone. No communication.
I looked up how long for remains to become skeletal, sorry if this was already talked about. It said it depends on humidity and temperature, etc. It stated it could take 3 weeks to several years depending on those factors. JMO

I looked up how long for remains to become skeletal, sorry if this was already talked about. It said it depends on humidity and temperature, etc. It stated it could take 3 weeks to several years depending on those factors. JMO
Yes. I believe the conditions in that swamp were ideal to accelerate this process.

Why didn't he notify NNPD? They were lead agency at that stage, not FBI!
I agree that it is strange but we have to remember the FBI executed the federal search warrant at LAundrie's house on the 20th. Which means the FBI were on the case before the 20th. Also if you check the indictment for the unauthorized access federal charges on Gabby's debit card, they were written up on the 20th, which means they were involved days before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99