Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI probe Brian Laundrie’s texts and emails - follow updates live

LIVE Updates

The little-known reporter who broke the biggest story in America
After spending every waking moment of the past seven weeks covering the Gabby Petito case, NewsNation correspondent Brian Entin is finally taking a day off to spend time with his golden retriever, Shelby.

The case profoundly affected Mr Entin, who continues to honour Petito’s legacy through his journalism by providing a platform for stories on domestic abuse while also drawing attention to other missing persons cases across America.

My colleague Bevan Hurley reports on how Mr Entin became one of the most trusted journalists covering the case that gripped millions of people around the world.

Where does the investigation go from here?
When asked where the Gabby Petito case will go from here, NewsNation correspondent Brian Entin said that he was hopeful that lingering questions surrounding the case would be answered.

Mr Entin said that he sees two possibilities from here. The FBI could quietly wrap up their investigation, without saying anything publicly on the case again.

Or, the FBI could lay out the information that they have connecting Laundrie to Petito’s death, through a press conference or the release of a memo.

Laundrie’s cause of death is yet to be determined, and the contents of his personal notebook and digital communications have not been made public. Similarly, most details from Petito’s autopsy have not been released.

The moment that everything changed
NewsNation reporter Brian Entin said that the release of the Moab Police’s bodycam footage of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie on the side of the road was the moment that everything changed in the case.

Laundrie family have yet to receive Brian’s remains
Brian Laundrie’s remains have not yet been returned to his family, despite having been found in Florida’s Carlton Reserve, a 24,000-acre nature preserve, more than two weeks ago.

Steven Bertolino, the family’s lawyer, confirmed this on ABC7, and added that he believed the FBI had all the information it needed to conduct its investigation into the 23-year-old man’s disappearance and death.

Abduction survivor Elizabeth Smart on Petito family ‘closure’
Abduction survivor Elizabeth Smart said that the Petito family will not receive the kind of “closure” that she got when her captor was sentenced.

“I mean, I can only speak for me. And I know, when I finally saw that my captor was sentenced, that the trial happened, that it was finished, it really was the closing of a chapter,” she told CBS News.
What does Elizabeth Smart have to do with this? She's very gracious to comment, but her ordeal and GP's (or any domestic violence victim's) experience are only alike in that they involve a young woman being a crime victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Elizabeth Smart have to do with this? She's very gracious to comment, but her ordeal and GP's (or any domestic violence victim's) experience are only alike in that they involve a young woman being a crime victim.
Elizabeth Smart's comment is about what gives victims and the people who love them peace. I have a family member who was the victim of a violent crime, and her attacker was never caught. Our family would have benefitted very much from a trial and conviction.

Also depends upon how many people were around them.

That is to say, if Gabby was indeed strangled at the campsite, the campsite was actually pretty populated, all things considered; and there's quite a difference between Gabby going unconscious in seconds, as my post above potentially says could happen; with respect to what Brian chooses to do next, that is to say:

-If death was quick for Gabby, then this probably increases the chance it was an accident.

-However, if it then was an accident and happened quickly, why didn't Brian do anything to attempt to get help for Gabby? If he knew he "just touched her" and wasn't expecting the outcome from a brief accidental period of contact, why wasn't he frantic? Dialing 911, or at least shrieking to the point where someone else heard him?

We are pretty certain that wherever the strangulation occurred, it wasn't inside a hotel room, restaurant, or similar; and again, the campsites weren't all that remote, in the grand scheme of things; we were thinking about it a lot more romantically, than thinking it was crowded AF as it in fact appears to have been. If a guy started carrying on hysterically about he doesn't know how to revive his fiancee, doesn't this involve either actively trying to find neighboring people or being inadvertently found out by the neighboring people?

Everything that has come out so far, tends to indicate that Brian was in fact fairly calm about the strangulation. Cops weren't called about this sketchy sketcher driving erratically around as the tears blinded them, etc., etc.

IMO, BL killed Gabby in a white-hot rage and felt good about it afterwards; or at the very least justified about it.

In my opinion, and in my heart....... I soooo disagree.

I feel it was spontaneous act of rage and passion.

In a total brain fog, he might have been trying to get out of this, to fake his involvement...
AND THAT WAS HIS BIGGEST TACTICAL AND MORAL ERROR..
If he had come forward, we would be looking at a manslaughter case....imo

I felt this the moment we knew she was dead.
And I felt the moment he went missing, he had suicided.

he could not live without her.
He had nothing else in his life.

I would absolutely love to see the Laundries sue the Petito family lawyer for slander. He made so many questionable claims against them.

Here's one:

"“Again,” the attorney said. “For the Laundries’ silence: The Laundries did not help us find Gabby. They sure [are] not going to help us find Brian. For Brian: We’re asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency.”"

False. Turns out the Laundries were fully cooperative in terms of finding Brian. So he lied.

I totally agree.

Now that it's been revealed that the Laundries cooperated it would be fair and just for them to take legal action against anyone who slandered them.

It's a shame they also couldn't also see if there's any action they could take against the vile protestors outside their house, particularly MGL.

MOO

Last edited:
“Closing” a case/Clearing an offense
From ucr.fbi.gov

Law enforcement agencies must meet the following four conditions in order to clear an offense by exceptional means. The agency must have:

• Identified the offender.
  • Gathered enough evidence to support an arrest, make a charge, and turn over the offender to the court for prosecution.
  • Identified the offender’s exact location so that the suspect could be taken into custody immediately.
  • Encountered a circumstance outside the control of law enforcement that prohibits the agency from arresting, charging, and prosecuting the offender

• Examples of exceptional clearances include, but are not limited to, the death of the offender

full info here
  • Offenses Cleared

The full read is sooo worthwhile. Thanks so much for posting.

Still amazing statistics...

Among violent crimes, 64.8 percent of murder offenses were cleared, 40.3 percent of forcible rape offenses were cleared, 28.2 percent of robbery offenses were cleared, and 56.4 percent of aggravated assault offenses were cleared

Elizabeth Smart's comment is about what gives victims and the people who love them peace. I have a family member who was the victim of a violent crime, and her attacker was never caught. Our family would have benefitted very much from a trial and conviction.
Fair enough. But call me cynical - seems the ask could have been of someone who was or was related to a victim of DV, and asking her struck me as a bit of a pander bc hers was not a DV situation. Could've asked Fred Goldman or Denise Brown or Shannan Watts' family or Natalee Holloway's family, or Eve Ensler or Evan Rachel Wood or whoever else is known and has experience with the fallout from DV, whether or not death was the result.

If the comment was after the 17th September (or possibly the 14th), then no it did not. The L's informed both the FBI (on the 14th if you believe SB) and LE on the 17th of where they believed Brian to be.
I was referring to this comment: "They led LE right to him, on the day the park reopened. It was closed due to flooding, not merely because of the search."

That is exactly the same thing the Laundries were going through plus the added horror of idiots camping on their sidewalk and harassing them and the media screeching at them. moo
I disagree. Gabby was missing. The L’s son came home.
Gabby’s parents begged for help and information.
The L’s chose to ignore them. Gabby was found murdered.
The L’s chose to lawyer up and not cooperate with LE.
Gabby’s parents had no options. The L’s did. IMO

Thanks for your post! It reminded me that I looked again at the Bethunes original footage, and I was counting the seconds off between 'campers'. You are right. There were campers both sides in relatively close proximity. If Gabby was attacked in the late afternoon/evening time, it is possible that other campers heard a commotion or disturbance. This is what is bothering me. Where G&B were camped was not remote. There were people around.

If B attacked G in a 'white rage' or if they had been fighting - would that fight be noisy enough to alert people nearby? After the incident that we can't mention at the place we can't mention either - would this have made them both more aware not to fight where they could be overseen/heard.

This case is most perplexing - but I am sure if any additional information is released - we will all say 'of course!'

this is what i thought as soon as i watched the whole Bethune video.... there WERE lots of people, and vans on that whole trek of his.

I do feel that Brian did this, but I just feel the physical attack was so quick.. that there were probably no sounds at all...

I don't think that either G or B were ever concerned about who could hear and see, anyway.
I think their fighting and bickering had a life of its own.

Last edited:
Great quote by Cassie. I think what she means is that if he had shown up at her house without Gabby and with the van, she would have known something was wrong and would have asked him where Gabby was and would not have settled until she got an answer from him. Then she would have told the police and Gabby's parents, he would have been arrested, she and her parents wouldn't become objects of disgust and anger. And she didn't know it at the time (at least she didn't know for sure), but his suicide could have been prevented.

I think Cassie is a good person, who really did love Gabby, whose kids loved Gabby, and who was genuinely horrified by Gabby's disappearance.

All MOO.

i am sure with you on this one...

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

"Sober and conscious victims of strangulation will first feel terror and severe pain. If strangulation persists, unconsciousness will follow. Before lapsing into unconsciousness, a strangulation victim will usually resist violently, often producing injuries of their own neck in an effort to claw off the assailant, and frequently also producing injury on the face or hands of their assailant. These defensive injuries may not be present if the victim is physically or chemically restrained before the assault. Victims may lose consciousness by any one or all of the following methods: blocking of the carotid arteries in the neck (depriving the brain of oxygen), blocking of the jugular veins (preventing deoxygenated blood from exiting the brain), and closing off the airway, making breathing impossible."

https://www.pottstown.org/DocumentCenter/View/211/Strangulation-Information-for-Victims

For the record, there is quite a bit of academic research on strangling, all around the world. In intimate partnerships, men say the initial impulse is to silence the woman.

Just goes to show, we really truly ...do ....not ....know.

I know we may never now, especially if FBI "clears" the case....
but so many of us have been following for sooooooooo long... We just need closure rather than clearance!! ho ho ho
And then there's the possibility of delayed death from strangulation. So many possibilities.

This is actually very important for anyone to know who's been a victim of strangulation. You may think you're ok, but you really should be checked out by a doctor.

Unexpected delayed death after manual strangulation: need for careful examination in the emergency room - PubMed

Ha! Found it, sorry it took so long. Here's the clip. I transcribed the relevant part. This is Dr. Baden at 3mins 23 secs.
"One thing {Trent?} that I would mention is the..that...the type of murder that causes loss of consciousness within seconds. Five or ten seconds. This is a quick loss of consciousness. The family should know that Gabby suffered very little conscious pain or suffering. She..uh...lost consciousness and...uh..then was dead, and like going to sleep, so...uh...for whatever that's worth. "
Gabby Petito autopsy: Experts weigh in after coroner's 'manual strangulation' ruling

ETA, I was going to link this to my previous post, but it got deleted before I could find the source. I can't remember who I was responding to, but we were discussing manual strangulation and whether anyone would have heard Gabby scream.

Ha! Found it, sorry it took so long. Here's the clip. I transcribed the relevant part. This is Dr. Baden at 3mins 23 secs.
"One thing {Trent?} that I would mention is the..that...the type of murder that causes loss of consciousness within seconds. Five or ten seconds. This is a quick loss of consciousness. The family should know that Gabby suffered very little conscious pain or suffering. She..uh...lost consciousness and...uh..then was dead, and like going to sleep, so...uh...for whatever that's worth. "
Gabby Petito autopsy: Experts weigh in after coroner's 'manual strangulation' ruling

ETA, I was going to link this to my previous post, but it got deleted before I could find the source. I can't remember who I was responding to, but we were discussing manual strangulation and whether anyone would have heard Gabby scream.
That's very comforting. Thanks for finding the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mebleswiata