Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone discussed/thought about if the incident happened in the van, and he moved the body, or if the incident happened out at the campsite?

Not in law. You have to have the intention to permanently deprive them of it.

Not if you reside with the person as police can’t prove you stole it because it’s parked at the home you both reside at. No property is actually stolen or missing. If GP had reported it stolen that’s the only way they could have charged him was busting him on the road with it but not at the house where she lives… no proof it’s stolen.

Yup, we've certainly seen that happen before. They've devoted a tremendous amount of resources to this, and there are cost and manpower factors.

I can't imagine this can go on for much longer. I'm just curious how strong the intelligence is that he is in fact there, and what percentage of the area they have covered.
I'm wondering if they're searching for other evidence in that location as well? @MissBetsy suggested earlier they may be searching for her phone?
Or is there more to this than meets the eye?

I did not know that. So, if someone is found a year after actual death , and forensics can date it back to at least that long since death , official death date is date actually found and so declared dead? That’s what goes on gravestone?
what goes on the gravestone is up to the family. ..they pay for that. .

Both GP and BL lived together at his parents house in FL. The van was registered to GP, but had BL’s parents address on it. So technically the van was parked at the “owners” home address when BL parked it in the driveway… thereby can’t charge him with a van that’s technically not missing from the owners home address.
NO. that's not how it works. Tgat was her address, btw. Name on title = legal ownership. No matter where it is. Or the owner is.

Can we put the whole "stolen van" thing to rest? It doesn't matter. Both myself and my husband are on the title for our vehicles. If we vacation across the country in it and I decide to drive it back without him, who cares. That isn't the important part. The important part would be if he ended up dead without so much as reaching out to someone to let them know that he was left behind/stayed behind, and that, upon being confronted with the information that no one had heard from him, I said not a word and didn't help his family when they begged me for answers. Those are the important details.

I would be the one being hunted down by the FBI all the same, no matter the status of vehicle ownership. Is it appalling that he drove it home? Yes. Does it change anything that he didn't own it? No.

i wish we could go away from this narrative: they were in a long-term relationship. They BOTH worked on the van. They BOTH put money and sweat into it because they lived together and (IM ASSUMING) pooled resources like almost every other couple does, especially when you’re young and broke. They BOTH drove it. They BOTH lived in it. This isn’t a casual friendship where he stole the keys and took off. My husband and I have cars in each of our names but they’re OUR cars. We’d never say “don’t drive my car, it’s mine.” We are so hyper focused on him stealing her car when it’s clear it was theirs; regardless of the title.

Engaged and living together is not at all the same thing as being married, as anyone who is single can tell you…you can get up and leave anytime you want to and not look back. And as far as personal property goes,what belongs to one does not also belong to the other, legally. I’ll bet that if they both put money into that van, it wasn’t an equal amount-what did he sell to buy it?

This is simply not true. Circumstantial evidence is enough to prove guilt. Most crimes don't involve a whole lot of direct evidence at all. And secondly, it does not need to be just any plausible alternate; the actual jury instruction here in CA says it must also be reasonable. If it's possible but not reasonable, the jury can and should disregard it.

we don’t know facts of the case yet. But IG autopsy cannot prove death occurred while BL was there, you have reasonable doubt. If attorney brings up that it’s possible ANYONE could have killed her, that BL often left her at site alone, and there is nothing connecting him with actual trauma that caused death, reasonable doubt.

I gather these witnesses told LE everything as soon as LE contacted them.

I'm sure that's true, but I'm wondering why none of these neighbors ever mentioned anything to the scads of reporters camping out for the past week there.

Yes..legally that is the date.
If you sign a death certificate you note that' time of death' , meaning time a person is officially 'pronounced legally dead' by a licensed medical person. I have signed several days after death even though it's quite evident they passed days before.
Sorry, I knew that from other cases. Actually used the date she was found. Thanks!

Has anyone discussed/thought about if the incident happened in the van, and he moved the body, or if the incident happened out at the campsite?
Endlessly.
We don't think it happened in the van 'cos cadaver dogs would have discovered it. Maybe they did, we don't know.
Maybe an expert cadaverine cleaning agent was used to clean if prior to LE taking it?

He would be named as a suspect not POI if they found any postmortem DNA in the van when they collected it/searched it. So I think whatever happened was all outside near the creek. May have verbally started by the van but ended by the water. IMO

True, it's easy to moralize when in other shoes. Actually I'm in Latin America, and here everyone wants the kids and grandkids to stay around, crowded but happy. Always someone to babysit, always someone to pitch in. Huge weekend dinners in the patio, no matter how humble. They find it very cold that kids are "kicked out" at 18 or so in the USA. Or expected to go live with strangers or alone.

My family is Polish, and it's pretty normal to live near/around your parents and extended family until you have a family of your own. Being socialized in America, I too adapted the belief that I need to leave home at 18/etc. I don't regret living on my own (college offers an easy transition), but I think it's incredibly myopic and paternalistic to believe that living at home in your 20s is some kind of moral failure. Jobs are scarce, that "$15 wage" is barely minimum wage in most big cities, and renting/housing costs only continue to go up. If you have parents who are willing to help you, why would you instead choose to suffer? There's nothing honorable in suffering for the sake of doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member