Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been several high profile cases involving women of color. (just look at some of the most popular podcasts) It is Gabby's age and circumstances that make this a widespread interest. I'm not saying "missing white woman syndrome" hasn't been a thing, but it isn't really the reason for Gabby's coverage, all it takes is for someone with influence to notice a case for it to break into national media (such as John Walsh) In this case, the FBI happens to be involved in a manhunt for her boyfriend, which makes it pretty important to report on nationally.

I read an article the other day comparing Gabby to Lauren Cho because of some loosely drawn lines between "well they're both young and female and were living in a bus/van so it must be the same right" but the fact is Cho's case is totally different in circumstances and there is no reason for national coverage for her when she could very well be missing on purpose.

This case resonates because Gabby represents SO many 22 year old American women right now, skin color excluded. The ambitious, wanderlust, vulnerable girl who didn't want to follow a traditional path, who fell into a relationship with a loner because she probably thought she could fix him and liked the attention he gave her early on. The girl who took to instagram and wanted to be admired and inspire others but was snuffed out by a jealous abuser. This is the feminist mantra of our young generation and the press is just amplifying it because it is a topic that reflects the core of human interest in 2021.

I just wanted to put that out there because I personally feel like comments suggesting Gabby is getting undue recognition are just wrong. All murdered women deserve a voice, but unfortunately the general public has a small attention span. Let Gabby remind them of what she can - we're here for the rest of the women who need strangers to be remembered or found.
Perfect. THIS!

Its simple.
*ring*
"Hello?"
"No, we haven't."
"Here's Brian. Talk to him."
"Its the Petitos. They're looking for Gabby"
and if he is not there...
"we haven't seen him but did notice the van is in the driveway", NOW we Are Concerned Too! Let's call the police...
(assuming they don't know anything)

This is not going to end well - if more people start taking cues from Bullhorn folks and this lady....I get that people are upset and want justice for Gabby. We all do in here, but I don't think the way they're going about it is the right way.

Also - the Laundries like to call 911.

Why are they using Bullhorns?

It's all over tv:

Dirty Laundry? Shout it out!

(I couldn't resist) :D

There have been several high profile cases involving women of color. (just look at some of the most popular podcasts) It is Gabby's age and circumstances that make this a widespread interest. I'm not saying "missing white woman syndrome" hasn't been a thing, but it isn't really the reason for Gabby's coverage, all it takes is for someone with influence to notice a case for it to break into national media (such as John Walsh) In this case, the FBI happens to be involved in a manhunt for her boyfriend, which makes it pretty important to report on nationally.

I read an article the other day comparing Gabby to Lauren Cho because of some loosely drawn lines between "well they're both young and female and were living in a bus/van so it must be the same right" but the fact is Cho's case is totally different in circumstances and there is no reason for national coverage for her when she could very well be missing on purpose.

This case resonates because Gabby represents SO many 22 year old American women right now, skin color excluded. The ambitious, wanderlust, vulnerable girl who didn't want to follow a traditional path, who fell into a relationship with a loner because she probably thought she could fix him and liked the attention he gave her early on. The girl who took to instagram and wanted to be admired and inspire others but was snuffed out by a jealous abuser. This is the feminist mantra of our young generation and the press is just amplifying it because it is a topic that reflects the core of human interest in 2021.

I just wanted to put that out there because I personally feel like comments suggesting Gabby is getting undue recognition are just wrong. All murdered women deserve a voice, but unfortunately the general public has a small attention span. Let Gabby remind them of what she can - we're here for the rest of the women who need strangers to be remembered or found.

I just wish these women didn't have to be murdered in order to have a voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab