Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this article, the Marshals zeroed in on the Not Brian L guy in NY from a tip:

While speaking with the New Yorker, Beckwith explained that the U.S. Marshals Service agents touched the side of his head and noticed "a notch in the upper part of my inner ear just like [Brian's]." Beckwith also told the magazine that he and Brettmann booked their room with a New York ID "which, I guess, was good enough motive to come in," he said, as Petito was originally from New York.

Beckwith recalled to the magazine that an employee at the Fontana Lake marina acted concerned when he tried to use the telephone. According to the New Yorker, the employee also took Beckwith's picture while he was waiting for a shuttle and provided it to authorities, who showed it to Beckwith when they ambushed his room.

I believe the guy is from New York but the Marshalls hit on him in western North Carolina. The Fontana Dam is far west in the state (close to TN) and the area (Graham County) is less populated than other nearby counties.

There have been lots of sightings in western NC, including a hefty number in Haywood County, which is NE of Fontana Dam. They say they are checking everything.

It’s amazing how generic-looking the guy is.

jmo

So, are we at the point where the police and FBI have used up their resources and are just not looking anymore? What's everyone's thoughts?
Nah, if anything I think more resources have been added since the autopsy results earlier this month. The US Marshals story shows they are following leads on the AT sightings at least. And my guess is they'll continue in the reserve until they feel they have completely ruled it out. It's possible they think there is evidence in there as well.

Looking closer at the question:
When did BL's parents find out that GP was dead?

There are a number of events that happened which should have led BL's parents to question what was going on, and IMO, their actions show that they knew more about the circumstances than anyone else.

AUG 31
ACTION: RL cancels camping reservations for two people for Sep 1-3

(Did they know BL was on his way back from WY?)

SEP 1 (10:26AM) - BL arrives in North Port with the van, without GP
They knew GP was no longer with BL and the van.

SEP 4

ACTION: RL buys BL a new phone
They knew BL's prior phone was gone/missing/discarded.

SEP 6-8

ACTION: Family camping trip
(Were they trying to avoid being in an area with cell service so they would have an excuse for not answering the Petitos' calls?)

SEP 10 - They receive calls/texts from GP's family
ACTION: They do not respond to the calls

They knew GP's family was looking for her.
(Did they know by then that there was not an "innocent" explanation for GP's disappearance and that things they said could get BL into trouble?)

SEP 11 - LE, looking for GP, seize the van from their home
ACTION: They (at some point prior to this) have hired a lawyer and have his info at the ready.
They knew that LE was looking for GP and wanted to question BL.
(Did they know by then that there was not an "innocent" explanation for GP's disappearance and that things they said could get BL into trouble?)

SEP 13 - BL leaves home (according to his parents); attorney also claims (on 9/28) that this is the last time he spoke with him (source)
ACTION: They do not report him missing immediately, despite reportedly searching for him for "hours" at the Reserve
They knew that BL was "missing"

SEP 14 - Mustang ticketed at Reserve
STATEMENT:
“This is understandably an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. It is our understanding that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment.” Source

SEP 15 - BL named person of interest
STATEMENT:
“In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that 'any statement made will be used against you' is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter. This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel," Source
(Noting here that, according to his own claims, BL's attorney had not actually spoken to BL in two days and would not report him missing for an additional two, despite BL now being declared a person of interest)

SEP 16

ACTION: Remove Mustang from the Reserve

SEP 17

ACTION: BL reported missing (by attorney)
(Why now? Could it be because this was the first day that "Spread Creek" was mentioned in the news (source)? Could his parents have known what LE would find there and needed to declare BL missing before that news broke and he was officially declared a suspect, so that they couldn't be charged with aiding a fugitive from justice?)

SEP 18 - Bethunes post the video of the van filmed at Spread Creek

SEP 19 - GP's body found
STATEMENT:
“The news about Gabby Petito is heartbreaking. The Laundrie family prays for Gabby and her family.” Source
This is the point at which everyone knew GP was dead.
(But how long had they known before this?)

Last edited:
From Brian Entin this morning in case anyone missed it:

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1450144391046254602?s=21

I appreciate this reporter so much. He keeps it respectful, imo

Entin shows us the memorial up close. It’s a bit much to me. He also gives us nuggets but ignores comments that are being asked over and over.

Entin recommends the Australian 60 minutes. If anyone call tell me how to view on iPhone? Thanks

What a waste of time and resources. Unfamiliar with the local laws but curious what protection would one have when putting up random signs in public and having another person remove it. In addition, curious as to the local ordinances are and if they're allowed to put up any type of signage wherever they'd like. Many municipalities have ordinances that require a permit, etc...

I'm assuming it was placed in the public area vs. CL property. If not, this is even more absurd

I'd say I'm curious but the more I think of it, I'm not really.

I am going to take a wild guess and say that its more to get their attention in hopes that it will cause a reaction... because I completely agree that its dumb. MOO

I'm not sure what he's alluding to. That they think he's dead? That is certainly my theory.

Here's the thing: I just can't get over the colossal level of stupid involved here. (In my opinion...) It looks like Brian Laundrie killed his girlfriend on Aug 27. It appears he ran away and then hitchhiked back on Aug 29. The van is parked in the same spot for some 4 days. He leaves her body across the creek from where the van was parked for 4 days, and decides to simply drive home in her van and pretend like nothing happened. I mean, it should be blindingly obvious to anyone who finds oneself in this situation that you do one of two things:

1. Hide her body where nobody will ever find it.

-or-

2. Contact the authorities and explain it was an "accident" or whatever.

Laundrie did neither of these two things and instead did things that are inexplicable. The only logical conclusion I can reach is that he was not in his right mind. He had a van at his disposal and could transport her body practically anywhere. Instead he leaves her near where the van was parked for 4 days. Then he simply drives home to his parents. He visits with his sister. Then he disappears. It really looks to me like in his mind he was seeing them for one last time.

Then we have the really strange thing that CL said. Regarding Brian's flight home, she said something like, "that is what he does when..." and the cut herself off and said that was for the authorities. Hopefully somebody can provide a citation on this.

Anyway, we are not allowed to discuss mental illnesses but there is clearly something going on here in my view.

That's my theory. But, I think he did tell his parents. And they know his history. He is NOT acting rational at all. Last night I listened to some of the music he listen to on his way home on spotify.

Last edited:
I believe the guy is from New York but the Marshalls hit on him in western North Carolina. The Fontana Dam is far west in the state (close to TN) and the area (Graham County) is less populated than other nearby counties.

There have been lots of sightings in western NC, including a hefty number in Haywood County, which is NE of Fontana Dam. They say they are checking everything.

It’s amazing how generic-looking the guy is.

jmo

MOO putting two things together, $170,000 and all the talk about BL being on the AT, is a pretty good recipe for creating lots of sightings. If I see anyone that closely resembles BL and I get a strong 'is he/or isn't he' feeling, I am reporting it just in case its him and he gets picked up nearby. I'd want my cut of that money

Happy Monday, folks! :p

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the likelihood of the Laundries being in communication with BL?

It's feasible to think that they may have helped him flee to wherever it is that he's gone, but is it at all possible that they can have been communicating with him all this time?

Personally, I just can't see how! There's no 'base' that I can think of that LE won't have covered in terms of shadowing them, monitoring electronic communication and/or having the house bugged.

Is there a way I'm missing that they could still somehow be communicating with BL, or getting messages to and from him despite being under intense scrutiny right under the nose of the Feds!?

MOO
Parents -> SB -> BL would be a path of communication that could be legally protected, however unlikely that seems.

Happy Monday, folks! :p

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the likelihood of the Laundries being in communication with BL?

It's feasible to think that they may have helped him flee to wherever it is that he's gone, but is it at all possible that they can have been communicating with him all this time?

Personally, I just can't see how! There's no 'base' that I can think of that LE won't have covered in terms of shadowing them, monitoring electronic communication and/or having the house bugged.

Is there a way I'm missing that they could still somehow be communicating with BL, or getting messages to and from him despite being under intense scrutiny right under the nose of the Feds!?

MOO
Smoke signals? :D

Hypothetical question. So say LE has a feeling he may be hiding in someone’s house. Can they search it at this point, or do they need more evidence, like a sighting, etc?

That's my theory. But, I think he did tell his parents. And they know his history. He is NOT acting rational at all. Last night I listened to some of the music he listen to on his way home from spotify.
Well, for knowing such dreadful news about Gabby, they were certainly all smiley-faced munching on their smores at the De Soto campground, just one happy family. And Happy happy that Brian was home unexpectedly on the first of Sept. I don't think that they knew that Gabby was dead. That there was some sort of break-up, obviously, didn't seem to bother them, though. jmo

That's my theory. But, I think he did tell his parents. And they know his history. He is NOT acting rational at all. Last night I listened to some of the music he listen to on his way home from spotify.

The previous posts is also my theory, and I also believe he told his parents, but not until the calls starting coming in. Up until then, I think he really was keeping an internal pot lid on all that he had done and keeping it buried until he had to face the music when GP's family started calling. Its quite possible that he finally had to confront it and when he did, he went to the swamp and killed himself.

Looking closer at the question:
When did BL's parents find out that GP was dead?

There are a number of events that happened which should have led BL's parents to question what was going on, and IMO, their actions show that they knew more about the circumstances than anyone else.

AUG 31
ACTION: RL cancels camping reservations for two people for Sep 1-3

(Did they know BL was on his way back from WY?)

SEP 1 (10:26AM) - BL arrives in North Port with the van, without GP
They knew GP was no longer with BL and the van.

SEP 4

ACTION: RL buys BL a new phone
They knew BL's prior phone was gone/missing/discarded.

SEP 6-8

ACTION: Family camping trip
(Were they trying to avoid being in an area with cell service so they would have an excuse for not answering the Petitos' calls?)

SEP 10 - They receive calls/texts from GP's family
ACTION: They do not respond to the calls

They knew GP's family was looking for her.

SEP 11 - LE, looking for GP, seize the van from their home
ACTION: They (at some point prior to this) have hired a lawyer and have his info at the ready.
They knew that LE was looking for GP and wanted to question BL.

SEP 13 - BL leaves home (according to his parents); attorney also claims (on 9/28) that this is the last time he spoke with him (source)
ACTION: They do not report him missing immediately, despite reportedly searching for him for "hours" at the Reserve
They knew that BL was "missing"

SEP 14 - Mustang ticketed at Reserve
STATEMENT:
“This is understandably an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. It is our understanding that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment.” Source

SEP 15 - BL named person of interest
STATEMENT:
“In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that 'any statement made will be used against you' is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter. This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel," Source
(Noting here that, according to his own claims, BL's attorney had not actually spoken to BL since BL in two days, despite BL being officially declared a person of interest)

SEP 16

ACTION: Remove Mustang from the Reserve

SEP 17

ACTION: BL reported missing (by attorney)
(Why now? Could it be because this was the first day that "Spread Creek" was mentioned in the news (source)? Could his parents have known what LE would find there and needed to declare BL missing before that news broke and he was officially declared a suspect, so that they couldn't be charged with aiding a fugitive from justice?)

SEP 18 - Bethunes post the video of the van filmed at Spread Creek

SEP 19 - GP's body found
STATEMENT:
“The news about Gabby Petito is heartbreaking. The Laundrie family prays for Gabby and her family.” Source
This is the point at which everyone knew GP was dead.
(But how long had they known before this?)

This should be on the first page of every thread so it will be easier to answer/quiet all the questions of what proof we have that the Laundries are very possibly involved, or at the very least, unethical.

Well, for knowing such dreadful news about Gabby, they were certainly all smiley-faced munching on their smores at the De Soto campground, just one happy family. And Happy happy that Brian was home unexpectedly on the first of Sept. I don't think that they knew that Gabby was dead. That there was some sort of break-up, obviously, didn't seem to bother them, though. jmo

GP and BL had an on again/ off again relationship since high school. And according to Rose even when they were together they would fight and GP would go and stay with her from time to time. I don't think it would take much of a explanation from BL for the parents to buy that they had broke up again and she was off staying with a friend or flew back to NY to be with her mom.

I'm not sure what he's alluding to. That they think he's dead? That is certainly my theory.

Here's the thing: I just can't get over the colossal level of stupid involved here. (In my opinion...) It looks like Brian Laundrie killed his girlfriend on Aug 27. It appears he ran away and then hitchhiked back on Aug 29. The van is parked in the same spot for some 4 days. He leaves her body across the creek from where the van was parked for 4 days, and decides to simply drive home in her van and pretend like nothing happened. I mean, it should be blindingly obvious to anyone who finds oneself in this situation that you do one of two things:

1. Hide her body where nobody will ever find it.

-or-

2. Contact the authorities and explain it was an "accident" or whatever.

Laundrie did neither of these two things and instead did things that are inexplicable. The only logical conclusion I can reach is that he was not in his right mind. He had a van at his disposal and could transport her body practically anywhere. Instead he leaves her near where the van was parked for 4 days. Then he simply drives home to his parents. He visits with his sister. Then he disappears. It really looks to me like in his mind he was seeing them for one last time.

Then we have the really strange thing that CL said. Regarding Brian's flight home, she said something like, "that is what he does when..." and the cut herself off and said that was for the authorities. Hopefully somebody can provide a citation on this.

Anyway, we are not allowed to discuss mental illnesses but there is clearly something going on here in my view.
re your comment in bold
Cassie Transcript here ( It's not a great transcript cause it's an auto transcript & there'll be other transcript links) Brian Laundrie's sister Cassie Laundrie breaks silence on Gabby Petito case | ABC Exclusive

Portion of it here
Question: Did you know the van was back and you are …?

Cassie Laundrie : No.

Question: So you didn’t know he came back without the …?

Cassie Laundrie: I assumed he was home, because that’s what he did when he was – actually, I don’t mean that.
(
ETA scroll down to the next post with the ABC transcript & it says this:
Cassie Laundrie: I assumed he flew back, because that's what he did when he is - actually I don't want to say that.)

Questioner: No problem. No problem.

Cassie Laundrie: I think it’s more police stuff.

Question: Okay, uh, but is it like his behavior to go on a trip with her and then leave her somewhere like something like that has never been …?

Cassie Laundrie: No, I mean. No, nothing like this has ever happened before.

Question: But I’m saying he doesn’t really have one. Does he like the personality that he would?

Cassie Laundrie: No he’s very uh … he’s very. He always does the right thing, like in the body cam, he cooperates with the police, and he’s a wonderful uncle. He’s always been there when I need him. He’s, I mean, he’s been there whenever Gabby needed him.

Question: So when you saw the video, did it sound like just spit to you or did it sound like your brother, or, you know what I mean, is that right?

Cassie Laundrie: It sounds typical of the two of them, every time they fight they take a little break and come back and be fine, because that’s what you do as a couple – sit together in mountains.

Last edited:
Grasping at straws here, and given nothing else I have tried to rehash what little we have. So with that I look at work history and experience. Publix is something BL is familiar with and has some understanding on. I doubt he is what he proclaims to be as a survivalist.
For one a survivalist would be able to manage and support one's self independently.

What I am surmising is that he knows the foods a publix dumps, and is sustaining himself this way through dumpster diving. It may not be publix but certainly an easy route in and easy out in a remote area. JMO

Edit for typos.. need coffee

This is a very good point. I think Publix keeps their dumpsters locked up, but maybe they keep them unlocked at certain times to make it easy for employees to throw away things. There might be certain times of the day/night when food is tossed. If BL did work at Publix, as has been claimed by people saying they worked with him as a stocker, he should know enough to be able to watch and figure out when they are unlocking them - - if they are accessible from outside in some way. When I drive behind Publix, I can't even figure out where the dumpster is. It looks like it might be in a huge metal box.

The Winn Dixie near me doesn't lock up the dumpster at all; it's just a normal size dumpster sitting right behind the store. From time to time I see people rummaging through it, mostly at night, when I drive behind the store on my shortcut in to the parking lot to shop.

I, too, doubt that BL has hunting, trapping, and foraging skills sufficient to survive, although he may know a little about these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l