Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what the lawyer said or didn't say, the fact that Brian was found dead in the Park a short distance from where the Mustang was parked and the parents saying they were concerned about his welfare when he left, confirm for me, at least, that Brian was very upset went he left the house and intended to attempt suicide. Which he then did, successfully. As someone else recently posted, this case is pretty straightforward if you leave aside all the speculation. jmo

Yes, it is. In spite of everything, Occam's Razor is applicable in the mystery of BL's disappearance. If it's true that CL went to the reserve on 9/13 when BL didn't come home, and that both he and RL searched for 5 hours the next day as well, it was horrible happenstance that nothing was found at that point. While not affecting the outcome for poor GP and her family, the circus nature of these events could have been avoided. MOO

I have looked at a lot of maps, read through all the official documents including the search warrant, arrest warrant, FBI posters, and statements. I have watched all the interviews and was present online during pivotal moments. I have heard the discrepancies, heard the clarifications, and considered the "experts'," news anchors', and WS members' views.

Taking all the information I have gathered into context, IMO, the overall big picture is not complicated nor convoluted. There are holes in public knowledge, obviously, which is to be expected, but I do not feel it is necessary to have to force pieces to fit. I also do not think every word out of SB's mouth is a lie. I think he makes mistakes, corrects them, and would not put himself on the line by lying in regards to things the FBI could turn around and refute him on. Taken at face value, the compilation of facts seem to speak for themselves. JMO.

But I feel nearly alone in this assessment.
You are not alone, I feel the same way.

I’m wondering people’s thoughts about the retention date of SB. He said he became “involved” Sept 11 (just as, or immediately after, the van was towed, apparently, based on his timeline).

Then he tells Ashley that anything from Sept 1-10th was privileged. But he hasn’t apparently been retained on those dates—so can privilege really be retrospective?

Thrn when pressed about that by Ashley he said something like, Ive been their lawyer for 20 years so everything they say to me is privileged—does that really work? Is it really a blanket thing like that?

and then, of course if he represented the parents in the juicing business or whatever it was, that still would not have ever included BL, before the 11th, right?

Do I have any of this wrong? Did what he said about legal representation add up to anybody?

JMO

Yes & he said he misspoke because he talked all day to media & was tired & it’s like, no one made him do 32 interviews. He’s such an irresponsible & unprofessional person. It’s hard to watch, in part because he’s accomplishing so little. Jmo
Oh, I think he accomplished a lot in that interview when he "misspoke". In his tiredness he slipped up and told the truth about them grieving, IMHO.

ETA - and all with ONE word.

question ....was I reported that CL and/or RL went to the reserve for 4 or5 hours to look for BL when he didn't return home monday night 9/13 and was it reported RL left a note on the mustang for BL if so may i get a link please and thank you appreciate xx

At this point, I'm most interested to find out, assuming the notebook has anything written in it and it's salvageable, whether or not Brian wrote anything to either refute or suggest that his parents had any knowledge of anything.
Re a refutation of parental knowledge: As BL's actions have been absolutely self-serving through the entire timeline I would be shocked if anything like that was expressed in his notebooks. If anything is written in there pertaining to this tragedy I would expect a story that paints him as innocent victim who either was abandoned, couldn't locate her, or stumbled upon her body and panicked. I'm not holding my breath that the unvarnished truth is in there.

I have looked at a lot of maps, read through all the official documents including the search warrant, arrest warrant, FBI posters, and statements. I have watched all the interviews and was present online during pivotal moments. I have heard the discrepancies, heard the clarifications, and considered the "experts'," news anchors', and WS members' views.

Taking all the information I have gathered into context, IMO, the overall big picture is not complicated nor convoluted. There are holes in public knowledge, obviously, which is to be expected, but I do not feel it is necessary to have to force pieces to fit. I also do not think every word out of SB's mouth is a lie. I think he makes mistakes, corrects them, and would not put himself on the line by lying in regards to things the FBI could turn around and refute him on. Taken at face value, the compilation of facts seem to speak for themselves. JMO.

Not so. I’ll stand with you. I’m not hating on the guy. Seriously. I think he’s willingly faced the firing squad and lives to tell about it. He knew it was going to be a battle once he put that microphone on - there would be no taking of prisoners. He risks his career, reputation and livelihood. I can only imagine how emotionally invested he is with this family. He probably feels like family by now. I don’t agree with all he says or does but I think he’s shown character strength to speak out for this family - who might be considered amongst the most despised people in America. Can you imagine if he just went home and kept to himself? The Laundrie’s would have no one to speak for them. We wouldn’t have a lot more to talk about. Cassie is grieving. NPPD barely shows up and the FBI ain’t talking. He knows he’s being scrutinized by half the worlds population. Still, he saddles up. imo

Oh, I think he accomplished a lot in that interview when he "misspoke". In his tiredness he slipped up and told the truth about them grieving, IMHO.

ETA - and all with ONE word.
That’s very true! I was unclear—I had meant on his client’s behalf he has not accomplished much IMO. But you’re totally right, he’s definitely accomplished adding fuel to the fire for the public.

He's been utterly insensitive to Gabby's disappearance and death. 'Brian just took her credit cards', text dropped into media's phones in the midst of the coroner's announcement of her COD.
He has now decided that attack is his best method of defence because he dislikes the public push-back.
A wiser lawyer might have advised them to open up, do interviews and the public could well have met them with compassion and understanding.

When Cassie was asked whether she believed her parents were helping BL to hide, she replied very simply 'I don't know'.
He did a bad job and he still does not realise that the very worst thing one can do while in a hole is to dig.

This disrespects Gabby. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m waiting for more info about the weeklong break BL took to fly back to FL to “empty out the storage locker”.

IMO the lack of focus on what GP was doing, where she stayed, if they communicated, what BL was doing for the rest of the time he wasn’t emptying a locker I makes me think it’s important.

Not so. I’ll stand with you. I’m not hating on the guy. Seriously. I think he’s willingly faced the firing squad and lives to tell about it.

Respectfully snipped by me for space.

What I don't understand is why he keeps doing these interviews. He has no obligation to do so. I posted before, all he had to do since BL's remains were found was to say that his clients are devastated at their son's death and no further statements will be forthcoming from the family at this time and please respect their privacy.

Yet he doesn't. Even worse, he goes out and muddies the waters further and makes his clients look worse in the public eye.

Why? I can't think of any reason. It just doesn't make sense.

Edited to add: and why is he so combative? How is that helping?

Last edited:

I agree with your assessment.

It's very possible, that last meeting with his attorney was to advise him to turn himself in and he did not want to heed the advice.

This is something I believe. I think SB might have wanted to negotiate info on her location for a plea and have BL turn himself in. A very reasonable way to proceed as many had suggested early on.

I agree largely with your assessment, so don’t feel alone. I think the story is a lot simpler than some of may have imagined along the way. But, that’s what will happen when an information void exists. They’re 100% permitted not to speak by law, but it is human nature to speculate, even to speculate wildly. That will never change IMO.

I also agree that not every word SB says is a lie. However, he has made so many mistakes that IMO a sensible person would fire him. He doesn’t even appear to keep notes on dates. He has caused the majority of the criticism against him & the family, IMO. Maybe the L’s don’t trust anyone else or can’t afford a better lawyer. But he has done a terrible job of representing their interests. For example, a simple statement from the L’s that they’re grieving both the loss B & G, please respect their privacy, etc, would have diffused a lot for the general public. Not total media saturation railing against… the media, & the public. His priorities are just way off & he does not know how to do PR. I do feel for the L’s as far as losing their son, & IMO SB has done nothing to buy them some peace, grace, or benefit of the doubt. JMO

Last edited:
SB must be having nightmares about what is in that notebook.

If the notebook was in the open bag that CL miraculously made a beeline to, the L's might know exactly what was written in it. Heck even if it was found in the backpack (the bag discovered by LE that was not picked up by CL), the L's still might know exactly what is in that notebook.
No matter what is written in it, even if it was a confession, it would be difficult to prove who wrote in it and the date it was written. People in BL's circle could claim someone else must have got a hold of it and wrote in it or it was written years ago as a "joke," etc. Therefore I doubt it makes any difference at all. IMO.

I'm very interested in what was said between BL and SB ?
Since SB claimed to have been representing both BL and the Laundrie parents ?

Did SB say anything to BL -- that may have been the tipping point for BL to take his own life ?
Not being sympathetic to BL if he murdered Gabby which it looks like --but that lawyer may have some 'splainin' to do !
Sorry, not trusting SB.
Not that sorry. :rolleyes:

He seems to bend any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter, to (SB) .....
Now I have that song in my head. :oops:
MOO.
Totally agree. SB seems to be trying to cover his behind, and 'doth protest too much' IMO.

He's been utterly insensitive to Gabby's disappearance and death. 'Brian just took her credit cards', text dropped into media's phones in the midst of the coroner's announcement of her COD.
He has now decided that attack is his best method of defence because he dislikes the public push-back.
A wiser lawyer might have advised them to open up, do interviews and the public could well have met them with compassion and understanding.

When Cassie was asked whether she believed her parents were helping BL to hide, she replied very simply 'I don't know'.
He did a bad job and he still does not realise that the very worst thing one can do while in a hole is to dig.

This disrespects Gabby. <modnsip>
I would mostly agree with this. However, insensitivity, frustration, anger, missteps, or apparent all-around unlikability doth not a liar make. Jmo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member