Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it sounds more like North Carolina where she was living before she moved to Florida. But its so garbled I don't think there is anyway to say for sure what she said. Just another piece we will never know the answer to.

Yeah, probably true. Didn't sound like NORTH Carolina to me. Maybe "Carolina" although I don't think people ever refer to the state of NC as Carolina. (NC & SC are The Carolinas, of course.) But if she did say that I wonder why. NC is great but she still felt like she was from here years later because she'd once lived here 18 months? Odd. But so was telling the cops she was a nutritionist.
JMO

I'm not sure what the outcome would have been if he had proof that he had deposited money in the account, and was able to prove they were funding the trip with that money. Charges of fraud would be based on the assumption Brian knew she was dead, though, right?
One more thing to consider. IF Gabby was the only person on the account in question; BL would not have been able to deposit money into it without Gabby's signature on deposit slips at the least.

One more thing to consider. IF Gabby was the only person on the account in question; BL would not have been able to deposit money into it without Gabby's signature on deposit slips at the least.
Maybe it depends on the bank. My bank lets me send money to anybody (mostly my kids) with only an email address and ditto my PayPal.

I'm not sure about that. It may depend of the bank and type of account. I have had accounts and family members have had accounts where anyone with the account number could put money IN. Taking it out was a different matter.
JMO

I'm not sure about that. It may depend of the bank and type of account. I have had accounts and family members have had accounts where anyone with the account number could put money IN. Taking it out was a different matter.
JMO
It may be just my own experience with banks i've used before. I am wrong sometimes, only human after all

Happy Halloween. Today was the hoped for end of Gabby's van life trip.
Something feels stranger to me today, almost like it's all over but there is no ending. No justice for Gabby.
Anybody else feeling another big wave of sad?

MOO

BBM
You're not wrong IMO. "end with no ending" is quite apt given the situation.
Will be interesting in the near or distant future if we learn any more about what happened, how and why.

True. I wasn't disputing the existence of the warrant. But it cannot be used to prove BL "stole money." And it seemed it was being offered as proof of that.
JMO

It is being offered as proof, because to the bank, it doesn't matter whatever private negotiations Gabby and Brian may or may not have had about said account.

Legally, the only person attached to that account with the fiduciary responsibility to it was Gabby; and if Gabby had been found alive, she would have been asked to clear this up if she could so do and release Brian from the warrant; and probably Gabby would have gotten a caution from the bank about letting someone be an "unauthorized, authorized user".

Without Gabby's testimony, all that we know is that in the eyes of the bank, without Brian being listed as an authorized user, Brian had in fact stolen from both (a), Gabby; and (b), the bank.

I know people say thats the law, but its easy to deposit money. you don't have to sign deposit slips, except for some places require it if you deposit cash. And you can deposit into a atm.

Am I correct that we don’t have any trace of evidence that BL ever deposited money into Gabby’s account?

Not sure if questions need a MOO, but here it is anyway.

MOO

You are correct.

There is zero evidence that they ever pooled funds, used each other's bank account, or, well, anything, IIRC. It's all supposition based on posters' own individual current and past financial arrangements with family or other loved ones; and blue-skying.

We know nothing about if Brian was banked or unbanked at all; though maybe if someone here is also a worker (former or current) at Publix, they have some insight as to whether or not Publix "strongly suggests"/mandates the use of direct deposit on the part of their employees.

I know people say thats the law, but its easy to deposit money. you don't have to sign deposit slips, except for some places require it if you deposit cash. And you can deposit into a atm.

Starting in October we are not allowed to deposit cash into any account but our own! U can deposit a check ! Not cash!

if they had money problems, how did he steal over $1000 from her just a few days later?

The money problems were probably primarily BL's money problems. Since BL stole HER money it's fair to assume he had the problem with money, as in not having it, IMO.
They weren't married so he had no legal right to anything that was hers, including her money.
Even if they had been married he would not have the right to her money in her personal account without her permission.

Am I correct that we don’t have any trace of evidence that BL ever deposited money into Gabby’s account?

Not sure if questions need a MOO, but here it is anyway.

MOO
we don't have a trace of evidence that GP ever deposited money into her account either. We are pretty traceless on lots of things concerning this case.

True. I wasn't disputing the existence of the warrant. But it cannot be used to prove BL "stole money." And it seemed it was being offered as proof of that.
JMO

I'm not sure if stealing is all that different from fraud, but the indictment for BL stated that he "... knowingly and with intent to defraud used one or more unauthorized access devices, namely a Capitol One Bank debit card...."

Intent to defraud seems to mean stealing, IMO, or does anyone think it meant BL intended to get his own money but it was in her account and she was dead, so that was the fraud part?

Read the documents: Brian Laundrie arrest warrant

As others have said, banks will take deposits from others not on the account. He may also have given her the cash to deposit herself. Either way, you're not supposed to give unauthorized people your card and PIN for them to use, but I think it's really only an issue if that person overdraws your account and you claim you didn't make with withdrawal that causes the negative balance...that, or if you're wanted by the FBI.

The money problems were probably primarily BL's money problems. Since BL stole HER money it's fair to assume he had the problem with money, as in not having it, IMO.
They weren't married so he had no legal right to anything that was hers, including her money.
Even if they had been married he would not have the right to her money in her personal account without her permission.
Would she have rights to his money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member