Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Kick Back and Unwind - Off Topic Side Chat

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is Open:

Please acknowledge before proceeding

Emotions and frustration are running rampant in the thread and taking it out on others is not permitted. If you need a break, take a break. Continuing to engage in this fashion is not moving the conversation forward.

Of Note:
-Move on from bickering
-Let go of the domestic violence debates
-Stop bringing in mental health

Tip: When you feel most compelled to hit "post" after quickly whipping up that response, see it as a sign you need to step back and re-read what you have written before clicking that button!

STOP HERE FIRST
———————————————
Mod Note:

Welcome to Thread #77.

Websleuths has 100’s of active threads, and nearly 200k members. With only a few volunteer Mods/Admins we need your help in keeping Gabby’s threads relative, civil, and engaging. Following the rules that are clearly outlined below will support the Mod Team and enhance your experience and interactions with fellow Posters.

The Rules:
-Domestic Violence Discussions/Debates are not permitted
-The Moab Stop is no longer open for discussion (there are 76 threads filled with this info)
-Mental Health is not permitted
-Moab double murders are not permitted unless LE were to change position at some point
-No Bickering (Ignore or “Roll and Scroll”)
-Do not suggest Gabby died by anything other than what the ME has stated (Manual Strangulation)
-Do not Trash Brians parents (You can share opinions or perspectives of events, but rise above the rest. They have not been named POI’s in the case. Stick to what is known / has been reported.)
-Any other rules as outlined in TOS

Tip: Notice if you are posting about the case or about other Posters. Posting about other Posters is off topic. This can show up in the following ways:
-“I don’t know why others……”
-Party X or Party Y “Sympathizers”
-“Some Posters…”
-“Everybody keeps ……”

In a nutshell, be aware of what the intent is behind your post. Is it to bash fellow posters or is it to discuss the case?

Thank you for your help and support!

A Very Tired Mod That Appreciates Each of You,
Tiff

The distance from his remains and the Slough Canal is approx. 430 feet.
As well as fairly continuous rainfall, I'm guessing the water level in the canal (to the east) rose to also flood the area.
I don't see him walking into water at the time of death.
I think the water level rose after he died. imo
Ah, ok, gotcha.

The Rules:
-Domestic Violence Discussions/Debates are not permitted
-The Moab Stop is no longer open for discussion (there are 76 threads filled with this info)
-Mental Health is not permitted
-Moab double murders are not permitted unless LE were to change position at some point
-No Bickering (Ignore or “Roll and Scroll”)
-Do not suggest Gabby died by anything other than what the ME has stated (Manual Strangulation)
-Do not Trash Brians parents (You can share opinions or perspectives of events, but rise above the rest. They have not been named POI’s in the case. Stick to what is known / has been reported.)
-Any other rules as outlined in TOS
Thanks, hope these will be remembered and adhered to.

Carrying over:

Last night’s Banfield interview.

2. Date he was retained:

The NPPD was handed attorney contact information on Saturday, September 11th. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438124117149028353

For those who have followed this closely, you will remember that SB initially refused to provide the date he was retained – because he did not know what evidence was out there I suspect (MOO) and now that he’s comfortable with what is public, for the first time in the Banfield interview (2:26), he states he was retained on 9/11.

Later in the interview (at 30:26) SB tells us:

1. NPPD contacted him at 11:30 p.m. Saturday night
2. FBI contacted him at 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning
3. 8:00 a.m. contacted by an FBI agent (who was assigned overnight I am guessing IMO) to be the liaison to him. MOO

This is a 'danged' if you do, 'danged' if you don't predicament. If he reveals he was retained on this matter prior to BL arriving home, he has provided evidence against his clients. If he goes with the 11th, he faces challenges to the prior conversations not being privileged. MOO IMO, I still believe he was contacted before BL returned home. MOO. Not fact.

3) Brian Laundrie already gone:

We now know Brian was already gone by Monday 9/13. We also know from the following report filed by Brian Entin, https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1437912788899405826

that as of this date and continuing for the whole first week when they knew Brian Laundrie was already gone, police were expressing public frustration that Brian wouldn’t speak to them and, and they were issuing a plea to Bertolino to get his client to cooperate and they said nothing to correct this. Yet we know that Steven Bertolino didn't remain silent. Rather, he issued statements on the search for Gabby, all as he knew – according to HIS own claims of his report to the FBI, that Brian had already fled.

@BrianEntin

North Port, FL police say they have had conversations with Brian Laundrie's attorney - but he is not providing them the details they need.

12:04 PM · Sep 15, 2021
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438171889248227332

Do we see how nothing SB says is consistent? Do we see how he had seemingly repeatedly boxed himself in, tried to get out, and got aggravated when the public and investigative journalists wouldn’t just accept his answers and let it go? MOO

The fact is that on those dates, the only person who was reported as “missing” was Gabby. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438188373210959872

MOO, it was only after they got busted by news’ video evidence that the Mustang pick up could not have occurred Thursday because it was gone on Tuesday and back in the driveway on Wednesday that

1) the date was switched
2) SB contacted ethics committee re "Brian missing"
3) they filed a MP report

(Time 18:54). To me this whole sequence requires scrutiny. Because hearing his shifting narratives make it seems pretty clear (to me only) that they had no intention to report BL missing at the time he went missing, and that SB casually mentioning it to the FBI without reporting it, if this occurred, was only done to cover himself. They intended to let this go for as long as they could. MOO

At 19:40 he says told the FBI Monday, and he says the FBI believes that too and that the FBI knows that the day the parents’ child went missing could be confusing because they “blended together”? Really? The FBI said this? /s

All of the above is JMO only.

Re retention date - no, he specifically does not say he was retained 9/11. He says (paraphrase) "you asked me when did I become involved in this particular case...that was on 9/11.". She then presses "so before then no attorney client privilege" and he says "no, I've been their attorney for ages /anything discussed with them on a legal matter is privileged."

He is very much not providing a specific engagement date for anything to do with GP/the Ls' legal concerns with respect to that.

That's reasonable and appropriate.

That said - He really needs to learn how to control a conversation, to stop repeating past statements (and misstatements when he's trying to clear them up). He behaves like an uncoached hostile witness rather than a professional.

I know this has already been posted many times - just planting it here on the first page for reference. :)

OCT 22, 2021
Bertolino & Banfield: Ashleigh sits down one-on-one with the Laundries' attorney | Banfield

I have looked at a lot of maps, read through all the official documents including the search warrant, arrest warrant, FBI posters, and statements. I have watched all the interviews and was present online during pivotal moments. I have heard the discrepancies, heard the clarifications, and considered the "experts'," news anchors', and WS members' views.

Taking all the information I have gathered into context, IMO, the overall big picture is not complicated nor convoluted. There are holes in public knowledge, obviously, which is to be expected, but I do not feel it is necessary to have to force pieces to fit. I also do not think every word out of SB's mouth is a lie. I think he makes mistakes, corrects them, and would not put himself on the line by lying in regards to things the FBI could turn around and refute him on. Taken at face value, the compilation of facts seem to speak for themselves. JMO.

But I feel nearly alone in this assessment.

Last edited:
Bringing forward @BCSleuth 's post from the previous closed thread.

Yeah, except SB has now walked back "grieving" and said he misspoke.

source: https://twitter.com/mikerreports/status/1451701213238530050
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, he (air quotes with my fingers) "misspoke" all right. More like a slip of the tongue if you ask me. He only said he "misspoke" because that was important information he was NOT supposed to say. I would think lawyers would be more careful about what they say, especially in recorded interviews with the media. He should have stuck with text only IMHO. He could easily correct that before posting for all to see. Hard to take back words said in a video. We all heard and saw ya say it!!!

I know this has already been posted many times - just planting it here on the first page for reference. :)

OCT 22, 2021
Bertolino & Banfield: Ashleigh sits down one-on-one with the Laundries' attorney | Banfield
As soon as she started questioning about who was involved in the conversations, I immediately thought, here we go. Finally someone thought about that privilege loophole. Then she waited until the end to actually ask it and I wanted to literally cry. I sincerely hope this interview continues on Monday or the next reporter was watching and picks that up for their interview.

Bringing forward @BCSleuth 's post from the previous closed thread.

Yeah, except SB has now walked back "grieving" and said he misspoke.

source: https://twitter.com/mikerreports/status/1451701213238530050
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, he (air quotes with my fingers) "misspoke" all right. More like a slip of the tongue if you ask me. He only said he "misspoke" because that was important information he was NOT supposed to say. I would think lawyers would be more careful about what they say, especially in recorded interviews with the media. He should have stuck with text only IMHO. He could easily correct that before posting for all to see. Hard to take back words said in a video. We all heard and saw ya say it!!!
Yes & he said he misspoke because he talked all day to media & was tired & it’s like, no one made him do 32 interviews. He’s such an irresponsible & unprofessional person. It’s hard to watch, in part because he’s accomplishing so little. Jmo

Hmmm… I went back to listen to the protesters interview with Cassie to see if she mentioned anything about the missing persons report. I didn’t hear anything about that, but I heard something interesting right at the beginning that I hadn’t seen discussed here. Forgive me if I missed a thread!

At the beginning, she states that the parents and Brian showed up in the mustang, not the van, on Sept 1. And then says “I found out [ about the van ] the next day with everybody else.
Who is Everybody Else? Did the parents not know that he had taken the van until September 2. And, what did they all make of that?

At this point, I'm most interested to find out, assuming the notebook has anything written in it and it's salvageable, whether or not Brian wrote anything to either refute or suggest that his parents had any knowledge of anything.

Hmmm… I went back to listen to the protesters interview with Cassie to see if she mentioned anything about the missing persons report. I didn’t hear anything about that, but I heard something interesting right at the beginning that I hadn’t seen discussed here. Forgive me if I missed a thread!

At the beginning, she states that the parents and Brian showed up in the mustang, not the van, on Sept 1. And then says “I found out [ about the van ] the next day with everybody else.
I wonder what she means about that. Did the parents not know that he had taken the van until September 2. And, what did they all make of that?

The parents knew he had Gabby's van. It was parked in their driveway.

At this point, I'm most interested to find out, assuming the notebook has anything written in it and it's salvageable, whether or not Brian wrote anything to either refute or suggest that his parents had any knowledge of anything.
That would be extremely interesting and pertinent information. I truly hope he wrote some sort of testimony about everything in that notebook.

10/5
By the time Gabby was found 13 days later, Brian had already vanished. The day Cassie learned of his disappearance, she says she immediately told investigators about that camping trip.

Cassie Laundrie: It was not hidden from law enforcement. I’ve been cooperating with the police. Since day one, I have been in touch with law enforcement. bbm
Brian Laundrie's sister urges him to 'come forward' amid manhunt l GMA
Law enforcement is the FBI, I assume? Yep, I say she called the FBI and reported her brother missing. She didn’t want anything to happen to her only sibling. I heard her voice crack just a bit when talking about him. It made me swallow hard, my eyes stinging a bit. I’d give anything to have my brothers back and I bet she feels the same. (I send ❤️ to you Cassie) FBI called North Port. NPPD goes to Laundrie household. Officer initiates report. imo

I wonder what she means about that. Did the parents not know that he had taken the van until September 2. And, what did they all make of that?
She said at one point that she assumed that he flew home. So no one in her family bothered to tell her that he drove Gabby's van home. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HopeBloom