Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh... I was not challenging you, I was curious what you meant by "scam" and I think you read your own snark into my innocent words. No sense posting here since you have it all figured out, I guess.

By scam, I believe that this is a sketch of no one that anyone saw. I think it's bogus, meant to make it look like LE has something, I don't think they have anything.

By scam, I believe that this is a sketch of no one that anyone saw. I think it's bogus, meant to make it look like LE has something, I don't think they have anything.

But tactics like releasing a "bogus" sketch are legal in an effort to garner evidence or shake things loose. It's obviously got folks talking, so that IS the desired outcome IMO.

Nothing terribly groundbreaking here but the investigators comments about people they’ve interviewed not being truthful are interesting IMO.

Apparently, the man in the sketch is also the same person described in the BOLO which isn’t too surprising but interesting in light of Walter’s comments.

http://www.canyoncourier.com/content/investigators-maggie-long-case-say-family-home-was-targeted

https://mymountaintown.com/forum/13...canyon-hs-student-maggie-long?start=60#351657

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:confused: Just wild speculation. . .

Anyone else notice the eyes in this artist's rendition of the subject featured on this flyer? His left eye (on the right, if looking at the sketch) o_Ostrikes me as a different shape, compared to his right eye. Also, I noticed a dark line that appears in each eye, but it is more pronounced in his left eye. It appears to begin at the pupil, and then continues into the iris, not quite horizontal but pointing in the direction of his nose.

Of course, it may be the artist's interpretation or drawing style, but without even the basic "wanted" info, like height/weight/eye + hair color, etc. it's impossible to tell if we're supposed to be looking for someone with those particular eyes.

maggielong eyes.PNG

If this subject has an unusual feature within the eye, wouldn't that information help to narrow down any possible POIs ?

Could this sketch be based on an actual photo of a "known" subject? I suppose the asymmetrical eyes and iris anomaly would make more sense. Or, if drawn from a photo, is it possible that the artist drew in a reflection that's visible in a photo?

IMO, just spitballin' here :)

The pair allegedly stole various items, including a shotgun, before pouring gasoline on the woman's body. Court documents say they threatened to ignite her if she wouldn’t give them the combination to the gun safe.

When she refused, Rist allegedly ignited the gasoline and told her to burn with the house.

The woman escaped and extinguished herself and was then taken to the burn unit at Research Medical Center.
Missouri woman escapes after being tied up, set on fire during robbery

I hope they aren't related because that may mean Maggie was set on fire while alive. Yet, I hope they are related, and since both suspects were arrested, they can get DNA, etc and if related, it would solve this case.

What horrible people to set someone on fire, alive.

specifically saying that the Long family home was targeted and that Long's murder was not part of a pattern of crimes occurring in neighboring counties or elsewhere.

In an interview with the Courier on Wednesday, Detective Sgt. Greg Jones — Park County’s lead detective on the investigative task force, which includes individuals from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) — said investigators believe the person or people responsible for Long’s death targeted the family's home when it was burglarized and burned Dec. 1, but have yet to narrow the scope of their investigation on a specific suspect or motive.
Missing: Platte Canyon HS Student Maggie Long

This article was from May 18th. At that time, they didn't see any similar crimes, but now, there may be a similar crime.

Both Jones and Wohlers said that typical murder investigations yield a suspect and motive fairly quickly, but called the investigation into Long's death complex.

“It's like a football field full of rocks, and the rocks are the tips or clues,” said Jones. “ … In a normal investigation, you turn over a rock, and there's not much there. For this one, there's been something under every rock that has sent us down many paths that have to be completed. The pursuit of those clues has been slowed by a lack of truthfulness from a lot of the participants.”

Though neither elaborated on who was dishonest and what about, Jones said some interviewees lied to protect their own interests instead of helping with the investigation.

Adding to the frustration is a lack of consistency about possible suspects and motive — the possibilities change from week to week.
Investigators in Maggie Long case say family home was targeted | CanyonCourier.com

'Huge' tip moving Maggie Long investigation forward | CanyonCourier.com

The investigation into the Maggie Long murder case is moving forward in a big way based on a tip the task force received about a month ago, according to Park County Detective Sgt. Greg Jones.

“We received a call three or four weeks ago from an individual that thought their information wasn't important, and it was actually huge,” he said in a phone call Thursday. “ … We feel we're making good progress based on that tip that just came in, so I want to re-emphasize that any information is valuable — no matter how small or insignificant you think it is.”

Eta: more info at link. Didn't want to violate the 10% rule

'Huge' tip moving Maggie Long investigation forward | CanyonCourier.com

The investigation into the Maggie Long murder case is moving forward in a big way based on a tip the task force received about a month ago, according to Park County Detective Sgt. Greg Jones.

“We received a call three or four weeks ago from an individual that thought their information wasn't important, and it was actually huge,” he said in a phone call Thursday. “ … We feel we're making good progress based on that tip that just came in, so I want to re-emphasize that any information is valuable — no matter how small or insignificant you think it is.”

Eta: more info at link. Didn't want to violate the 10% rule

Wow that's sounds really optimistic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members