CA CA - Jeffrey Comphel, 25, Fremont, 15 Oct 1983

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
No Photo

Last seen alive: October 15, 1983

Circumstances: Jeffrey rented a room and advised his landlord after 3 weeks he was leaving and to give away his belongings. He was last seen at the bus stop nearby. There was no contact with his family after 10/15/1983 which was unusual.

First Name: Jeffrey Lee
Middle Name: Lee
Last Name: Comphel
[h=3]Details[/h] Age When Last Known Alive: 25
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 71.0
Weight: 150.0
[h=3]Location[/h] City: Fremont
State: California
Zip: 94536
County: Alameda
[h=3]Appearance[/h] Hair: Brown
Eye: Blue
[h=3]Clothing and Accessories[/h] [h=3]Transportation[/h] Jeffrey did not own a vehicle and traveled by public transportation.

http://www.missingin.org/reg8619/jeffrey_lee_comphel.htm

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20498/

Please help find a photo of Jeffrey.

I can find almost nothing on Jeffrey except for his birth record in 1958 and one other strange entry in Ancestry. A Jeffrey Comphel is listed in the US Public Records Index with a PO Box in Los Angeles in 1996. This seems surprising as I can find no trace of any other Jeffrey Comphel anywhere or anytime (still less in California in the late 20c). On the other hand, Ancestry is not always right, and this index is especially flawed. Still ......a PO Box record should be easy to index and the name is specific (not just J Comphel).

I can find almost nothing on Jeffrey except for his birth record in 1958 and one other strange entry in Ancestry. A Jeffrey Comphel is listed in the US Public Records Index with a PO Box in Los Angeles in 1996. This seems surprising as I can find no trace of any other Jeffrey Comphel anywhere or anytime (still less in California in the late 20c). On the other hand, Ancestry is not always right, and this index is especially flawed. Still ......a PO Box record should be easy to index and the name is specific (not just J Comphel).
Jeffrey Comphel is my brother. How would I be able to index a PO box to find details about him?

Jeffrey Comphel is my brother. How would I be able to index a PO box to find details about him?

My apologies. I meant that it should have been easy for the PO Box to be indexed on the database used by Ancestry, and should not be an error. The specific information shown on Ancestry is in the US Public Records Index, and the PO Box given is POB 67048, Los Angeles, CA, 90067 (1996). As I live in the UK I am not aware of what these numbers signify, but I assume it will be straightforward to find this out in the USA. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I found him listed as graduating from American Heritage Christian School, Hayward, CA. 1976

Unable to find a yearbook for photo.

Also unable to get that info copied here but it’s located at:

• Publication: Daily Review
  • Issue Date: June 12, 1976

Welcome to Websleuths Julia! Would you happen to have any photos of your brother? It would really help if there was a photo (or several photos) attached to his missing person page. Even if it's an old yearbook photo. Please send photos to the NAMUS contact listed here (Allison O'Neal): Missing Person Case
She should be able to follow up with you and get them into your brother's file online.

The P.O. Box that is listed here has long since been closed. There is no way to trace him through that.

Last edited:
Hi Julia. Do you have any photos?

Also, has it ever been looked at if he is this John Doe?

773UMCA
Unidentified Person Case

This is my uncle and my Mom says that missing persons repost doesn’t match him and had never seen that necklace. He was about 5’10, dark brown curly hair, long hair at least down to the bottom of his ears, blue eyes, and acne scars. I can’t upload a picture because it’s too large for the server to process.

Any possibility he is:
Case found in Coos Bay, OR in 1984? It sounds like he might have travelled out of state.

<modsnip>

I have found on Familysearch that previous to 1996 Jeffrey was living in Century City, L.A. He was using his own name as far as I can tell and he seems to be the only Jeffrey Comphel I can find. In the California unclaied property index there is a listing for a Jeff Comphel for an unclaimed bank account amount of $347 which could be him.
1685527316808.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey's Namus profile has 25 rule outs/exclusions
1700581416584.png

Jeffrey was added to The Charley Project

Jeffrey Lee Comphel​

• comphel_jeffrey.jpg
  • comphel_jeffrey2.jpg
Comphel, circa 1983
  • Missing Since10/15/1983
  • Missing From Fremont, California
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth05/06/1958 (65)
  • Age25 years old
  • Height and Weight5'11, 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance​

Comphel was last seen in Fremont, California on October 15, 1983. He rented a room, and three weeks later told his landlord he was leaving and gave away his belongings. He was last seen at a bus stop nearby; he didn't own a car and used public transportation to travel. He has never been heard from again, and his family stated it's uncharacteristic of him to be out of touch with them. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Fremont Police Department 510-790-6800

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 1, 2024; casefile added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish
Back