CANADA CANADA - Kenora, Ontario, WhtFem, 35-55, Glasses, Found in Tent, 17 Jun 2009

Blurgle is correct it's the second Canada case DNA Doe Project has taken on. The first one is Nation River Lady: CANADA - Canada - Casselman, Ont, 'Nation River Lady' WhtFem 239UFON, 25-50, May'75

Anyone interested in finding more DDP cases can follow the progress of their cases and find all their case threads listed on this thread: DNA Doe Project - General Discussion
We were all excited on that thread when Nation River Lady became the first case outside the US. There are so many international cases we hope they will solve.

Both are still listed as "research in progress." I wonder how long it usually takes DNA Doe to finish a case?

Blurgle is correct it's the second Canada case DNA Doe Project has taken on. The first one is Nation River Lady: CANADA - Canada - Casselman, Ont, 'Nation River Lady' WhtFem 239UFON, 25-50, May'75

Anyone interested in finding more DDP cases can follow the progress of their cases and find all their case threads listed on this thread: DNA Doe Project - General Discussion
We were all excited on that thread when Nation River Lady became the first case outside the US. There are so many international cases we hope they will solve.

Both are still listed as "research in progress" with no other updates.

Both are still listed as "research in progress." I wonder how long it usually takes DNA Doe to finish a case?
It depends on a case, but once DDP identifies a person, a law enforcement needs to follow their legal procedure (to confirm the identity, to inform relatives,to issue a death certificate). Now due to the covid close down, it takes longer. We know that DDP has solved a few cases, but they are waiting for law enforcement to make an announcement.

Yes, I agree with you. I live in Canada, and we get a lot of Australians here for vacation and, so it wouldn't be crazy for an Australian to come backpack across Canada.
I have found this under Kenora “Millie” profile on Canada Missing website
“Biogeographic Ancestry testing predicts that this unidentified woman is of European ancestry”.
Nothing new, hopefully Oracle 4 will give more clues why she has such a low number of matches

Oracle 4 report has been posted and it seems that "Spanish" "Swedish", "Danish" and "Dutch" some up most frequently. I wonder if she was an immigrant.

04-kenora.jpg
She has mostly Scandinavian ancestry (Danish and Swedish) and as she has such low numbers it seems she could be a recent immigrant (or her parents were recent immigrants to Canada). I am wondering how how big is a Scandinavian community in Canada.

She has mostly Scandinavian ancestry (Danish and Swedish) and as she has such low numbers it seems she could be a recent immigrant (or her parents were recent immigrants to Canada). I am wondering how how big is a Scandinavian community in Canada.
Could the uid Doe actually be from the area (Kenora) in which her body was found? imo.
rbbm.
Swedish Canadians | The Canadian Encyclopedia
''Until 1914, most Swedish immigrants arrived in Canada primarily from Minnesota and North Dakota. Between 1921 and 1930, over 20,000 Swedes (many of them industrial workers) migrated directly to Canada. By 1930, Sweden had developed a large industrial base, and since 1945 Swedish migration to Canada has been primarily on an individual basis.

In the early 1870s, some Swedes travelled by boat along the Red River to Winnipeg. With the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway, many Swedes took advantage of the Canadian government policy offering inexpensive Prairie farmland (see also Immigration Policy in Canada.) Winnipeg attracted many Swedish immigrants and for years it was the main centre for most nationwide Swedish organizations. Swedes in Manitoba settled as well in Scandinavia, Erickson, Teulon, Mulvihill and Eriksdale. Saskatchewan also attracted Swedish settlers; one of every four Swedes listed in the 1931 census lived in that province, particularly in the Qu'Appelle Valley communities of Stockholm and Dubuc (see Fort Qu’Appelle; Qu’Appelle River). Swedes settled in Alberta before it became a province, and Swedish communities still exist in Edmonton and Calgary. During the Second World War (WWII) many Swedes moved west to the Pacific coast because of the milder climate and job opportunities. Today, British Columbia has the largest number of Swedish Canadians.

Many early Swedish immigrants settled in northwestern Ontario as farmers and lumber workers, particularly around Kenora; after the Second World War a large number of Swedish immigrants settled in Toronto.''

Northern Ontario has a particularly large community of Finnish and Swedish immigrants, dating back quite a while. Also quite a large Icelandic community in Manitoba as well; the closest large city to Kenora is Winnipeg.

Lots of Canadians have ancestors from similar places as Americans do, though, so not sure if it's an issue of that.

Actually, no. White Canadians outside the Maritimes have significantly more French, Ukrainian, indigenous, and Scots ancestry (aka the 'Prairie tetrad') than Americans and significantly less Irish, German, and Polish ancestry. They also tend not to have trace African ancestry, and that area in particular has not just lots of Icelanders but also some Swedes. You'll remember the Belle in the Well? Her father was from Winnipeg and was the son of a Swedish immigrant.

Actually, no. White Canadians outside the Maritimes have significantly more French, Ukrainian, indigenous, and Scots ancestry (aka the 'Prairie tetrad') than Americans and significantly less Irish, German, and Polish ancestry. They also tend not to have trace African ancestry, and that area in particular has not just lots of Icelanders but also some Swedes. You'll remember the Belle in the Well? Her father was from Winnipeg and was the son of a Swedish immigrant.
This is also true. It is quite dependent on whatever region you're in, ultimately, as you state.

I think she was traveling west to east, probably from Winnipeg. From an Occam's Razor perspective it makes sense that she could be from Winnipeg based on the bookmark she used and that most of her clothing was from retailers that were in Winnipeg. I also believe that she had no destination in mind and that her intention was to end her life. Also, Winnipeg is a very diverse city. It has over 750,000 population that runs the gamut from English, French, Meti, Danish, Polish, Ukrainian and Dutch. It's only about 2.5 hours from Winnipeg to Kenora.

Other than her tent and a few meagre belongings it didn't appear that she was in for the long haul. Usually people who are hiking with a tent have a lot more 'stuff' including food. She had no identification with her which is unusual. At no time, did LE ever make a suggestion she was a homeless person.

Law enforcement never mentioned whether or not she had any cooking utensils which could suggest she was actually using the hibachi to cook and not that she was using it to hasten her demise. If she had food with her that wasn't eaten and her body had been there for over a week there probably would have been evidence of animals scavenging the food source.

I really wish they had identified the Pfizer pills she had with her, it could give an indication as to whether she was treating a physical ailment or a mental one. Or whether she used sleeping pills to ensure her plan worked. If that was the case, the situation is very reminiscent of the Christmas tree lady who committed suicide in a cemetery. She had a book with her, had taken some pills and ensured she would die by placing a plastic bag over her head. MOO

Yeah, I do wonder if her death was really an accident. I haven't looked up the novel, but it makes you wonder if her death was actually suicide.. along with the rest of what we know about her death. I also wonder if the reconstruction on her face was cosmetic. If so, why? I think more than likely it was probably due to an accident of some type, maybe a car accident years before. She doesn't seem like the cosmetic surgery type, although maybe years earlier she was or had insecurities that led her to pursue such major surgery cosmetically perhaps. It sure would be interesting to know, although we may never know if she ends up being confirmed as a suicide victim and the family don't want to release info or if they don't anyway, given that this wasn't a homicide.

Yeah, I do wonder if her death was really an accident. I haven't looked up the novel, but it makes you wonder if her death was actually suicide.. along with the rest of what we know about her death. I also wonder if the reconstruction on her face was cosmetic. If so, why? I think more than likely it was probably due to an accident of some type, maybe a car accident years before. She doesn't seem like the cosmetic surgery type, although maybe years earlier she was or had insecurities that led her to pursue such major surgery cosmetically perhaps. It sure would be interesting to know, although we may never know if she ends up being confirmed as a suicide victim and the family don't want to release info or if they don't anyway, given that this wasn't a homicide.
The police thinks it was either accident or suicide. I agree, difficult to imagine that it was a murder, it is a very unusual and unlikely way of killing. Moreover, if she was brought there against her will, there would be evidence of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Withergaming101
Back