Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
The slow race to make a coronavirus vaccine is on as nations try to speed yearlong process

KEY POINTS
  • Hopes to get a vaccine to market are high, but doctors want expectations to be low for how quickly it can happen.
  • Developing, testing and reviewing any potential vaccine is a long, complex and expensive process.

• ... “U.S. and international health officials are speeding work to create a vaccine for the deadly coronavirus spreading throughout Asia, which has already outpaced the 2003 SARS epidemicand killed at least 213 people in China.

Researchers will need to work fast. Since the first patient was identified in Wuhan on Dec. 31, the number of coronavirus cases has mushroomed to nearly 10,000 in mainland China alone as of Friday morning, up from roughly 800 the week before. While the new virus appears to be less deadly than the 2003 SARS outbreak, which sickened 8,098 people and killed almost 800, it is spreading significantly faster.”

www.statista.com/chart/20634/confirmed-coronavirus-cases-timeline

Re: Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Jan 30, 2020

If confirmed cases in China seem to double every 2 days,
when was patient zero?
Jan 6?

As far as prep,
it doesn't hurt to consider
what size jug might accommodate one's head?

The initial index case(s) in Hubei would have been back in December.

The information coming out seems to suggest that other cases have spread out from there, so each region's index case(s) would have later dates.

It's good to see on here, now, that the recovered cases have outnumbered the deceased for the first time. It's not surprising, but it's nice to see, and I would expect the difference between recovered and deceased to grow massively in the coming weeks.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Coronavirus latest: World’s biggest airlines suspend flights to China US medical authorities have issued their first mandatory quarantine order in 50 years...”

The company’s chief medical officer Dr Merdad Parsey said in a statement on Friday it is working with health authorities in China to “establish a randomized, controlled trial to determine whether remdesivir can safely and effectively be used to treat 2019-nCoV”, ...”

Today, to minimize risk in US will be... (to be updated during briefing)

Following WHO announcement, he has declared public health emergency in US
At 5 pm temporary measures will include..
  • any US citizen who was in Hubei province in past 14 days will be up to 14 days quarantine
  • Any citizen who was in mainland china other than Hubei province will get screening and up to 14 days monitoring and self monitoring/monitoring by local health departments
  • Signed proclamation temporarily suspending foreign nationals from entering who may carry... those who have traveled in China in last 14 days are barred from entry

Last edited:
Bravo
Check out Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding twitter
HIV genome found and Chinese about to announce ...

Yeah, he's saying it's BS report!
Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing

23. Apparently I’m not alone thinking this paper’s conclusion is “bat-” wild (pardon the pun). We need to replicate this study now before the world goes mad. Let’s all pause and hold our breath please

I understand the need for quarantine. Are folks separated? In my mind they are not. So if u don't have it and are housed with other people for 14 days you could then become infected. What measures are in place to stop spread within?

I understand the need for quarantine. Are folks separated? In my mind they are not. So if u don't have it and are housed with other people for 14 days you could then become infected. What measures are in place to stop spread within?
Yep. If they are all intermingled, and day 10 someone turns up positive, the potential is there that others have since been exposed.

reset the clock...

The more information we get the more questions I/we all have. Speaking to the hot spots where things are basically shut down how are they handling those who succumb to this. Will we ever get a true number?

where’s Han when he’s needed?
giphy.gif
I think he got fired :D

I would imagine they would be housed in smaller groups of people, eat in their rooms instead of gathering in a canteen, watch TV in their rooms instead of gathering in a hall together, and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member