Crafts To Do During Covid Restrictions

We’ve hit 4 quilt / fabric shops so far. We are in big trouble. LOL!

Birdhouse Quilts in Byron GA.
Fabric World somewhere near Atlanta.
Quilt shop in Helen GA
JoAnne Fabric here by my friends house in north GA. I found more leaf fabric!

Attachments

• 07D8C2C9-36CE-4628-9E92-9D7E146D6F90.jpeg
    07D8C2C9-36CE-4628-9E92-9D7E146D6F90.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 28
  • C97D509A-45C0-4911-90A1-EAF5450B6F61.jpeg
    C97D509A-45C0-4911-90A1-EAF5450B6F61.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 01B93597-6A08-4795-8889-02F6CCC17324.jpeg
    01B93597-6A08-4795-8889-02F6CCC17324.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 24
I found more leaf fabric and watched videos on how to edge tablecloths. I have them cut out at 42” x 52” with white binding / edging that is 4”. Once it is sewn on, it will be 2” on each side. I think that will make them sturdy to last for years. One for each kiddo. These are a surprise too.

Attachments

• FA57C79D-F832-4C51-A56A-03DFF2A4C589.jpeg
    FA57C79D-F832-4C51-A56A-03DFF2A4C589.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 20
I found this panel that was either intended for pillows or a baby quilt. The squares are 15-16” and I cut them out today. I have some nice green gingham that is cute and matches well. However, even tho it is cotton, it isn’t tightly woven. I was thinking of using it as sashing. But baby quilts take a ton of abuse. So I’m wondering if I should find something else. I have a dark yellow printed flannel for the back. I’m trying not to buy anything and use what I have on hand.

Attachments

• 9B549FC8-9E2B-4FE1-A1E8-DD374592E93C.jpeg
    9B549FC8-9E2B-4FE1-A1E8-DD374592E93C.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 38BBF1FF-51A7-4AEF-8648-8606ECF15998.jpeg
    38BBF1FF-51A7-4AEF-8648-8606ECF15998.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19
I found more leaf fabric and watched videos on how to edge tablecloths. I have them cut out at 42” x 52” with white binding / edging that is 4”. Once it is sewn on, it will be 2” on each side. I think that will make them sturdy to last for years. One for each kiddo. These are a surprise too.

I'd like to have a tablecloth with that fabric! My mother was an excellent seamstress and made lots of clothes for me. I think the last thing she made for me was a dress to wear on my honeymoon! But I don't remember her ever making tablecloths, napkins, etc.

I'd like to have a tablecloth with that fabric! My mother was an excellent seamstress and made lots of clothes for me. I think the last thing she made for me was a dress to wear on my honeymoon! But I don't remember her ever making tablecloths, napkins, etc.
When I found the fabric up in GA, the first piece on the bolt was a 4.5 yard section from the prior bolt. I didn’t need that much. However she gave it to me for the end of bolt price. So cost wise, it was a good deal. Now I have 1/2 to 3/4 yard leftover. That’s why I wanted to know how to make those little pumpkins. They would look cute out of leaf fabric with brown felt stems.

I saw some similar to this posted online this week - local antique / craft place - made of rich autumn colored velvety looking fabrics. They were just a touch fancy looking. But not over the top.

Man, I just lost my post! Oh, well. First craft class tonight went really well. It only took an hour and everyone really seemed to need the social part. Next class won't have to be as restricted in numbers because it's cheap to make - fabric pumpkins!

I
I saw some similar to this posted online this week - local antique / craft place - made of rich autumn colored velvety looking fabrics. They were just a touch fancy looking. But not over the top.
I prefer them done in wool, but it would have been too expensive for the library. But once you've mastered with scrap fabric, I could see these being done with just about anything for a different look. I did one set with faded blue check and they were probably just right for someone's decor.

Oddly, I just like making the stuff. I don't keep most of what I make because it's more stuff to keep track of and dust around. They make great gifts, though, for folks who enjoy seasonal decorating.

If anyone has any cool ideas for library crafts this January and February, I would love it if you'd post. If you see your library doing something interesting, let me know. I like to have my library craft decided a month ahead of time so I can put it in the newsletter.

We have a historical Swedish community here and I do keep looking at a way to make Tomten easily. It's definitely on my list of things to try. I've had a traditional Swedish Tomte guarding my door for years.

Well, I actually had to move him away from the door for awhile because the cats liked to beat him up for some reason. As he was a genuine Tomte from Sweden and not cheap, I couldn't let them have their way with him. So I got a cheaper knock-off for the door.

Tablecloth 1 is done! I learned a lot making this which is surprising. It’s just rectangle. How hard can it be, right? I mitered the corners and then realized I’d need to do that again to get it to wrap. I like the way it drapes. The white edging is doubled which gives it weight. I stitched it from the back to keep it from rolling then flipped it and top stitched it along the edge using a zipper foot.

Here in SWFL it isn’t unusual to have Thanksgiving outside if the weather is nice. This shouldn’t blow up if it’s breezy. I’m giving this one to my youngest since I’ll see her this week. Now to finish Tablecloth 2, before my oldest gets back from her offshore trip.

Attachments

• A17D4B6F-B42E-42D1-8C89-BB4D00E9293A.jpeg
    A17D4B6F-B42E-42D1-8C89-BB4D00E9293A.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 31
  • C5FA9ABE-3F5B-411D-9299-F864455CC565.jpeg
    C5FA9ABE-3F5B-411D-9299-F864455CC565.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 31
  • D1EF24D9-0B41-4FFD-8FA0-D144A04E3CC4.jpeg
    D1EF24D9-0B41-4FFD-8FA0-D144A04E3CC4.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 80A9561C-9516-446C-9ACC-9B1C97AC70D6.jpeg
    80A9561C-9516-446C-9ACC-9B1C97AC70D6.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 4E0B474E-D26C-4C06-81C9-0F39C76EA2FC.jpeg
    4E0B474E-D26C-4C06-81C9-0F39C76EA2FC.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
Tablecloth 1 is done! I learned a lot making this which is surprising. It’s just rectangle. How hard can it be, right? I mitered the corners and then realized I’d need to do that again to get it to wrap. I like the way it drapes. The white edging is doubled which gives it weight. I stitched it from the back to keep it from rolling then flipped it and top stitched it along the edge using a zipper foot.

Here in SWFL it isn’t unusual to have Thanksgiving outside if the weather is nice. This shouldn’t blow up if it’s breezy. I’m giving this one to my youngest since I’ll see her this week. Now to finish Tablecloth 2, before my oldest gets back from her offshore trip.
No such thing as "just a rectangle" when sewing. This does not look easy to me. Good job!

Beautiful! The mitered corners look perfect. This fabric would be great for placemats too.

Beautiful! The mitered corners look perfect. This fabric would be great for placemats too.
I was thinking placemats too! But I definitely don’t have enough fabric. I may have some fabrics that could coordinate but they are not the level of quality this leaf fabric is.

I gave my youngest her tablecloth tonight. She loved it of course.

The tablecloth is gorgeous!

If anyone has any cool ideas for library crafts this January and February, I would love it if you'd post. If you see your library doing something interesting, let me know. I like to have my library craft decided a month ahead of time so I can put it in the newsletter.
Not sure if you have Facebook, but Crafty FB page has some cool ideas for making UV cured jewelry, some epoxy coasters with dried leaves and flowers, some homemade soaps. Not sure what you can do in the library. The UV cured jewelry caught my eye as an easy craft.

Not sure if you have Facebook, but Crafty FB page has some cool ideas for making UV cured jewelry, some epoxy coasters with dried leaves and flowers, some homemade soaps. Not sure what you can do in the library. The UV cured jewelry caught my eye as an easy craft.
Thanks! I'll check it out!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back