Facial Masks - Coronavirus

JaneEyre

Kindness matters - always
Reaction score
Before you begin, you might want to take a look at this article that shows the best materials to use for masks. Please note, though, that the kitchen towels they mention are not the terry cloth ones, but are tea towels. This is very important.

What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks? - Smart Air Filters

The Olson Mask is what one of the large hospital groups in my area is asking for specifically because it is a tighter fit than the surgical type and it has a place for a filter to be inserted. Instructions for this mask are here.

https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/filesimages/Coronavirus/Olson Mask with Pattern v4.pdf

Most hospitals that are requesting masks are asking that they be two layers of 100% cotton for breathability. I’ve not seen any requests that suggest the use of t-shirt material, probably because it can be difficult to sew. You are better off sticking with the kind of fabric used for quilting or tea towel material. Whatever you use should be tightly woven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he will have to reuse them, just like the healthcare workers. But he will take extra precautions putting them on and taking them off. Fortunately, he doesn’t go out every day, and we have a small stash of maybe 6-10 in our various go-bags. Better than nothing. :(
I'm sewing cloth masks with openings for placing N95s inside. Cloth masks can be laundered with bleach and reused. Also extends life of N95s hopefully. Donating them to hospice company.

Nuttmeg, I found several on YouTube. After trying a few, I settled on this one
I was wondering how she was going to turn that right side out, lol. I think it would be necessary to be able to tighten up those ear loops? Maybe with an elastic around the back.?

The Olson mask is the one our hospitals are asking for. There is a pocket for a filter. I just finished another 15 of these. https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/filesimages/Coronavirus/Olson Mask with Pattern v4.pdf

That is so great you are able to make some by hand. My question is about the 0.3 micron filter material. Have you been able to find and use that as part of the mask construction? The 0.3 microns is the correct size filter from reading the specs of the N95 which had the exact same filtering size of particles.

I have been trying to figure out a way to make the handful of N95 masks I have left last longer and one solution I saw from someone else is to use HEPA vacuum cleaner bags because they also sometimes have that 0.3 micron size limit which I happen to have some brand new ones from a vacuum cleaner we no longer have. I cant figure out a frame to put the material on but I did come up with an idea that may work. I think what I am going to do is just cut out the old mask from the inside and leave enough around the edges so I have something to staple the HEPA filter to. I havent been able to see how well I can breathe through it yet so maybe the HEPA filter is too course and maybe it wont allow me to breathe through it very easily. If its too course then it may just suck backwards into my face and may not work out. If I can ever get around to trying it out I will report back here. Ive been so scarcily using them that the ones I have left may end up lasting quite awhile at this rate. So I have no immediate rush to create an ad-hoc mask yet. But I am trying to prepare myself in the event I do run out. And I would like to create one that has the 0.3 micron limit.

That is so great you are able to make some by hand. My question is about the 0.3 micron filter material. Have you been able to find and use that as part of the mask construction? The 0.3 microns is the correct size filter from reading the specs of the N95 which had the exact same filtering size of particles.

I have been trying to figure out a way to make the handful of N95 masks I have left last longer and one solution I saw from someone else is to use HEPA vacuum cleaner bags because they also sometimes have that 0.3 micron size limit which I happen to have some brand new ones from a vacuum cleaner we no longer have. I cant figure out a frame to put the material on but I did come up with an idea that may work. I think what I am going to do is just cut out the old mask from the inside and leave enough around the edges so I have something to staple the HEPA filter to. I havent been able to see how well I can breathe through it yet so maybe the HEPA filter is too course and maybe it wont allow me to breathe through it very easily. If its too course then it may just suck backwards into my face and may not work out. If I can ever get around to trying it out I will report back here. Ive been so scarcily using them that the ones I have left may end up lasting quite awhile at this rate. So I have no immediate rush to create an ad-hoc mask yet. But I am trying to prepare myself in the event I do run out. And I would like to create one that has the 0.3 micron limit.
I have not looked, as the hospitals were going to provide filters.

Edited to remove previous post.

Maybe you could sew a pocket onto the mouth/skin side of your mask for filter insertion.

I have not looked, as the hospitals were going to provide filters.

Edited to remove previous post.

That is good that the hospitals are saying they can slide in a proper 0.3 micron filter inside the masks you are giving them. When properly done, I am betting your masks will be just as safe as an N95 or even better because it will be more comfortable.

The way I look at it is if I can get the right material that filters down to 0.3 microns then I see no reason why they cannot be just as safe or safer with a good fit.

I don't have any stores around here so have to make do. I have some old sunblock shirts that have very tightly woven but lightweight fabric. I wonder if that would be better than cotton/poly that is more loosely woven?

Maybe you could sew a pocket onto the mouth/skin side of your mask for filter insertion.

Yes, that was my original thought was to make a frame where it would hold a replaceable homemade cutout of my vaccum cleaner bag HEPA filter material. That way I could keep the frame and just slide in new inserts whenever they get too used.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out a good frame. Those patterns look perfect so I may have to take a crash course in sewing. LOL

This is an example of the Vacuum cleaner HEPA filter bags and notice this 0.3 micron size limit which is exactly what the N95's claim.

"Removes 99.97% of all airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns in size "

If this works, then the next shortage will be Vacuum cleaner replacement bags :)

https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Type-HEPA-Filter-bags/dp/B00QPHDBC6

This is how I make the Olson mask adjustable. Elastic threads through the ends and is knotted. This also makes the elastic replaceable

Attachments

• 20200331_174043.jpg
    20200331_174043.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 48
Yes, that was my original thought was to make a frame where it would hold a replaceable homemade cutout of my vaccum cleaner bag HEPA filter material. That way I could keep the frame and just slide in new inserts whenever they get too used.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out a good frame. Those patterns look perfect so I may have to take a crash course in sewing. LOL
I couldn't load the simple illustration I have, so I found some scattered photos for ideas. Hope they help.
photo of filter insertion into mask - بحث Google:

Nice pattern , thx. I'll use this.
You can search Olson mask on YouTube for a tutorial. I have tweaked the pattern a bit to make sure it fits everyone. And I also added a top stitch around the top and bottom of the mask so it holds its shape better when washed. Some people are also adding a bit of interfacing as a filter and to hold its shape.

I made a mask with elastic going around the back of the head for eyeglass wearers. The inside pocket can hold a clean dry baby wipe or specialty filter. The white inside fabric is high quality soft cotton. The outside fabric is basic cotton. I used this pattern:

Face Mask Pattern - Free Sewing Pattern • Craft Passion

Attachments

• 8B9D9B7B-674A-4765-AC20-FEF7DCA3D74C.jpeg
    8B9D9B7B-674A-4765-AC20-FEF7DCA3D74C.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 51
  • D7B775F6-29AB-4921-BEC0-4D157A5BC664.jpeg
    D7B775F6-29AB-4921-BEC0-4D157A5BC664.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 42

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online