GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

I don't remember hearing this before, or am I just forgetting?? Anyone else?

from the article linked above:

...the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office told Channel 2′s Mark Winne that someone logged on to Dermond’s computer at their home during the afternoon of Friday, May 2. The office believes it was one of the Dermonds.

From the FB link posted today:

"[Sheriff] Sills has narrowed the time-frame of the crime to somewhere between 4:30 p.m., on Friday, May 2—when the mail was delivered—to 4 p.m., on Saturday, May 3"

Perhaps the CS was elsewhere and the bodies returned to the garage. The home's interior was immaculate with no signs of anything being taken. Maybe they were kidnapped and taken elsewhere in order to kill them. The Sheriff opines Russell's decap was done in order to secrete the type of weapon and ammo used to shoot him.

From the FB link posted today:

"[Sheriff] Sills has narrowed the time-frame of the crime to somewhere between 4:30 p.m., on Friday, May 2—when the mail was delivered—to 4 p.m., on Saturday, May 3"

Perhaps the CS was elsewhere and the bodies returned to the garage. The home's interior was immaculate with no signs of anything being taken. Maybe they were kidnapped and taken elsewhere in order to kill them. The Sheriff opines Russell's decap was done in order to secrete the type of weapon and ammo used to shoot him.
that's such a huge timeframe, 24 hours. wish it could be narrowed down a bit :(

also it's still odd to me that they have different CODs...if it was a hired hit i would think they would have both been shot. Makes me again think this was a random thrill kill. just thinking out loud.

that's such a huge timeframe, 24 hours. wish it could be narrowed down a bit :(

also it's still odd to me that they have different CODs...if it was a hired hit i would think they would have both been shot. Makes me again think this was a random thrill kill. just thinking out loud.

Wasn’t she beaten to death? If so, that has me thinking the perp had more hatred toward her. It’s personal. And I’m guessing the gun might be registered since it’s believed his head was removed because it contained the bullet.

There are so many possibilities in this case.

Wasn’t she beaten to death? If so, that has me thinking the perp had more hatred toward her. It’s personal. And I’m guessing the gun might be registered since it’s believed his head was removed because it contained the bullet.

I agree with you. ShireLy Dermond was so savagely beaten to death, someone/s has deep seated hatred towards her. Russel Dermond’s death on other hand was probably much quicker (shotgun). I just watched latest documentary on UTube. They said the knife cut to Russel’s head was clean cut.

I personally don’t think it was so large a timeframe. SS says Their paper was delivered Friday and it looks like Shirley had started doing crosswords. One of Dermond’s opened an email Friday. I think It started early Sat morning because post Mortem on Shirely Dermond she was fully dressed in day clothes ready for her day but Russel was still in his pjs so probably still in bed or in process of getting up. They said Shirley usually got up from bed earlier then Russel. The man was seen on their front lawn on Saturday by a neighbour. I wonder where the Dermonds were killed. SS says they both died around same time. I really wonder where they were killed. The house was too clean for it to be done there. Whoever planned and/or committed this crime really hated the Dermonds in my opinion. I think money is involved somehow it is root of all evil. This was a well planned, thought out and executive crime. Could be a murder for hire. I doubt the technological equipment they have been using to pick up telecommunications equipment in area of residence will turn up much. These perps would not be stupid enough to carry their own mobiles. They would have burner phones if anything or walkie talkies. I watched the video of Mr Dermond at supermarket several times. Couldn’t help but notice the younger man who entered store after him kept looking in his direction a lot while Russel was getting his trolley. After watching See No Evil so many times where they capture people on camera you start to notice these things. I think SS should get some fresh eyes on this investigation. Horrible to think these evil killers are walking the streets.

I personally don’t think it was so large a timeframe. SS says Their paper was delivered Friday and it looks like Shirley had started doing crosswords. One of Dermond’s opened an email Friday. I think It started early Sat morning because post Mortem on Shirely Dermond she was fully dressed in day clothes ready for her day but Russel was still in his pjs so probably still in bed or in process of getting up. They said Shirley usually got up from bed earlier then Russel. The man was seen on their front lawn on Saturday by a neighbour. I wonder where the Dermonds were killed. SS says they both died around same time. I really wonder where they were killed. The house was too clean for it to be done there. Whoever planned and/or committed this crime really hated the Dermonds in my opinion. I think money is involved somehow it is root of all evil. This was a well planned, thought out and executive crime. Could be a murder for hire. I doubt the technological equipment they have been using to pick up telecommunications equipment in area of residence will turn up much. These perps would not be stupid enough to carry their own mobiles. They would have burner phones if anything or walkie talkies. I watched the video of Mr Dermond at supermarket several times. Couldn’t help but notice the younger man who entered store after him kept looking in his direction a lot while Russel was getting his trolley. After watching See No Evil so many times where they capture people on camera you start to notice these things. I think SS should get some fresh eyes on this investigation. Horrible to think these evil killers are walking the streets.

I'd like to view the video of Mr Dermond in the supermarket if you've got a link handy. Interested to see the younger guy who enters the store.

What? "The man was seen on their front lawn on Saturday by a neighbour. I wonder where the Dermonds were killed." That's marvelous as I did not think one eyewitness had seen a thing at the D's on that fateful Kentucky Derby Day. Is there a description of the man who was seen on their yard?

Why both of them? Why was it important to take Russ and Shirley away then return them to their garage? Who benefited from their murders? The original Crime Scene is likely close to their home. It may require seclusion as not to attract others from the gunfire + an outdoors place for what was done to Mr. Dermond with a mighty sharp straight edge weapon.

While it is horrific, evil and sad, it may not necessarily be hatred that made the killer beat Shirley. It was a v sadistic killing. Perhaps she was made to watch her husband lose his head?

We may think of the MOB or Mafia acting this way bc this is one horrific, sadistic, double homicide. Thrill kills are premeditated murders.

The major common denominator among those who commit thrill killings is that they usually feel inadequate and are driven by a need to feel powerful. "To a certain extent, they [thrill killers] may make their victims suffer so that they can feel good," said Levin. "Sadism is fairly common in thrill killings. The killer might torture, degrade, or rape his victim before he or she takes his or her life."[4] They frequently have an "ideal victim type" who has certain physical characteristics.[1][5]

I'd like to view the video of Mr Dermond in the supermarket if you've got a link handy. Interested to see the younger guy who enters the store.

What? "The man was seen on their front lawn on Saturday by a neighbour. I wonder where the Dermonds were killed." That's marvelous as I did not think one eyewitness had seen a thing at the D's on that fateful Kentucky Derby Day. Is there a description of the man who was seen on their yard?

Why both of them? Why was it important to take Russ and Shirley away then return them to their garage? Who benefited from their murders? The original Crime Scene is likely close to their home. It may require seclusion as not to attract others from the gunfire + an outdoors place for what was done to Mr. Dermond with a mighty sharp straight edge weapon.

While it is horrific, evil and sad, it may not necessarily be hatred that made the killer beat Shirley. It was a v sadistic killing. Perhaps she was made to watch her husband lose his head?

We may think of the MOB or Mafia acting this way bc this is one horrific, sadistic, double homicide. Thrill kills are premeditated murders.

The major common denominator among those who commit thrill killings is that they usually feel inadequate and are driven by a need to feel powerful. "To a certain extent, they [thrill killers] may make their victims suffer so that they can feel good," said Levin. "Sadism is fairly common in thrill killings. The killer might torture, degrade, or rape his victim before he or she takes his or her life."[4] They frequently have an "ideal victim type" who has certain physical characteristics.[1][5]
I also recall seeing the video of RD at the market and think it may have been on a network program such as Dateline or 48 Hours. It was a long time ago.

Looks like @othram is involved now! Hopefully this will finally help crack the case.

On Wednesday, Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne learned that new DNA evidence could lead detectives to the killer.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sill said he has submitted evidence to a DNA lab operation called Othram, which discovered some new DNA.

May 24, 2023

“We continue to try new things. We had something. Whether that’s going to evolve into something else, I don’t know,” Sills said. “At this point in time, there has to be some more analysis done.”

Sills said he’s hopeful the new DNA will lead to breaks in the case, though he did say he’s not sure there’s enough to run the DNA through a national database in search of a match with a suspect.

“There has to be an additional test done to what’s been developed so far and whether or not that is potentially enough to run it through CODIS,” Sills said.

The other question is whether or not the DNA belongs to the killer.

“We have some potential DNA that may or may not be identifiable,” Sills said. “And it could still be the Dermonds.”

The sheriff said he has also now received the long-awaited results of geo-fencing, a means of identifying certain mobile devices that were active during a certain time period in a specific area, in this case, a period of time around when authorities believe the murders occurred and an area of several acres, including the Dermond home.

“There’s nobody on there with any kind of alarming criminal history,” Sills said. “And there’s nobody there, at least at this juncture, that I know has any connection to the Dermonds.”

Sills said that the new DNA could be the most significant development in the case in years.

[..]

Hi here’s the link to video of Mr Dermond at supermarket
In recent video seen on case SS said the person who saw the man on lawn couldn’t describe anything more specific about him like his race, height etc

Active, emotional pleas for justice have been almost nonexistent. It seems there's no real driving force to find the killers... almost feels as if everyone just wanted these murders to be forgotten. jmo
Yes the family haven’t been very vocal in seeking resolutions to case. The latest documentary on uTube features Brad Dermond their son but I’m surprised they haven’t been more vocal in demanding justice things like a Facebook page etc

Agree.
It’s hard to know why we are nine years out on this case. LE incompetence doesn’t really seem to be the issue even though it would be nice if SS would ask for some outside help.

—it took place in a large gated(but no working camera) neighborhood community with no thru traffic so an unfamiliar car/truck might stand out. No one saw anything.
—water access for many houses including the crime scene house. You can’t hide a boat except by darkness. Boats tend to be loud unless you’re rowing. No one saw or heard anything.
—one victim disposed by boat near a public landing. No one saw a thing.
—one victim beheaded and oddly left in the garage. But the killers never talked to anyone
—victims’ house virtually untouched. Nobody saw anything.

It’s just crazy to me this is unsolved. It seems obvious, at least to me, that there were more than one person involved. They were in the house for a period of time, arriving by vehicle or boat and not one neighbor heard or saw anything strange that is of any help at all.
Weird.
Apparently many of close neighbours were away that weekend. Could be why no one heard a boat

Looks like @othram is involved now! Hopefully this will finally help crack the case.

YIPPEE!!!!!

However, per a post on the previous page... SS told a reporter (Alcorn) there was no foreign DNA. I think Othram is a lab full of miracle workers so if anyone can find anything it will be Othram. jmo

Last edited:
Cutting-edge technology is helping law enforcement crack cases that went unsolved for decades.

SS confirmed < > that Othram Inc. is looking at evidence in the Dermonds' murders.

SS told 13WMAZ he < > flew out to Texas last fall to deliver evidence in the Dermonds case. He delivered more in March.

Sheriff Howard Sills says they got a "DNA hit" off the evidence.

< > this could very well be the Dermonds' DNA or some officer possibly even left his DNA

[Orthram says] it costs law enforcement an average of $7,500 to have evidence processed at their lab.

Putnam County sheriff: Private lab finds DNA in Dermond murders, 9-year-old cold case

Sills confirmed that he also looking into newly-obtained geo-fencing results, which help identify active mobile devices during a specific area and time frame, covering several acres including the Dermond home.

Oconee Murders: New DNA Found in Unsolved Dermond Couple Murder, Husband Found Beheaded

Something very specific I remember LE saying back when this happened and this is not exact, but that Shirley was not meant to have ever been found.
I've thought their murders were directed at one of their kids in some way ever since, and I think someone knows more than they've been saying. imo.
I can understand those thoughts due to the comment: Shirley was not meant to ever be found.

However, Shirley was attached to two cinder blocks, red in color. Pat Brown mentions it in her video posted last year. When Shirley's body bloated, it became like a raft and more than the two blocks could hold down underwater. I believe her body was lodged at a stump or pole marker in the water when she was found.

Profiler Pat Brown also suggested it was a crime gone wrong. Her theory is that some wrongdoers with a small boat crept up to the property. Initially, they were hoping to kidnap one of the elders to take them to a bank atm for withdrawals. Likely, Russ put up a fight there in the garage. Then, suddenly he is shot in the head with a small caliber .22. The evildoers plan to get atm money has gone wrong.

They have to kill Shirley and get her in the boat where she's placed in the Lake with cinder blocks attached. They whack RD's head and take it along with Shirley out on Lake Oconee. Profiler Brown thinks it's someone who lives near the water, it's over 300 miles of water, who are not very well to do, since they likely used the cinder blocks as anchors for their boat bc they're cheap.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 1.25.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 1.26.30 AM.png
Click images to enlarge.
'I remember it all quite vividly:' Putnam County sheriff speaks on 2014 unsolved murder of elderly Lake Oconee couple

I just saw where Ortham is on the case. It sparked a memory. Most of my family live in one of the rural counties surrounding Putnam County. One member lost her home to a fire. While her home was being rebuilt, her insurance company housed the family "on the lake" as they refer to the area. It was in a beautiful home in a gated community. Could the person(s) who committed these crimes been in a similar position? Surely law enforcement would have known immediate neighbors living arrangements. I wonder how many people in the community were interviewed. Just a thought that came to mind.

I just saw where Ortham is on the case. It sparked a memory. Most of my family live in one of the rural counties surrounding Putnam County. One member lost her home to a fire. While her home was being rebuilt, her insurance company housed the family "on the lake" as they refer to the area. It was in a beautiful home in a gated community. Could the person(s) who committed these crimes been in a similar position? Surely law enforcement would have known immediate neighbors living arrangements. I wonder how many people in the community were interviewed. Just a thought that came to mind.

Could be I guess but now you got me thinking what if it was something like the movie Funny Games. How frightening! But would make sense since there was no obvious motive. And no signs of forced entry or struggle or anything in the house missing. Obviously whoever did this wanted them dead but maybe it wasn't personal at all. A neat-looking teenager offering help with gardening etc may not seem suspicious to many people. I think LE may have focused on the adults living around the lake at the time (if they did check) but what about the kids :oops:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smoore9861
Back